Home for Christmas

I ran this story last year but several people asked me to repeat it, so I’ll post an episode each day!.

It had been one of those bad trips!

Nothing disastrous but a catalogue of small irritations starting with my arrival at Koln Eifeltor Guterbahnhof on the outbound leg, expecting a night’s sleep on the Kombivehrkehr to Ludwigsburg. “Ve gif you paper, you can drive.” The gruff Deutsche Bundesbahn functionary informed me as he stamped my ticket. “Why,” I asked. “Ve are voll mit Schenker contract,” was the reply as the window in the booking office was closed on my frowning visage. I knocked on the window and it was grudgingly opened, “What about my diesel?” I asked. “Is your problem,” came the surly reply. “But I’ve paid the train fare and now you tell me you can’t take me on my reserved train and now I have to pay diesel and presumably more road tax!” The uncivil servant on the other side muttered, “You wait ‘till tomorrow train or you drive,” You can take me tomorrow?” I continued. The clerk merely shrugged and shut the window. Fuming I returned to my truck and sat behind the wheel weighing up the options as my blood pressure returned to something approaching normality.

I knew I had made a mistake when Ken in the office had cajoled me into leaving for Istanbul on December 9th when he had solemnly promised me Christmas at home with the family before I had agreed to the previous trip where I had unexpectedly had to backload mohair from a plant near Sivas in snowbound eastern Turkey which had cost me an additional week. “Don’t worry,” he had assured me over the phone in the company’s office on ■■■■■■■■■■■ Caddesi in Istanbul, “I’ll guarantee I won’t send you out again before Christmas!” And so I had traipsed through the foul Turkish winter over Bolu, through Ankara, over the pass at Akdagmadenli and at last loaded, within a couple of hours as it turned out, at the Teksa plant on the east side of Sivas city. That was the easy bit. It had then taken two whole days to obtain the customs papers and I was not a happy bunny when I had locked up the GMC at Harem, taken the car ferry across to Sirkeci , and then a taxi to the office where the charming Madame Ira Maslenikoff had organised all the transit documents. Once again Ken had reassured me that this would be my last trip before the festive season and I had achieved a flyer with a four day transit back to London. I left the trailer in Dover and hotfooted it up to the smoke in the tractor, parking it in the Vauxhall Bridge coach park before catching the tube up to the West End.

Ken Johnson, the manager, a jolly rotund bespectacled young man, had welcomed me as I entered the OHS office just off Oxford circus. A little bit too welcoming I had felt and my defences were up as I handed in my paperwork and my expenses. I should have guessed something was up when he passed them without comment handing the papers to Kebir Atlas with the instruction to pay me in cash. “It will take time,” Kebir had replied, “I need to visit the bank.” “It’s lunchtime,” Ken announced, “Let’s go down to the pub!” This was common practice at the time so I was not particularly forewarned of Ken’s evil intentions. “Andy,” he said as he handed me a pint of Youngs SPA, “We have a problem and I need your help.” Now my defences were definitely rising. I took a long draught of the cool nectar as he continued. “We took on an emergency load of axles out of Eaton’s for the Bedford plant in Istanbul. Mehmet Ali should have been here to collect it but he’s broken down in Van Hove’s having dropped a piston. Won’t be moving for at least a week and the Bedford plant will be at a standstill by then. I’m really sorry,” and here there was real concern in his eyes, “But I need you to turn round today and be on the ferry tonight.” “But I’ve not even been home yet,” I blustered. “Look Andy there’s no other way to put this. We’re in the shxt. Genoto, the Bedford dealer is our second biggest customer and if we lose them I can’t see Orhan buying any more trucks for the UK operation. By the way I’m authorised to offer you an extra £200 and I’ll make sure we don’t question your expenses!” he smiled. “Ken you promised I’d be home for Christmas.” “You’ll still be home in time. Istanbul have your back load ready now. It’s from Soktas which is on the European side so you’ll have a fast turnround. You’ve got fourteen days after all!” and so muggins had agreed, phoned a furious wife, picked up the unit and collected the brand new already loaded trailer from Cooks yard at Rainham. They had just fitted a tilt to the American Dorsey trailer and Ken had organised a shunter to load in the Midlands and bring it back. Normally we travelled unit only in the U.K. as we were only taxed as private cars but on this emergency occasion Ken had prevailed on me to risk it down to Dover. Hopefully this would be brownie points stored up for the future!

So here I was sitting in Koln Eifeltor station, technically out of hours on my log book and with no hope of catching the train. Christmas at home was already looking unachievable and I was cursing myself for being so gullible. I hunched over the GMC Astro’s steering wheel despondently thinking I’d have a couple of hours’ sleep and then hit the road overnight. I knew that if I took to the bunk I would still be in the station come morning. The arc lights of the goods yard were piercing down through the gloom and a light snowfall was pattering my vast windscreens. The train in front of me was loading, Schenker after Schenker after Schenker. The clerk had not lied! Just as I was dozing off there was a sharp knock on the door. I opened the window and peered down at the peak capped official responsible for the disturbance. Good grief they were not even going to allow me to sleep in peace! “You want go on train to Ludwigsburg,” he shouted up at me. “Ja Bitte,” my answer was instant. “Ve haf ein platz at front of train but you must reverse on. Ist gut?” he asked somewhat rhetorically. I had started the motor by the time he asked the question and was waved to the front of the train. It transpired that they had taken a wagon off for repair and when it returned it had to be placed at the head of the train as the rear was against the loading ramp. All the Schenkers were unaccompanied so could not be moved. Truly it was my lucky day. In addition, I was the only driver in the sleeping car so with my choice of bunk got a good night’s sleep into the bargain.

Next morning I was again counting my blessings as we were shunted into Ludwigsburg goods yard. Being at the front I was feverishly undoing the metal clamps almost as soon as we juddered, with the trains’ metallic brakes screeching, to a halt. Within half an hour I was skirting Stuttgart and congratulating myself on the complete day that I must have saved. Out onto the A8 the snow was blizzarding down with a whistling gusting wind blowing great clouds of it across the motorway straight from Siberia by the feel of it. However the road was dry enough not to worry too much about slippage. Then we hit the Talesberg pass with all sorts of dire warning notices posted at the roadside invoking caution at all times. Here the road bifurcated with the two carriageways separated by the forested mountain and immediately a steep relentless climb commenced. I was running at about 36 tonnes, well within the capacity of my Detroit V8 rated at 320 BHP. The capability of the gearbox however was another matter. It was a fully automatic Allison with five speeds plus a high and low ratio. However the high or low had to be selected while stationary so if you hit country which looked difficult you stopped in good time and selected low before continuing. I knew that the Talesberg was borderline at this weight but had foolishly decided to ‘risk it’. Needless to say the box started to change down and it was becoming obvious that we would have difficulty getting to the top in high ratio. There was nothing for it but to grind to a halt, select low ratio and continue at a snail’s pace for the rest of the incline. This I did stopping on the hard shoulder. Traffic was light so I was easily able to regain the slow lane and then the truck crawler lane moving at about seven miles per hour. It had crossed my mind that the motor would be sucking fuel at a terrific rate at this speed and further I was gripping the wheel encouraging the beast to keep going as we encountered slightly steeper gradients and the MPH guage on the console on the left of the wheel dropped alarmingly. Then, without any warning, the engine coughed, missed a few beats and resumed running at a couple of thousand revs. What could it be? Dirty fuel? Air in the fuel lines perhaps? I knew we had loads of diesel because we had left Rainham on full tanks which meant at least 700 litres over the two tanks strapped either side of the tractor chassis. In addition I had about 1800 litres of red diesel in the belly tank which I had managed to have sealed at Dover customs in the open position. Soon the Detroit coughed again, missed a few more beats and restarted and I knew I would have to pull onto the hard shoulder in case we stopped altogether. Once on the hard shoulder the sporadic coughing continued, but I noticed that if I took my foot off the accelerator the spluttering stopped immediately and so I continued in this manner for a couple of kilometres until the inevitable happened and my steed refused to stagger on any further. Once stopped I found that the motor would start and idle but there was no way it would allow us to regain mobility.

