Hopeless

If you learn anything from this is, when you see another driver struggling, always offer to give him a hand and guide him in.

You learn from watching others and your own mistakes.

You’ll get there mate, I’m still learning myself when I get the chance to roll round in a Class 1

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

A wise man learns from his own mistakes.
A wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes.

ALWAYS help other people when/if you can - ignore the. “Well, if you can’t get that in there”, type. They are stuck in their generation and rarely alter.

We all had to learn and by helping you learn from it as well.

Stop worrying and if the space is there - use it, don’t struggle!

Socketset:
Of course if it’s the goods in goons taking the ■■■■, the thing to do is to climb out the cab, chuck 'em the keys and say you do it I’m off for a brew.

Laughter ceases, awkward shuffling of feet begins :smiley:

When I was a TM in Birmingham, one of our loading bays was really tricky. You had to reverse through a door, not much wider than the trailer and there was a wall opposite and to the right. Experienced drivers would frequently make a right hash of it and no amount of “left a bit - right a bit” would help.

Most mornings, before I started on the paperwork, I would back one of our trailers inside to be tipped, so I had plenty of practice. On two occasions, a driver did pretty much just that - never thinking that some git in a suit would be able to do it.

Wouldn’t worry. I drive VANS, get the odd proper truck, So when I reverse I make a ■■■■ of it. Unless I’ve got somebody watching me back. I find saying explaining the situation to onlookers and asking for help works. That way if they laugh, told you so works

You drove one of these?

Yeh, that’s the one, but it was red and white on a T reg.
My mate was an owner driver, he taught me prior to training school, and I done hol relief for him after passing my test.
It looks dated now, but was the dog’s at that time, and miles ahead of British trucks of the same age.

Wow!! Bet they didn’t have a semi auto 'box!

theantbox:

A 10 speed synchro range change as far as I remember. Air cooled, twin bunk, night heater, and comfortable to drive.
That window in the pass side door was very handy, apart from passers by seeing you sat in your undercrackers when parked up on a night out. :smiley:

Being fairly new myself only been driving 3 months, I was actually surprised by the lack of help other drivers give when they watch you struggling! Not sure why I just assumed most drivers would help you out not stand there with arms folded. Personally I find helping others back in to parking spots etc and just general watching helps me learn alot! Sometimes I’ll even just go out my way to ask someone to watch me back the foreigner chaps always seem to be more happy to than my fellow Englishmen!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

robroy:

theantbox:

A 10 speed synchro range change as far as I remember. Air cooled, twin bunk, night heater, and comfortable to drive.
That window in the pass side door was very handy, apart from passers by seeing you sat in your undercrackers when parked up on a night out. :smiley:

I’d love to have a go in one. But would probably swear at it and make the 'box go bang! Hold on, call me stupid but is a syncro use clutch? If so, all good.

robroy:

theantbox:

And…

I had you down as a thong kind of bloke :laughing:

raxore:
Being fairly new myself only been driving 3 months, I was actually surprised by the lack of help other drivers give when they watch you struggling! Not sure why I just assumed most drivers would help you out not stand there with arms folded. Personally I find helping others back in to parking spots etc and just general watching helps me learn alot! Sometimes I’ll even just go out my way to ask someone to watch me back the foreigner chaps always seem to be more happy to than my fellow Englishmen!

A proper driver will always help you and guide you in mate, whatever nationality, …the knobs and driver impersonators won’t :bulb:
It’s what we all done once over, (and not THAT long ago either) as a matter of course, along with other courteous actions among drivers.

You as a newbie will go far with your attitude bud, so carry on helping …, it’s one more of us and one less of them. :wink:

Also don’t be praising foreign drivers on her ffs, it does not fit in with the agenda of the many foreign driver haters on here, . :unamused:
Of which I aint one btw.

theantbox:

robroy:

theantbox:

And…

Yeh come to think of it I was then.
I looked really cool man, sat there getting ready, in my leopard print thong, permed mullet and Magnum tache with Aviator mirrored shades to accessorise, then a splash of Brut, beige flares, silk shirt and platform boots, and out of the cab looking for the nearest Disco bar, on the pull :sunglasses: …it was 1979 after all :smiley:

robroy:

theantbox:

robroy:

theantbox:

And…

Yeh come to think of it I was then.
I looked really cool man, sat there getting ready, in my leopard print thong, permed mullet and Magnum tache with Aviator mirrored shades to accessorise, then a splash of Brut, beige flares, silk shirt and platform boots, and out of the cab looking for the nearest Disco bar, on the pull :sunglasses: …it was 1979 after all :smiley:

:open_mouth: :smiley: :sunglasses: I think

red7jase:
1st day in class 1 and your straight into powder tankers. You’ve done well.

That’s nothing ^^^ When I was driving car transporters for Inchcape Automotive they trained up a young lad from the office who’d never even driven a truck in his life, let alone a car transporter!

He passed his HGV test on the Friday, and was out on the following Monday morning with a fully loaded car transporter!

I’d already gained 20 years experience on artics before I even got near a car transporter… I fancied it when I first got my HGV but some old fella told me ‘forget it son, you’re far too young with no experience so you’ve got NO chance!’

I shouldn’t have listened, because as the story above proves… occasionally, in life WHO you know is sometimes far more important than WHAT you know!! :unamused:

Not everyone can do it right first time, don’t let it worry you, 42 years of it and sometimes I have to do a shunt or two to get into a spot I have gone into first time many times. There will be many more days when you don’t get it right first time and by the way, those guys who stood around mocking you are usually far worse than you, they just laugh to put the attention elsewhere.

i helped a driver onto a bay at arla hoddesdon round the back 1 night…after about 10 minutes and many shunts he got there in the end…i said when he got out…new driver??..he said //no,ive been driving 5 year now but i still cant get the hang of this reversing lark !!! and thats not a made up joke comment?

it takes a lot of bottle to handle a bendy stick with it as everyone had to have there first day and take some pride as you didn’t hit anything and got the job done albeit with a few shunts all you need is more experience and you will get the hang of it

at least your not a class 2 nerd as there is nothing worse than a class 2 mini driver with a name plate on there window sat nav worshipping cpc card bellend who wear all the truck gear like the boots and the cheese cloth, those guys dont have the bottle for the real mans game in the hgv world so well done on your first day and stick with it

Young lad came to see me last night to buy my TT5150 off me, and he has just passed his class 1 and has got a start with XPO.

I told him to ask if he is having any problems, (Play the newbie card.) as he will make himself look a right ■■■■ if he ■■■■■ up. Drivers will respect him more, in the main, if he does.

Ken.

desypete:
it takes a lot of bottle to handle a bendy stick with it as everyone had to have there first day and take some pride as you didn’t hit anything and got the job done albeit with a few shunts all you need is more experience and you will get the hang of it

at least your not a class 2 nerd as there is nothing worse than a class 2 mini driver with a name plate on there window sat nav worshipping cpc card bellend who wear all the truck gear like the boots and the cheese cloth, those guys dont have the bottle for the real mans game in the hgv world so well done on your first day and stick with it

Ever heard of punctuation? Or is that a new fangled invention too?