House of Lords Q&As on Driver Shortage

And some seem to know where the real problems lie.

Interesting, looks like the cheap labour is not incoming then :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

weeto:
And some seem to know where the real problems lie.
https://youtu.be/fGteW_KViqk

Not much there that gives any cause for optimism tbh. Platitudeathon a go go. What a crock of piffle.

Is there a TLDR version?

At least 1 got it right and put the blame squarely on the haulage industry it’s self for paying poor wages having poor terms and conditions, having bad management and a failure to offer training to the next generation of drivers, even though there is government funding available for this, some are but not enough, and the companies are blaming others for their failure to recruit drivers.

love the response truck driving is a white male dominated industry.
whod of thought that . i could of told them that.
there good at talking.
all talk no action that’s the problem.

edd1974:
love the response truck driving is a white male dominated industry.

Of course it is. That doesn’t mean to say that it’s institutionally racist though. If anything it tells me that people of colour are actually smarter than their white counterparts and tend to work smart, not hard.

there was a lot of noble knobs in that vid… :unamused:

Baroness Vere of Norbiton, she’s the roads minister dealing with this, she knows precisely what’s going on and not falling for any of the RHA’s “the sky’s falling in!” nonsense, listen carefully she’s saying “this mess is entirely of your members making and you’ve known about it for years but chosen to ignore it, you need to sort your mess out”

Cpc here to stay [emoji383][emoji383]

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

A good business owner (any business), plans ahead and finds solutions to problems before they happen.

A bad business owner blames everyone else for their own shortsightedness. “It nothing to do with me, it Covid, Brexit, IR35, dumb drivers and dumb politicians, I am faultless and without any blame whatsoever”.

Sitting on the sidelines and being one of the 70,000 HGV drivers not currently driving, I am STILL seeing HGV driving jobs at £9 hour. I am still seeing trucks struggling to find somewhere to park of a night and I am still seeing an industry with very little attraction.

I WOULD bring the army in… Not to drive the trucks, but to manage those companies. It is frightening to think that our sources of supply, to power our economy and put food on the shelves, has so many incompetents drifting around in some self induced haze at the top end.

LIBERTY_GUY:
A good business owner (any business), plans ahead and finds solutions to problems before they happen.

A bad business owner blames everyone else for their own shortsightedness. “It nothing to do with me, it Covid, Brexit, IR35, dumb drivers and dumb politicians, I am faultless and without any blame whatsoever”.

Sitting on the sidelines and being one of the 70,000 HGV drivers not currently driving, I am STILL seeing HGV driving jobs at £9 hour. I am still seeing trucks struggling to find somewhere to park of a night and I am still seeing an industry with very little attraction.

I WOULD bring the army in… Not to drive the trucks, but to manage those companies. It is frightening to think that our sources of supply, to power our economy and put food on the shelves, has so many incompetents drifting around in some self induced haze at the top end.

Gov takeover of private enterprise by military force?
Righto.
Would that be with a ■■■■■■■■, or hammer and sickle, flag?

LIBERTY_GUY:

Bring the Army in… to manage businesses ? There are not enough ROFL emoticons available on the internet to give that comment the response it truly deserves.

If you want to make the problem about 1000x worse, then sure, go ahead.

DCPCFML:
Bring the Army in… to manage businesses ? There are not enough ROFL emoticons available on the internet to give that comment the response it truly deserves.

The last paragraph was in levity, but the fact that everything else above that paragraph is ignored, brings in the point that the entire industry is running around like a headless chicken - including many drivers.

House of Lords shouldn’t be wasting their time pandering to incompetent business owners.

LIBERTY_GUY:

DCPCFML:

The last paragraph was in levity, but the fact that everything else above that paragraph is ignored, brings in the point that the entire industry is running around like a headless chicken - including many drivers.

House of Lords shouldn’t be wasting their time pandering to incompetent business owners.

I quite agree. Government should keep their beaks out for once and let the market find its own level. If that means a tin of beans goes up by 10p because none of us will haul our arses up off the sofa for less than 30 quid an hour, so be it.

I must say I’m disappointed to see the likes of Shipley Transport and Longs of Leeds still in business. Clearly there’s still plenty of drivers out there who refuse to grow a pair and will work for a few pence above minimum wage.

yes and no its the businesses fault as far as ee drivers/workforce go. dont forget back in 2016 they had 2 years to sort it before brexit was supposed to happen. Back then there was lots of propergander flying around about how all the ee’s were going to go home. They didnt and infact more came in. Then we had cameron messing around for a month trying to find a way to back pedel before he resigned. then we were lumbered with May mesing around for a year pretending to want brexit and wringing her hands about how nasty the european comission are. Then when she got herself relected made it quite clear to anyone that hadnt seen it before she didnt want brexit by all the ludicrous plans they put together that luckly were blocked by our gov and house of commons etc. Then finaly we got Boris who did what he was supposed to do.

Saw a job advertised yesterday for a driver trainer for Widnes and Catterick garrison, maybe its just a normal advert, or maybe they are going to be training some troops up…christmas is coming, the government will not want empty shelves then.

I think that the supermarkets are equally to blame for the crisis themselves. They are dictating how much they can charge for a tin of beans etc, how much to stock and what time they expect their deliveries, 10 mins over their allotted time they simply turn away a truck that may have been travelling to them for most of the day. They make maximum profit on the back of getting deliveries from a haulier at minimum cost. Then expect the government to step in and sort out because of their greed. No chance of becoming an owner driver because of the cut throat pricing with hauliers buying in work. One small problem with you’re truck that can send you into liquidation. There is no quick fix to this problem as even if food prices rose, the supermarkets would simply see this as extra profit for their share holders and this would not be passed down the chain to help the hauliers to recruit more drivers and improve their additional costs. They think it is everyone elses problem to fix with government money or to bring in cheap labour from other third world poor countrys. Hauliers should sort their problems out themselves. Pay a decent rate to their drivers and pass this additional cost onto their customers, The supermarkets have two options, raise food prices to meet the same profit levels or take a cut in profits and stop paying huge dividends to their share holders. Hauliers need to stop the cut throat buying of contracts and charge the rate they need to pay their drivers. It really is that simple. The government know it too, hence the house of Lords and the government refusing to take responsibililty. Bring back rates that would allow owner operators to once again become feasible and profitable. There is no shortage of drivers just a shortage of moral and drivers that are not prepared to work for a minimum wage and forced to work 60 hrs in order to earn a wage that should be paid for a 40 hr.

rearaxle:
Cpc here to stay [emoji383][emoji383]

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Yes, it is a safety issue; unlike increasing hours worked, reducing rest, lowering test pass standards et al.

I’ve been trying to work out how much prices will rise if drivers were given a proper wage. Difficult to get to a figure but assuming each truck holds 26 pallets, so a £1.15 increase for each pallet assuming it’s on the truck for a whole day and the drivers getting an extra £30 for that days work. There could be 100s of single items on one pallet depending on what those items are obviously, and most items will have been on 2 or 3 other truck journeys either from the ports or manufacturers together with other items. I worked out that each item will go up by 0.003p to 0.007p, again depending on size. No doubt I’ve missed something here but whenever someone tells me about huge price rises in the shops because of greedy drivers I throw this at them.