Hazard lights flashing, I jumped down from the cab into the snowblown murk and opened the left hand tank screwcap. I could see diesel and estimated it was about a quarter full. The other tank on the right side was still brimming so fuel shortage was not the problem. The Detroit had automatic bleed so there was little point in tilting the cab. Through the trees on the side of the autobahn I could see the odd car traversing what appeared to be a country lane. There was nothing for it but to find a phone and call the London office for advice so I locked up and placed my warning triangle a couple of hundred metres down the motorway dodging the sheets of slush kicked up by each passing vehicle. This in fact was a lucky move because the lane running next to the autobahn became easily accessible through a gate which must have been put there for emergency vehicles. I climbed over this brushing the snow from my blue parka and gained the lane intending to flag down a car for a lift to the next village from where, I hoped I could phone London. We had had it drummed into us to do everything to avoid being towed off the autobahn partly because of the expense but also because of the interminable time it could take to arrange the tow and the subsequent repairs. Time was something I did not have on my side if I was to be home in time for Christmas. Then disaster really struck! The first car hoving into view was a green and white police Volkswagen Beetle. Needless to say, I did not attempt to stop it but it skidded to a halt anyway!

The door opened and out lumbered a portly middle aged village policeman dressed in a leather coat with grey trousers and black boots. I immediately counted my blessings. If it had been one of the ruthless autobahnpolizei I would probably even now be in trouble for abandoning my truck. “Gruss Gott,” he hailed me with the Bavarian greeting. “Was machen Sie?” “Ich bin Englander” I started. “Ach English. Vott you are doing?” I explained my problem and that I was looking for a phone as I was sure it was a simple fault that had caused my engine failure. “Ach so,” he said, “kommt mit mir” He signalled for me to jump into the passenger seat and we sped off down the mountain side traversing several hairpins at a speed that only one with an intimate knowledge of the route would have countenanced. Near the bottom we ran into the village of Wiesensteig in the middle of which in Hauptstrasse was the police station. We came to a skidding halt in the slush outside and we entered the modern brick and concrete structure, the interior of which was painted in the delightfully varied palette of greens and creams reminiscent of municipal establishments back home. There was only one occupant sitting behind the reception desk but from the three bars on his uniform sleeves I guessed him to be the boss. My chauffeur gabbled away presumably explaining my predicament and the boss looked at me over a pair of half rim spectacles.

Thanks for Re- posting this Andy, it is still a very good read indeed. :smiley:

Yes, thanks Andy.

Only been on here since September, so haven’t seen this before. Excellent.

John

Hijazzandy great stuff…, is that climb the one called the crocodile now big signs show a crocodile on the road side there is a truck stop at the turning before you get climbing now not when you are talking about ,once past stuttgart airport ,it is now duel track.dbp

Yes DeckboyPeggy. Lots of crocodile signs and it was one hell of a climb when you were fully loaded.

He chose his words carefully and spoke in halting but good English. “You should stay with your lorry until the autobahnpolizei arrive and then they will a crash wagon organise to take your truck to a garage.” “But the problem is simple,” I countered, “One phone call and I can be back on the road and save all this fuss.” The two of them discussed the matter and then the boss sighed as he turned back to me, “As you are here already we will let you use our phone but you must pay,” he advised, “What is the number please?” Soon he was on the phone presumably organising what we would have referred to as an ADC call (Advise Duration and Cost). He replaced the received. “We must a little wait,” he explained. About fifteen minutes later the phone sprang into action, the boss lifted it to his ear said “Danke ” and handed it to me. “OHS,” came the voice at the other end. “Ken?” I asked and Ken it was. After I had explained the situation Ken said, “I’ll call GM in Antwerp and ask their advice. Hold the line. I held for a good five minutes with the boss becoming increasingly anxious about the length of the call but eventually Ken came back on the line. “They don’t know,” was his reassuring reply, “They’re going to call the States and come back to us in a couple of hours.” I replaced the receiver and passed the information to the two policemen. “We must take you back to your truck,” the boss asserted. “But what about the call from London,” I asked. “We will take it and give the message to the autobahn police,” he explained, “Now you must go back or you will be in more trouble with our colleagues.” He smiled as he said this and I got the impression that the country policemen were as un-enamoured as us truck drivers at the antics of their flashy motorway brethren. I thanked the boss profusely and once the cost of the call had been established handed over the twelve deutschemarkes demanded and received a stamped receipt. All very correct! Then my original chauffeur drove me back up the mountain once again at high speed depositing me at the spot from where I had been originally collected. We said our goodbyes and he sped off back down from whence we had come and I trudged through the gate only to find the flashing lights of the motorway police now parked behind my truck.

I knocked on the window of the Passat station wagon. “Ich bin kamion chauffeur,” I blurted out to the policeman in the passenger seat as he opened his door. “Where you haf been?” he demanded. Through the fast falling snow and the flurries of slush I told him the story of how I had been searching for a phone and then spotted the police car which had insisted on taking me to the local station. I know it was not absolutely a true version of events but I was in enough trouble without having to waste money on a compulsory fine. I also explained that my motor had died even though I had fuel in the tanks and I was now waiting for advice from London which would be relayed to them by the Wiesensteig police and could they please let me know. “You can not rest here,” he replied, “We will order a truck to tow you. What are you weighing?” I told him thirty eight tonnes and he seized a microphone and gave instructions to his control base before turning to me, “Now you must wait when our crash wagon comes. Do not leave your truck again. We will keep check on you.” And with that he ducked back into the car, the driver gunned the motor, and they were off in a cloud of slush as they swervingly regained the main carriageway.

Two hours later I was gloomily assessing my current situation. One police car had already flashed past, blue lights rotating and klaxon blaring and I assumed there must be an accident up ahead. I had thirteen days to drive out to Istanbul and back to Ludwigsburg for the last train. Heaven alone knew how much longer I would have to wait for the recovery vehicle and then how long it would take after that to effect whatever repairs were needed before I could continue the journey. My wife had been right. I was indeed a stupid idiot to have even thought for an instant that I could be back in time to play Santa Claus to the children. Luckily I had been able to idle the engine so the cab was warm and I was idly twiddling the radio controls searching for AFN on Medium wave when I spotted the tell -tale amber top lights of an American truck labouring up the hill behind me. I was wondering if it might be one of our Turkish sister company’s as it drew alongside, slowed and cut in front of me onto the hard shoulder. It was in fact a military grey GMC day cab Astro and in ■■■■■■■■■ letters on the back of the boxvan trailer it proclaimed itself to be from the USAF. ‘Here might be salvation’ I thought as I jumped down from my cab to meet whoever was driving this hopefully heaven sent rig. “Hey Buddy, you from England?” was the greeting I received from a lanky individual. Sporting a baseball cap, a short grey parka type jacket, a pair of jeans and of all things a pair of cowboy boots, I started to wonder if I was indeed dreaming as this archetypal yankee trucker proffered his hand. “You in trouble man?” he asked. I told him the whole sorry story after we had sought refuge from the continual icy spray by ducking behind my cab. “Detroit V8, two tanks, one full, one nearly empty, no power but idles OK. That about it?” he asked. I nodded. That was indeed the situation in a nutshell. “Did you check the valve on the tank linkage?” he continued. “What valve?” I asked incredulously. “It should be under the ancillary tank which in your case would be the nearside,” he explained, “Just a sec. I’ll check it out for you.” With that he was under the chassis and ferreting about for a couple of minutes before he re-emerged smiling. “That’s it buddy. Your valve was off, meaning that the levels in the tanks were not equalising,” he pointed out, “These S.O.B.’s ■■■■ like crazy on steep inclines. Once your tanks run below a quarter, with the outlets at the front you aint got sufficient diesel to run your motor. Never run these guys below a quarter. That’s my advice. Now loosen off the cap on your ancillary and they’ll level up real fast.” I thanked him profusely and offered him a cup of tea. “No time man,” he said, “I’ve got a tight schedule. Got to be back up to Kaiserslautern by tonight. Hey man if I was you I’d get the hell out of here before the crashmobile arrives. That’ll be big bucks.” And with that he was off back through the spray to his truck. I looked into the open diesel tank and checked that it was indeed now only half full.

Regaining the wheel, I gingerly restarted the engine and gave it a few revs. which it took with no problem. Selecting drive and low ratio, I released the airbrakes as I pressed down on the accelerator and with baited breath allowed speed to pick up as we slithered up the hard shoulder. Gaining confidence I swung her over onto the main carriageway and she performed as she had always done in the past. For the rest of that long hill and through the Lammerbuckel tunnel at the top of the pass, my eyes were glued to my mirrors dreading the possibility of those ominous blue lights. Once over the top, I stopped again on the hard shoulder, selected high ratio and cruised down the hill attempting to outrun Germany’s finest at my top speed of fifty six miles an hour! I was unable to relax for some time although once past Ulm I stopped staring into the mirrors every few seconds but it was not until I was on the Mittlerer ring around Munich that the panic subsided. My only worry now was that there might be a reception party at Schwarzbach autobahn customs. The big question however was who had turned my intertank valve off and why?

The rest of the journey down to Istanbul had gone as well as could be expected, Salzburg, the Ho Chi Minh Trail, Zagreb, Belgrade, Nis, Sofia, Kapitan Andrevo, Edirne , and then the coastal run through Buyuk and Kucuk Cekmece’s into Londra Asfalti (London Road) past the airport and definitely past Mocamp to the OHS garage which was behind the BP station at Topkapi. Here I was to stay the night before crossing the Bosphorous bridge onto the Asian side where was situated the Bedford plant. That evening was spent with a couple of OHS drivers, Stephan the Polish émigré and Hugh the Welshman. The best description of Stephan which springs to mind is that of a cuddly bear. He was a good six feet tall and well bulked out though by no means obese. His round face was surmounted by an ever unkempt shock of curly hair which always appeared to be in urgent need of a wash. His twinkly blue eyes gave away his wicked sense of humour and his generous mouth signified his warm heart. Despite his well-known leanings towards certain noxious and unlawful substances, I have yet to meet anyone who had a bad word for him. Normally dressed in a tight fitting denim jacket and jeans, in colder climes he would, as he did now, wear a green/grey parka jacket. Hugh was a somewhat dour Welshman, thin of face and of slim build he was about my height at five foot six and was dressed in a black Turkish leather jacket under which was a patterned sweater. We walked over to one of the Pide (Pizza) restaurants we used and inevitably encountered some Turkish drivers from Contex, our Turkish sister company. As soon as they saw us entering they beckoned us over and bought us beers, thankfully Efes Pilsen as the Turkish Tuborg I found to be almost undrinkable. They knew me and Steve well enough but had never met Hugh. Steve spoke fairly fluent Turkish and gabbled away for some time after which the Turks were looking aghast in Hugh’s direction. Indeed Necmettin suddenly reached across the table and grabbed Hugh’s beer. “What’s going on Steve?” I asked fearing an international incident was about to occur. “Unfortunately,” Steve said in his slow halting but perfect English, “They don’t understand our sense of humour. I just introduced Hugh by saying ‘This is Hugh, he comes from Wales and Fxcks sheep’ They just spent several minutes telling me how wrong this is and that I must tell him to change his ways plus they will not share a table with him.” At that moment our Turkish brothers all stood up to change tables. “For goodness sake Steve,” I said, “Explain the joke to them.” Steve then spent a few minutes conversing in Turkish and I noticed a palpable relaxation of tension. The Turks sat down and Necmettin, with a very serious face, handed Hugh his beer. “Fxck sheep very very bad,” he said and then burst out laughing. They had a sense of humour after all. Hugh’s face was an absolute picture as he finally took in what the furore was all about!

The restaurant was a typical low end Turkish establishment. In the middle of a concrete block of shops and cafes, it was white walled, concrete floored with no carpet, and overlit with harsh white neon battens. Heating was by smelly oil stoves which gave out a good blast of warmth but also gushed toxic fumes from their rickety corrugated metal chimneys. Once the pizzas arrived we bought a round of drinks and so the evening progressed very pleasantly with our Turkish knights of the road. “Loaded at Soktas today,” Steve remarked, “Me and Hugh here.” “Hey” I interjected, “I hope you haven’t taken my load.” “No,” Steve assured me, “There’s five more loads waiting, all spun mohair going to Bradford. By the way man, watch out if you’re loading there, it’s a mud road for the last five hundred metres, you know what I mean? The snow has churned everything up and there’s a sharp turn over a culvert over an open sewer so if you fall in you’re really in the ■■■■, know what I mean?” here Steve laughed his inimitable laugh. “Thanks for the warning,” I replied, “I’ll definitely watch out for the bridge. “If it was west of London man,” Steve carried on in his slow laconic way, “We’d call it the Slough of despond, know what I mean?” he laughed again.

Next morning, the inbound commuter traffic woke me up and I had crossed the Bosphorus bridge and arrived at the Genoto plant on the main Ankara road, called at this point Camlica Baglantisi, by breakfast time. Incoming trucks were handled by a grand old ex-army officer, Emin Ali Ekendiz, with whom I had made good friends. From time to time I had brought him fishing equipment including the latest lightweight rods from England which were unobtainable in Turkey. He sent me straight over to the canteen for breakfast while his crew offloaded my truck. Sitting in the capacious dining room on a bench seat at a long communal table virtually on my own, I enjoyed boiled eggs, and rolls with butter and jam and reflected on the fact that today was the 15th. of December. I had plenty of time to get back to Dover for Christmas. There was a load waiting for me at Soktas which with luck I could load that afternoon and be away from Istanbul on the morrow. What could possibly go wrong?

About ten minutes later Emin Ali entered with his distinguished military gait and sat down opposite me. “We are almost completed,” he said and then he told me about a particular type of fly he would like me to find when I returned to England. I told him about the lack of time if I was to make England for Christmas and asked if he knew a good leather shop locally where I could pick up a good quality leather jacket. “Ah,” he thought for a minute ■■■■■■■■■ his handlebar moustache, “We give our delivery drivers very good jackets. You would like to see one?” I nodded and he barked a command to one of the waiters behind the self-service counter. Within a few minutes he returned with a dark green jacket wrapped in cellophane. “These are very good quality,” he assured me, “You will not find this standard in the tourist shops.” I unwrapped the cellophane and tried it on. It turned out to be an almost perfect fit. “How much,” I asked tentatively. I had been down the road of friends selling goods for their brothers and already discovered to my cost that these were not always the bargains they purported to be. “No charge,” Emin Ali smiled, “It’s a Christmas present from Genoto.” I thanked him effusively. He stood up to go. “Half an hour and your papers will be ready,” he said with a click of his heels as he turned and marched out of the room. He was as good as his word and within three quarters of an hour I had phoned the office, Madame Ira had agreed to send a messenger up to Soktas to receive my inbound papers, and I was out on the road heading back to the Bosphorus bridge.

