Highway Agencys

04:15 going on the M62 i sees the highway agency parked on the police patrol cars only bay or whatever you call it?

Further down on opposite carrigeway about 500 yards a women had broken down and stood in the trees in the dark, arnt they suppose to be patrolling the motorway from certain junctions? instead of sat on there ■■■■■■■ asses going to sleep?

sorry but my views on this is very wrong, there getting paid to do a job, fair enough if it was the old bill with a speed camera but no it wasnt.

Poor women at that time in the dark and assholse sit in a police lay by.

ok your comments are welcome now ive said my piece.

Might be on a break .

I see your point killer100 but as said in another topic things may not always be what they seem.

How do you know they had not already payed a visit to this lady. How do you know if the control room was keeping an eye on her via CCTV. You say they were 500 metres away. Could they see her from there. Were they handy if a CCTV operator or they saw someone pull up. Did this person have a friend who was answering a call of nature out of site:?:

killer100:
Poor women at that time in the dark and assholse sit in a police lay by…

Had they been told to stand by at that location, because there was police interest in her, and it was not safe to approach.

Had she only just arrived?

Ok from real life. We were called by control to tell us of a lone female who had broken down. Our instructions were to drive to the junction just before her location and park up. Apparently there were possible issues surrounding this person, as it turned out there were no problems, we attended, helped her out recovery etc. job done
As has been said on another thread things are not always what they seem. And for the record we are authorised to use “police patrol cars only bays” although not many of us do.

Slightly off subject but; How soon is it before someone catches hypothermia whilst waiting for recovery, especially as winter approaches. I can understand the logic of getting people out of cars, in such a potentially dangerous situation. But I cringe when I see some Families poorly dressed freezing halfway up motorway embankments.

Mmm funny. what have people done for the last 50 years when they have broken down and its cold■■? It isnt the HA’s job to keep people warm.

All year round the HA put out notices warning people of heavy traffic, dont go out unless you have to, when its cold take extra layers etc. Have a look here every now and again highways.gov.uk/.

In relation to the other subject, as has been said, how do you know she hasnt already been seen to, it isnt their job to sit behind cars all day. Why put 2 cars at risk when you can have 1 car, move it over so any wandering truckers dont roll onto the H/S and hit it, and get the people away from it.

Big Jase:
Mmm funny. what have people done for the last 50 years when they have broken down and its cold■■? It isnt the HA’s job to keep people warm.

All year round the HA put out notices warning people of heavy traffic, dont go out unless you have to, when its cold take extra layers etc. Have a look here every now and again highways.gov.uk/.

In relation to the other subject, as has been said, how do you know she hasnt already been seen to, it isnt their job to sit behind cars all day. Why put 2 cars at risk when you can have 1 car, move it over so any wandering truckers dont roll onto the H/S and hit it, and get the people away from it.

They weren’t forced to stand outside then! Read the post :unamused:

renaultman:

No one is forced to do anything. We don’t have any power to make them get out of a car. However they are advised for their safety they should do so. You will also find that the national breakdown companies give the same advice over the phone.

For wet weather we can provide plastic poncho’s (which to be fair are plastic bags with holes but better than nothing) and space blankets for the cold. In extreme conditions it has been known for mum and the kids to be taken to an MSA leaving dad to wait for recovery.

Another reason why we don’t stay unless there is good reason goes as follows.

Mr Numpty sees hazard lights and nothing. Mr Numpty sees lots of flashing lights and he thinks, oh this might be interesting so he slows down. Trucker 1 then has to move out into lane 2 slowing trucker 2. Behind trucker 2 is Mr Tootle who only does 55-60 but likes lane 2. He then moves into lane 3 still doing 55-60 causing Mr Vectra who is doing 90 to slam on. This is followed by Mr Mondeo, Mr Volvo etc. apart from Mr Dopey who sees it to late, swerves into lane 2 and becomes Trucker 2’s 27th pallet. :unamused:

renaultman:

Big Jase:

I did read the post and it doesnt say they were forced to sit outside. :unamused: As i understand it, the TO’s cant tell anyone to get out as Snafu said.

