High Winds.

So, at what wind speed will you refuse to take a truck out onto the road? wether empty or loaded, single or double decker.
already seen the humber bridge incident were the driver ignored the closure sign, which happens regularly there and at the ouse bridge on the M62 at goole, and other places with closure signs round the country being ignored.

5 mph :blush:

If I’d been given a Lockerbie or Penrith changeover tonight the answer would’ve been no.

mozzy666:
5 mph :blush:

:smiley:

Sounds foul out there now. Feel for the night trunkers too

Conor:
If I’d been given a Lockerbie or Penrith changeover tonight the answer would’ve been no.

Im sat at Princes water place near penrith being loaded now and its deffinately twitchy up here!

If the sign says closed, then it’s closed.
Ignoring a closed sign is just stupid and arrogant.

However, to answer the original question, subject to any advice not to go somewhere high / exposed etc, I’d just crack on.
Been through some serious gusts and still got home at end of the shift / rota.

Think there was a rigid over on Friarton bridge (Perth) as well. I’d have been going through the town. It depends on the route and what I’m driving/carrying TBH. Quite relieved my son has taken a month off driving while his ewes lamb and I’m still housebound with a knackered knee.

Stay safe folks

I’ve had the curtains open a couple of times. But I’ve never really driven in anything too tragic.

Hope its not bad tomorrow, running light to Manchester then empty back to Dewsbury. Today on the 62 was a bit hairy, same with the M18 on the way back.

It was indeed a bit draughty on the M62 this morning.
Took it steady (tall trailer wafting everywhere) and got passed by 2 Argos motors! :blush: :blush:

I Had a chat with the with the gaffer when I got back today about the wind and the curtains and I’ve noticed you don’t seem to see drivers with the curtains strapped open much anymore. Anyone else noticed this. I’ve only had to do once and that was in my class 2 days several years ago. Any tips from the pros for doing with the bigger curtains.

Really needed to open up my curtains on my empty 18t rigid coming back from Tyneside to St Helens on Friday but I’m not really sure how to do it. Only driven boxes and ratchet straps are still a bit of a mystery to me.

A1M was horrible and an extremely tedious drive regularly slowing up to 40mph.

Any youtube vids knocking about?

Quite glad now I didn’t run out tonight, sounds like two giants fighting outside.

If the sign says closed, then it’s closed.
Ignoring a closed sign is just stupid and arrogant.

no its not, woodhead last week was showing as closed to highsiders, got to the turn off and it wasnt to bad at all, so i went for it, ffs yes it was blowing but no where near hard enough to close it :open_mouth:

infact it was blowing harder today and wasnt close :open_mouth: :unamused:

However, to answer the original question, subject to any advice not to go somewhere high / exposed etc, I’d just crack on.
Been through some serious gusts and still got home at end of the shift / rota.

+1 been through some bad weather over the years never had a problem yet and not once said, sorry cant go im scared :grimacing: :laughing:

red7jase:
I Had a chat with the with the gaffer when I got back today about the wind and the curtains and I’ve noticed you don’t seem to see drivers with the curtains strapped open much anymore. Anyone else noticed this. I’ve only had to do once and that was in my class 2 days several years ago. Any tips from the pros for doing with the bigger curtains.

First thing is to check your trailer is spec’d to run with the curtains open, otherwise you can rip the ■■■■■■■ roof clean off!

SuperMultiBlue:
Really needed to open up my curtains on my empty 18t rigid coming back from Tyneside to St Helens on Friday but I’m not really sure how to do it. Only driven boxes and ratchet straps are still a bit of a mystery to me.

A1M was horrible and an extremely tedious drive regularly slowing up to 40mph.

Any youtube vids knocking about?

pull curtains to the rear open door onto it and racket strap it, then do the same on the other side, then put a strap around both doors, then put 2 or 3 straps over the roof just to stiffen things up

F-reds:

red7jase:

First thing is to check your trailer is spec’d to run with the curtains open, otherwise you can rip the ■■■■■■■ roof clean off!

as long as you open the rear doors and throw a strap or 2 over the top of the trailer its fine, in 26 yrs + i have never seen a roof blown off

Spotted loads with their curtains open the other day. Of course one let the side down by having the back doors shut

when gusts are over 50 mph they should park certain types up like emptie deckers.