How about working after Retirement Age?

Nah sod working after retirement for a game o soldiers, I retired years ago at 65 I’d done my 50 years toil. 65+ is MY time.
I did have a private pension but that wasn’t much, pittance in fact, I get my full state pension & I’m happy as Larry, Never had as much money in my back pocket compared to the low drivers wages of years ago. I don’t have any debt, Never had credit cards or loans just my debit card, The mortgage was paid off decades ago so I do as I want.

I`ve recently sort of drifted into retirement.

I did a few months after official retirement age: Covid meant travel restrictions, and I wanted to keep mobile.
I renewed my licence, but then caught an injury, keeping me off trucks.
Fit to drive now, however I`m in no rush to return.

I may do a bit of full time holiday relief, but I dont fancy local stuff. Its gotta be summat interesting, and (sorry) stupid Brexit has taken away a lot of our more interesting work, and increased the boring bits.

As said in other posts, get money in pensions as soon as you can. Doubtless the goalposts will change around, but better to get in as early as possible.

Best to keep on working ,till you drop.No joke, i know plenty who retired and either died within a year or so ,or who are so unhappy in retirement mostly bored/lonely it drives them to despair.A few years ago i planned on having a year out ,after 2 months i was gagging to work. Its not all about money either,chap i know won lottery gave up his small biz and sailed round the world -twice.Had a place in Aus but was bored silly and ended up back locally set up a similar biz to what he had prior and seems happy enough. Fine if you retire and can relax but many cannot

Juddian:
Deferring is a very personal choice, for every year you defer* your pension will be slightly higher when you eventually claim it, you have to take into consideration how healthy you are

This for me is much more important than any extra tax. The 71 year old I mentioned I first started to work alongside when he was 62. He started to go downhill fairly noticeably over the last few years going from someone who you’d have thought was 10 years younger to doddery old bloke shuffling around the truck, taking ages to do anything. So now he’s effectively starting his retirement when he’s physically knoackered and less able to enjoy things instead of starting it 3,4,5,6 years ago when he was able to do anything. Worst part about it is he didn’t even need to work, he had pensions that had him well sorted from a money point of view.

I’m whacking every spare bit of cash I can into my pension because I have absolutely no intention of working past 65 which was the state retirement age when I started my working life. And if the maths works out and I can retire before that I will.

Immigrant:
Im 65 now but I don’t accept the 128.- the Pension Office will pay.
Nor does my Landlord

Only another 3 years to go for you, pension is £185 not 128 unless you don`t have enough stamps to qualify

toonsy:

jakethesnake:
I don’t understand why anyone would want to work after 65 but if you need the pennies I suppose you need to carry on. Surely nobody would carry on for the love of the job especially the way things are now.
I was lucky enough to take early retirement and I have loved every minute of it so far. I have plenty to keep me busy though and I suppose some, like a friend of mine back home gets bored and wishes he was back at work. Mind you he is a tight bar steward and loves making money. If you have enough I would 100% recommend quitting. :smiley:

Because retirement age is no longer 65?

It’s 68 for me, assuming it doesn’t change again.

I’d Hooe to at East slow down by then. I’m due a Royal Mail pension at 60 so I’ll likely defer that until maybe 65, then take it and drop back in terms of days.

But hey its 28 years away and anything could happen. The key thing is to ensure I have facilities in place (pensions etc) to be able to use them when the time comes.

My dad hammered it into me about joining a workplace pension as soon as I could which was sound advice. Sadly the majority of workplace schemes these days just pay in the bare minimum they have to by law so it’s always work considering along with any pay package on offer what the deal is in terms of pension contributions.

Just food for thought, many company pensions after 60 don`t make much more money even if you defer it until your final day I collected at 20% at 60 along with a lump sum and still worked at the same place til 65

lolipop:

Immigrant:
Nor does my Landlord

Only another 3 years to go for you, pension is £185 not 128 unless you don`t have enough stamps to qualify

Pension age is only 66 now, rising to 67 for another 15 years.

