HMRC & night out money

linkedin.com/pulse/6-april- … ht-o-brien

Receipt of being on a night out? Do they want a ■■■■■■■ selfie of me in the truck on an industrial estate in Leeds? :unamused:

A.

So are they stopping reps getting there usual £49 tax free hotel payments then?
This is getting a bit like an attack on hard working normal people .You can avoid tax if your a millionaire but earn £25 a night for living in a tin and woe betide you

This sort of crap does my ■■■■ swede in :smiling_imp:
Whenever I see this sort of penny pinching ‘‘govt clampdown’’ it always makes me think of the gravy train double standards of the MP ‘‘expenses’’ scandal, which was quietly swept under the carpet apart from one or two scapegoats.

Instead of creaming off our night out money, if they want to concentrate on drivers and nights out, sort out the inadequate and atrocious, parking with facilities situation instead.
■■■■ Tory arse wipes.! . :smiling_imp:

For once the RHA seems to be getting of their backsides

accountancyage.com/2016/03/ … up-claims/

We’ve changed ours, not that our lads do a lot of night outs in cabs, so that it’s a gross figure now called an Inconvenience Payment :wink: , they pay tax on it and the nett is the figure they used to get on night out.

In fairness to the RHA, they have been on HMRCs case for the last few months

Would this have anything to do with the recent rebates many lads have been getting, some up to about 3 grand, or just a coincidence.
I said on the thread about the guy smuggling and on the run, they do NOT like what they see as the underclasses (working and criminal to them :unamused: ) getting one over, or taking on the establishment.and ruling classes etc.
Keep us in our place :smiling_imp:

hardyd44:
For once the RHA seems to be getting of their backsides

accountancyage.com/2016/03/ … up-claims/

From the website:

“The RHA notes that although termination of dispensation rules will occur from 6 April, the historical agreement between HMRC and lorry drivers in regards to overnight expenses will continue. According to the trade group, the taxman continues to display on their website that the agreement will not be continuing.”

“There is no change to the system. Drivers have to be genuinely away in their cabs overnight – in a genuine subsistence position – but nothing further is required.”

““I fear that many hauliers, from the smallest to the very large, may have been told there are changes when there are none; that a more complicated system is being imposed, when that is not the case,” continued Semple”

…and like the dumbass blog poster which Tiredandemotional linked to who seems to also think its coming to an end. Then again in his list of credentials he does say he is a DCPC trainer so we should expect no less than bollox of this magnitude.

So all that has happened is HMRC didn’t update their website to reflect the fact the agreement isn’t changing. There is no requirements for receipts, carry on as before.

Nothing to see here other than a dumbass blog poster getting it wrong and an idiot who believes everything they read on the interwibble on blogs written by nobodies is true because Tory Government. Please move along.

Conor:
Nothing to see here other than a dumbass blog poster getting it wrong and an idiot who believes everything they read on the interwibble on blogs written by nobodies is true because Tory Government.

Hmm.

Conor:
Man made global warming is a massive lie concocted and exploited by governments and business to extort money out of us.
East Anglia University Climate Research Unit, the world leaders, have falsified data and have outright lied to everyone.

You make it so easy at times, Conor. Isn’t it time for another flounce yet?

Its just a supposed “consultant” trying to be bright nothing will change

KO blow Olog :laughing:

The link is 2016 and out of date. I was at an RHA briefing on Monday night and HMRC are pushing through with it. Hence I changed the structure of overnight payments.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, well since these rumours started circulating. You don’t have to think creatively to be able to claim tax exemption on say £15 of a £25 night out payment, and if you are a full tramper with creative thinking it wouldn’t be difficult to get more. I think it would be worth employing an accountant at the end of the year to round it all up for you, If for instance you receive in the region of £5000 a year in night subsistence, you’d pay £1000 tax £600 ni, couple hundred quid to an accountant would be worth it to chop that bill by say 75%.

robroy:
Would this have anything to do with the recent rebates many lads have been getting, some up to about 3 grand, or just a coincidence.
:

I think its more than a coincidence, I read some of those adverts, in the like of truckstop news, and all the stuff they were saying for you to claim, was what I thought the night out money was for !!

albion:
We’ve changed ours, not that our lads do a lot of night outs in cabs, so that it’s a gross figure now called an Inconvenience Payment :wink: , they pay tax on it and the nett is the figure they used to get on night out.

Very commendable :smiley:

Just a thought, if you read my post, were I suggest driver claiming back Tax and NI at the end of the year, maybe with the help of an accountant. How would that effect your employers NI contribution, would you be able to get a rebate on your payments as an employer :question:

I have to say Eddie, I follow the KISS principle in everything, Keep It Simple Stupid. The Stupid being me, not you!. So I keep the tax system really straightforward.

I see where you are coming from, but I’m not sure how HMRC would view that when they would argue there is a (new) existing system.

I’m one of those tedious people that, whilst not looking to pay more tax than I have to, doesn’t go around trying to be too clever. Natural inertia takes over :blush: .

This is not on and drivers should be talking about doing something other than whingeing about it.

Very commendably we have seen that at least one company is increasing the amount paid to take account of the taxable deduction. I doubt very much whether this is going to become a universal reaction to the change. Many, many companies are going to see this an an additional expense which they are not prepared to pay.

Anyone on a good enough rate to get over £865 gross including night out allowance in any week is going to find himself being taxed at 40 %.

robroy:

I don’t think so, it’s not just Road, they’re doing this industry wide in my gig :frowning: . For the last six months we’ve had to keep receipts. HMRC have sent a letter to everyone saying they want us to keep receipts while it’s they review the tax level on our subsistence. Currently we pay tax on subsistence but it’s at a low rate. Common consensus seems to be they’re going to axe it and charge more tax :frowning: . Looks like they’re after subsistence pay everywhere :frowning:

robroy:
I said on the thread about the guy smuggling and on the run, they do NOT like what they see as the underclasses (working and criminal to them :unamused: ) getting one over, or taking on the establishment.and ruling classes etc.
Keep us in our place :smiling_imp:

Exactly my thoughts. People were making historic claims dating back upto 4 years for everything other than the kitchen sink (maps,sat macs, tv’s, bedding etc) and without any proof whatsoever. I think this is HMRC responding to such claims!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The meal allowances have got to be on the radar next. Some companies giving out £50-£75 a week tax free with no need to show any proof that this is what the money is being used for & not just a crafty way of topping up poor wages.

What’s the difference?

So someone explain to this idiot what all this means. I get paid £26 a night for nights away in the cab. Will I still receive that or will I now be taxed on it?