Hino, why so rare?

Juddian:
ssembed motors, mind you by the time you’ve fitted a countries normal extras and legal bits i suppose quick final assembly isn’t much more.

Didn’t they used to assemble Volvo’s in Scotland at one time?..still?

FL10s used to be assembled in Scotland.

Harry Monk:

Juddian:
ssembed motors, mind you by the time you’ve fitted a countries normal extras and legal bits i suppose quick final assembly isn’t much more.

Thought it was FL10’s, did they come in flat pack like MFI kitchens or was there proper production facilities eg castings machinings or pressings on site do you know?

I don’t know, but imagine they would have arrived as CKD kits.

Juddian:

Harry Monk:

Juddian:

Thought it was FL10’s, did they come in flat pack like MFI kitchens or was there proper production facilities eg castings machinings or pressings on site do you know?

All the eight wheelers were built in Scotland too, the old F86 8x4 had twin headlights although the rest had single lamps.

Harris Hino opened a massive parts place up the A1 near Catterick

Hino has won the Dakar Rally for the last 3 years in the under 10litre class with 12 out of 13 victories on the podium.

Hino Dakar.JPG

unit in the uk
lorryspotting.com/newsArticl … 1123958866

d4c24a:
unit in the uk
lorryspotting.com/newsArticl … 1123958866

Also seen on the previous page posted by Harry Monk…Seen by the rest of us bothered to look at the rest of the thread. :laughing:

Hino, built for japs. No good for anyone over 6 foot tall.
Flippin seat is carved into position.
And the indicators/wipers are the wrong way round.
Daf every time for me…and don’t start me on MAN’s either with the crap horn and gear stick position.

grabster:
Daf every time for me…and don’t start me on MAN’s either with the crap horn and gear stick position.

Indicators on the right of the steering column then?

Brilliant, just where they always were on proper cars until we started to import and build foreign designs converted badly to RHD.
My old Mercedes car has the indicators in the right place, to the right of the steering colum, proper automatic box too…able to drive easily and still cuddle the lovely lady…life’s good…:wink:

:smiley:

Is the 700 series a sleeper or rest cab?

grabster:

I can level exactly the same criticism at the Renault Lander day cabs.We’ve got one at our place and I get two days of backache for every one day I drive the ■■■■ thing; I’m due a new truck in April and I’m praying it’s a Volvo!

gnasty gnome:

grabster:

I can level exactly the same criticism at the Renault Lander day cabs.We’ve got one at our place and I get two days of backache for every one day I drive the ■■■■ thing; I’m due a new truck in April and I’m praying it’s a Volvo!

+1 How renault manage to sell them is a mystery to me.

mucker85:

gnasty gnome:

grabster:

+1 How renault manage to sell they is a mystery to me.

When we got ours, the bloke from the bodybuilders came over for a day to do a demo; it carries a Mofatt tele-handler. According to him there’s a £10K cost saving over the equivalent Volvo FM chassis-cab; they’re even built on the same line!

Ours does its job well I have to admit, but the cab really shows up where that ten grand went.

glenman:
as far as i know hinos are still assembled in dublin,at least they used to be, and i would guess it wouldnt take long to get parts from ireland across to the uk in a hurry.

How’s thing’s Glenman,yes Harris build’s them on the Naas road.To answer the O.P. Hino’s are possibly the hardest truck on fuel on our road’s,everything else does’nt matter after that fact.Shame as they are pretty rugged and easy maintained kindof like the early DAF’s.

Muckaway:

Depends how big you are :smiley:

Mate of mine works for a tipper operator (about 25 in the fleet) who bought one on a 57 plate,has just got rid of it and isn’t considering anymore at the moment.

The driver liked it and it stood up to the work well but they found it quite thirsty and expensive on parts.
Went through a few rear springs i think.

Juddian:

grabster:

Indicators on the right of the steering column then?

Brilliant, just where they always were on proper cars until we started to import and build foreign designs converted badly to RHD.
My old Mercedes car has the indicators in the right place, to the right of the steering colum, proper automatic box too…able to drive easily and still cuddle the lovely lady…life’s good…:wink:

:smiley:

Not on all old cars, at least the Japanese used indicator stalks, before that the arms popped out of the door jamb, indicators were optional extras or aftermarket gadgets :stuck_out_tongue:

Centre Switch.JPG

Hub Switch.JPG

Before the steering hub switch the indicator switch was screwed onto the dash anywhere it could be fitted, sometimes near the passenger!

grabster:

I’m 6ft and found it to have plenty of space, the seats comfy (isringhausen air seat) and the indicator are hardly a problem once you get used to them.

If you like Daf’s I assume you like niggly electrical problems? :smiley:

Muckaway:

I’ve done one night in it. It was…fairly comfortable. It would be a lot nicer with the proper matress, rather than a piece of cloth attatched to some plywood. Hino do do them though and they are supposed to be very comfy.

If you were a big, strapping fella you’d struggle because the bunk is narrower at both ends than in the middle but for most others for occasional nights out, I’d say its just about adequate.

Juddian:
Interesting the clutch as gone but presumably the truck made it home under its own steam, hope that turns up quickly and fairly priced and you are under way again soon Hammer…64 thou dollar question, would you buy another?

Yes, I got it home no problem, although overtaking some cyclists was interesting when the clutch started slipping quite badly! :open_mouth:

The clutch is £380, ordered 9am yesterday, delivering 9am today. Hopefully fitted and back on the road for tomorrow. I don’t think thats too bad?

Would I buy another one? No, I’d keep mine! :laughing: Seriously, it depends on your outlook. Mine is like this; tippers are a simple job and need a simple tool. Hino’s are relatively simple machines. They are very cheap to buy so you don’t need as much finance as when buying a ‘premium’ brand truck. This obviously impacts on resale value when you want to get rid but gives daily benefits because you keep more of the money that you are earning every day. When you’ve kept a bit more of what your earning, you don’t need to be so desperate to return to the road when you have a mechancial… :sunglasses:

My plan was to buy one low mileage (3.5 y/o, 140,000kms) and run it for at least 6 years. Hopefully, there will be a healthy export market for them when in a few years as many markets won’t want i-shift’s, disc brakes, ABS, adblue etc. For the same money as I gave for mine I could have had a 6 y/o Daf with 450,000 kms or a Volvo FM9-300 that was 7.5y/o and had done 650,000kms!