High winds- lift axle up or down?

clarkyboy:
last night i had one of the scariest drives ive had…i was coming back from leeds over the m62,i was pulling a empty 15ft 6 tautliner.i was in a merc.i was travelling about 40 mph because of the high winds and driving rain the lift axle was up. the orange triangle was warning on the dash that the unit was loosing traction.in my wisdom i dropped the lift axle…BIG MISTAKE.because i was empty and how wet the roads were the unit started to snake everytime i accelerated,even when i accelerated gently,this dropped my speed to about 20 mph however the other trucks had also reduced speed significantly in front and behind…i lifted the axle up at the first opportunity i dared to take a hand off the steering wheel.what in your opinion is best thing to do in these circumstances.pulling the curtains isnt an option on our trailers.
any advice will be greatly appreciated

I was on the same road last night, going to stoke via M6, with a Volvo Box for DHL the High winds caused a few scary moments, but keeping to the 40 limit was spot on.

Surely, if a driver is this worried about causing an accident because of high winds then he should park up in a sheltered location and wait for the wind to abate?

Harry Monk:
Surely, if a driver is this worried about causing an accident because of high winds then he should park up in a sheltered location and wait for the wind to abate?

^^ THIS!!

Although, I’ve never found it to be that bad, been diverted several times because of high winds, drove double decks (both curtain and fridges) and never really found the winds a prob.

Was over woodhead yesterday with no worries, today it’s shut ■■

I’ve always been more worried about gettin’ ■■■■■■■ off the curtain in high winds than blown over.

Sat waiting for dublin boat @ heysham docks. Gotta collect a dekker for chesterfield. With only 6 months exp i Will be ■■■■ clenching over windy hill tonight

Same route again for me tonight…lift axle UP!!!

xahara1272:
Sat waiting for dublin boat @ heysham docks. Gotta collect a dekker for chesterfield. With only 6 months exp i Will be ■■■■ clenching over windy hill tonight

It’s my experience of pulling deckers that they behave incredibly well in windy conditions, even when empty and it’s probably due to the weight of them. I am sure you’ll be fine.

Rob K:
It’s my experience of pulling deckers that they behave incredibly well in windy conditions, even when empty and it’s probably due to the weight of them.

What, even though they have a much taller superstructure on the exact same chassis that a trailer three or four feet less tall would have?

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Rob K:

FarnboroughBoy11:
Why isn’t it an option to pull your curtains back??

Because the pressure build-up as the air tries to pass through the sides can be enough to lift the trailer roof and apparently modern trailers aren’t bolted together that well and so you can end up losing your trailer roof.

Used to always tie the curtains back and open the barn doors when I was on for RCS at Castleford and never once had any issues, gales or no gales.

Blimey I never knew that!! It must be the middle perspex “slabs” that go is it? As the metal bars go across every couple of ft or so in most curtain siders seem quite sterdy.
Problem is with the double deckers I drive at the moment is that they havent got barn doors just a fixed flat backboard which will act as a parachute like on a dragster :laughing: but I’m always running loaded so never a problem but I still think I would take my chances by pulling the curtains back on an empty straight frame and lob a few ratchets over the roof for strength.

Harry Monk:

Rob K:
It’s my experience of pulling deckers that they behave incredibly well in windy conditions, even when empty and it’s probably due to the weight of them.

What, even though they have a much taller superstructure on the exact same chassis that a trailer three or four feet less tall would have?

Indeed, tis puzzling Mr. Monk and I would have joined you with an array of :unamused: myself prior to have driven them (Poundies DD box 16’2, Bedfords triple deck curtain 16’2 & some tyre place single deck curtain 16’2 tall), but they do stand up to winds surprisingly well for their size. Rigids with their shorter wheelbase have always caused me the most arse-nipping moments in gales, and even more so with 7.5 tonners.

