Hopeless

So today was my first day on class 1, ive started for a new company on powder tankers so i set off from the yard to the quarry loaded up to just shy off 44ton get to my drop in blackpol nice and early . Got see the guy in the office tells me where to go so i procede to ATTEMPT to reverse into position so after 4 or 5 shunts i get it as close as i can .A crowd of mixer driver were all standing around slightly ammused and jerred once i was close enough . So with the little story how crap was your first day out on the road on your own
?

1st day in class 1 and your straight into powder tankers. You’ve done well. I mguessing you need precision reversing I wish you good luck in the coming weeks. Once you get it though and stop thinking about it it does get easier.
A tip I had off here was steer with bottom of the steering wheel, if you want trailer to go left then turn the bottom of the steering wheel to the left.
It worked for me and takes the thought out of it

My first job was a blind side reverse in Milton Keynes, took about 25 minutes and the warehouse staff pulled open the door to watch :blush: :laughing:
It is always hard starting off, took my a while for the starting place to ‘click’
Once you know to get the bend in the right place you can start to look like you know what you’re doing, with practice you’ll know when it’s not right a how to correct it with ease(normally).
Good luck!!

Until…like me you go from years in a fixed tri-axle trailer to a rear steer & have to learn how to reverse again as I always seem to over steer it

My worst night ever was reversing onto the Fleetwood to Larne boat took me a few shunts more than a few and all the drivers behind me were out watching me make a hames of it it was my first time to do this and I was nervous. All I got was bloody women drivers.

Nothing wrong with admitting you’re still learning the ropes! I’ve often found acknowledging this often cuts the mickey taking …

As above, play the NEWBIE card! :smiley:

I still do! :open_mouth:
I need to… :blush:

Mate,…don’t worry about it, everybody on here has had to learn it, and believe me one day it will just become second nature to you.

I’ve done this job a while now, and can usually back an artic in anywhere, but I still make a complete Horlicks now and again…usually when somebody is watching :blush: :laughing:

Take no notice of the ■■■■ takers (especially other drivers)if they had anything about them they would guide you in, and usually a proper driver will do just that.
So stick in mate it WILL come. :wink:

You ask about first day on backing an artic, I had a brand new Magirus Deutz which was a cut above the old Atkinsons and ERFs that were in the yard with me.
It was a short arsed tipper trailer, and like you I was making a balls of it.
Luckily my Dad was with me for the ride and he guided me in, ‘‘Left hand down, take some off, hard round now’’ and all the rest of it, I could tell what the other drivers in the old day cabbed ERF 180s, were thinking, being jealous of my top range 310 twin bunk sleeper,…big fancy motor, boy doing a man’s job, …needs his Dad to tell him what to do :blush:
:laughing:

Your first proper reverse always seem to occur with an audience.

It seems to be one of those work rituals (not disimilar to Swarfega in your hair, a bag of plaster being thrown at you or those freshmen ceremonies in the USA).

If you’re a complete rookie at reversing it’ll show as soon as you position the wagon for yer first go at it. This is the cue for all the old hands to gather round and giggle, it happens and I don’t think it’s likely to change.

The only comfort you can take is once you’ve mastered the art and you’re one hitting it blind side, you’ll then be able to gather with other ‘seasoned pro’s’ and giggle at other noobs.

my first proper reverse was into this gap :open_mouth:

IMAG0138.jpg

no doubt i positioned myself badly and f*d up the first attempt. :blush: Of course there were public and car drivers watching me as i was blocking the whole bloody high street. :smiling_imp: So had to start from scratch again, got too close to the opposite side’s street furniture but managed to make it inside without hitting anything.

you may be sure those building have scratches and scars all over the place there :grimacing:

I am in my mates wagon while mine is in for mot, Ive been making a right ■■■ of my self getting used to gears again.
It’s been a bit better on the second half of the day :laughing:

robroy:
Mate,…don’t worry about it, everybody on here has had to learn it, and believe me one day it will just become second nature to you.

I’ve done this job a while now, and can usually back an artic in anywhere, but I still make a complete Horlicks now and again…usually when somebody is watching :blush: :laughing:

Take no notice of the ■■■■ takers (especially other drivers)if they had anything about them they would guide you in, and usually a proper driver will do just that.

You ask about first day on backing an artic, I had a brand new Magirus Deutz which was a cut above the old Atkinsons and ERFs that were in the yard with me.
Luckily my Dad was with me for the ride and he guided me in, ‘‘Left hand down, take some off, hard round now’’ and all the rest of it, I could tell what the other drivers in the old day cabbed ERF 180s, were thinking, being jealous of my top range 310 twin bunk sleeper,…big fancy motor, boy doing a man’s job, …needs his Dad to tell him what to do :blush:

In the seventies I used to work for a Deutz dealership and those 310’s were the mutts nuts.

If I remember rightly the 232’s were V8’s but the 310 was a V10 lump.

Had a synchro box in them too which was a novelty then.

Only four or five! well done son it took me at least ten attempts to get on my first loading bay :blush: these days I find it funny when make a mess of it.

Of course if it’s the goods in goons taking the ■■■■, the thing to do is to climb out the cab, chuck 'em the keys and say you do it I’m off for a brew.

Laughter ceases, awkward shuffling of feet begins :smiley:

Priest:
got too close to the opposite side’s street furniture but managed to make it inside without hitting anything. :grimacing:

Well done for that then. No damage is the main thing, speed comes with experience - usually :wink:

Been driving artics 46 year and still screw up, if thats the worst problem you ever have the no worries. dont think/cars what others do/say etc just do it your way. those mixer drivers are ■■■■■■■■■ for not helping you. we were all in same postion once. crack on drive

boony:
So today was my first day on class 1, ive started for a new company on powder tankers so i set off from the yard to the quarry loaded up to just shy off 44ton get to my drop in blackpol nice and early . Got see the guy in the office tells me where to go so i procede to ATTEMPT to reverse into position so after 4 or 5 shunts i get it as close as i can .A crowd of mixer driver were all standing around slightly ammused and jerred once i was close enough . So with the little story how crap was your first day out on the road on your own
?

:smiley: park there drive we will move the silo to you or back up close enuff and put a long pipe on :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing: works for me every time :blush:

Well the second day come today and my confidence is growing slightly more , did a couple of half decent reverses today and they went ok .
Had a little moment on the a53 (LEEK ROAD ) struggling for traction after a car anchored up for no real reason
But a max weight it really didnt want to get going again .

Unless you’re unfortunate enough to have an Iveco or new Merc (some, probably not all, don’t have any from of air dump, brilliant design :unamused: ), dump the mid lift or tag axle air when you need traction.

Don’t you worry about the reversing, it’ll click in time.

Socketset:

robroy:

In the seventies I used to work for a Deutz dealership and those 310’s were the mutts nuts.

If I remember rightly the 232’s were V8’s but the 310 was a V10 lump.

Had a synchro box in them too which was a novelty then.

And a night heater as standard…now that WAS a novelty in 1979 :laughing: