Hinos, anyone?

Muckaway:
Who’s driven them (any vintage) and what are your opinions?

Any age? Well I’ve done a bit in the older FGs over the years. Oldest was on removals around Sydney but also the odd run to Brisbane and back - it had the standard 5-speed box (I think it was 5, bit hard to tell cos the shift was crap) and was underpowered for a 14-tonner with a pantech body. Steering was standard early 80s Jap truck - ■■■■■ - brakes a bit overwhelmed sometimes. But still a lot better than an equivalent Isuzu. A later one on teh same removals mob had the tubo motor and (I think - memory’s a bit hazy) a ZF box, I think 9-speed. Only drove it a couple of times. Later ones I’ve driven (flat beds carting packaging) were a bit better but still underpowered and all of them had noisy brakes. Cabs were basic and even later models were plasticky. But still better than the equivalent Isuzus. Not drive any of the recent 500-series so can’t comment, but IMO Jap trucks are still well behind any Euro truck when it comes to cab design and driver ergonomics. That said if all you want is something bog basic and cheap to run they’ll prolly do the job, but don’t expect drivers to thank you.

truck-photos.net/picture/number4162.asp

my dad drove for JJ LOWE out of Bray Dublin and had one, most of the time was spent running between the films studio in Bray and the studio outside London. The girl in front of the truck is now the wife and the DAF above was also his

Another cracking thread.

Hi All,yep drove a few in my time but not as working motors as such.I lived in the Irish Republic in the 80,s and had my own signwriting business but also had a truck licence as I was for many years a driver,heavy goods.I had a contract with an Irish truck bobybuilders.Kelly Coachbuilders of Castledermot,Co kildare.In those far of days Kellys built most of the bodies on the Hino Chassis.The importer was Harris Hino based near Dublin airport.Most nights a few drivers(my self included)used to run up to Dublin with finished trucks and return with chassis for fitting out of various bodies,ie,tippers,mixers but we also did boxvans,cattle floats,platforms ect.I drove most of the models,4,6 and 8 wheelers but also artics,we used to fit the hydralic tipping tanks and pipes.
The Irish loved these motors.But I never rated them much and I did drive a few on general but having said that they were robust and paddy was not behind the barn door re shall we say putting the little extra on board!!!In my time at Kellys we built hunderes of them…I believe Harris had a place up the northern english end of the A1,(cant remember exactly…Catterick??)Saying all this I did manage to actually paint a few.Happy Days.
Regards Mick

mickthebrush:
Hi All,yep drove a few in my time but not as working motors as such.I lived in the Irish Republic in the 80,s and had my own signwriting business but also had a truck licence as I was for many years a driver,heavy goods.I had a contract with an Irish truck bobybuilders.Kelly Coachbuilders of Castledermot,Co kildare.In those far of days Kellys built most of the bodies on the Hino Chassis.The importer was Harris Hino based near Dublin airport.Most nights a few drivers(my self included)used to run up to Dublin with finished trucks and return with chassis for fitting out of various bodies,ie,tippers,mixers but we also did boxvans,cattle floats,platforms ect.I drove most of the models,4,6 and 8 wheelers but also artics,we used to fit the hydralic tipping tanks and pipes.
The Irish loved these motors.But I never rated them much and I did drive a few on general but having said that they were robust and paddy was not behind the barn door re shall we say putting the little extra on board!!!In my time at Kellys we built hunderes of them…I believe Harris had a place up the northern english end of the A1,(cant remember exactly…Catterick??)Saying all this I did manage to actually paint a few.Happy Days.
Regards Mick

i had a brand new 1 in 1989, and drove it for a good 12 years

Hino in Portugal, many years ago…

i’m really struggling with the hino ive been lumbered with-the gearshift is exceptionally stiff and i have a couple of cracked ribs on my left side after an incident two weeks ago-every single gearchange hurts like ■■■■.poxy lorry,i hope it catches fire…

Unterflur:
Hino in Portugal, many years ago…

…is it me or does that look like an old Maggie (both favoured by the tipping fraternity at one time methinks)

A local subbie has just traded his 08 reg Hino 8w in for a 55 reg Scania 8w with the high cab. Apparently the Hino has devalued a fortune.

Muckaway:
A local subbie has just traded his 08 reg Hino 8w in for a 55 reg Scania 8w with the high cab. Apparently the Hino has devalued a fortune.

hino’s dont hold their money very well on the second hand market, getting some spares can be a right problem as a lot of parts factors/dealers dont even stock general wear and tear items such as brake linings, i know a local haulier thats had 2, the first had an engine problem and went back as he tried all over and never sorted it, the second had various faults and then blew a turbo and after it taking the best part of a week to find one he was charged an arm and a leg!
the parts supplier could charge what he wanted as he was aware of the lack of parts, after being stood for most of the week it was an expensive repair and it was also the final staw for the rino!
As with most things in life they are cheap for a reason!

I had one for a very short while, brand new on the F plate, IIRC they were the SH283 model (The same as the yellow one on page one) They went ok as I remember, but the steering was far too light and the brakes were bloody awful. Inside they were like a 1970s settee, all brown buttoned draylon and the bunk was tiny, the mirrors also took some getting used too as they had about half a mile of tube welded up and sprouting out at all angles. They had electric tilt mechanisms for the cab, which I thought was pretty nifty and I think every nut and bolt was 9/16th, so they were easy to work on. The firm had them for years (I left about a couple of months after they came home) AFAIK they were reliable enough :wink:

One thing I do remember is that the salesmen were so keen to make a deal they said they would tax them both for a year as part of the deal (which was very cheap anyway) the extra 3100 quid discount finally persuaded my ex boss to make the deal, much to the embarassment and cost to the pocket of the salesman :laughing:

Not had anything to do with the new crop, I assume that they’re a decent bit of plant, but I would be worried about long term parts supply, they’re cheap to buy, so residuals are unimportant, but they’ve been on the market three times since the 70s, after a couple of years they go away and all the dealers move on to other stuff :open_mouth:

Most tend to be run by operators with Irish ancestry around here.

Remember when Top Gear used to do articles on new trucks?. Here’s a clip from 1989 ao the new Hino 8 wheel tipper, click on the link for a bit of nostalgia

youtube.com/watch?v=WYS7rIHA3kg

this is a hino i restored

the front

sorry george for late reply .henry a still going strong they have 15 top 20 trucks i think now.going since the mid 1930s.they do alot of bulk chemicals tankers etc.
heres a pic of the new man they have
well 11 regd i should say
<

neil price from barrow in furness has just bought another 2 hinos.the gear changes have been changed and given air assist

hodgeturbo:
neil price from barrow in furness has just bought another 2 hinos.the gear changes have been changed and given air assist

That’s the first new Hino I’ve seen since 09 plates. Do Hino make their own tipping bodies loads I’ve seen seem to have the same style, very bloody low!
I loaded one of Sheehans of Oxfords’ Hino tippers yesterday with 19.5t of gravel chippings: That took some doing it nearly fell off the sides!

When are you going to get round to buying a decent motor then Paul,ever heard that slogan,“Where ‘Barra gars,Maryport follas’” Eh! Cheers Dennis.

Muckaway:

hodgeturbo:

That’s the first new Hino I’ve seen since 09 plates. Do Hino make their own tipping bodies loads I’ve seen seem to have the same style, very bloody low!
I loaded one of Sheehans of Oxfords’ Hino tippers yesterday with 19.5t of gravel chippings: That took some doing it nearly fell off the sides!

mines got a body from jimmy kelly in ireland-its heavy aswell(even for a grab)tare is 16.700 tons!!