High winds- lift axle up or down?

last night i had one of the scariest drives ive had…i was coming back from leeds over the m62,i was pulling a empty 15ft 6 tautliner.i was in a merc.i was travelling about 40 mph because of the high winds and driving rain the lift axle was up. the orange triangle was warning on the dash that the unit was loosing traction.in my wisdom i dropped the lift axle…BIG MISTAKE.because i was empty and how wet the roads were the unit started to snake everytime i accelerated,even when i accelerated gently,this dropped my speed to about 20 mph however the other trucks had also reduced speed significantly in front and behind…i lifted the axle up at the first opportunity i dared to take a hand off the steering wheel.what in your opinion is best thing to do in these circumstances.pulling the curtains isnt an option on our trailers.
any advice will be greatly appreciated

clarkyboy:
last night i had one of the scariest drives ive had…i was coming back from leeds over the m62,i was pulling a empty 15ft 6 tautliner.i was in a merc.i was travelling about 40 mph because of the high winds and driving rain the lift axle was up. the orange triangle was warning on the dash that the unit was loosing traction.in my wisdom i dropped the lift axle…BIG MISTAKE.because i was empty and how wet the roads were the unit started to snake everytime i accelerated,even when i accelerated gently,this dropped my speed to about 20 mph however the other trucks had also reduced speed significantly in front and behind…i lifted the axle up at the first opportunity i dared to take a hand off the steering wheel.what in your opinion is best thing to do in these circumstances.pulling the curtains isnt an option on our trailers.

Hang on tight boys and girls and screeaaammmm :stuck_out_tongue:

The Orange Triangle will be warning you that it is slippery. It is the ASR (Anti Slip Reduction) which is basically traction control.

If it is slipping with the lift axle off the ground, it will slip more if you lower it to the ground. There is one answer if it is that bad, lift your foot of the loud pedal a bit :open_mouth:

it was a arse twitchin few miles thats for sure

It’s a merc- they slip! Surprised the weight of the air wasn’t enough to force the lift axle down. Not a lot you can do except slow down and clench your buttocks :slight_smile:

BTW clarkyboy - I was born in Mancot!

gardun:
It’s a merc- they slip! Surprised the weight of the air wasn’t enough to force the lift axle down. Not a lot you can do except slow down and clench your buttocks :slight_smile:

no wonder you live in swansea now if you are from mancot :wink:

clarkyboy:
the orange triangle was warning on the dash that the unit was loosing traction.in my wisdom i dropped the lift axle…BIG MISTAKE.

I’d say. You really didn’t think that through did you? :wink: The unit was already having traction problems so you took even more weight of the drive axle and increased the problem.

lof.jpg
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Seriously, the only thing you can do in that situation is slow down and offer up a prayer to your Deity of choice.

youre right i didnt think it through… :blush: i thought 6 wheels on the tarmac is better than 4…just not in the wet :blush: lets put it down to inexperience

Down.

Windy weather - love it NOT !!!

Remember a journey that I had that was tip enfield and then to strood with the remaining 3 tonne on a D/D. No thankyou not going over that bridge in this wind with a D/D and only 3 ton.
Had the route changed no probs to drop 3 ton first then work back to enfield. Explaining the reasoning why Strood was first to the people that worked at that depot took longer to explain, they were more concerned with how they were going to get a few cheps back :unamused:
The next day maybe - Idiots :laughing:

clarkyboy:

gardun:

no wonder you live in swansea now if you are from mancot :wink:

Grew up in Broughton though. Careful - my brother works in Flint :laughing: :laughing:

My mate learned a lesson several years ago, he was being rather inventive in Turkey. He had a 3300 DAF, it was a day cab but that doesn’t really matter.

He had traction problems on the way down so had some hooks welded on the second steer axle. He then dumped the air and hooked a chain on. He was going great guns until it got a bit windy, the second axle wheels acted like a sail and kept pulling the steering wheel out of his hands when it gusted :laughing:

Great idea and I used it once to get up a snowy slope in CZ

Why isn’t it an option to pull your curtains back??

the curtains dont fold…they are old mrs distribution trailers and the curtains are so thick its untrue…

FarnboroughBoy11:

Are you trying to say that the curtains act like a sail and if the curtains were strapped open then you wouldnt get blown about as much :bulb: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Because the pressure build-up as the air tries to pass through the sides can be enough to lift the trailer roof and apparently modern trailers aren’t bolted together that well and so you can end up losing your trailer roof.

Used to always tie the curtains back and open the barn doors when I was on for RCS at Castleford and never once had any issues, gales or no gales.

clarkyboy:

Slow down & turn the radio up! :open_mouth:

Rob K:

FarnboroughBoy11:

Because the pressure build-up as the air tries to pass through the sides can be enough to lift the trailer roof and apparently modern trailers aren’t bolted together that well and so you can end up losing your trailer roof.

Used to always tie the curtains back and open the barn doors when I was on for RCS at Castleford and never once had any issues, gales or no gales.

when it was really windy a few months ago, there was a few trailers with their roofs blown off on a 20 mile stretch of the m62 heaqding west from huddersfield. I was quite surprised as i had never seen that before with 1 trailer, never mind 3 or 4

Years ago I used to tie curtains open and also open the trailer doors and tie them back, got quite quick at it as I used to do a far bit of empty running but this was 20 yrs ago and trailers were sturdier in those days I’m sure.

A lot off modern trailers now the curtains make up part off the structural strength , it’s part of the design to save weight !

Our trailers are sturdy enough to tie the curtains back.

I’ve seen a couple of Euroliners with the roof on floor but not UK style curtainsiders.

Whats the problem with just waiting till the wind dies down, you’re only loaded with fresh air anyway?

W