Still driving 3 to 4 days a week, as a straw merchant it’s good to still keep meeting old friends at collection and delivery farms. At 75 keeps me fit strapping downs loads of straw and the driving keeps the mind active. Still have plenty of time in the week to pursue other interests, can’t beat the old saying work hard play hard

lolipop:

toonsy:

jakethesnake:
I don’t understand why anyone would want to work after 65 but if you need the pennies I suppose you need to carry on. Surely nobody would carry on for the love of the job especially the way things are now.
I was lucky enough to take early retirement and I have loved every minute of it so far. I have plenty to keep me busy though and I suppose some, like a friend of mine back home gets bored and wishes he was back at work. Mind you he is a tight bar steward and loves making money. If you have enough I would 100% recommend quitting. :smiley:

I’d Hooe to at East slow down by then. I’m due a Royal Mail pension at 60 so I’ll likely defer that until maybe 65, then take it and drop back in terms of days.

But hey its 28 years away and anything could happen. The key thing is to ensure I have facilities in place (pensions etc) to be able to use them when the time comes.

My dad hammered it into me about joining a workplace pension as soon as I could which was sound advice. Sadly the majority of workplace schemes these days just pay in the bare minimum they have to by law so it’s always work considering along with any pay package on offer what the deal is in terms of pension contributions.

Just food for thought, many company pensions after 60 don`t make much more money even if you defer it until your final day I collected at 20% at 60 along with a lump sum and still worked at the same place til 65

Yeah course, a lot going into a safer investment so they become less volatile closer towards retirement age which makes sense even more so now when it’s become clear that even small shifts in markets can wipe out a lot of money so less exposure to that with less time to rebalance it is why pots are often moved to lower risk funds.

I think my current plan makes my pension available to me at 60, and say its 100k as a pot for arguments sake (it will be more than that). If I’m still working there’s no point in taking it because say I live to 85 again for arguments sake, that 100k has to last me 25 years. If I keep going even with no more paid in and take it at 68 that 100k needs to last only 17 years. That’s a difference of about 2k a year assuming I take no lump sum.

Also taking it along with a salary means that my tax allowance is used by my pension therefore I’d effectively he paying tax sooner on any wages I earn.

toonsy:

lolipop:

toonsy:

jakethesnake:

Yeah course, a lot going into a safer investment so they become less volatile closer towards retirement age which makes sense even more so now when it’s become clear that even small shifts in markets can wipe out a lot of money so less exposure to that with less time to rebalance it is why pots are often moved to lower risk funds.

I think my current plan makes my pension available to me at 60, and say its 100k as a pot for arguments sake (it will be more than that). If I’m still working there’s no point in taking it because say I live to 85 again for arguments sake, that 100k has to last me 25 years. If I keep going even with no more paid in and take it at 68 that 100k needs to last only 17 years. That’s a difference of about 2k a year assuming I take no lump sum.

Also taking it along with a salary means that my tax allowance is used by my pension therefore I’d effectively he paying tax sooner on any wages I earn.

Work pension plus state pension no NI taxed only on my works pension, no mortgage now, car paid off owe nothing to anybody. I have the same amount of lump sum as i had when I retired 11 years ago and I have spent a lot on 3 holidays a year plus work done around the house.

Personally I can not see why anybody who can comfortably afford not to work would want to. :unamused:
If working was any good the upper classes would do it. :bulb:

It’s like these ■■■■ chumps who win the lottery and carry on working…why tf did they buy a ticket in the first place??

After saying that I know of a guy who still.does the continent in his 70s, his wife died, he lives on his own,.and he just hangs around the house otherwise,.so I suppose I can see his point tbf,.abd it’s a job he loves, not an ordinary run of the mill AtoB one.

If it was me single again and plenty of cash to hand,.I too would ‘‘do the continent’’ ,…but not in a ■■■■ truck. :smiley:

lolipop:

Old John:
I’m 69, and still out 5 days on flats. My DCPC expires in Sept 2024, and, if i live that long, that will do for me. I’m self employed, OD, in a nice part of Scotland, and seldom go more than 200 miles from base. I keep away from the madness, South of say, Preston.
There’s a bit of running in my old Scania yet, so I’d like to carry on for a bit. To be honest, I’ll miss it. Ive got a decent amount in a pension fund, and reasonable ISAs and other savings, plus assets in land, so i can go whenever i fancy. Its a handy position to be in, but one wee bit of advice I’ll give you, from a man who was much wiser than I.
“If you want to make God smile, tell him your long term plans”

Life is to short to be “plodding” down the road at 69, retire and enjoy what you have earned, there are no pockets in shrouds you cant take it with you to spend. You never know whats around the corner,spend and enjoy. Forget about "leaving something" for the kids. As my kids say you have earned it spend it and enjoy yourself,as they know the home is theirs when we are gone, so they dont need our money as well

100% correct!!!
I fully intend to cut WAY back in another 3yrs time when I reach 60yrs,
maybe work 2/3 days/week over Winter.
Have good pensions to draw from and fully intend to enjoy the Summers maybe head back over to USA do another harvest run or two,
quite fancy similar in OZ/NZ too!!!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

There should be like a fund where drivers pay in voluntarily so 65+ can be paid from it to stay off the roads :smiley:

Retired at 65, 5 years ago, stepped down from cab and have never looked back, got 2 private pension plus state pension, no mortgage and saved a tidy sum so happy, not interested in working till I drop, 53 years of driving that’s enough.got 4 holidays booked and intend to book a few more, next one starts tomorrow

Deferring your pension is madness - just a con by the government.

Think about it - pension is about 8k a year - defer it say for two years 16k.

Enhanced pension is what, say an extra £20 a week divide that into 16k…

You would have to live 'til you’re about 82 before you break even.

No, claim it and salt it away - savings account whatever.

If the worst happens and you die before you claim it then the government is laughing and your loved ones have nada.

Grab it while you can at least it’s there stashed even if you don’t need it to live on.

lolipop:

Immigrant:
Nor does my Landlord

No, if he’s 65 now he will reach State Pension age next year (2023) on his 66th birthday.

Socketset:
Deferring your pension is madness - just a con by the government.

Think about it - pension is about 8k a year - defer it say for two years 16k.

Enhanced pension is what, say an extra £20 a week divide that into 16k…

No, claim it and salt it away - savings account whatever.

If the worst happens and you die before you claim it then the government is laughing and your loved ones have nada.

Grab it while you can at least it’s there stashed even if you don’t need it to live on.

If only it was that simple. For example, if you are currently in a well-paid job (or have other income streams in addition to your job) it may well be that your £9600 (that’s a bit more than 8k…) State Pension would be taxed at 40% rather than 20%. That’s almost £75 a week in tax (£7700 over the two years mentioned). Also bear in mind that if you do defer it, the whole amount you get is subject to the “triple lock” annual increase, so the extra £21 a week you get by deferring for two years gets boosted every year for as long as you live. Also remember that savings you’ve stashed away can impact upon other Benefits you may become entitled to in later years, as well as being hoovered up should you need care (either at home or in a residential setting) in your dotage. Get some professional advice (even if you have to pay for it).

stu675:

lolipop:

Immigrant:
Nor does my Landlord

No, it’s already 67 years for anyone born after 1963. There are plans/proposals to increase it further to 68 years in the next few years.

Roymondo:

stu675:

lolipop:

Immigrant:
Nor does my Landlord

No, it’s already 67 years for anyone born after 1963. There are plans/proposals to increase it further to 68 years in the next few years.

i just put my birth year in ( 1961) and it’s showing me as retiring at 67 ( 2028 )

Socketset:

Someone 65 today could easily expect 50% to live to mid eighties, and have a 25% chance of the early nineties.
A lot of variables though.

Do ya feel lucky?