High electricity & gas prices!

I’m more scared of Green than of Fossil and Nuclear combined.

“Green” kills people by pricing them out of survival.
“Covid” kills people by keeping them away from life-saving NHS treatments for other ailments that people have previously not died from much this side of WWII.

Winseer:
I’m more scared of Green than of Fossil and Nuclear combined.

“Green” kills people by pricing them out of survival.

Ironically in this case the Melons version of ‘Green’ means burning trees and nuclear when the wind isn’t blowing and the sun isn’t shining.While nuclear is more or less the most expensive and dangerous form of energy in existence.
While fossil fuel means sustaining new and increased plant life, using the CO2 resulting from burning its long dead carbonised otherwise useless ancestors, ultimately being converted back into Oxygen.So a directly beneficial feedback system.Green indeed.

Built in obsolescence! Who would have guessed :open_mouth: It’s cost £11billion to install those smart meters and they rely on 2G-3G signals which are shortly to be stopped. :open_mouth: thisismoney.co.uk/money/bil … rticle-top

Bristol Energy owner is latest UK supplier to go bust.

The energy regulator, Ofgem, will appoint a new supplier to take on the 176,000 households affected by the collapse of its parent company, Together Energy, which is part-owned by Warrington Borough Council.
Together’s collapse makes it the 27th energy supplier to go bust since gas market prices began a steep ascent.

The fate of another 1.7m Bulb Energy accounts is yet to be decided by a special administrator, which was appointed to handle the large-scale collapse.

Gillian Cooper, the head of energy for Citizens Advice, said: “As well as causing considerable disruption and confusion for customers, today’s announcement will add to the £2.6bn bill consumers are already facing due to these failures.”

OwenMoney:

The energy regulator, Ofgem, will appoint a new supplier to take on the 176,000 households affected by the collapse of its parent company, Together Energy, which is part-owned by Warrington Borough Council.
Together’s collapse makes it the 27th energy supplier to go bust since gas market prices began a steep ascent.

The fate of another 1.7m Bulb Energy accounts is yet to be decided by a special administrator, which was appointed to handle the large-scale collapse.

Gillian Cooper, the head of energy for Citizens Advice, said: “As well as causing considerable disruption and confusion for customers, today’s announcement will add to the £2.6bn bill consumers are already facing due to these failures.”

Good grief another! That’s ridiculous, It’s a debacle from top to bottom. Did I read VAT may be suspended on energy or was I dreaming?

You were dreaming lanc baby. It was promised by the Leave campaign but heyho another lie.

Warrington council are going to come unstuck with their investments. They have borrowed huge sums from the Gov pot without sufficient oversight it seems.
theguardian.com/society/202 … t-strategy

As above

“Statement by Michael Gove, Boris Johnson and Gisela Stuart for The Sun - Vote Leave to cut VAT on fuel
… The poorest households spend three times more of their income on household energy bills than the richest households spend. As long as we are in the EU, we are not allowed to cut this tax.
When we Vote Leave, we will be able to scrap this unfair and damaging tax.”
voteleavetakecontrol.org/sta … _fuel.html

“A Labour motion seeking to force a cut in VAT on energy bills amid concerns over a looming cost-of-living crisis has been defeated in the Commons by Tory MPs.
MPs voted by 319 to 229 — a majority of 90 — against the proposal, with Anne Marie Morris the only Conservative MP to rebel and support the measure.”
independent.co.uk/news/uk/p … 91067.html

And of course humps and dips arent smoothed out much here: Centrica closed the Rough gas storage facility. We now have about 2% of annual needs covered. Other countries have vastly more. "The (sainted) Free Market" turns no profit from strategic reserves, and a Tory Gov (recent ones anyway) wont do owt.
newstatesman.com/chart-of-t … vulnerable

OwenMoney:

The truth is the ‘steep ascent’ so far has meant around 3p per kwh to 4p per kwh for gas.
But it’s 16p to over 20p per kwh for electric.
It’s clear what they are worried about and it’s got nothing to do with the less than 1p per kwh on gas.
It’s got everything to do with what happens when the government tries to equalise gas prices with electric to force the change to all electric with resulting defaults on bill payments.
Maybe the Citizens Advice Bureau should be calling for our withdrawal from the Paris Accords which is what’s driving this debacle.
The truth is we’re sitting on a sea of gas and coal gas which they want to export to ‘developing countries’ while tying us into a nuclear fuelled all electric captive market at over 20p per kwh.

I see Halford’s have now thrown their hat into the electric car ring and have gone into the EV home charger installation business & energy supply. halfords.com/motoring/advic … rging.html

lancpudn:
I see Halford’s have now thrown their hat into the electric car ring and have gone into the EV home charger installation business & energy supply. halfords.com/motoring/advic … rging.html

I’m going there tomorrow I’ll let you know how long the queue of eager customers, waiting to sign up for an installation survey, is.
My guess is no longer than the queue of customers ordering a new EV meaning no work for me so far this year and I doubt much before my retirement.
People aren’t naive enough to want to bet the farm on being able to afford 40p per kwh + road fuel tax + 20% VAT + new car repayments.
Meanwhile rusty 20 year old V8 Land Rover Discoveries even without an MOT are on sale in the used ads for £5k + , unfortunately.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

I’m going there tomorrow I’ll let you know how long the queue of eager customers, waiting to sign up for an installation survey, is.
My guess is no longer than the queue of customers ordering a new EV meaning no work for me so far this year and I doubt much before my retirement.
People aren’t naive enough to want to bet the farm on being able to afford 40p per kwh + road fuel tax + 20% VAT + new car repayments.
Meanwhile rusty 20 year old V8 Land Rover Discoveries even without an MOT are on sale in the used ads for £5k + , unfortunately.

