High electricity & gas prices!

Carryfast:
Define ‘low user’ at around £1.70 per hour + standing charge at best.
As I said 4 hours per day is as low as it gets and totally useless through the winter months.Let alone a proper cold winter.
Call it more than £10 per day x 7 months in the real world.
Might as well turn off the central heating and just carry a 2kwh fan heater around the house as required.Thats less than 60p per hour by comparison and exactly what I’m using now for heating.Living standards are going back to the stone age.

Are you assuming that the boiler runs flat-out all the time that the heating is On?

Instead of general arm-waving with figures plucked from the air and fictitious scenarios with Winter heating requirements lasting 7 months of the year and calling it “real world”, have you tried running your own actual household consumption figures (from meter readings 12 months apart) through the tariff calculations, then dividing it by 12 to get realistic monthly costs?

I know that my gas consumption is firmly on the high side of average due to old house (with someone at home all day every day), mediocre insulation and an ancient boiler/heating system with no controls other than a timer and TRVs, but I still come up with a figure under £190 a month for gas & electricity (including Standing Charges and VAT). £148 for a more modern, better insulated house with a modern system appears realistic enough to me.

Odd that the UK Gas chart - is almost the same shape exactly as the Russian Ruble Chart…

SO… If Gas prices are back down again, like the Ruble

Why is that price drop NOT being passed onto UK consumers?

Also, where is the justification for gas prices to rise another 50-70% this autumn■■?
The implication is that prices will be higher still than the spike around March 7th…

If the government “know something we don’t” - it can only be their intention to donk away all of the UK’s money on the NHS that most Brits no longer have access to, or donk it away on a foreign war no Brits are fighting in, or donk it away supporting third worlders we’ll never meet…

In all three cases, we have no IDEA where that money is really going…

It is easy for the Left to argue “Into Tory Crony Pockets” - which may well be true… But where will THEY squirrel away all this looted cash?

I’ve already been convinced not to support this government at the next election by this point.

(1) No help for energy bill payers - MOST of us.
(2) Too much help for crooks running businesses who took the furlough grants, laid off their staff anyway, and pocketed the cash…
(3) Rising inflation because of (1) and (2) rather than “Brexit”.
(4) Vaccines that cost a fortune, arguably don’t work, and thanks to bungling NHS “injection staff” - are somewhat boosting the background “natural causes death” rates, let’s say…
If you can’t afford to go private right now, there’s a good chance you’ll die from your next otherwise “curable” ailment whilst awaiting treatment on the NHS for it, including Oncology of course.

(5) Lies, Lies, and Fake Statistics. (FFS Officials cannot even tell the truth via STATISTICS any more these days!)

Winseer:

Because the price is still about twice what it was even in Mid-Feb, let alone last Autumn when the silliness started, and WAY above the artificial restriction imposed by the UK energy price cap. Even Carryfast understands that.

Roymondo:

Winseer:

Because the price is still about twice what it was even in Mid-Feb, let alone last Autumn when the silliness started, and WAY above the artificial restriction imposed by the UK energy price cap. Even Carryfast understands that.

We’re being charged - as if the price were still at the very peak that got hit around March 7th… The only way the energy companies could have got into trouble with prices so temporarily spiking that high - was if they panic bought the futures contract at that high price, and then got margin called for a packet on the way back down again…
I’m even hearing the talking heads mention “Contracts for Difference” with regards to bulk energy supplies to distrbuters - now.

The chumps have played the markets wrong, and expect us end-users to stump up the cash to pay for their gambling losses…
Where’s the investigation into Fraud here?

What happens if interest rates (meanwhile) also spike above 2% base rates, only for people on fixed rate deals to be told “Sorry bud, the bank has lost a fortune on the markets with rates going above 2%, and we need to forclose on your mortgage, despite the fact you’re not in arrears…”? The next scandal?

…The triple lock, meant to protect pensioners against this crap - is also dropped as well… No guarantee is worth a light - if it isn’t upheld when the consumer absolutely needs it to be!

“House insurer goes bust the day after your house burned down”…

"Car who hit YOU - sues YOU because YOUR insurer refused to contact their insurer to discuss standard crap like “causality” which makes insurances so expensive in the first place…
The list and examples - are becoming legion by this point…

Winseer:
We’re being charged - as if the price were still at the very peak that got hit around March 7th… The only way the energy companies could have got into trouble with prices so temporarily spiking that high - was if they panic bought the futures contract at that high price, and then got margin called for a packet on the way back down again…
I’m even hearing the talking heads mention “Contracts for Difference” with regards to bulk energy supplies to distrbuters - now.

The chumps have played the markets wrong, and expect us end-users to stump up the cash to pay for their gambling losses…

What the absolute ■■■■ does the spike you illustrate have to do with energy companies getting into trouble? ALL the company failures had already happened before the first date shown on that graph. Every single man-jack one of them had already been and gone way, way before the end of January, due to prices spiralling not early this year but way back in the year(s) before that.

I suggest you restrain yourself to making up stories about your own energy supplier instead - they were at least almost believable (for a few seconds, at least).

Roymondo:

Winseer:

What the absolute [zb] does the spike you illustrate have to do with energy companies getting into trouble? ALL the company failures had already happened before the first date shown on that graph. Every single man-jack one of them had already been and gone way, way before the end of January, due to prices spiralling not early this year but way back in the year(s) before that.

I suggest you restrain yourself to making up stories about your own energy supplier instead - they were at least almost believable (for a few seconds, at least).

You’re missing the points here:

First, we get told that prices are ramping up and THEN it happens on the market…
THEN we get told that “It’s going to happen again in the autumn”… So what event in the future do you think is going to future-justify such a price hike THEN?

Dunno what you’re on about with making stuff up though… Is that what we’ve come to in our “post truth” age, that “Truth is fiction” when it becomes impossible to prove anything against the wealthy elites, which of course - puts them above every law for the rest of us on this entire planet… You don’t have to be a useful idiot to any wealthy elites by subscribing to any “truth” you get told by them… We literally have become a people ruled by lies IF those on your side of the argument outnumber those on my side, if you will…

“Price Conditioning” we used to call it, when you get told something which is “not true today”, but later will be.

Those in on it, would congratulate the accuracy of such “prophecies”, coming from the rich and powerful, but coming from us ordinary folk? - One gets shut down as a conspiracy theorist, banned from accounts, grassed up on a false accusation, and busted out of unionized jobs, and just general nastiness - which suggests a nerve has been hit, rather than their material is “crap”.

I bet all those who hate and despite people like me out there - have not done a damned thing to help people in real life, just virtue signal all the time, and “persecute the unbeliever” when people like me just don’t sign up to the lies and bull all the time that is being force-fed us…

Our establishment - are doing their level best to make as many of us skint as possible. High energy prices is just one facet of it.

If they have their own way - we’ll be wealthy elites OR serfs at the end of it. It’s not a 50/50 proposition, more like 0.0001% Elites to 99.9999% serfs alas…
And we, the public - are letting all this bloody well happen?!■■!

Roymondo:

Carryfast:
As I said 4 hours per day is as low as it gets and totally useless through the winter months.Let alone a proper cold winter.
Might as well turn off the central heating and just carry a 2kwh fan heater around the house as required.Thats less than 60p per hour by comparison and exactly what I’m using now for heating.Living standards are going back to the stone age.

Are you assuming that the boiler runs flat-out all the time that the heating is On?

Instead of general arm-waving with figures plucked from the air and fictitious scenarios with Winter heating requirements lasting 7 months of the year and calling it “real world”, have you tried running your own actual household consumption figures (from meter readings 12 months apart) through the tariff calculations, then dividing it by 12 to get realistic monthly costs?

I know that my gas consumption is firmly on the high side of average due to old house (with someone at home all day every day), mediocre insulation and an ancient boiler/heating system with no controls other than a timer and TRVs, but I still come up with a figure under £190 a month for gas & electricity (including Standing Charges and VAT). £148 for a more modern, better insulated house with a modern system appears realistic enough to me.

You do know that the price of gas has more or less doubled as of 1st April.
Good luck with going by your pre April figures.
While a gas boiler is either on or its off.If it’s on then it’s running at around £2 per hour at these prices it doesn’t run with a variable output.
Bozo said that he would increase the price of gas to make electric more attractive.Thats exactly what he’s done the obvious plan is to remove the premise of a uniform house temperature.The obvious intention is to economically ration energy to only allow the heating of whichever room is occupied not the whole house.As I said that’s a game changer regarding 20kw central heating boiler v 2kw fan heater.

Winseer:

Roymondo:

Winseer:

What the absolute [zb] does the spike you illustrate have to do with energy companies getting into trouble? ALL the company failures had already happened before the first date shown on that graph. Every single man-jack one of them had already been and gone way, way before the end of January, due to prices spiralling not early this year but way back in the year(s) before that.

You’re missing the points here:

First, we get told that prices are ramping up and THEN it happens on the market…
THEN we get told that “It’s going to happen again in the autumn”… So what event in the future do you think is going to future-justify such a price hike THEN?