It was as I was sidling up the truck queue to the bridge toll booths that my day suddenly started to go to pieces. The realisation dawned as I hunted through my wallet that I did not have enough Turkish Lire for the bridge toll. All I had was a one hundred lire note. I pulled out of the line of trucks just past the point where the slip road which leads up from the Bosphorus joins the main carriageway, and I was able to park on a wide hard shoulder about two hundred yards before the booths. I hunted through all my papers, wallet and attaché case but Turkish lire there were none. Jumping down from the cab, I walked towards the control building with the legend ‘Polisi Kontrol’ in large red letters emblazoned on a white board above the single storey structure. Before I reached it I was accosted by a soldier with a white hat. I tried to explain to him my predicament, the main words of Turkish which I could summon being “Para Yok.” He shrugged and almost frogmarched me to the Kontrol point where I was able to talk to an officer whose English was sufficient to point out to me that basically I was in a ‘Catch 22’ situation. I could not cross the bridge without money. I could not use the phone. I could not park my truck where it was. Finally he agreed to call his superior in Istanbul city and I was commanded to wait with my truck until that official would deign to attend to my desperate situation. “How long must I wait,” I innocently asked. The officer shrugged and gave me the typical Turkish “Tsk” raising his head and rolling his eyes at the same time thus letting me know in no uncertain terms that my case was very low on his list of priorities. I looked across the bridge at the absolute mountain of traffic waiting to cross. Even if the superior was to leave his office now, a fact which I seriously doubted, and hot-foot it up to the bridge it would be hours before he could arrive on our side of the Bosphorus.

Still a good read Andy…

Jeff…

Despondently I made my way back to my yellow twin stacked GMC with its black Dorsey trailer surmounted by its bright yellow tilt. It was eleven thirty. I had no way of contacting the office and for all the ‘powers that were’ cared I could sit there all day. The thought of the joys of Christmas at home were starting to fade. As I walked along the pavement towards the truck I looked down the several hundred feet drop to the road which skirted this side of the Bosphorus. In effect we were on a bridge leading up to the gigantic towers which held the bundles of suspension wires supporting the massive structure built by the Cleveland Bridge and Engineering Company. Just behind my truck the slip road wound down around a one hundred and eighty degree turn to the road below. Looking north I could see the lushly vegetated gorge of the Bosphorus narrowing on its way up to the Black Sea. Looking south across the two carriageways I could just make out the minarets and domes of the Blue Mosque and Santa Sophia on the far side of the Topkapi palace. However, looking down to the water in this direction I could also see the ferryboats criss-crossing between Europe and Asia and a plan began to formulate. If only I could jump on one of those, I could make my way up to the office on ■■■■■■■■■■■ Caddessi and obtain the toll money but I could not leave my truck. If I did, I knew that they would impound it and I would be in serious trouble. I was in another Catch 22. Beaten but not down I regained my seat behind the large green GMC steering wheel weighing up my options which were actually none other than wait, lose a day or more and fail to meet that last train at Ludwigsburg. I jumped back down from the cab and once again looked over the precipitous drop. The slip road was single carriageway with a hard shoulder all the way down. There was nothing for it I decided other than to reverse the rig all the way down to the bottom hoping that the polis, overburdened with the relentless build-up of traffic, would not notice.

Regaining my driving position I started the motor having observed that the polis were not looking in my direction and gently started to ease the rig back along the hundred metres of hard shoulder that remained between me and the slip road. After fifty metres I stopped, turned the engine off, jumped down and nonchalantly strolled about by the side of the truck. There was absolutely no movement from the direction of the Polis Kontrol so I once again started the motor and gingerly continued the reverse. Once I was on the slip road it was all or nothing so I continued in starts and stops as I re-aligned the rig until I had reached the bottom where I was able to reverse out onto the lightly trafficked Bosphorus road. As I changed from Reverse to Drive I looked up and I could swear I saw the polis officer looking over the bridge parapet directly down at me holding his peaked cap in one hand while scratching his head incredulously with the other!

One thing with which I had always had no trouble was reversing. People were always impressed watching a big rig backed accurately through a narrow bend but what most of them didn’t realise was that the most difficult thing to reverse was a car and small single axle trailer. The longer the trailer and the further back the axles the easier it was to handle. With the axles right at the back my Dorsey was a doddle. In fact it was more difficult negotiating tight intersections forwards than backwards! However I was feeling pretty smug as I drove off underneath the pillars holding up the bridge approach road and down to the side of the Bosphorus. I could already see the little white ferry boats with their yellow funnels and it was less than five minutes until I had arrived at the Kuzguncuk terminal for the Ortakoy passenger ferry. Luckily there was a Petrol Ofisi filling station a few hundred metres further on and a couple of packets of Rothmans sealed a parking deal. The ferry itself was ridiculously cheap and an embarrassing amount of change rattled out at me from the cashier’s window in the white wooden single storey block that served as the IETT’s (Istanbul Municipal Transport Authority) local offices. Once on board I welcomed a glass of cay brought round on a circular tray suspended from a finger grip by a triangular arrangement of struts which meant it was almost impossible to spill the drinks however sharp the lurching of the vessel might be. Once on land at Ortakoy I was looking for a taxi when what should come along but a Leyland Royal Tiger with a signboard indicating it was en-route to Taksim square. I guessed that this meant it would pass the OHS/Contex office in ■■■■■■■■■■■ Caddessi. “Oteli Hilton - Koc para?” (Hilton Hotel - How much?) I asked the conductor on board, “Bes Lira” he replied. Our office was almost directly opposite the Hilton hotel where I was able to alight half an hour of Istanbul traffic later. Crossing from the central reservation where the buses and trolleybuses ran, I entered the Istanbul Mahle Piston building and climbed the stairs. After explaining my predicament I was furnished with sufficient funds for the toll and then ferried back in a company Tofas 124 down to Ortakoy. It was now two o’ clock and Madame Ira had established that so long as I was at the Soktas plant, situated just off the bypass to the bridge from Londra Asfalti, by four o’ clock they would load me.

Back in the cab the sun was shining brightly highlighting the constant dripping of water from the surrounding trees as the midday warmth melted the overnight freeze. I headed back up to the bridge terrified that the Kontrol Polisi would be on the lookout for me but as I rode up the slip road ramp and circled back towards the bridge tolls I was able to join the melee with only a couple of hundred yards to go before the booths and absolutely nothing delayed me even though I took a sneaky look at the Kontrol building as I passed by. Hopefully there had been a shift change and my tormentors had been too lazy to log my transgressions! Through the tollgates the traffic eased considerably and I was around the ring around the city centre within half an hour. The last exit before Londra Asafalti was the one I needed to take and by three fifteen I was there. Heading off to the right I was now on a busy old main road threading its way through new developments of illegal housing blocks, many of them stopped from completion last minute planning orders, standing with just their metal frames and a few infill bricks but still housing families by the look of the washing lines outside. I was on the lookout for a new mosque with a brick dome and a single minaret right by an intersection in a market area in the district of Gaziosmanpasa. By three- thirty I was there carefully snaking the rig around parked delivery trucks and tradesmen’s horses and carts, I had difficulty hanging the right turn taking it very very carefully and slowly as carts had to be moved and the mass of pedestrian traffic scurried out of the way. The last thing I needed was an accident of any kind to cause further delay. A huge sign with the slogan Ak Bankasi was the next marker. Here I turned left onto a dirt or rather mud road which wound its’ way behind the shops and then more housing and then some low concrete factories before it deteriorated as Steve had warned into little more than a boggy trail as it turned into the Soktas compound. The dodgy culvert was an obvious hump on the trail which I crossed delicately before a gentle left turn and then I was in the factory loading area. Necmettin with his dark blue Contex Mack and white Dorsey fridge was just coming off the loading ramp and a workman dressed in pale blue overalls signalled that I was immediately to take his place which I did more than willingly as you can imagine! Before I had leapt from the cab to undo the tilt cord the team on the bay had already commenced loading and my spirits were up as I waved goodbye to Necmettin. Load today, sleep at the BP, papers by lunchtime tomorrow and I’d be up to the border by the evening if I was lucky.

