Hinos, anyone?

There’s a Hino, Axor and Scania around here with them. I know the Axor was an imported ex Irish demo and I’ve heard the Scania was too. Very low, not ideal for aggregate but they’re tough old girls. The Scania and Axor both have big spill guards on the headboard so that must bump the tare up.

Had a loaded Hino 8w mixer pass me the other day while I was stood at the bus stop. Had my back to it…never heard it till it was right next to me. Are they usually that quiet?

See Mick George’s motors around a lot, Northants and Peterborough areas, regularly see Hino’s in his colours.

I have an idea they could be a well kept secret, being simple tough and durable, ideal for tipping/grab/skip work, but increasingly in the world of general transport where we so often see the latest electronic computerised bling rubbish on the back of recovery vehicles or otherwise yet again VOR for bloody spurious warnings etc and electronic failures i wonder if things have gone a bit too far, and simple manual old school (if it aint broke don’t fix it) vehicles built to do a tough working job and not just for image might be an answer.

I’d love to long term trial a properly specified Hino tractor on my regular full weight work, sadly just a pipe dream.

Muckaway:

hodgeturbo:
neil price from barrow in furness has just bought another 2 hinos.the gear changes have been changed and given air assist

That’s the first new Hino I’ve seen since 09 plates. Do Hino make their own tipping bodies loads I’ve seen seem to have the same style, very bloody low!
I loaded one of Sheehans of Oxfords’ Hino tippers yesterday with 19.5t of gravel chippings: That took some doing it nearly fell off the sides!

both of these have got boweld bodies with the air claw auto doors on them they tare in at 12.200

Bewick:
When are you going to get round to buying a decent motor then Paul,ever heard that slogan,“Where ‘Barra gars,Maryport follas’” Eh! Cheers Dennis.

tempted dennis but i"ll stick with scania just at the moment

hodgeturbo:

Muckaway:

hodgeturbo:
neil price from barrow in furness has just bought another 2 hinos.the gear changes have been changed and given air assist

That’s the first new Hino I’ve seen since 09 plates. Do Hino make their own tipping bodies loads I’ve seen seem to have the same style, very bloody low!
I loaded one of Sheehans of Oxfords’ Hino tippers yesterday with 19.5t of gravel chippings: That took some doing it nearly fell off the sides!

both of these have got boweld bodies with the air claw auto doors on them they tare in at 12.200

That’s a great tare weight for a steel body. A firm come into our pit with Boweld mucklite bodies on Scania P cab chassis and all carry between 19800 and 20000.
Is the economy feature unique to Hinos? I like that when empty you cut the hp from 410 to 360 or whatever.

hodgeturbo:

Bewick:
When are you going to get round to buying a decent motor then Paul,ever heard that slogan,“Where ‘Barra gars,Maryport follas’” Eh! Cheers Dennis.

tempted dennis but i"ll stick with scania just at the moment

And may I say,a very wise decision Paul,I wouldn’t and couldn’t have made a better one me’sel !!! Dennis.

Am of the opinion that they must be o.k. as Carryfast hasn’t slated them… :smiley:

E.W.

EW car truck & bus:
Am of the opinion that they must be o.k. as Carryfast hasn’t slated them… :smiley:

E.W.

“Carryfast” just thinks the “R” has been ommitted and its really Zoo animals we’er on about !! Bewick. :bulb: :laughing: :wink:

juddian wrote-
" I’d love to long term trial a properly specified Hino tractor on my regular full weight work, sadly just a pipe dream."
are you mad or taking the p1ss?
trust me you would not want to long term trial tojo’s revenge.

andrew.s:
are you mad or taking the p1ss?
trust me you would not want to long term trial tojo’s revenge.

Why? whats wrong with simple durable reliable?

Have you driven current Hino artics, can you compare them to the rest of the current offerings and explain whats so bad about them?

There are a lot of them here,they’re reliable,easy to get bit’s for,easy to work on and can do the job at 44 tonne.

They have Road Ranger boxes,spicer clutches and Dana diffs with Hendricson rear suspensions. The Hino motors are Euro 5 spec. A lot of blokes who used to buy ERF’s and Foden’s are buying them,they have very similar drive lines.

A lot of people in the UK would be surprised at how good they are. They are a good honest no frills gaffers motor,which is on top of the job.

The days of them being a scabby muck away tipper have gone.

What boxes do they have in them in the UK,fuller?

Zf 16 speed. They seemed to have slowed down selling in London. Renault had a big push in the tipper Market and shifted a fair few keraxs in to firms who bought hinos in 06 07 but scania seem to be shifting a lot of tippers the last year or so.

kr79:
Zf 16 speed. They seemed to have slowed down selling in London. Renault had a big push in the tipper Market and shifted a fair few keraxs in to firms who bought hinos in 06 07 but scania seem to be shifting a lot of tippers the last year or so.

Scanias are probably the lightest. Good resale value too unlike Hinos, although for a new owner driver you’d be able to get a bargain.

i’d love it if mine had a fuller roadranger-it has indeed got a zf 16 speed(a box i really like when installed in a daf)but it has a cable linkage ,and a slap across range change.the one i have is so stiff it just ruins the lorry.
the ride is terrible and the interior is very cheap and nasty.
it does have a couple of good points,the brakes are excellent(drums all round),the engine brake is also very good.it is very good off road and pretty quiet.
however the the shocking gearshift overshadows any good points it may have.it is a chore to drive because of it.
perhaps mine is just a bad one(although ive driven another that was worse lol).

Still think they`re a ■■■■ looking beast.

andrew.s:
i’d love it if mine had a fuller roadranger-it has indeed got a zf 16 speed(a box i really like when installed in a daf)but it has a cable linkage ,and a slap across range change.the one i have is so stiff it just ruins the lorry.
it does have a couple of good points,the brakes are excellent(drums all round),the engine brake is also very good.it is very good off road and pretty quiet.
however the the shocking gearshift overshadows any good points it may have.it is a chore to drive because of it.

thev"e put air assist on the new ones and you can buy kits to convert older ones.i havn"t had a go in one yet but the lads i have spoken too say its transformed the gear change

hodgeturbo:

andrew.s:

thev"e put air assist on the new ones and you can buy kits to convert older ones.i havn"t had a go in one yet but the lads i have spoken too say its transformed the gear change

thats a good idea,but cant see the tight arse i work for shelling out on some HE doesnt need lol.

We’ve got the Hino 710 on the road in Australia - a 12.9 litre engine but pretty basic & underpowered.

Watch out for the Chinese though !

The FOTON TRUCK company announces the Auman GTL, powered with Weichai, ■■■■■■■ & now Mercedes engines. Looks like quite a lot of collaboration with Mercedes from the cab style ?

They already produce 600,000 trucks (of all size) a year and must be a sleeping giant ?

auman_gtl_16615[1].jpg

Who cross bred an Axor with a Hino■■?
:laughing: