How about working after Retirement Age?

Im 65 now but I don’t accept the 128.- the Pension Office will pay.
Nor does my Landlord

me too, i will be looking to supplement my pittance , hoping i can drop into a nice 3 day week .

Via agency, I did dustcarts and recycling, 5 days a week. Then I did night trunking for 2 nights a week. Now stopped completely.

SWEDISH BLUE:
Via agency, I did dustcarts and recycling, 5 days a week. Then I did night trunking for 2 nights a week. Now stopped completely.

MADNESS !!

Until a couple of months ago I was working with a driver who had just turned 71 doing night trunks to Scotland 4/5 nights a week. He retired a few weeks ago after an accident. There’s still another driver doing the job 3 nights a week who is 69 years old.

Agency is the best way to do it if you’re going to do it. Pick and choose what work you do and when you work.

64 me,if I have to work,I will find another job.Dont want to be in charge of 44 tonnes in case I have a heart attack,stroke or something.

Immigrant:
Nor does my Landlord

You not got a private pension?

If you’re going to carry on working think about deferring your pension, or you will pay much more income tax, remember everyone has different circumstances, one size doesn’t fit all.

Deferring is a very personal choice, for every year you defer* your pension will be slightly higher when you eventually claim it, you have to take into consideration how healthy you are and how long you expect to live to make deferring for a higher rate the better option for you personally.

*i’m not sure how many years deferring is of real benefit, something i haven’t looked into fully, sure i read somewhere that after a few years (3?) deferring becomes less rewarding but i might have misread that so seek good advice.

i reached retirement age last December,but have carried on under a FWA (flexible working agreement) with DHL, doing 3 days a week. the Company are good to me,so i’ll keep on for a while longer.i did look into deferring my state pension,but decided to claim it anyway. carrying on for the Co means i keep paying into their pension,alongside their contributions :slight_smile:

I’m 69, and still out 5 days on flats. My DCPC expires in Sept 2024, and, if i live that long, that will do for me. I’m self employed, OD, in a nice part of Scotland, and seldom go more than 200 miles from base. I keep away from the madness, South of say, Preston.
There’s a bit of running in my old Scania yet, so I’d like to carry on for a bit. To be honest, I’ll miss it. Ive got a decent amount in a pension fund, and reasonable ISAs and other savings, plus assets in land, so i can go whenever i fancy. Its a handy position to be in, but one wee bit of advice I’ll give you, from a man who was much wiser than I.
“If you want to make God smile, tell him your long term plans”

It just goes to show,that many have been relying on the state pension to live on in retirement.Never gave it a thought to take out a private pension or be in a works pension as retirement was YEARS away. Now its to late and have to think about working after retirement age.
Maybe I was fortunate in my earlier years 30/40ish to have jobs that had company pensions,transferring pensions from one to another as I moved on,which abled me to hang up my keys at 65 never to get behind a wheel again.
My mistake was not starting a scheme early in life,like my Daughter did at 19 she now at 50 has a substantial pension pot.

Immigrant:
Nor does my Landlord

State pension is £185 PW. Don’t you have a full contribution history?

lolipop:
It just goes to show,that many have been relying on the state pension to live on in retirement.Never gave it a thought to take out a private pension or be in a works pension as retirement was YEARS away. Now its to late and have to think about working after retirement age.
Maybe I was fortunate in my earlier years 30/40ish to have jobs that had company pensions,transferring pensions from one to another as I moved on,which abled me to hang up my keys at 65 never to get behind a wheel again.
My mistake was not starting a scheme early in life,like my Daughter did at 19 she now at 50 has a substantial pension pot.

When I had the business I took out a Gold Star pension, premier league stuff,.all planned up to retire at 50 leading a rock star’s life :sunglasses: I should be sat on Cocacabana beach drinking Pina Coladas with the Porsche 911 parked up the road today as we speak. :smiley:
Life bit me on the arse and I went bust …guess the first thing the ■■■■■■■■ took?

So it looks as if I’ll be trucking for a good while yet, it’s a good job that I feel absolutely no resemblance to my age,.and in my head I’m still about 35ish, :laughing: …until some ■■■■ reminds me that is. :smiley:

At the moment my ‘‘pension’’ relies on losing people that I care for unfortunately…,.so atm I’m fine to carry on.