Reading this makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck., Cannot tell if its good memory’s or a bloody nightmare. hahahah :smiley: keep`em coming

‘Ludwigsburg here I come’ I was humming to myself as I progressed round to watch the arbies manually loading the trailer with their bales of mohair. I sauntered over to the office and discovered that Madame Ira, as good as her word, had already progressed the paperwork to enable me to be customs sealed at the factory. Life was looking sweet as I executed a truck check, kicked all the tyres, checked the bulbs, tested the susies and cleaned off all the running light lenses and headlights. Just as I had finished this chore who should come loping back into the yard but Necmettin. Horror overtook me and the hairs on my neck bristled. Something was amiss. He was caked in mud from his waist down. “Kamion problem,” was his explanation as he headed off towards the office. By the time I was loaded Necmettin had re-appeared spruced up a little bit but by no means his previous dapper self.
The Turkish customs officer was in the process of sealing up my truck when Necmettin managed to gesticulate to me that he would like a tow please. Luckily he had a length of chain and we attached it to the tow hook on the front of the GMC and the rear axle of his Fridge box. I eased back until the chain was taut, then blew my air horns as a signal for Necmettin to start reversing and gunned my motor. I had already selected the maximum diff lock option so the Hendrickson rear bogie was technically locked solid, all wheels relentlessly revolving. We made an infinitesimal progress but the basic problem was that I was as much in the mud as Necmettin and my wheels though locked were merely spinning. In addition my wheels although larger than the Turkish Mack’s were shod with highway tyres. If Necmettin’s were Town and Countries and his were equally useless we were on a hiding to nothing and after about fifteen minutes we disconnected. Luckily the truck was bogged down well before the culvert and even luckier I was able to reverse out of the mire and back onto the concreted loading bay area.

I rang Contex from the Soktas despatch office and explained the situation. There was no way I could get enough purchase to pull Necmettin out so they would have to send a wrecker. Of course the other problem was that I was also stuck as there was no way I could drive around the Contex rig. “Nothing we can do until tomorrow Mr. MacLean,” Madame Ira explained, “You will have to sleep there but hopefully they will pull the truck out in the morning and we will send up your papers and running money so you will not have to come to the office.” I thanked her and returned to my cab. It was now dark. The factory was still humming away spinning yarn on a twenty four hour shift basis. So I spent the evening reading and fell asleep listening to BBC world service. Next morning there was a tapping on my cab door and I looked down on one of the loaders who beckoned to me to come in for breakfast in the workers canteen. Wherever you were in Turkey you were always treated with great hospitality, a requisite of the Muslim religion, for the traveller had to be treated with respect. To refuse the offer would have been seen as a great insult and so the poor old British stomach had to put up with endless glasses of overstrong cay or small cups of coffee which contained more gunge in the bottom than liquid, but that was a small price to pay for the feeling of camaraderie thus engendered. Today’s breakfast was a fresh Turkish loaf, second only to French for taste, feta cheese and jam. Then it was back to the cab to await the return of Necmettin with the wrecker. It was eleven thirty before he showed his face but instead of a wrecker they had merely brought another Mack unit. This was duly chained to the front of Necmettin’s truck and with utter predictability it was unable to gain any purchase, it’s wheels spun uselessly and there was no progress.

I rang Madame Ira. By this time I was becoming agitated about the typically Turkish way of sorting out problems. This consisted of doing absolutely everything you knew would not work and then finally biting the bullet and agreeing to the obvious plan which would cost a little money. In this way the maximum amount of time would always be wasted and everyone involved would become as frustrated as humanly possible. “Madame Ira, we have got to have a wrecker.” I insisted. “But we are trying everything,” came the reply. “Abbas is there now.” “Yes I know,” I struggled to explain, “But the mud is making it impossible for him to tow. You need a wrecker with big wheels and tyres to grip the mud.” There was a pause. “You mean Abbas cannot tow him?” came the reply. “Yes” I emphasised. It was almost impossible to be angry with Madame Ira. She was such a refined and courteous lady but my patience was being sorely tried. She appeared to be consulting with someone and then she came back to me. “We cannot get a wrecker until tomorrow morning,” she explained, “In the meantime all your papers are ready and our messenger will bring them to you. Please be kind enough to sign for them and of course the running money. Oh!” she exclaimed and then another pause, “We are sending another truck so maybe he can help.” I thanked Madame Ira and wished her a Happy Christmas. Mine was now looking remote.

Needless to say the second tractor was no more help than the first even in tandem and the recovery was again abandoned and I had to sit out the day in the cab although I was asked in to the canteen for meals. Next morning the wrecker arrived. It looked a rather small affair, basically an old long nose Bussing rigid with a crane on the back. I was now going into deep depression. The driver sprang down from the cab and looked carefully at the situation before summoning Necmettin over for a deep and meaningful chat. It seemed that he felt that he could not tow the rig forwards as there was no available traction between the Mack and the culvert. So miraculously he jumped into his truck and disappeared only to re-appear five minutes later next to me in the loading yard from around the side of the building. He could just get round but there was no way a larger truck could have made it. What he had wrapped around the crane on the back of his truck which saved the day was a long length of wire which meant that he could hook up to Necmettin’s trailer while he was still on the concrete pad. It made all the difference in the world and within ten minutes the Mack was back on hard ground.

It was then necessary to walk the route because both of us had to use it to exit the factory and it became obvious that my Turkish colleague had swung too far over to the left in order to line himself up for the culvert. We established what looked like a safer route and the wrecker and Necmettin set off and once they were safely over the slough of despond the wrecker came back for me. One small thing they had overlooked was the extra tracking on my Dorsey with the rear tandem set up and I nearly came a cropper as I watched the rear of my trailer almost but not quite not make it onto the culvert. However all was well in the end. My paperwork arrived, I signed for it and was on my way by lunchtime. However one more day had been lost. It was now the 17th. of December. I had five days to make it back to Ludwigsburg to catch the last train.

All I can think of to say is, what a marvelous read. It reminds me so much of the days pre Junior and Blair dynasty, that plunged us into the age off a world run by gobby ■■■■■■ :sunglasses:

I settled back in the airsprung seat of the GMC and enjoyed the panoramic view through the deep split windscreen which had a slight wrap round at each side. To my right was quite a high black engine hump which had a good area of flat surface where a small camping gas cooker could easily be operated for those tins of London grill and baked beans with sausages or even a good fry up of bacon and egg. Several switches were positioned on a console on this hump including the various air brakes and the hand throttle which could be adjusted to keep the engine revving at a certain speed although with a two stroke that was never a reliable piece of equipment. The trailer brake was positioned on the right side of the steering column. The GMC looked a beautiful truck but in reality could be a cow to drive with the back pressure from the accelerator occasioned by a requirement of the Allison automatic gearbox forcing you to almost stand on the ■■■■ thing to keep it on the floor. I’ve still got the varicose veins in my right leg to prove the point! We hugged the coast for the first few miles out of Istanbul. Bridges between small islands and the mouths of deep inlets made a very picturesque drive with the deep blue of the busily trafficked Aegean sea on the left. At Silivri the road left the coast and we were racing across the open plains of ancient Thrace, farmland on both sides as far as the eye could see and smooth gently undulating territory crossed by this almost straight highway very similar to our two way ‘A’ class roads. By six o’ clock I was approaching the border at Kapikule just as the border closed for the night so parked up next to a BP Station along with a myriad of other TIR’s.

Next morning customs was completed by 1030 and I was out of the Bulgarian side at Kapitan Andreevo by lunchtime. The journey through the wintry mountains and forests went reasonably well until I hit the plains around Sofia which were shrouded in thick fog reducing traffic to a serpentine crawl around the ring road system. It was the nineteenth of December and I was making good progress through Pirot and Bela Palanka and then by the beautiful gorge, full of tunnels and rushing river torrents, which took you through to Nis. North of Nis The trafiic on the Belgrade road came to an abrupt halt. Near Aleksinac the road ran on a bank raised a good ten feet above the fields and today this road was swept by howling winds chasing flurries of snow across it and through the cars, buses and trucks which were now seemingly icebound in their tracks forever. Someone had bought it I idly surmised as I boiled a kettle for a tomato cup-a-soup. Hour after hour nothing moved, nothing passed us and nothing came from the opposite direction. Luckily my tanks were quite full so I was able to continually run the motor and the cab was as warm as toast. On the odd occasion I had to venture into the great outside to answer a call of nature I returned to the cab in a semi-frozen state. The temperature was substantially sub-zero and the gale force winds were considerably exacerbating the biting cold.

The GMC’s aluminium cab was a sound one and there was no ingress of chill so, excepting the fact that time was becoming an issue, I was in a cosy safe place. During the evening several crash tenders and police vehicles passed by. Eventually I decided to turn in guessing that when the traffic started to move some kind soul would ensure I was aware and wake me, after all otherwise nothing behind me would be able to pass on this two way road with no hard shoulder. I awoke to the sound of heavy machinery trundling past and peering through the curtains was just able to see the tail end of a heavy Liebherr crane disappearing, amber lights flashing, up the ‘wrong’ side of the road. It was seven o’ clock and at last the Yugos seemed to be getting a grip on what was obviously a very serious situation up ahead.

Around lunchtime things started moving then stopping then moving again and eventually traffic was sporadically passing us from the other direction so presumably the blockage was being alleviated at long last. After about thirty kilometres we were level with the scene of the accident. On one side were a couple of what looked like Bulgarian trucks, their cabs horribly wrecked, now towed down the banks and into the fields where they would probably lay for ever more, and on the other side various cars and an inter-city coach had met the same fate. Goodness knows what the death and injury toll must have been. I was one of the lucky ones not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. ‘Better late than never’, I reflected as speed picked up and we were once again fully mobile. Around four o’clock I was passing the Hotel National on the south side of Belgrade. Normally I might have stopped here and had a brew and a chat at this well-known watering hole with its’ large parking area but today I had time to make up. Late evening saw me on the corrugated autoput near Slavonski Brod where I parked up for an evening meal in a layby. It was now the evening of the twentieth. I should be able to make Maribor before turning in which meant through the Sentilj border in the morning, and, providing there was no queue, into Germany before the border at Schwarzbach autobahn closed. Then it would be an easy run down through Munich, Augsburg and Stuttgart to Ludwigsburg. The weather was still inclement but the winds had died away and the autoput was well ploughed with banks of snow on either side.

I made Maribor soon after midnight and threw myself onto the bunk and slept soundly while the engine chortled away and warm air continued to circulate. All went well at the border on both sides, our agent, Franz Welz, was a particularly good one and I was through Graz by eleven o’ clock. The Ho Chi Minh trail curving through the Alpine valleys, over high passes and through long tunnels was also in forgiving mode and the Christmas spirit was with me as I pulled up at the customs gate at Schwarzbach just on four o’ clock. There were five trucks in front and I took the chance of leaving my truck and dashing over to the Frans Welz office to thrust my paperwork at them. “Any chance of getting through before they close?” I breathlessly asked. “We’ll try,” came the reply, “But not to be definite!” Well in short they did get me through mainly because German customs had a highly suspect Jordanian truck on their out turn bank and they couldn’t be bothered to take on another grosse control. Once my papers were handed back, I parked up outside the exit gate and walked back to the border café for my traditional gulaschsuppe before continuing out onto the Munich autobahn. After a couple of hours at the wheel my eyes were starting to droop and I parked up just after Chiemsee. I would reach Ludwigsburg by mid-afternoon well in time for the train I thought to myself as I fell fast asleep, the engine’s continued hum a kind of security blanket.

During the long Bavarian night snow had not only fallen but it had blizzarded down and a winter wonderland greeted me as I blearily peeked out through the bunk curtains. After a cup of tea, I jumped out to check over the truck and to have a look at the autobahn. It had been gritted but there was a fresh fall of snow on top. However trucks were punching their way through and I could see that the surface was already breaking up. Out on the road the traffic was slow and the trip through to Munich took all morning. I stopped at the Fuchsberg service area just the other side of the city on the Augsburg road, paid my respect to the sanitary arrangements and picked up a bratwurst with kartoffelsalat for lunch. It was now snowing but Ludwigsburg was a mere couple of hundred kilometres so I ought to have made it by five at the latest. However that was not to be. The snow was once again whipped up into a blizzard by the wind and progress was severely limited by the fact that the autobahn was down to one serviceable lane only. As we approached the dreaded Talesberg pass I was seriously considering chaining up. We were now travelling on pack ice and there were several times during the ascent where I could feel the Hendrickson tandem slipping and sliding underneath me. However I was in a line of trucks none of which was showing any inclination to stop so I doggedly kept going and at the top did stop briefly to select low ratio for the run down into the Gruibingen valley. By four-fifteen I was passing Kircheim services and then the road markedly improved and I slipped into Ludwigsburg Guterbahnof round about six and parked next to the restaurant feeling very pleased with myself. I was in good time to catch the night train for which I was convinced I had a reservation. I set the hand throttle to fast idle, and with my document case in hand set off on the trek against the howling sleet laden wind to the Deutsche Bundesbahn office at the far end of the yard. There was a queue and while I was shuffling along it there was a sudden commotion as a couple of politzei entered the building. “GMC fahrer,” they yelled. “It’s me,” I owned up rather sheepishly. They looked quite angry. What had I done? “Kommt,” they commanded and I was almost frogmarched back down the length of the yard. Approaching the truck, lit now in the murky gloom by the penetrating floodlighting of the yard, I rapidly became aware of the problem as the air was filled with the sound of a screaming two stroke Detroit V8.

