Hino, why so rare?

dafdave:
No personal expereance of them at all but met a paddy many yrs ago he said they were a one off i e,you buy one you never buy another.
regards dave.

Lasted forever or bargepole?

as far as i know hinos are still assembled in dublin,at least they used to be, and i would guess it wouldnt take long to get parts from ireland across to the uk in a hurry.

Wm Armstrong is a Hino dealer/agent. It must say alot about them when you consider that they don’t operate or buy many Hino’s. Mainly MAN’s and Renaults you see them with. If they were any good, I’m sure Armstrongs would run their whole fleet Hino. Just a thought. :unamused:

W H Malcolm had a few tippers,hooklift skips and artics from Hino.They just came off the road recently but dont think he s got any to replace them

Not really liked as they are quite heavy once they’ve got all the tipping gear on, and the price advantage they had over DAF/Volvo/Scania has all but disappeared now.

Juddian:
Basic?, yes but not a problem for me, parts? hmm that’s probably the stumbling block.

Interesting to hear about the one doing the rounds in Glasgow, i did wonder if they might be hated but begrudgingly admired by drivers.

Would anyone else consider them for owner driver artic 44t work, i like old school simplicity and ruggedness over pretty and toys and i wouldn’t own an auto if you gave me the bloody thing, my local indy workshops already work on them and the lads with the spanners seem to reckon them, but you can never have enough views…warped or otherwise. :wink: .

As the only tractor units that anybody has seen are on Local Multi drop work and Harry’s picture is of a Milk tanker. I think you’d only condsider them if you stayed local to a parts supply. And even if they are a bit cheaper to buy I should think the depreciation would drop through the floor.

Juddian:

dafdave:
No personal expereance of them at all but met a paddy many yrs ago he said they were a one off i e,you buy one you never buy another.
regards dave.

Lasted forever or bargepole?

I got the impression he meant bargepole.
regards dave.

It’s always surprised me that the Japanese have never had a serious attempt at cracking the European truck market, their cars may be bland and plasticky but you can’t fault the engineering.

Not to sure if its still there but Harris used to have a place at the end of the village, Brompton on Swale
where they used to nail them together. Seem to remember a couple of local firms running tippers, Banner and John Wade.

The Hino engine sounds amazingly smooth on tickover though.Totally constant and not a hint of vibration.

I haven’t been anywhere near any of the current models, but had one of both the 8 wheelers and the tractor units that were around in the late 80s, the tipper was a very good machine, a big lazy naturally aspirated engine and the thing was solid as a rock, the tractor unit was ok, not bad, but not particularly good either, the brakes were terrible and cab space was very limited, they were the major critisisms as far as I can remember. The dealer network was not up to much and a lot of them took other franchises as they were not big sellers, then they disappeared until Foden went ■■■■ up and here they are again.

Do you remember the mixer driver? he bought a new one!!!

captin scarlet:
Not to sure if its still there but Harris used to have a place at the end of the village, Brompton on Swale
where they used to nail them together. Seem to remember a couple of local firms running tippers, Banner and John Wade.

I think Wade’s were a dealer for them so had a few, I was a banksman at Banners when he had these. He started with 2 then when on to get(I think) another 4 part exing among other things a Dennis 4w tipper, they were fitted with steel bodies for muck shifting and carried about 18.5 tonne.The drivers all seemed happy with them, but they did come off some crap to get them so anything was a step up.At one time we had 10 trucks made up of about 6 different makes the Hino’s were bought as both replacements and fleet expansion but we still ended up with a mixed fleet including, the Hino’s, couple of Sed atki 8w, AWD 6w and a Steyr 4w he certainly wasn’t afraid to try something different

I’ve owned one for 2 1/2 years (6x4 tipper). Solid and reliable, I’ve changed a brake chamber and I’ve got a thrust bearing just going now. Bar that, servicing and nothing else. I’ve given my opinions numerous times on them in other threads. IMO, they are excellent for basic jobs. Its done everything I’ve ever asked of it. I’ve even had a night out in mine (no curtsains, nightheater or mattress :sunglasses: :laughing: )!

good horns on them hinos. frightens the life outa old dears lol

Some interesting replies, thanks for them.

I too am surprised at the Japanese not trying harder, as said, not only are they designed from scratch for RHD, but proper Japanese cars pick ups and smaller trucks/buses are rightly respected by those able to see past the image/badge thing.

Those who have used them or owned seem pleased, not a luxury machine but an honest well engineered tool by the sounds of it.

Hammer’s experience is very good, wish i could say similar good things about tipper/rolonoff 6/8x4’s i’ve driven over the years, how did fuel consumption compare please H, and how have you found parts/servicing…not as you’ve needed much bar filters and fluids by the sound of it.

Keep them coming, i’d like to hear of any tractor units in use too.

I never got to drive the demo we had but I liked the driving position and no nonsense layout. I gather they are assembled in Ireland hence why many operators of Irish descent have them. Are they still sold over here, I havent seen any newer than an 08 reg? Bloody good on the tip, but to get 20t on an 8w the body would need to be bloody flimsy.

hino.ie/ContentBuilder/Displ … d=DA000012

Juddian:
Some interesting replies, thanks for them.

I too am surprised at the Japanese not trying harder, as said, not only are they designed from scratch for RHD, but proper Japanese cars pick ups and smaller trucks/buses are rightly respected by those able to see past the image/badge thing.

Those who have used them or owned seem pleased, not a luxury machine but an honest well engineered tool by the sounds of it.

Hammer’s experience is very good, wish i could say similar good things about tipper/rolonoff 6/8x4’s i’ve driven over the years, how did fuel consumption compare please H, and how have you found parts/servicing…not as you’ve needed much bar filters and fluids by the sound of it.

Keep them coming, i’d like to hear of any tractor units in use too.

Fuel consumption is heavier than my old Daf 75-270 by about 1mpg which isn’t great. However, I’ve got another 90bhp and it far more reliable. I don’t do massive mileages anyway so its not as important as some might find it. I find on really hard jobs, its actually very similar because it climbs the hills quicker. Its very similar fuel wise to a couple of Volvo FM9’s in the quarry and a Scania 114. Can’t get near the ■■■■■■■ engined ERF EC11 or the P-reg Sedd Atki though…

As for parts, they are expensive no two ways about it. However, they break down less so its swings and roundabouts. I’m about to find out how much a clutch is and how quickly it comes as the clutch is knackered (thought it was the thrust bearing, looks like the who thing). In the garage where mine goes, he maintains about 5 Hino’s (2 hooklifts and 3 tippers including mine) and he finds the parts to be a bit hit and miss - either very quick or takes a long time when compared with other makes.

Thanks for the further replies, (and the link to the Harris pages), still assembled in Ireland then, presumably container ships for cost, but i’m surprised its cheaper than importing full assembed motors, mind you by the time you’ve fitted a countries normal extras and legal bits i suppose quick final assembly isn’t much more.

Didn’t they used to assemble Volvo’s in Scotland at one time?..still?

Interesting the clutch as gone but presumably the truck made it home under its own steam, hope that turns up quickly and fairly priced and you are under way again soon Hammer…64 thou dollar question, would you buy another?