How do the traffic light cameras work?

i got flashed by one but i was doing yellow and to my understanding that was an early yellow light.

how do they work and should i expect something nasty?

Usually pressure pads in the road surface or speed camera type that’s linked to the lights. Go over the line and you get picture of rear end taken.

cheers, and at what point do people start getting into trouble?

Immediately you pass on red. The amber should be considered the stop signal.

We used to have a set in our town with cameras on. But the junction was on a sharp curve, so you’d slow up on green, 10 feet away they’d gone yellow, still slowing for the curve, by the time the back of the trailer went through photo time :smiley: :smiley:

Funny thing is, nobody ever got a ticket.

Unusually, somebody somewhere must have used some common. :open_mouth:

If you were driving an artic you might get away with it. Have heard other artic drivers say they’ve gone through one accidentally because there’s no way they could’ve stopped. But they’ve never had a ticket, one of them reckoned hat because the camera is more geared up for a car, when the tractor/cab set its off it takes a picture of the side of the trailer.

My satnav gives me a warning if I’m coming up to a red light camera, and if the light is already green I slow down anyway as I’d rather go through it slow than not be able to stop when it goes red and someone coming the other way guns it off the line.

yes, an artic with a 13m trailer, cheers, lesson learnt, hopefully not so hard way

If it got you, it’s 3 points +£100 fine or if you’ve been a good boy for the last 3 years they might offer you a ‘Patronising Better Driver Course’ usually around £100 but no points. (Take the course & be a good boy in future [emoji6])

Assuming it was a camera taking pictures from behind you might get away with it, unless it catches your tractor number plates if they’re in the same side as the camera.

If you get one, try contesting it. Worth a go saying that you were driving a large vehicle and felt you wouldn’t be able to stop safely before the line without ending up blocking the road etc blah blah blah.

The equipment records both the time elapsed since the lights changed to red AND the speed at which the vehicle is moving (this info is superimposed on the photo). It is then a simple matter to calculate whether the driver was doing a flier or simply taking a long time to get through the junction.

In any event, if they are going to issue a ticket, the registered keeper must be sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days.

Roymondo:
The equipment records both the time elapsed since the lights changed to red AND the speed at which the vehicle is moving (this info is superimposed on the photo). It is then a simple matter to calculate whether the driver was doing a flier or simply taking a long time to get through the junction.

In any event, if they are going to issue a ticket, the registered keeper must be sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days.

If you get one and appeal it, make sure you try and get all that info out of em to help you if this is the case.

It’s best to remember your HC. Amber means STOP and if you cannot stop on approach you are going too fast.
Best policy is to ease off when approaching a green light. That way you never get a ticket or cause an accident. Simple really.

albion1971:
It’s best to remember your HC. Amber means STOP and if you cannot stop on approach you are going too fast.
Best policy is to ease off when approaching a green light. That way you never get a ticket or cause an accident. Simple really.

The fact is the ridiculous establishment idea of stop on amber effectively defeats the object of the amber light.In which case it might just as well go from green to red.Bearing in mind that just the reaction time to stop from 20 mph is 20 feet let alone the quite reasonable speed of 25 mph against an amber light which changes within 15 feet of the line.Realistically the stupid idea of stop on amber requires advance warning in the form of a flashing green as in the case of places like Austria.Which is actually what the amber light is ‘supposed’ to/‘should’ be there for. :unamused:

And now you have your answer …

I just thought it was like this though

image.jpeg

I’d love to know of anyone who’s successfully stopped a fully laden artic in the split second it takes to change to red without crossing the White line or wrecking the load.[emoji15]
I only Know of 1 person who’s got away with it & it was a bus driver. I think the union told him what to say[emoji6]

Just wait & see if anything turns up bear in mind that the 1st NIP will be sent to the registered keeper. How long before you find out depends on whether the truck is leased to or owned by your company.
Alternatively, if you really want to know, you can call the central ticketing office for your area & ask if a NIP is pending for the trucks reg no.

You can’t “contest” or “appeal” an offer of a Fixed penalty, you either accept it & get 3 points £100 fine or decline & go to court.

I doubt the defence of “the brains where 65ft ahead of the camera” when it went off would work.

The old adage of “if you see a green traffic light as you approach it, what should you expect it to do” comes to mind

albion1971:

What about if your committed, too close to brake safely? My instructor taught me that once that point was reached, accelerate through… :laughing:

I still do even now :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

If the camera only flashed the once your be fine but if it flashed twice you’ve been caught

the traffic light cameras on the approach to poole along holes bay road at the adsa end are both speed and red jumpers, remember it is 30 mph.