The scene that greeted me would have been comical if at that point my sense of humour had not deserted me. Several drivers were peering underneath the cab and one or two were actually on the roof attempting to shut down the engine by holding down the flaps on top of the exhaust stacks. Taking in the situation I immediately raced forward knowing that there was only one way to stop a racing two stroke Detroit. I unlocked the cab, retrieved the pump handle from the sidebox and feverishly pumped the cab up and over. Reaching in to the middle of the left cylinder block I turned the emergency stop and the engine thankfully clattered to a halt. I knew that I had saved the engine from certain death with minutes to spare. Once it had ceased to rotate, I reset the stop lever, dropped the cab and locked everything into place. Turning round, my grin of self-satisfaction was immediately wiped from my face. The polizei were still there and if anything looking even more angry than ever. “Ist Verboten,” a finger was wagged in my face, “Es ist verboten, Ihren Motor laufen hier, wenn Sie nicht in der LKW sind!“ I must have looked blank even though I knew the gist of what he was saying. ‘You are English?“ he demanded, thrusting his red pudgy face too close to mine for comfort.
I nodded. ‚‘‘So,“ he pausedthoughtfully searching for sufficiently offensive words to press home the sreiousness of my infraction on the peace of the German citizenry, ‘‘ You are forbidden, do you understand, forbidden, to let your motor operate when not here, do you understand?“ I nodded trying to look as inoffensive as possible. ‘‘You a fine must pay,“ he sneered, ‘‘Twenty Deutschemarkes,‘‘. Crikey, I thought, that‘s reasonable. Especially as I imagined myself about to be marched off for a night in the cells. There was much suppressed laughter from the assembed drivers as I handed over the money. ‘‘It is Christmas,“ the policeman said as we parted,‘‘You are lucky guy, do you understand?“ I nodded again, locked the cab door and raced off to the kombivehrkehr office. Now I was pressed for time. The clerk was apologetic.‘‘Sorry,‘‘ he explained. ‘‘You haf reservation but you are not here. Train is now full.‘‘ But,“ I spluttered, ‘‘This is the last train before Christmas?“ ‘‘Ja, I am sorry, but I now stempel on your ticket and you can drive‘‘ The office window and my hopes of being home for Christmas crashed at the same time.

Reader, I cried!

HI Jazzandy
This story is better than any single handed sailor story sailing around the world .i have been with you all the way, genius thinking out of the box to get your dosh for the bridge,better than "len deighton"was it you taking the pictures and never believing they would be written about or was it may- someday???as you know “idling truck big trouble” but who were the first to start their engines up before the ferry doors were open, mr smit and gang…seasons regards vic.

I sat slumped behind the wheel of the GMC with it’s matt chrome centre boss and wept. I was all-in after labouring all the hours that were from Istanbul. My log book was shot to bits. Even I couldn’t alter it to coherently allow me extra driving time. I had to take about eleven hours rest before continuing my journey and it was now nine-thirty. By the time I had slept I knew that it would be at least nine o‘ clock before I’d be on the road again. Zeebrugge was a good ten hours solid drive away on a warm dry lightly trafiicked day. Technically this was not legally achievable in one shift. As far as I was aware the last ferry out of Zeebrugge would be at mid-day on the 24th. and I had already been warned that this would be fully booked. I had been aiming for the eleven -thirty night sailing on the twenty third which Ken had assured me was already pre-booked. So I had a nine and a half hour legal shift including mandatory half hour rest, then a ten hour rest period, then at least a couple of hours drive which would take me way past the check in time for that ferry and in fact would see me in Zeebrugge for about four on the morning of the twenty fourth. My only hope was to perhaps travel as a foot passenger, spend Christmas at home and then travel back to collect the truck. I was mulling all this over when there was a tap on the door. ‘‘You can not here stay,“ a Deutsche Bundesbahn employee was shouting up at me. I swore under my breath, started the motor and roared out of the goods station complex. Now I was a very angry bunny indeed. ‘■■■■ them.‘ I thought, ‘ I’ll bloody well drive all night. Sod the log book!‘ I drove furiously through the Ludwisgburg suburbs and up onto the northbound A81 towards Heilbron. Traffic was very light indeed and light snow was wafting across the road in the wind and my adrenalin rush was subsiding. By the time I reach the services at Wunnentstein I had to admit that I could go no further. My eyes were drooping seeing double and my reactions were retarded to say the least. So I pulled over and as I came to a halt on the far side of the very modern restaurant facility I suddenly realised that I had not eaten since lunchtime.

I locked up the cab and traipsed across the snow covered truck park noting that mine was the only one parked there. Once in the restaurant, I ordered a Zigeuner schitzel and a beer. With the departure of the adrenalin rush, despondency set in once again and I must have looked a sorry sight sitting on my own by the huge windows overlooking the bleak scene of the snow blown parking area highlighted by the shafts of light from the overhead floods. ‘‘Guten abend,“ a friendly female voice disturbed my depressed reveries, ‘‘Sein Zigeuner.“ ‘‘Thankyou,“ I replied absent-mindedly forgetting that I was in Germany. ‘‘Ah,“ she smiled, ‘‘You are from England?“ I nodded. ‘‘The LKW is yours?“ I nodded again. ‘‘Ein Moment,“ and she vanished behind the counter only to re-appear a few seconds later clutching a glass stein containing a bottle of beer neatly gift wrapped in cellophane and a box of chocolates. ‘‘For you,‘‘ she explained, ‘‘A Christmas present from us.“ She smiled again a beaming, open smile and I couldn’t help but smile back. This unexpected kind gesture broke my depression and I fell to thinking how lucky I actually was rather than how fate had dealt me such a devilish hand. I had my health, I had my lovely family, I had my GMC and a good steady job with a company who did not demand that you ran bent with dodgy permits or that you falsified your log books. That latter was a personal matter! I cheered up considerably and had a couple more beers before turning in for the night leaving the motor on a medium idle.

Next morning, the twenty third of December, it was indeed just on nine o‘ clock when I trundled out of the parking area onto the autobahn. Traffic was still light. With two days to go before Christmas I guessed that most businesses were now closed and many had already departed for their holiday break. Past Heilbron I was now on the A6 heading towards the A3 at Frankfurt am Main. I was well aware that at the Aachen border my log book could be checked but the previous night’s sleep had given me some credibility and I was confident of passing that inspection or indeed any that might be thrust upon me by the German motorway police if I had the bad fortune to be stopped and I had to admit that lady luck had not been significant by her presence on this trip. Once over the A5 the road bore right and we were on the vast agriculural plain between Frankfurt and Karlsruhe, normally the warmest area of Germany but definitely not at this time of the year as the Siberian winds were now sweeping unhindered across it, hitting my windscreen with sleet, snow and hail in no particular order. This was, however, a well trafficked road and therefore a well ploughed and gritted one so I was able to maintain reasonable speed until I was well to the west of Frankfurt closing on the hilly region around the medieval city of Limburg with its iconic cathedral built on top of a rock in the centre clearly visible from the road. That was to remain the view from my driver’s window for the next three hours the westbound carriageway having been brouight to a judddering halt by some unknown incident up ahead. I was glad that I was not heading for that late night Zeebrugge because by now my blood pressure would have been off the scale. I still had good time to make the following midday even if only as a passenger but it would have been even better to have been moving and not to have had to worry about my spread hours on the log book.

At about one o‘ clock the traffic started to move in a sporadic, then slow, then up to medium speed fashion and we continued over the packed ice in the general flow. Aachen Zuid was reached by five o‘ clock and I immediately headed for the Frans Maas caravan where I handed in my paperwork. “Ah,” said the bespectacled pimply auburn haired youth as he surveyed my papers, “You have a big problem!” My heart sank. “The customs chief is not accepting these stamps on your rail road permit. We have already five trucks waiting here for instructions. I will submit your papers but you will not be clear to move before the border closes I think.” My heart sunk further and despair was overtaking my normally optimistic outlook on life. Now not only would I miss the ferry but I would not even be able to board as a foot passenger. I asked to use the phone and within ten minutes I was explaining the situation to Ken in the London office. “Steve is also there,” he informed me, “And he was on the train you missed. We are already speaking to the Ministry and our Munich office is doing the same in Germany. Worst way we think is that you will be free to leave first thing in the morning. I’ve now got both of you booked on the 1330 tomorrow from Zeebrugge but also you’re on the wait list for the 1530 out of Ostende. We’ll update you through Frans Maas on the telex. By the way you don’t have to come to the office before you go home!” “Ken that’s not funny,” I said as I replaced the receiver .
“Go and get a coffee,” suggested the callow youth kindly. “Your colleague should also be in the café. We’ll still be here. The border closes at six but we work tonight until seven at least.”

