Hino's

An irish lad i was talking to yrs ago said,hino.s are a one off,you buy one you never buy another.

bugcos:
Why were they so popular in Ireland?

Simple answer is they’re the most cost effective way of shifting aggregates and muck. Volvo tippers have stolen that title now thou.

Even new Hino’s have a reputation for being uncomfortable imagine how bad the old ones were :open_mouth:

marcy:

That’s the same motor isn’t it?! Blimey, what a difference a few years/miles/tonnes can make!

paul mc:

Isn’t that the love-child of a Scammell Routeman and a Leyland Marathon?? :slight_smile:

GREAT PIC OF THE D H JONES TRUCK OXO THEY MUST HAVE HAD ABOUT 20 ARTICS AND 8 LEGGERS THINK THEY PUT A 350 ■■■■■■■ AND FULLER BOX IN ONE

High and low of it ladies and gents,you`ll never break a hino.A very dependable lorry.

whiplash:
High and low of it ladies and gents,you`ll never break a hino.A very dependable lorry.

never a true word sed weve tried they just keep going

If this aint style then I dont know what is!
By whiplash_012 at 2008-10-18

Hino taken at as
By whiplash_012 at 2008-10-18sembly plant in Dublin

HE 336 at DunLa
By whiplash_012 at 2008-10-18oghaire,early 80`s

MJD & Sons had a couple of the FYs new in 88, I was ‘lucky’ enough to get one, F156WCW, it wouldn’t pull a greasy stick out of a dogs arse & the brakes were terrible, it had the lightest steering you can imagine but no feel at all, the bunk was tiny & as they’re built for short arse Japanese I was driving with my knees up by my ears, it had a twin splitter in & the stick was connected to the selectors by elastic bands, it was like stirring a bucket of bolts with a broom handle.

That apart it was a million miles better than the 111 it replaced & it had an awesome pair of air horns on it! The trim was all push button draylon & it was warm & quiet as a result, the mirrors may have looked weird but they gave an excellent field of vision.

It was unbreakable though & very easy to work on, not that it ever needed it, IIRC most of the nuts & bolts were 9/16th so you could do most things with only one spanner, a very simple piece of machinery, which is probably why the tipper boys loved them, the tippers also had a naturally aspirated engine that was a lot bigger than the turbo intercooled one in the artics, so it was probably even more reliable.

One day they’ll get the cab sorted & with a decent engine & brakes they’ll have an impressive piece of kit that will be a serious threat to the Volvo’s, Scania’s, Daf’s etc, The Japanese are now the largest producers of cars & motorcycles in the world, it won’t be long before they do the same with lorries.

J HARRIS IN DUBLIN AROUND 1989

i know this is an old thread…but here goes.
the reason hinos were so popular in ireland from themid 70 is.
pino harris,the main agent
he would take anything in as a trade in and
bikes boats wives :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .
you could have a new truck in weeks.
in those times,most of what we had were erfs/fodens/aecs/guys.
all reliable but very uncomfortable trucks to drive.
suddenly.we got hinos,
3 speed heater/power steering/radio you could hear as the enging noise wasnt too bad/sprung cab.
a sleeper cab,small i know but i saw 20 stones men sleeping in them.
beats the leyland/foden family hands down.
generally a lot more comfort than we were used to.i had 3 of them myself.
and they were reliable.
i dont know why they dont do units anymore,just rigids more the pity.
they were and still are a great truck.

they made mr harris one of the wealthiest men in ireland.
he is also a very astute buisnessman.
if you want a hino tipper off scania/volvo etc,you wait for months.
these manufacturers cant get building space in the body shops,harris has tham all taken up.
you want a tipper off mr harris,you get it in a few weeks.
now probably a few days.
he gets the finished product ready to sit in his yard where possibe,hence giving you a truck of the shelf.

well there was a newish type hino unit pulling containers north /south yesterday :unamused:

an artic glenman?

W H Malcolm have more than 1 running, not a 100% sure though

This was Nr1
Brian

Saw unit with bottle gas on the trailer in Middleton Co Cork Last Week Kilkenny reg 08

That malcolm hino tractor looks pretty smart, in my opinon dont like the small midlift wheel though ( on any vehicle ) :wink:

yes greg50,do see them from time to time along with the odd daewoo .dont think they are hard to get just that not a lot are buying hino units,im sure if harris were asked they could supply as many as you would want.