High electricity & gas prices!

Carryfast:

Roymondo:

Carryfast:
Bearing in mind it takes around 15-20 kWh to run the average domestic hot water and heating boiler.

Yet another meaningless quote from someone who demonstrably has no grasp on what the numbers actually mean.

15-20 kWh to run the boiler for how long? A day? A week? A month? An hour? 5 minutes?

It’s just as useful as saying it takes a gallon of petrol to run the average car.

A gallon of petrol will get an average car around 30 miles up the road.
My gas usage last month was well over 1,500 kWh at 10p per kWh + VAT including the government’s 5p price cap discount which will be removed in April.
That’s only using the heating for less than 8 radiators in an average semi-detached house for 4 hours per day max and hot water and cooking use for one person.

Irrelevant arm-waving. You specifically claimed that it takes 15-20kWh to run a DHW & Heating boiler. Unless you state a time period that statement is meaningless - i.e. without meaning. Do you mean that it takes 15-20kWh to run a boiler for a day, a week, an hour, or some other time period?

Roymondo:

Harry Monk:

Roymondo:
15-20 kWh to run the boiler for how long? A day? A week? A month? An hour? 5 minutes?

15-20 kWh means 15-20 kilowatts per hour, that’s what the “h” stands for.

It means nothing of the sort. To get the kilowatt-hour (kWh) figure you multiply the kilowatts drawn by the time over which it is drawn. Draw 1kW for 15 hours and that’s 15kWh. Draw 15 kW for one hour and that’s also 15 kWh. Draw 150kW for 6 minutes and that’s also 15 kWh.

So running a 15kw boiler for 1 hour = 15kwh just as Harry and my gas bill says.

Roymondo:

Harry Monk:

Roymondo:

15-20 kWh means 15-20 kilowatts per hour, that’s what the “h” stands for.

It means nothing of the sort. To get the kilowatt-hour (kWh) figure you multiply the kilowatts drawn by the time over which it is drawn. Draw 1kW for 15 hours and that’s 15kWh. Draw 15 kW for one hour and that’s also 15 kWh. Draw 150kW for 6 minutes and that’s also 15 kWh.

If an appliance is rated at 15 kWh then that means it will use 15 kW in one hour.

Harry Monk:
If an appliance is rated at 15 kWh then that means it will use 15 kW in one hour.

Absolutely not. First off you cannot “rate an appliance at 15kWh” - it makes no sense at all. You could rate it at 15 kW, but not 15 kWh.
Secondly, you cannot “use 15 kW in one hour” - again it’s a complete nonsense.

An appliance rated at 15 kW draws 15 kW whether you run it for 10 seconds, 10 hours, 10 days or 10 years.

Roymondo:

Harry Monk:

Absolutely not. First off you cannot “rate an appliance at 15kWh” - it makes no sense at all. You could rate it at 15 kW, but not 15 kWh.
Secondly, you cannot “use 15 kW in one hour” - again it’s a complete nonsense.

An appliance rated at 15 kW draws 15 kW whether you run it for 10 seconds, 10 hours, 10 days or 10 years.

Energy costs and pricing are based on kWh.
It’s really not difficult to then extrapolate that an appliance which consumes 15kw of energy to run will consume and cost 15kwh for an hour of use.

Carryfast:

Buckstones:

Carryfast:
My gas usage last month was well over 1,500 kWh at 10p per kWh + VAT including the government’s 5p price cap discount which will be removed in April.
That’s only using the heating for less than 8 radiators in an average semi-detached house for 4 hours per day max and hot water and cooking use for one person.

1500 KWh over a 30 day month is 50 KWh per day. But you state that heating typically is 15-20 KWh
More detailed explanation would be helpful

4 hours x 15kwh x 30 = around 1,800 kWh.
Just like my bill says it is.

Roymondo, it’s time to admit defeat on this one to carryfast.
1,800 kwh is what I also used in December (elec + gas)

I’ve gone back to experimenting with the 1-2 kw electric fan heater as and where required.
My conclusion so far seems to be that I only need to use the gas central heating if it’s really cold temperatures in which only single individual room heating and the nature of an electric fan heater just won’t cut it.Having said that nor does only 4 hours per day max use of the central heating in those conditions.
But with these temperatures individual room heating as required looks to be the more viable option.
There also seems to be a big take up in the idea of fitting truck/boat/motor home diesel heaters for domestic use.
I think that the 50p per kWh electric and 15p per kWh gas tarrifs after April all + VAT and standing charge + VAT will be a game changer in looking at all the options for going ‘off grid’ , for electric at least.
Diesel generator running on red diesel and electric fan heater/s seems as good as any in that regard.No doubt the government will close that option as part of the climate scam.

Gas price is now down to LOWER than it was BEFORE the start of 2022, thus exposing the complete cartel the market has become retail wise.

I wonder if Gas will continue downwards to even lower still, back to levels it got down to during the lockdown?

2020 Toilet Roll and Oil.jpg

The Government now owns these Retail energy billers - and people are STILL going to vote “Mainstream Parties” at the next election, even if they are dead by that point, just like the American brand of “Democratic Voting” has become… :frowning: :angry:

Carryfast:
I’ve gone back to experimenting with the 1-2 kw electric fan heater as and where required…

Why not try this instead?
youtu.be/KyiUpFjwtlU

Edit. Sorry I posted that just based on your first para. Seems like you’ve got the same idea.