LOL Who’s pee’d in your cornflakes? I’ve already had a shufty through their prices & quotes and you’re right about not being a long queue to buy their EV stuff, It’s expensive.

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

LOL Who’s pee’d in your cornflakes? I’ve already had a shufty through their prices & quotes and you’re right about not being a long queue to buy their EV stuff, It’s expensive.

There’s nothing cheap about EV’s especially when the fuel tax breaks hit the end of the line and get added to the 40p per kwh, in addition to increasing battery costs.
While those with the cash to spend still expect value for money and that means 6 + cylinders ICE not a hoover under the bonnet.
carscoops.com/2022/01/bmw-is … n-engines/

Looks like we’re all at sea with floating windfarms! The government announced the other day an investment of £32million in floating offshore wind projects to cut natural gas dependency. They’ll be able to recommission the drilling platform graveyards languishing in Scotland waters. The UK already have seven out of ten of the biggest windfarms on the planet. electrek.co/2022/01/25/british- … ependency/

lancpudn:
Looks like we’re all at sea with floating windfarms! The government announced the other day an investment of £32million in floating offshore wind projects to cut natural gas dependency. They’ll be able to recommission the drilling platform graveyards languishing in Scotland waters. The UK already have seven out of ten of the biggest windfarms on the planet. electrek.co/2022/01/25/british- … ependency/

Obviously not bright enough to realise that we’ve had a virtual 6 month run of constant high pressure meaning little if any wind stretching from the Azores.
It’s just a bs cover story to divert from this nuke and biomass fuelled nightmare at 26p per KWh.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … bills.html

Whatever Boris’ agenda is it obviously has nothing to with leaving it in the ground to save the planet from non existent global warming.
Or that we are running out of our own gas.

Winseer:
(Our cat knocked a cooker knob around one night, and I came down in the morning to find a new and very expensive way to heat the kitchen, with a red-hot ring, and some smoke too, from a number of nearby objects that had been singed…) Electic used that night was around £27, after which Bulb jacked up by DD from the already high £156 to £219 per month…

An electric hob ring would only account for about a fiver of that even if left full on for 12 hours! What on earth are you growing to use 27 quid’s worth in a single night?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Winseer:
(Our cat knocked a cooker knob around one night, and I came down in the morning to find a new and very expensive way to heat the kitchen, with a red-hot ring, and some smoke too, from a number of nearby objects that had been singed…) Electic used that night was around £27, after which Bulb jacked up by DD from the already high £156 to £219 per month…

An electric hob ring would only account for about a fiver of that even if left full on for 12 hours! What on earth are you growing to use 27 quid’s worth in a single night?

Are “levers” allowed on electrical gear?
Isnt it all "knobs" so sleeves wont catch, and cats (those without opposable thumbs) can`t operate them?

Maybe the moggie has a cat-nip farm in the attic?

Roymondo:
An electric hob ring would only account for about a fiver

24 or 36 kWh x 20p per kWh.
I’ve often used the gas hob to warm up the kitchen when the heating is off at less than … …4p per kWh.
Anyone using an electric cooker or kettle must have money to burn.

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Winseer:

Isnt it all "knobs" so sleeves wont catch, and cats (those without opposable thumbs) can`t operate them?

His account of the whole episode (and consequences thereof) has the distinct odour of bovine excrement and/or RCD Jackanory:

1. To use £27 in a single night would mean drawing a continuous 55 Amps for a full 10 hours - that’s way more than the vast majority of domestic cooker circuits could supply (normally a 32A fuse or MCB). Maybe the cat spent the night in the shower?

2. How did Bulb know about this one off “blip”? They ask for monthly meter reads (although you can submit them more frequently if you wish to). The only way they’d get wind of it would be if he had a smart meter set to provide daily (or hourly) readings. I’m sure that a card-carrying member of the tinfoil hat wearing paranoid lorry drivers’ club he wouldn’t have that.

3. Bulb send you a friendly email if they want to change your monthly payment, and if on checking you don’t agree with it you simply go online and change it to what you think it should be.

Roymondo:

Franglais:

Roymondo:

Winseer:

His account of the whole episode (and consequences thereof) has the distinct odour of bovine excrement and/or RCD Jackanory:

1. To use £27 in a single night would mean drawing a continuous 55 Amps for a full 10 hours - that’s way more than the vast majority of domestic cooker circuits could supply (normally a 32A fuse or MCB). Maybe the cat spent the night in the shower?

2. How did Bulb know about this one off “blip”? They ask for monthly meter reads (although you can submit them more frequently if you wish to). The only way they’d get wind of it would be if he had a smart meter set to provide daily (or hourly) readings. I’m sure that a card-carrying member of the tinfoil hat wearing paranoid lorry drivers’ club he wouldn’t have that.

3. Bulb send you a friendly email if they want to change your monthly payment, and if on checking you don’t agree with it you simply go online and change it to what you think it should be.

£27 would be around 135 kWh at 20p per kWh.
Around 11 KW per hour across a 12 hour period.
An electric oven is around 5kw and hob could take another 8-10kw all burners combined.Possibly 3kw just for one ring.
An electric cooker doesn’t run on standard fittings it needs an upgraded supply.
It’s all still here in this kitchen from when we threw it’s electric oven and hob in the skip, just after moving in, to replace it with gas.
Even an electric fan heater costs 40p per hour.I doubt that he’s just referring to the cooker over the period.
But electric cooking is cheaper to go out and get fish and chips and a pint for a fiver at Weatherspoons and turn off the heating too