Old John:
I’m 69, and still out 5 days on flats. My DCPC expires in Sept 2024, and, if i live that long, that will do for me. I’m self employed, OD, in a nice part of Scotland, and seldom go more than 200 miles from base. I keep away from the madness, South of say, Preston.
There’s a bit of running in my old Scania yet, so I’d like to carry on for a bit. To be honest, I’ll miss it. Ive got a decent amount in a pension fund, and reasonable ISAs and other savings, plus assets in land, so i can go whenever i fancy. Its a handy position to be in, but one wee bit of advice I’ll give you, from a man who was much wiser than I.

Life is to short to be “plodding” down the road at 69, retire and enjoy what you have earned, there are no pockets in shrouds you cant take it with you to spend. You never know whats around the corner,spend and enjoy. Forget about "leaving something" for the kids. As my kids say you have earned it spend it and enjoy yourself,as they know the home is theirs when we are gone, so they dont need our money as well

lolipop:

Old John:

Life is to short to be “plodding” down the road at 69, retire and enjoy what you have earned, there are no pockets in shrouds you cant take it with you to spend. You never know whats around the corner,spend and enjoy. Forget about "leaving something" for the kids. As my kids say you have earned it spend it and enjoy yourself,as they know the home is theirs when we are gone, so they dont need our money as well

Got to agree with that, if you work all your life, do it, knock it on the head and enjoy yourself.
That was always ny plan anyhoo.

I don’t understand why anyone would want to work after 65 but if you need the pennies I suppose you need to carry on. Surely nobody would carry on for the love of the job especially the way things are now.
I was lucky enough to take early retirement and I have loved every minute of it so far. I have plenty to keep me busy though and I suppose some, like a friend of mine back home gets bored and wishes he was back at work. Mind you he is a tight bar steward and loves making money. If you have enough I would 100% recommend quitting. :smiley:

All the best laid plans etc, Broon raided the pensions years ago doing hsi bit to help the working classes :unamused: and the present lot are doing their best to bury a hidden Claymore to catch you just as you reach the final hurdle.

I’m carrying on for a while, its an easy job with short hours and working weeks that pays very well, considering what previous work has been like through the years this is but a part time series of days out sightseeing, and yes i still enjoy it.
Plus re the best laid plans etc, anyone’s guess what those who own the world and their stooges have planned next.

For those who are planning retiring, i’d suggest keeping up the DCPC classes, especially if the company pay you to do so, you can’t ever guarantee what your pension will finally be until it starts arriving in your account and a couple of days a week trunking might just make all the difference, my ex union senior steward lost more than a third of what his pension should have been due to Gordon Broon.

jakethesnake:
I don’t understand why anyone would want to work after 65 but if you need the pennies I suppose you need to carry on. Surely nobody would carry on for the love of the job especially the way things are now.
I was lucky enough to take early retirement and I have loved every minute of it so far. I have plenty to keep me busy though and I suppose some, like a friend of mine back home gets bored and wishes he was back at work. Mind you he is a tight bar steward and loves making money. If you have enough I would 100% recommend quitting. :smiley:

Because retirement age is no longer 65?

It’s 68 for me, assuming it doesn’t change again.

I’d Hooe to at East slow down by then. I’m due a Royal Mail pension at 60 so I’ll likely defer that until maybe 65, then take it and drop back in terms of days.

But hey its 28 years away and anything could happen. The key thing is to ensure I have facilities in place (pensions etc) to be able to use them when the time comes.

My dad hammered it into me about joining a workplace pension as soon as I could which was sound advice. Sadly the majority of workplace schemes these days just pay in the bare minimum they have to by law so it’s always work considering along with any pay package on offer what the deal is in terms of pension contributions.

lolipop:

Old John:

Plodding? Plodding?? To ■■■■ with plodding.

Flat to the mat, there’s life in the old dog yet.

i actually still do enjoy the job :open_mouth: :laughing: usually do a couple of local stores on Tuesday,followed by 2 trips to the i.o.w Wed’s and Thursday happy day’s :slight_smile: when i get fed of running over to the Island,will be the day i hand in my retirement notice.