Dunno what you’re on about with making stuff up though… Is that what we’ve come to in our “post truth” age, that “Truth is fiction” when it becomes impossible to prove anything against the wealthy elites, which of course - puts them above every law for the rest of us on this entire planet… You don’t have to be a useful idiot to any wealthy elites by subscribing to any “truth” you get told by them… We literally have become a people ruled by lies IF those on your side of the argument outnumber those on my side, if you will…

“Price Conditioning” we used to call it, when you get told something which is “not true today”, but later will be.

Those in on it, would congratulate the accuracy of such “prophecies”, coming from the rich and powerful, but coming from us ordinary folk? - One gets shut down as a conspiracy theorist, banned from accounts, grassed up on a false accusation, and busted out of unionized jobs, and just general nastiness - which suggests a nerve has been hit, rather than their material is “crap”.

I bet all those who hate and despite people like me out there - have not done a damned thing to help people in real life, just virtue signal all the time, and “persecute the unbeliever” when people like me just don’t sign up to the lies and bull all the time that is being force-fed us…

Our establishment - are doing their level best to make as many of us skint as possible. High energy prices is just one facet of it.

If they have their own way - we’ll be wealthy elites OR serfs at the end of it. It’s not a 50/50 proposition, more like 0.0001% Elites to 99.9999% serfs alas…
And we, the public - are letting all this bloody well happen?!■■!

The government has made no secret of an energy policy based on artificially ramping up the price of fossil fuel to force the change to all nuclear electric.Without that the choice between gas/petrol v electric at 30p per kWh is a no brainer.
All that so that our gas and oil resources can be exported to exempt developing countries under the Paris Accord.

Carryfast:
The truth is hydrogen can’t replace fossil fuel use and the scam can only mean massive and unnaffordable dependence on nuclear and biomass generated electricity.
The former has equally massive safety risks and the latter means burning living trees with the loss of all of their future photosynthesis activety instead of long dead ones.
All so that ‘someone’ can make a lot of money out of handing over our fossil fuel usage and reserves to self proclaimed ‘developing’ countries.

The thing stopping Hydrogen replacing ALL fuels, is the sheer expense of producing it when electricity is as high as it is now.

Go to a country like Egypt, where Electricity is as cheap as chips though? - There’s no desire to research “cheap energy” THERE, because Fossil Fuels are already about 80% cheaper than what we pay here, retail…

Passing an electric current through seawater - creates Hydrogen and Oxygen with the supply only limited to the amount of seawater on earth.
…And yet we get told "Producing Hydrogen is too expensive, and as for Oxygen - MILLIONS have died in the past year ALONE - because there’s been a shortage of Oxygen for some time now!

The government’s number-one priority - should be mass-building blockhouses back on every street corner like we had a century ago to power things like Trams.

Bugger the Paris Accord - we CANNOT AFFORD IT. Get us out, and massively increase the number of biomass burners, dirty-coal-with-scrubber, and of course - make peace with Putin’s Russia so we can get cheap gas back again - all whilst building for the longer term - the extra nuclear facilities we need, decades away of course - even if we start them now

If our government wants a war with Russia - then do it properly - with boots on the ground - or not at all. I say “Not at all” suits us ALL better, including the Ukrainian Public, as the war ends pretty much straight away, if Ukrainians don’t have anything to kill people with in their arsenals…

“Capitulation” - saves lives, when you know you cannot ever win.

Meanwhile, Boris has now demonstrated to us that there was never any real military threat “on Kiev” - or he wouldn’t dare have risked going there - would he?

(It’s good that ASOV clearly didn’t know Boris was going though, or they would have staged a little false-flag throwdown event, such as “Russians slay British Prime Minister in Anthrax Attack” that would take us to WWIII, pretty much their aim from the START imo…)

Winseer:
The thing stopping Hydrogen replacing ALL fuels, is the sheer expense of producing it when electricity is as high as it is now.

Go to a country like Egypt, where Electricity is as cheap as chips though? - There’s no desire to research “cheap energy” THERE, because Fossil Fuels are already about 80% cheaper than what we pay here, retail…

Passing an electric current through seawater - creates Hydrogen and Oxygen with the supply only limited to the amount of seawater on earth.
…And yet we get told "Producing Hydrogen is too expensive, and as for Oxygen - MILLIONS have died in the past year ALONE - because there’s been a shortage of Oxygen for some time now!

The government’s number-one priority - should be mass-building blockhouses back on every street corner like we had a century ago to power things like Trams.

