High electricity & gas prices!

Winseer:
100% efficiancy would be “once you start it, you’ll never have to put anything further into the system to keep it running again”.

That engineer’s dream of “Perpetual Motion” that, is just that - a pipe dream.

A power source for the future, would be a non-renewable but clean and limitless supply of “once it’s gone - it’s gone”.

On this planet, SEAWATER would be the thing there.

Seawater is where we get our drinking water supply in the form of rain.
It also doesn’t burn that well unless it’s electrolyzed into its component parts of hydrogen and oxygen on the basis of a lot more energy in to do it than out.
Burning hydrogen also creates loads of water vapour which is a proper greenhouse gas unlike CO2.
We’ve already got your criteria in the form of clean enough, lesser of all evils, fossil fuel.
Although seawater could provide limitless energy by somehow utilising massive underwater pressure to compress air.

French PM Borne on Thursday also confirmed that the
bouclier tarifaire (price shield) will remain in pace until the end of 2022 - this freezes the price of household gas and limits rises in electricity bills for homes to four percent.

That’s nice isn’t it.

Franglais:
I don`t like being controversial, but have you all considered heat pumps?

Compared with merely using electricity to heat a wire, they are up to 300% efficient*. They are not always a simple switch into existing systems, but can be worth the capital investment.

If 100% efficiency is from heating an element, a heat pump can “shift” up to 3 times as much energy.
(like to see this done in imperial measures too!)

ASHP ■■? We have one but not by choice !! The only good thing about them is you do not have to keep cleaning them out and chop kindlers to start a good old coal fire like we had before. Running costs are astronomical and dread to think what they will be come the winter months ahead …

raymundo:

Franglais:

Compared with merely using electricity to heat a wire, they are up to 300% efficient*. They are not always a simple switch into existing systems, but can be worth the capital investment.

If 100% efficiency is from heating an element, a heat pump can “shift” up to 3 times as much energy.

ASHP ■■? We have one but not by choice !! The only good thing about them is you do not have to keep cleaning them out and chop kindlers to start a good old coal fire like we had before. Running costs are astronomical and dread to think what they will be come the winter months ahead …

I’m not surprised.They work on the principle of more energy out than put in.
The truth is it’s a smoke and mirrors scam to sell all electric heating at 30p per KWH.
Boris has stated that he intends to increase the price of gas to make electric look more attractive.
So he can flog off our gas to the Germans because they won’t go nuclear at any price and the French who are now too scared to switch on their own power stations.The rest goes to developing countries under the Paris Accord stitch up.

raymundo:

Franglais:

Ground source seem a better bet for running costs, but installation costs are notably higher. And a new build system as opposed to using an existing radiator system designed for a different heat system with higher water temp will look different.
As energy prices increase, the balance between installation and running costs will change.

I`m not jumping yet, but have been looking.

Ofgem raises energy price cap to £3,549 from 01 10 2022.

In France, my payments have gone down for the next 12 month period.

Solar panels on the roof are starting to look more and more attractive. With bills likely to climb even higher next year the payback period comes down to only a couple of years.

And I have a nice, big unobstructed South facing roof on the entire house too :slight_smile:

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
Solar panels on the roof are starting to look more and more attractive. With bills likely to climb even higher next year the payback period comes down to only a couple of years.

And I have a nice, big unobstructed South facing roof on the entire house too :slight_smile:

So do I and I’m on the south coast

I’ve had solar panels since 2015, so I get the FIT payments of 14p that are no longer available. I think you can get about 7p now, so it’s all about using the electricity that you generate, which is hard to do without an expensive battery (or battery car).

Blimey! Are we really going to be looking at £1/kWh by the new year :open_mouth: I ran across this chaps YT video who has been doing some research on the future trading market for electricity. youtube.com/watch?v=H26Ujv72q84&t=106s

Who else already has a fixed rate contract?
My last fixed rate contract obviously ended with the supplier going bust, how worried should I be about Sainsbury’s/E.On going bust? Or otherwise somehow them getting out of my contract before October 2023?

lancpudn:
Blimey! Are we really going to be looking at £1/kWh by the new year :open_mouth: I ran across this chaps YT video who has been doing some research on the future trading market for electricity. youtube.com/watch?v=H26Ujv72q84&t=106s

I was reading in the Telegraph (no point adding a link) the cost of electricity produced by gas was £480 per MWh, but from renewables it was £48 per MWh. I have full confidence the govt will sort out some additional supplies of electricity that these current projections shouldn’t come to pass…[emoji849][emoji1696]

stu675:
I have full confidence the govt will sort out some additional supplies of electricity

Of course they will.

I`m sure Johnson will get inside the hamster wheel himself to turn the generators.

stu675:
Who else already has a fixed rate contract?
My last fixed rate contract obviously ended with the supplier going bust, how worried should I be about Sainsbury’s/E.On going bust? Or otherwise somehow them getting out of my contract before October 2023?

Eon won’t go bust as it’s A German firm

I signed up to a 12 month fixed price deal in April, so although I am currently paying more than most I am at least covered through the Winter months.

The easiest way around the costs of fuel wether gas,oil or electricity is to become an MP and claim the costs back on expenses,without limit.
A cunning plan Baldrick…and it’s true.

I note that National Grid are talking about introducing a rebate scheme this Winter for customers who don’t use lots of electricity during the 5pm-8pm peak.

There is talk of this rebate being as much as a couple of quid per kWh for every unit saved - for some customers this could mean almost free electricity some days.

Unfortunately it will rather depend on folk having smart meters, so the tinfoil hat brigade won’t be able to benefit from it.

OwenMoney:
The easiest way around the costs of fuel wether gas,oil or electricity is to become an MP and claim the costs back on expenses,without limit.
A cunning plan Baldrick…and it’s true.

But only for your second home…

Roymondo:
I note that National Grid are talking about introducing a rebate scheme this Winter for customers who don’t use lots of electricity during the 5pm-8pm peak.

There is talk of this rebate being as much as a couple of quid per kWh for every unit saved - for some customers this could mean almost free electricity some days.

Unfortunately it will rather depend on folk having smart meters, so the tinfoil hat brigade won’t be able to benefit from it.

You mean the same smart meters that can be remotely switched to pre payment only and arbitrarily switched off.The tin foil hat is well justified in this case.
2 quid per kWh would definitely pay to use a generator and then claim the ‘rebate’.

Roymondo:
I signed up to a 12 month fixed price deal in April, so although I am currently paying more than most I am at least covered through the Winter months.

I did a 2 year fixed last September with 8 legged energy so good for another 13 months :grimacing: