HMRC night out allowance

i need a link to this please
i have looked and failed to find one

i think it’s £24.15 a night

rha.uk.net/docs/documents/Su … s_2012.pdf

about half way down.

Each tax area/office will look at individual operations/circumstances & reach a local agreement with the company & union (if applicable) concerned.
For example back in the early 90’s I worked for a company which dealt with Stafford tax office,our maximum allowance was £18.50 whilst friends of mine who were working in another area were on £20 max.
I believe the £24,50 is a national guideline.
Where I work now they have an agreement of £33 with our tax office (that’s UK nights out btw) unfortunately it used to be £35 but that was reduced around 4 years ago by £2 for some reason! Still fine by me though,4 nights out per week is a nice little bonus,they also allow £37 for non-sleeper cabbed vehicles on nights out but as the company don’t run any day cabs that’s pretty irrelevant.
Contact your local tax office,you may need to actually make an appointment to speak to someone & they will sort it out. By local tax office that wont neccesarily be the one in the area where you live. The office concerened will be the one your employer deals with.

limeyphil:
http://www.rha.uk.net/docs/documents/Subsistence_Payments_for_Drivers_2012.pdf

about half way down.

Good call.

I get £20 a night and its lumped in with all of my other pay so I pay tax on that as well :frowning:

m4rky:
I get £20 a night and its lumped in with all of my other pay so I pay tax on that as well :frowning:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
you are joking■■?

m4rky:

That’s not right is it,do they not know how to do your pay properly or are they lazy?

If I have it right then your employer will be paying extra contributions on your night out money doing it that way so you are both losing.
If you have 4 nights out a week £320p/m,nearly a drivers wages…tell them they are paying unnecessary stamp on what almost equates to another wage and they may take another look.

Do I have this right?
More informed people than I will tell me if I’m wrong or not.

ShropsBri:

m4rky:

That’s not right is it,do they not know how to do your pay properly or are they lazy?

If I have it right then your employer will be paying extra contributions on your night out money doing it that way so you are both losing.
If you have 4 nights out a week £320p/m,nearly a drivers wages…tell them they are paying unnecessary stamp on what almost equates to another wage and they may take another look.

Do I have this right?

my rough calculation, is he is losing about £36 to £50 per week.
i could be wrong, but i think he’s on the windup. it’s either that, or he, and the firm he works for go hand in hand as bloody fools.

limeyphil:

m4rky:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
you are joking■■?

Unfortunately not :frowning:

limeyphil:

ShropsBri:

m4rky:

Do I have this right?

my rough calculation, is he is losing about £36 to £50 per week.
i could be wrong, but i think he’s on the windup. it’s either that, or he, and the firm he works for go hand in hand as bloody fools.

No sorry its not a wind up - I don’t sit a home and make stuff up like some on here.

I will be taking this up with my boss though on Monday as I certainly don’t want to pay tax if I don’t have too

Print the RHA document and take it with you.

Santa:

That’s a good idea cheers :slight_smile:

Are you sure that it is in fact lumped in with your other pay?
Just because it’s in your wage packet doesn’t mean that it has been taxed
It will be shown on your payslip (not often paid cash in hand or in a seperate packet ) but should be shown separate from your hourly pay, bonuses etc.

del949:
It will be shown on your payslip (not often paid cash in hand or in a seperate packet ) but should be shown separate from your hourly pay, bonuses etc.

I’m pretty sure it it as although it is shown separately it is then added together with my pay and then taxed. My payslip certainly does not show it as a separate untaxed amount.

I’ll speak to the boss on Monday.

m4rky:

Santa:

That’s a good idea cheers :slight_smile:

here’s another idea for you.
get form P87 from the tax man. fill out the bit that concerns you.
put a covering letter with it to explain why you arn’t claiming everything at source from your employer.
if you have a tax office local to where you live, make an appointment, and take the form with you.
you could be in for a tidy sum.

m4rky:

del949:

I’m pretty sure it it as although it is shown separately it is then added together with my pay and then taxed. My payslip certainly does not show it as a separate untaxed amount.

I’ll speak to the boss on Monday.

When I did nights out the money was shown separately on the pay slip, in 2 amounts of 75% and 25%. This was in a list of everything, basic, overtime, night out money and meal allowance, with a total at the bottom of the list, but the 75% of the night out money and the meal allowance were then not included in the tax and NI calculation. They weren’t listed anywhere else.

Get two consecutive payslips and see what the difference is between the amounts in the taxable pay to date section and see if that matches the gross from the previous slip or the gross less night out money and then you’ll know

Every one of my nights out was tax free. £20 if in a 7.5t. Or £30 If in a van.
When I worked at Panic. I got £35 for European.

if thats the going rate then for night out money, then can someone tell me why 70% of firms only pay £17-£19 per night.

say a driver that gets today £17 a night and the gaffa starts to give the driver £25.40 thats like a great pay rise =£33.60 pw

greggy:
if thats the going rate then for night out money, then can someone tell me why 70% of firms only pay £17-£19 per night.

That’s the maximum you can pay tax free, without a separate agreement, and like all maximums there will be lower amounts.

greggy:
say a driver that gets today £17 a night and the gaffa starts to give the driver £25.40 thats like a great pay rise =£33.60 pw

Night out money isn’t pay and should not be thought of as such. One of the reasons for some earning low wages in this job is people counting night out money as pay. :wink: