Hino, why so rare?

Prompted to ask this because one the posters in Muckaways O/D thread mentioned them and i’ve always wondered why they haven’t become more popular.

Only couple of weeks ago i was in our local indy commercials workshops (proper place where you can still talk to the mechanics and not banned from the workshops) and we got onto the subject of Hino’s as they do service them too.

The mechanics find that servicing is all they usually require, but mentioned that they could be awkward sods if more involved work needed, though that was seldom as they seem to be tough enough to cope will all.

I understand Hino are a Toyota company, i’m quite a fan of Toyota products and their customer care philosophy, tend to be a bit old fashioned and none the worse for that, don’t release something till they’ve got it right and only replace it with better.

I see a fair number of Hino tippers but rarely see a tractor unit, why is this?

I admit i like old school if it aint broke don’t fix it vehicles, Axors, CF’s and the like with manual boxes, no pretence with these and no form over function, just workhorses, are Hino’s in the same league?

Anyone who has had Hino experience of driving/owning or anyone else care to comment?

My Irish Boss started with a Hino but couldnt use em for European Work as nowhere Workshops and Parts for it.

Yes i can understand the European aspect but for UK only work i would have thought there would be adequate cover.

Tbh I think they gained their niche by taking over the Foden dealers and being able to supply vehicles at short lead times. Then when the other manufacturers could supply at short lead times people stuck with what they know.

Like Starfighter said they’ve got a bit of a niche in tipper work, if you have a small fleet with a few of them then it would be worthwhile have a stock of parts and of course the mechy’s will know the trucks.

But could be a bit of a problem if one breaksdown away from base and many small hauliers stick with what they know and the dealer they know even if they change makes.

Hino stands for “Hope it’s not ours”. :wink:

You have to be small with bandy legs to fit in one .

Juddian:
I see a fair number of Hino tippers but rarely see a tractor unit

Just for you then.

To be fair they ain’t a bad construction motor.

Ive noticed there not a rare sight in ireland there everywhere.

Mullens:
Ive noticed there not a rare sight in ireland there everywhere.

Which is why they are known as “Paddy’s Motorbikes”

Yeah yeah i know you, but seriously if the tipper lads can’t break 'em they must be pretty tough.

I’m sure i’ve seen a couple of artics but rare as hens teeth, the tanker above looks OK, apparently quite a light motor too.

Anyone driven or owned them like to give an unbiased… :laughing: :open_mouth: :wink: report on their experiences.

Very basic cabs. not driven one but have been for a ride a few years back.

Juddian:
Yeah yeah i know you, but seriously if the tipper lads can’t break 'em they must be pretty tough.

I’m sure i’ve seen a couple of artics but rare as hens teeth, the tanker above looks OK, apparently quite a light motor too.

Anyone driven or owned them like to give an unbiased… :laughing: :open_mouth: :wink: report on their experiences.

I know the driver who works for Armstrong doing the same run as me in Glasgow. (I am Pall-Ex and he is Palletforce) He drives a Hino tractor (might even be that one in the pic but not sure) and he says its a pile of pooh. It just wont die though and seems to be indestructable. It must be if it can handle multi drop pallet work in Glasgow every day IMO.

I suspect parts would be an issue you can get most daf,merc parts sameday. Hino christ knows 48hours maybe?

Basic?, yes but not a problem for me, parts? hmm that’s probably the stumbling block.

Interesting to hear about the one doing the rounds in Glasgow, i did wonder if they might be hated but begrudgingly admired by drivers.

Would anyone else consider them for owner driver artic 44t work, i like old school simplicity and ruggedness over pretty and toys and i wouldn’t own an auto if you gave me the bloody thing, my local indy workshops already work on them and the lads with the spanners seem to reckon them, but you can never have enough views…warped or otherwise. :wink: .

Posted twice, haven’t a clue why.

Possibly the cost of shipping them over from Japan? You’d think that the brand might have taken off over here after ERF’s demise, given that they seem to fill the “gaffer’s motor” criteria of being tough, basic and affordable. Add to that the fact that they’d be produced in RHD form anyway for the Japanese market.

There are a few round here, one of the Tarmac franchisees round Cardiff way runs a couple of 8-leggers,and a fruit and veg wholesaler, Peter Broughtons, an 18 tonne curtainsider.

Well with the exchange rate and the Yen being hellishly strong, certain makes of cars are fast disappearing, Subarus rare as hens teeth and Daihatsu stopped importing altogether, so Hino’s must be bloody cheap…are they made in Japan though, or like Hilux’s made in Thailand or South Africa depending on destination market.

Or more likely we’re paying well over the odds for European trucks…got us by the balls with no UK truck industry now.

No personal expereance of them at all but met a paddy many yrs ago he said they were a one off i e,you buy one you never buy another.
regards dave.