Id rather have a week of a cold than 6 foot under.

snafu:

Mr Numpty sees hazard lights and nothing. Mr Numpty sees lots of flashing lights and he thinks, oh this might be interesting so he slows down. Trucker 1 then has to move out into lane 2 slowing trucker 2. Behind trucker 2 is Mr Tootle who only does 55-60 but likes lane 2. He then moves into lane 3 still doing 55-60 causing Mr Vectra who is doing 90 to slam on. This is followed by Mr Mondeo, Mr Volvo etc. apart from Mr Dopey who sees it to late, swerves into lane 2 and becomes Trucker 2’s 27th pallet. :unamused:

Ain’t that the truth …

As above people don’t have to exit the vehicles but do travel in colder weather with next to nothing except what they are wearing …
Even though I,m a go home every day man in the colder weather I carry extra stuff , food,clothes,hot drinks etc …
For all other occasions considering I drive a Landrover I,am wearing my keep warm gear :laughing: :laughing:
I have put in the back of my better halfs car an all weather Hi Viz jacket , which is adequate for her journey into town if she was to break down .

Big Jase:

Why wondering trucker why not coach, car, crane, driver, m/bike rider, why single out the lorry driver

A while back I crawled along at walking pace past Corley services for 45 mins as the motorway was reduced to one lane for some reason, when I eventually got to the incident a small renault kangoo van had hit the central barrier and got stuck in the gravel trap, directing the traffic were the crew of two “traffic officer” four wheel drives, Insted of standing waving there arms would it not have been better for everyone if they had hooked up a strap and towed the van onto hard shoulder and swept the gavel up getting traffic back to normal!

mikermhh:
A while back I crawled along at walking pace past Corley services for 45 mins as the motorway was reduced to one lane for some reason, when I eventually got to the incident a small renault kangoo van had hit the central barrier and got stuck in the gravel trap, directing the traffic were the crew of two “traffic officer” four wheel drives, Insted of standing waving there arms would it not have been better for everyone if they had hooked up a strap and towed the van onto hard shoulder and swept the gavel up getting traffic back to normal!

I thought that would require the police to do a rolling traffic block to enable the TOs to clear the scene.

Dafman:

Big Jase:

Why wondering trucker why not coach, car, crane, driver, m/bike rider, why single out the lorry driver

I’ll guess that apart from a crane, i hardly see manyof the others in the inside lane. Also, i’ve personally never seen anything other than a truck veer across the hard shoulder.

Dafman I agree. In my experience ALL road users drift onto the hardshoulder as my underpants will testify :smiley: but nothing gives them a workout like 42 tonnes wandering :laughing:

mikermhh

Yes you are right in most circumstances we would just drag it (doing our own block if need be ROG) and sweep up. However as I say things may not be as they seem. I don’t know the exact situation but dragging a wreck has certain limits.

For example, if the wreck has lost a wheel we can drag it out of the way but cause so much damage to the road surface that we could end up with a longer closure because the road has to be resurfaced. Like most things in life it’s swings and roundabouts.

mikermhh:

Well with all the H+S and policies and insurance issues , it would be highly likely the HATO are not covered to do such a thing and would be liable for any further damge done to the vehicle pulling it into the hard shoulder .
Thats why you have to wait for recovery people .

snafu:

renaultman:

No one is forced to do anything. We don’t have any power to make them get out of a car. However they are advised for their safety they should do so. You will also find that the national breakdown companies give the same advice over the phone.

For wet weather we can provide plastic poncho’s (which to be fair are plastic bags with holes but better than nothing) and space blankets for the cold. In extreme conditions it has been known for mum and the kids to be taken to an MSA leaving dad to wait for recovery.

Talking of Mr Numpty slowing down when seeing a HA Muppet over the top 4X4, why do the HA take great pleasure at parking in the ‘Smokey Perches’ at the side of the motorway, or on bridges over the motorway? The traffic visibly slows down as ‘Mr Numpty’ as he is called slams his brakes on thinking he has just come across a copper, in fact i have seen too many near accidents as people slam brakes on and take their eyes off the road to bog at the HA. They could park somwhere else quite easily, the M1 around 19-20 is a prime spot for one that regulary parks on the bridge in full view, they must giggle as they see the chaos they create. Personally, and this is purely my view, I am not led by anyone else’s comments on this site, I think they are a waste of time and money. I would love to see more traffic police on the road instead as we used to have, but the goverment in their wisdom rather than make the police force more appealing chose to equip the HA with uneccesary 4X4’s that look a bit too much like the police, hoping this would fill a void they have created. (regarding investigating complaints as mentioned elsewhere I am in discussions with the HA regarding the ridiculous overtaking ban (trial) on the A14 at the Mo, and will publish all findings on here, but I have broached several subjects, including complaing about a HA 4X4 that jumped out of lane 1 at Catthorpe into lane 2, drove several hundred yards and dived back in again, causing all of us in lane 2 to brake and sit there while he squeezed back in, just what we see ‘Mr Numpty’ doing every day, you think he would be more professional?! Guess what? they are not investigating that!)

