High Winds.

burnley-si:

F-reds:

red7jase:
I Had a chat with the with the gaffer when I got back today about the wind and the curtains and I’ve noticed you don’t seem to see drivers with the curtains strapped open much anymore. Anyone else noticed this. I’ve only had to do once and that was in my class 2 days several years ago. Any tips from the pros for doing with the bigger curtains.

First thing is to check your trailer is spec’d to run with the curtains open, otherwise you can rip the ■■■■■■■ roof clean off!

as long as you open the rear doors and throw a strap or 2 over the top of the trailer its fine, in 26 yrs + i have never seen a roof blown off

Curtains closed TAUT, and I mean on the straps, not at the bar ends, and never had any trouble, 15’9 single deck Q7 spec air-freight trailers - ie not on little wheels - and no probs.
Had a few gusts where I’ve thought “here we go”, checked mirrors and all wheels still firmly on the deck, so I just crack on these days.
BUT, make sure that the straps are bloody tight.

burnley-si:

If the sign says closed, then it’s closed.
Ignoring a closed sign is just stupid and arrogant.

no its not, woodhead last week was showing as closed to highsiders, got to the turn off and it wasnt to bad at all, so i went for it, ffs yes it was blowing but no where near hard enough to close it :open_mouth:

infact it was blowing harder today and wasnt close :open_mouth: :unamused:

Sorry mate, but it was closed, and you went for it, if you were blown over then it would’ve been your own tough ■■■■ for ignoring the sign.

I’m not saying that signs in the UK are always correct, hell I’m sure there’s monkeys in charge of most of the matrix signs, but if anything happened on that journey, I would expect the insurance to wipe their hands, hence it’s ignorant and arrogant.
Wind isn’t a constant, it comes and goes and gusts, so they close the road / bridge based on the information at the time, just because you got LUCKY doesn’t mean that the information was wrong

How high is a high sider?
Ho hi is a China man.

waynedl:

burnley-si:

no its not, woodhead last week was showing as closed to highsiders, got to the turn off and it wasnt to bad at all, so i went for it, ffs yes it was blowing but no where near hard enough to close it :open_mouth:

Sorry mate, but it was closed, and you went for it, if you were blown over then it would’ve been your own tough [zb] for ignoring the sign.

I’m not saying that signs in the UK are always correct, hell I’m sure there’s monkeys in charge of most of the matrix signs, but if anything happened on that journey, I would expect the insurance to wipe their hands, hence it’s ignorant and arrogant.
Wind isn’t a constant, it comes and goes and gusts, so they close the road / bridge based on the information at the time, just because you got LUCKY doesn’t mean that the information was wrong

I agree, plus you may be fine on the enclosed sections until you get to an open gap where the wind slams into you then knocks you over.

I know certain bakers have a habit of taking there trucks of the road when the winds pick up.

Its hard to say/judge. Depends on wind/weight/trailer height etc etc.

44t with european spec trailer, no problem.

Double decker running empty, i wouldnt be so sure.

burnley-si:

However, to answer the original question, subject to any advice not to go somewhere high / exposed etc, I’d just crack on.
Been through some serious gusts and still got home at end of the shift / rota.

+1 been through some bad weather over the years never had a problem yet and not once said, sorry cant go im scared :grimacing: :laughing:

+1 same for me…if road/bridge is closed.divert,apart from that,crack on. always a few twitchy :open_mouth: moments,but just crack on and go for it anyway.to be fair ive never worked away for any plobber companies,so using your initiative tends to put things into perspective than the Tosco type lemmings who have never experienced the …must make boat… option of employment.it can help if your running better than the limiter to tag along 2 abreast to take the pressure off,or at least if 1 it tips,the 2nd one will hold them up till it tips back,but ive still never been flipped.

Hats off to the rigid driver on the 62 today who went past me flat out , just one thing though work on that poker face … When I overtook you after you slowed to 5 mph , fingernails stuck in the steering wheel , white as a sheet and looking like your about to cry is not a good look for someone so brave :smiley:

1FLEETRENEGADE:
Hats off to the rigid driver on the 62 today who went past me flat out , just one thing though work on that poker face … When I overtook you after you slowed to 5 mph , fingernails stuck in the steering wheel , white as a sheet and looking like your about to cry is not a good look for someone so brave :smiley:

What time was it and which direction were you traveling?

waynedl:

burnley-si:

F-reds:

red7jase:
I Had a chat with the with the gaffer when I got back today about the wind and the curtains and I’ve noticed you don’t seem to see drivers with the curtains strapped open much anymore. Anyone else noticed this. I’ve only had to do once and that was in my class 2 days several years ago. Any tips from the pros for doing with the bigger curtains.

First thing is to check your trailer is spec’d to run with the curtains open, otherwise you can rip the ■■■■■■■ roof clean off!

as long as you open the rear doors and throw a strap or 2 over the top of the trailer its fine, in 26 yrs + i have never seen a roof blown off

Curtains closed TAUT, and I mean on the straps, not at the bar ends, and never had any trouble, 15’9 single deck Q7 spec air-freight trailers - ie not on little wheels - and no probs.
Had a few gusts where I’ve thought “here we go”, checked mirrors and all wheels still firmly on the deck, so I just crack on these days.
BUT, make sure that the straps are bloody tight.

Watched a video a few years back showing what happens to a trailer with it curtains back, it showed in the film an empty trailer lifting off the road because of the trailer acting like a box kite with the curtains back, very frightening to watch, I never tied mine back after that, but made sure they where well tight, but I suppose it’s up to the individual driver what he does, just stay safe.

In a recent storm a bloke in a 7.5t had tied curtains back had it all open and the body just collapsed. It was parked up in the A17 sutterton services in a right sorry state

About 1/2 12 i was travelling west bound officer !!

1FLEETRENEGADE:

About 1/2 12 i was travelling west bound officer !!

Wasn’t me then!

seen as you asked i thought id check the experts channel for advise and look what i found

youtube.com/watch?v=vv1XaGmE3Cw

Suedehead:
How high is a high sider?
Ho hi is a China man.

I think the official stance by the police is, if the vehicle is taller than it is wide its classed as high sided.

The Forth Road Bridge has a list of what is and isn’t allowed to cross during the “high-side vehicle” restrictions.

forthroadbridge.org/travel/ … d-weather/

waynedl:

burnley-si:

Sorry mate, but it was closed, and you went for it, if you were blown over then it would’ve been your own tough [zb] for ignoring the sign.

no luck in it, its experience :wink: :grimacing:

the following is an excellent site for wind, have been using it for years, very reliable and accurate.
xcweather.co.uk/

(not sure how much use it would be for the modern satnav trucker as they probably won’t know where on the map they are)

raggylad:
when gusts are over 50 mph they should park certain types up like emptie deckers.

When have you ever seen a decker on its side because of wind? I drove cairnryan - Livingston - cairnryan - Livingston today pulling 16’2 trailers (cairnryan - Livingston empty) with no dramas

Came down to this disaster this morning-

Even the Christmas Reindeer is cowering behind the plant pot. [emoji946]

scanny77:

raggylad:
when gusts are over 50 mph they should park certain types up like emptie deckers.

When have you ever seen a decker on its side because of wind? I drove cairnryan - Livingston - cairnryan - Livingston today pulling 16’2 trailers (cairnryan - Livingston empty) with no dramas

+1
Trailers with the small wheels - ie deckers and some other step frame style mainly - have a very low centre of gravity, I must admit, they’re fine for pulling along, you can get blown about, but very unlikely to get blown over.