ETA: don’t forget the CoG is usually a few ft lower on the deckers as well which will help stability.

i’ve just come north on the M6 like a yacht tonight … :open_mouth:
still ive saved some tyre wear on the passenger side for next week so my boss will be pleased . :sunglasses:

clarkyboy:
last night i had one of the scariest drives ive had…i was coming back from leeds over the m62,i was pulling a empty 15ft 6 tautliner.i was in a merc.i was travelling about 40 mph because of the high winds and driving rain the lift axle was up. the orange triangle was warning on the dash that the unit was loosing traction.in my wisdom i dropped the lift axle…BIG MISTAKE.because i was empty and how wet the roads were the unit started to snake everytime i accelerated,even when i accelerated gently,this dropped my speed to about 20 mph however the other trucks had also reduced speed significantly in front and behind…i lifted the axle up at the first opportunity i dared to take a hand off the steering wheel.what in your opinion is best thing to do in these circumstances.pulling the curtains isnt an option on our trailers.

park :exclamation:

was no where near as bad tonight on the m62…

If you tie those curtains back, you have to open the rear doors

the wind blowing on the windward side of the trailer is only half the poblem, there’s also the low preassure that eddies on the leeward side causing a ‘sucking’ effect. Trailers are simultaneously blown and sucked over when in a cross wind.
Best thing to do is run in tandem with another wagon but the vehicle on the outside sits half way up the length of the inside one, this should disrupt the airflow enough to avoid the preassure differential.

Sod the cars in lane 2 honking and flashing, they’ll be held up slightly for sure by you doing this, but they’ll be held up even longer if the motorway is shut while they recover you.

Rob K:

Harry Monk:

Rob K:

Indeed, tis puzzling Mr. Monk and I would have joined you with an array of :unamused: myself prior to have driven them (Poundies DD box 16’2, Bedfords triple deck curtain 16’2 & some tyre place single deck curtain 16’2 tall), but they do stand up to winds surprisingly well for their size. Rigids with their shorter wheelbase have always caused me the most arse-nipping moments in gales, and even more so with 7.5 tonners.

ETA: don’t forget the CoG is usually a few ft lower on the deckers as well which will help stability.

There’s a more than one reason for what you experienced Rob :wink:

Firstly, as you say, the C of G is lower which helps to anchor you a bit.
Secondly as the trailer is lower, than a standard one you get less leverage against the point of bend or lean i.e. the suspension. The wind may move you across a lane easier for example but tilt you over less giving you a more stable or planted feeling :wink:

Watch what happens when a decker slows due to a side wind and a low trailer passes it. The low trailer shields the lower portion of of the decker, so only the top of the decker gets the full hit. That sure makes em lean due to leverage and having no wind on the lower area to create a more even application of force . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

How many deckers went over in the winds last year as opposed to more standard types who thought they were surely safer due to being lower overall ■■ Physics is a funny thing ya know :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

clarkyboy:

Hi, I know where your talking about as i’m up there at least one a week. I take it your relatively new ish with trucks as you wouldn’t post this otherwise. When empty in windy conditions particularly with a curtain sider all you need to do is lower your speed. The speed limit is a limit not a target.

Rob K:

This is actually quite an important part of the equation. After 7 years of driving deckers I think that they are as stable as any other trailer. Just bear in mind the weight and where it is. Loading them is a complex issue best left to intelligent FLT drivers if you can find one :wink:

I was on a Bridge in Manchester once carrying 4/5 ton in a 16’ trailer, wind was lifting the trailer off its wheels on one side, everytime I put on my air/hand brake it came back down, everytime I tried to move and released brake, up she lifted again, go figure that one, luckily a nice chap pulling a full laden 40’ blocked the traffic, came along side and shadowed me across, not one car hooted

Having hydraulic rams on my one does seem to make things nice and steady with the lower centre of gravity. The A frame sure does snake a lot though.

I did wonder why some guy sat next to my trailer over the dartford last night. I didn’t find it that bad at 40 but he was in a 7.5 so as you guys have said may have been more unstable. Amazingly the approach felt worse than going over the bridge!

billybigrig:

Rob K:

Harry Monk:

Rob K:

There’s a more than one reason for what you experienced Rob :wink:

Firstly, as you say, the C of G is lower which helps to anchor you a bit.
Secondly as the trailer is lower, than a standard one you get less leverage against the point of bend or lean i.e. the suspension. The wind may move you across a lane easier for example but tilt you over less giving you a more stable or planted feeling :wink:

Watch what happens when a decker slows due to a side wind and a low trailer passes it. The low trailer shields the lower portion of of the decker, so only the top of the decker gets the full hit. That sure makes em lean due to leverage and having no wind on the lower area to create a more even application of force . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

How many deckers went over in the winds last year as opposed to more standard types who thought they were surely safer due to being lower overall ■■ Physics is a funny thing ya know :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, I agree. I was going to mention what you wrote in your last paragraph too, but couldn’t be sure of any figures to support it. I don’t ever recall seeing any deckers on their sides in a ditch in windy conditions, but always plenty of standard size trailers.