I do not doubt they do an essental job now we have hardly any traffic cops, and yes it is bloody dangerous to work alongside a motorway, I wouldn’t do it, in fact I nearly applied to be one when they first set up. But wish they (the goverment) had more sense and gave them the same transits that the clear up crews have. They can be fitted with night heaters, crew cabs, carry more equipment, Go just as fast and ‘Mr Numpty’ wouldn’t panic when he saw one (it works fine in France). They would also gain alot more respect from people, who view them as pretend policemen. I have had personal experience of the HA from a fatal accident I was involved with, and they were useless, the police actually said that themselves to us witnesses, BUT i do realise there are good and bad in everything. For me, if they stopped pretending to be coppers, and just got on with the bloody hard job they do, they would gain my respect however much I disagree with why they were brought in in the first place. OK rant over, i await the torrent of abuse!

Dieselcowboy, I am inclined to agree with you, they are ‘pretend policemen’…sorry Police Persons :unamused: :unamused: . This government is fobbing us off, its the same if you walk around any town in the UK - no real coppers just ‘Community Support Workers’ or whatever they are, dressed up in imitation Police outfits. They have no more powers than you or I have when making a citizens arrest. :unamused: Like the Highways Officer bods, another waste of time in ‘Mr Brown’s Plastic Britain’ TM :imp:

What is the gripe with the HA, they do a very good job… they are not pretend Police officers they are Traffic Officers, So by saying that your saying a van driver is a wanna be class 1 driver so 2 speak. they have a few powers and can have more imposed on them… I believe its a criminal offence to fail to comply with a traffic officers instructions which in return could lead to a £5000.00 fine or up to 51 qeeks in the slammer at the worst.

Give the guys a break they are only doing a job.

Dieselcowboy:

snafu:

renaultman:

Talking of Mr Numpty slowing down when seeing a HA Muppet over the top 4X4, why do the HA take great pleasure at parking in the ‘Smokey Perches’ at the side of the motorway, or on bridges over the motorway? The traffic visibly slows down as ‘Mr Numpty’ as he is called slams his brakes on thinking he has just come across a copper, in fact i have seen too many near accidents as people slam brakes on and take their eyes off the road to bog at the HA. They could park somwhere else quite easily, the M1 around 19-20 is a prime spot for one that regulary parks on the bridge in full view, they must giggle as they see the chaos they create. Personally, and this is purely my view, I am not led by anyone else’s comments on this site, I think they are a waste of time and money. I would love to see more traffic police on the road instead as we used to have, but the goverment in their wisdom rather than make the police force more appealing chose to equip the HA with uneccesary 4X4’s that look a bit too much like the police, hoping this would fill a void they have created. (regarding investigating complaints as mentioned elsewhere I am in discussions with the HA regarding the ridiculous overtaking ban (trial) on the A14 at the Mo, and will publish all findings on here, but I have broached several subjects, including complaing about a HA 4X4 that jumped out of lane 1 at Catthorpe into lane 2, drove several hundred yards and dived back in again, causing all of us in lane 2 to brake and sit there while he squeezed back in, just what we see ‘Mr Numpty’ doing every day, you think he would be more professional?! Guess what? they are not investigating that!)

I do not doubt they do an essental job now we have hardly any traffic cops, and yes it is bloody dangerous to work alongside a motorway, I wouldn’t do it, in fact I nearly applied to be one when they first set up. But wish they (the goverment) had more sense and gave them the same transits that the clear up crews have. They can be fitted with night heaters, crew cabs, carry more equipment, Go just as fast and ‘Mr Numpty’ wouldn’t panic when he saw one (it works fine in France). They would also gain alot more respect from people, who view them as pretend policemen. I have had personal experience of the HA from a fatal accident I was involved with, and they were useless, the police actually said that themselves to us witnesses, BUT i do realise there are good and bad in everything. For me, if they stopped pretending to be coppers, and just got on with the bloody hard job they do, they would gain my respect however much I disagree with why they were brought in in the first place. OK rant over, i await the torrent of abuse!

After this post i would hope that if you are in ‘discussions’ with the HA about the overtaking ban that you do it more eloquently than this. Otherwise i fear they may be laughing as loud as i am. I’m guessing your hearts in the right place !!!