I slunk across the top end of the parking noticing that Steve’s Mack was there and found the small café situated on the ground floor of an old customs house building. There were very few drivers inside and Steve’s bearlike bulk enveloped in a mist of questionable tobacco smoke was seated right next to the counter at the far end. When I joined him he introduced me to a couple of English drivers pulling for LKW Walter and in the same predicament as we were. “The depth of the ■■■■ is now terminal, know what I mean?” Steve solemnly observed. “What they do is illegal,” he continued. “I checked with some Wim Vos drivers who just left. They had same problem but somehow they must have fixed things. Know what I mean?” he mischievously nudged me implying that certain improprieties must have taken place. “Well,” I remarked, “Wim Vos are Dutch so they’ve got a head start and more clout than us.” I ordered coffee and discovered that the LKW boys were going to head for Zeebrugge come what may. “Townsend ships are bigger,” was their reasoning, “Plus there’s the possibility of a freighter late afternoon,” their agent, Gondrand, had informed them. Steve and I decided to reserve judgement on this until the morning if we were overnighted. “Depends on what time we get away,” Steve observed slowly drawing on his hand rolled cigarette, “Know what I mean? These bastxxrds are having a laugh. Playing with us. You know, don’t mention the war and all that know what I mean?”

After coffee we returned to the Frans Maas caravan and the pimply ginger youth. “They already got clearance for you,” he maintained, “But the border is now closed so you must wait until the morning. Your papers are in and I think we will have clearance by eight thirty. Please be here and hopefully you will catch your ferry. I am sorry but someone in customs I think will be in trouble.” Someone in custom in trouble was no great consolation for us. To catch the thirteen-thirty from Zeebrugge we would have to there by midday. The distance was about two hundred and fifty miles which would take four hours minimum. We could not make it in time. “Looks like the wait list in Ostende for us,” I observed through my melancholy as we returned to our trucks to share a cook-up in the GMC which Steve promptly filled with his smoke of doubtful legality. I slept fitfully through the night keen to be in the Frans Maas office on the dot of eight knowing that to have any chance of being shipped across the channel we would have to be out of Aachen sud customs the second our papers were ready. During a sleepless moment I started with the sudden realisation that once we had our papers back from the German authorities they still had to be processed through Belgium customs. Fate was indeed dealing me a cruel blow at this last minute.

Bright and early Steve and I had entered the Frans Maas caravan and, by eight fifteen to give them their due, they were presenting our paperwork to Belgian customs. By nine we were checking through the returned paperwork, the permits, the tanksheins, the tryptychs, the GV60’s, the c of o’s, the invoices and the laufzettl stamps. Miraculously all appeared to be in order. “You also very lucky,” the youth interposed, “No tank dips.” Joy of joy I had got away with an exit tankshein for four hundred litres. “What are we going to do Steve?” I asked, “Zeebrugge or Ostende?” We pondered the fact that we both had bookings on the Townsend thirteen-thirty and that if we were slightly late they might put us on the freighter. “If it exists,” Steve pointed out. On the other hand we could reach Ostend, traffic permitting, quite comfortably for the fifteen-thirty. We asked the youth to telex Ken and ask him to use his best offices to cajole Belgian Marine into carrying us on that fifteen-thirty and upgrade us from the wait list and so we left the customs area by nine-fifteen gunning our engines as we swept back out onto the A3 towards Liege and Brussels. This was a good road, hilly to start as we were traversing a corner of the Ardennes but once we had pushed through the traffic on the Liege ring road the terrain eased to the flat lands of the low countries, the traffic all but disappeared and our only perceived blockage would be coming off the autoroute to pick up the Brussels ring road. Today we were lucky and even the stretches of backbreaking Belgian pave in the Brussels suburbs failed to halt our progress.

By twelve the two trucks, black smoke streaming from our exhaust stacks, were out onto the A10 heading for Ghent, Bruges and then Ostende. Nothing could stop us now I thought, as we passed the turn for Zeebrugge and continued on towards our assignation with Belgian Marine. The A10 came to an abrupt end and we entered Ostende on the main road system arriving at the port basin by two o‘ clock. Papers were lodged instantly with Frans Maas. With my most pleading look I almost begged the clerk behind the window, “Will we make the fifteen-thirty?“ He looked at me, paused, rather too deliberately I thought, playing with us like cat and mouse perhaps. “You may be lucky,‘‘ he said, ‘‘Normally they are running the ’Prins Phillipe‘ on this service but right know she has engine problems. Soon they will tell us what they will do. If they put on ’Prins Laurent’ you will be O.K as she carries many more trucks but we have to wait and see.“

With that bit of doubtful news he disappeared to lodge our papers with customs telling us to return at two forty-five to learn our fate.

In short, Prins Phillipe was substituted by Prins Laurent, Steve and I enjoyed the trip with the free driver’s meals and free wine and we reached Dover Western Docks and disembarked by eight thirty. I handed in my paperwork to George Hammond’s, dropped my trailer in the parking area, said goodbye and Happy Christmas to Steve and hotfooted it up to Whitfield arriving home at about ten.
I was surprised they they were actually expecting me but of course Ken had been phoning and had already told them that I was on the ‘Prins Laurent‘ My wife had managed to keep the children up and the welcome was well worth all the trauma I’d been through. We tucked their sleepy little heads into bed warning them that they had to be asleep when Santa arrived and repaired to the lounge for a nightcap or two as I unwound. I apologised profusely to my good lady who luckily was in an extremely forgiving mode and so to bed. Would I do it again? Absolutely no bloomin‘ way!!!

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings during the year!

I’ll leave you with the words of one of my favourite songs which sums up a lot of what us old timers are on about!

“Young And Foolish”

Once we were foolish children
Playing as children play
Racing through a meadow April bright
Dreaming on a hilltop half the night
Now that we’re growing older
We have no time to play
Now that we’re growing wiser
We are not wise enough to stay

Young and foolish
Why is it wrong to be
Young and foolish?
We haven’t long to be
Soon enough the carefree days
The sunlit days go by
Soon enough the bluebird has to fly

We were foolish
One day we fell in love
Now we wonder
What were we dreaming of
Smiling in the sunlight
Laughing in the rain
I wish that we were young and foolish again

Jazzandy, thank you for taking the time to share all of your memories on here with us. These personal snap shots of the way things used to be are great. Wishing you and yours and everyone else a great Christmas and I hope you can find the time to share some more recollections with us in 2015. :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks Andy for all your super stories throughout the year, it’s amazing how many of them remind me of similar situations that I was in over the years just like it must do for a lot of the other lads on here. For example, this story has just reminded me that on this day in 1980 (was it really 34 years ago :unamused: ) I was in Zeebrugge waiting to get on a Townson Thorenson boat which left about 1 a.m. and after clearing in Dover and tipping in Dudley I arrived in the yard in Stockport at 7 p.m. I still managed to make last orders in my local pub as well as a bit of extra time :smiley: unlike my mate Ken who arrived in Zeebrugge about 5 p.m. and spent the next two days at the Fina garage.
I hope that you and your family have a great Christmas and a fabulous new year and I shall look forward to reading more of your memories in the near future.

Regards Steve.