Winseer:
Gas price is now down to LOWER than it was BEFORE the start of 2022, thus exposing the complete cartel the market has become retail wise.
Charts

I wonder if Gas will continue downwards to even lower still, back to levels it got down to during the lockdown?

The Government now owns these Retail energy billers - and people are STILL going to vote “Mainstream Parties” at the next election, even if they are dead by that point, just like the American brand of “Democratic Voting” has become… :frowning: :angry:

But gas is directly in the sights and firing line of the climate scammers.The price of gas will increasingly be based on that using artificial punitive pricing than the price it is actually worth.
Until it is put beyond use in around 2035 with the banning of gas appliances.
The end game is an all electric captive market at £1 per kWh.Having sold a gullible public the idea that CO2 is a toxic gas which cooked Venus to pave the way for this nuke, biomass and solar panel fuelled utopia.

Climate Scammers = Faux Prophet https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ve8tYdNltGg
Deep State = Antichrist.
Media and Infrastructure = Babylon, or “Polite Civilization” if you will.
To undestand Babylon for what it was, and how it eventually fell - is to understand how our modern media and infrastructure will collapse in the same cataclysmic way: Not from “Too high energy bills” - which (for now) only affects small to medium businesses…

What happens if this happens anytime soon?

It won’t help the Elites much if their well-planned “Stuff only affordable to them” is actually not available to them as well, huh?

What happens to “Experts” who think they know stuff - once their precious Iphone connection to the Bank of Bull$ hit that is the world’s establishment - breaks down, and fails altogether?

People will have to know how to build a generator out of scrap, repair their cars without a powered workshop, and get to work avoiding the green nazis trying to blame you for their lack-of ascent to power.

Sobering , £150 worth of gas / elec in 2 weeks , only me & mrs who are both out to work all day , hate to think what it must be for a family

Yeah,mines about £300 per month. :cry:

dozy:
Sobering , £150 worth of gas / elec in 2 weeks , only me & mrs who are both out to work all day , hate to think what it must be for a family

My gas and elec total for Dec was £288.
50% increase on that from April.

I’ve just checked on my account with British Gas to make sure I’m right…

DD for gas £34.24

DD for elec £26.34

I’m a £132.00 in credit. Never changed tariff or supplier in decades. I presume the gvt 400 quid thing has kicked in as I’m paying a bit more but not much than last year. I’ve no idea how bills get to be so big. I’m retired so spend a lot of time at home. Yes I’m away for 5 months in summer, so that wi affect it, but that’s when the heating is off anyway and less elec used for lighting .

albion:

DD for gas £34.24

DD for elec £26.34

I’m a £132.00 in credit. Never changed tariff or supplier in decades. I presume the gvt 400 quid thing has kicked in as I’m paying a bit more but not much than last year. I’ve no idea how bills get to be so big. I’m retired so spend a lot of time at home. Yes I’m away for 5 months in summer, so that wi affect it, but that’s when the heating is off anyway and less elec used for lighting .

Do you ever take a reading? Or have a smart meter?

albion:

DD for gas £34.24

DD for elec £26.34

That would obviously equate to less than £1 per day for electric and just over £1 per day for gas if it’s for a month’s usage ?.
Bearing in mind a gas boiler will use more than £1 worth of gas per hour closer to £2 per hour.

stu675:

albion:

DD for gas £34.24

DD for elec £26.34

Do you ever take a reading? Or have a smart meter?

I take a reading once a month. Mates a heating g/ boiler man an dead against smart meters

Carryfast:

albion:

DD for gas £34.24

DD for elec £26.34

That would obviously equate to less than £1 per day for electric and just over £1 per day for gas if it’s for a month’s usage ?.
Bearing in mind a gas boiler will use more than £1 worth of gas per hour closer to £2 per hour.

Yes that’s per month. I always have been frugal with energy, but that just means being sensible. Not leaving lights on and putting a jumper on.

Still no word from “Sir” Keir Starmer in what he is going to do to get the now-nationalized energy retailers to charge a price actually related to the price they are paying wholesale for their gas in particular…

The price rose at one point to nearly 800 per unit last Easter, but has since given back all those gains, back down to the price (150) it was in late 2021 before the invasion of ukraine we get told is responsible for us paying through the nose - ongoingly, it seems…
That’s a fall of over 80% from the spike it made a year ago, just after the invasion… Yet all we get told of late is that “Prices are frozen at the very top of the market for now”.
The price to generate electricity from gas-fired power stations - also ties into this, and continues to rise.
Another hefty rise coming from April.
No more “government aid” to Brits from April neither.
Plenty of more chunks of £5billion and numerous Challenger Tanks for Ukraine though…

It would seem that the retail price is being upheld for another reason entirely then:

(1) To deliberately impoverish voters
(2) To kill off entirely - poorer voters
(3) To promote growth of “damp, mould, and fungus” which will create new epicenters of disease outbreak and spread
(4) To wean us off Fossil Fuels, and sell our souls into the worship of Europa and Gaia the “Names of Blasphemy” if ever there were such…
(5) To precipitate WWIII in where Ukraine is the only country left that DIDN’T get nuked.
(6) To prevent us from being strong enough to rise up and overthrow the tyranny responsible for (1) to (5)

Come December 2024 - there won’t be enough people left to vote in a labour majority, let alone vote Labour by choice

Isn’t it time we called the whole LOT of them at “Worstmonster” Liars, Cheats, Spivs, and Corrupt to the core - and vote them ALL out, before we’re obliged to rise up in a full revolution because we couldn’t be arsed to act sooner, whilst we could still do it peacefully? :frowning: