How Do You Run?

After a conversation with some drivers today, I was wondering how people on this site view running bent. If you don’t want to incriminate yourself just vote in the poll, but be truthful.

Btw, I voted ‘Never Run Bent’

re: How Do Run
well someones got to say it

with my legs moving very fast…ill get me coat :laughing: :laughing:

i voted never, but i know in the past ive had a few minutes over before taking a break but it was only a few,like 5-10 minutes just so i could get somewhere half decent to relax, but now i would rather stop 30 minutes before my times up, than 10 minutes over just to make the next services or layby

I voted only on the odd occasion. Sometimes due to circumstances such as lack of parking or unexpected traffic I have exceeded either the 4.5 hours driving, the 13/15/16 hours I had for the day or the 9/10 hour daily driving limit. I know that isn’t exactly ‘running bent’ but it’s not legal either and given the limitations of the poll choices it was the only option I could select.

i wont run bent intentionally. maybe a couple of minutes over here and there looking for somewhere to stop but thats about it. i dont get paid enough to risk my licence or to worry about being late

may be 5-10 mins over to park up but thats your lot if my boss wanted the truck running bent he can do it himself

I have exceeded 4.5 hours once - due to traffic delays, and once gone over 15 hours (I was in the yard dead on 15hrs) when I found a leg was faulty on a box I was trying to drop - both unforseeable…

If someone asks me to go over then the answer is always no chance. The agencies I am with know I am not on tacho during my day shifts, and always seem surprised that I will take a minimum of 9 hours rest before/after working on the weekend. Even agency drivers need to sleep … … …

G

I’ve only ever done it to get home.

As it is over here there is no in cab tacho,just a log book that you fill in yourself.

The Department of Transportation allows for a 14 hour day with 11 hours of driving anyway and that is certainly enough to wear me out :cry:

SInce joining Trucknet i have found its best to drive with my fog lights on, use the outside lane, speed as much as possible, swear whenever i can preferably in front of women, welcome eastern european drivers wherever i go and offer them my home as well as my job.

NO i dont run bent i dont think the odd emergancy really counts thought but im sure someone on tnet will tell me im wrong for not running bent and in fact it would make me a far better driver to start using 3 tachos a day.

3 time sheets would be better if your hourly paid …
Think of the money man …

4 hours 31 minutes driving without a break on monday. :open_mouth: would have hit 4 hours 30 if it wasnt for the fact i had to reverse into a bay :wink:

jon

jonboy:
4 hours 31 minutes driving without a break on monday. :open_mouth: would have hit 4 hours 30 if it wasnt for the fact i had to reverse into a bay :wink:

jon

S’OK, you were under 4h30min as offroad time still isn’t counted at the moment.

Ahh, well, um, yeah right.

For speed limits and the like, I stick to them.

Because I drive what is classed as Plant Vehicles I don’t use a tachograph. But I do have enough breaks in the day, and when I was agency driving I drove legit.

But then, do you class yourself as “Driving Legit” if you do on the limiter on A roads and dual carriageways?? :open_mouth: :unamused: :question:

i voted only for my own benifit…

which means that if i had to i would.

depends what you define as ‘running bent’ to me it means deliberately ignoring the hours laws to make more money/get more work done.

I dont think there is anyone who hasnt occasionally gone over by a few min here or there though.

110% legal. and that includes speed limits.

Tony b

dennisw1:
depends what you define as ‘running bent’ to me it means deliberately ignoring the hours laws to make more money/get more work done.

That’s exactly the definition i would use, sorry, should have made it a bit clearer. To be honest though, I assumed most people would know that.

tonyb…:
110% legal. and that includes speed limits.

Tony b

100% is enough,but there still many companies who don’t will understand that the Industry is not interested anymore in doing illegal.
many factories use the lorry as part of there warehouse and send them with load from production-line at time away,that driver arrives at right time factory,how bad the contition ever is.
that’s one why you have to wait when on the road was all ok

Some interesting results on this poll.

A couple of people voting ‘as a favour to the boss’. I was once asked, when I had just left Tilbury docks, ‘did you pull your card in the docks?’ by my boss. No, I replied, I still have to find somewhere to park and if anyone knows Tilbury (Lucy?) they will know there is nowhere to park inside the docks and you are lucky if you can find a parking space in a lay-by before hitting the M25!!

I did, once, at Felixstowe, but there is ample overnight parking and I was on ‘private’ ground so no crime there (go on then, correct me…)

I also used to work for Maurice Hill Transport in Mansfield (Jammy? JB? You know… :smiley: ) and I was told that most of the drivers put a card in to get to BRC (just round the corner from the yard, steel yard next to the A38) and then put a NEW ONE IN once loaded to get the ‘most’ out of a day. I never did but it seemed to be the fashion.

It does seem that people voted truthfully on this, which I’m grateful for. We’ve all been tempted on a friday, I’m sure, when you are 20 minutes away from base, and out of time :angry: It takes a strong will to stop for 45 minutes!!