Bugger the Paris Accord - we CANNOT AFFORD IT. Get us out, and massively increase the number of biomass burners, dirty-coal-with-scrubber

Hydrogen is just another side of the all electric nuclear dependence agenda that Bozo is signing us up to.
The oxygen depletion situation is the proof that any CO2 increases we’ve seen are deforestation related.Bearing in mind that trees convert CO2 to Oxygen.
While the ‘climate’ scammers are trying to say that trees only store CO2 which is another of their lies.
Biomass generation will only add to that problem.
When what’s needed is a pro tree pro fossil fuel anti nuclear anti biomass policy.
As for boots on the ground v Russia don’t even go there also bearing in mind we don’t need Russian gas we’ve got more than enough coal and gas and oil.

Carryfast:

Roymondo:

Carryfast:

You do know that the price of gas has more or less doubled as of 1st April.
Good luck with going by your pre April figures.
While a gas boiler is either on or its off.If it’s on then it’s running at around £2 per hour at these prices it doesn’t run with a variable output.
Bozo said that he would increase the price of gas to make electric more attractive.Thats exactly what he’s done the obvious plan is to remove the premise of a uniform house temperature.The obvious intention is to economically ration energy to only allow the heating of whichever room is occupied not the whole house.As I said that’s a game changer regarding 20kw central heating boiler v 2kw fan heater.

Predictably enough, when it is suggested that you quit the arm-waving and plucking figures from the air, you continue to do just that and quote yet another invented figure. Yes, I am aware that gas prices have gone up from 1st April, and that they will go up a lot more in October. But instead of arm-waving about how my boiler can consume gas at a high rate when “running flat out” (your words) and extrapolating that (made up) figure to apply to all hours throughout the heating season, I have used actual historical consumption figures from my own meter in my own house, and applied those consumption figures to a real tariff (I’ve just fixed until next April at 11p per kWh for gas). Unlike you, I understand that gas boilers do indeed vary their consumption according to the settings on room thermostats and TRVs, the ambient temperature, wind strength, how often doors & windows are opened etc. I know (no arm waving, I have the actual hourly consumption figures in kWh for the past several months available to me) that even at 11p per kWh my boiler (old an inefficient though it is) burns gas at between 45p and 66p per hour while switched on, except for the first 30 minutes of the heating session when it goes up to about 80p per hour while it heats up the water in the rads, pipework etc.

Quit the arm-waving and making up numbers. Use two gas meter readings 12 months apart (they are on your gas bills). Use them to calculate your annual consumption in kWh and divide by 12 to give an average monthly figure over the year. Do the same for your electricity consumption. Not hard, is it? This is exactly what the energy suppliers do.

Roymondo:

Carryfast:

Roymondo:
even at 11p per kWh my boiler (old an inefficient though it is) burns gas at between 45p and 66p per hour while switched on, except for the first 30 minutes of the heating session when it goes up to about 80p per hour while it heats up the water in the rads, pipework etc.

Quit the arm-waving and making up numbers. Use two gas meter readings 12 months apart (they are on your gas bills). Use them to calculate your annual consumption in kWh and divide by 12 to give an average monthly figure over the year. Do the same for your electricity consumption. Not hard, is it? This is exactly what the energy suppliers do.

1,163 kWh between 7 March - 1 April using the heating for no more than 4 hours per day if not less, at 3.8p per kWh, is good enough to set the alarm bells ringing at 8p per kWh let alone 11p.Good luck with your 190 quid for a year.

More arm waving. I give up.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
More arm waving. I give up.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Bearing in mind that at 11p per kWh That works out at £128 for three weeks with no more than 4 hours use of heating per day in not very cold weather.
Good luck with a winter like 1981/2.
As I said using a 2kw fan heater to heat just the room you’re in at the time is a no brainer.
The fact is by your figures it’s an almost 300% increase in fuel costs which means either using 3x less heating or paying 3x as much for the equivalent amount of heat as before.

Octopus energy seem to be having a laugh. Just got an email from them this morning saying we need to be paying a further £104/month on top of our monthly bill which has already doubled in price over the last six months for our dual fuel energy

We’re a low energy usage household & already over £200 in credit going into the Summer months.

We wont be using the gas central heating for the next 4-5 months which will put us even further in credit going into Winter. There are no high drain electrical machines on daily only the weekly wash with only a TV monitor & puter switched on during the day
The MG ZS EV only gets topped up with a charge twice a month costing no more than £10-15/month. WTF!!!

lancpudn:
Octopus energy seem to be having a laugh. Just got an email from them this morning saying we need to be paying a further £104/month on top of our monthly bill which has already doubled in price over the last six months for our dual fuel energy

We’re a low energy usage household & already over £200 in credit going into the Summer months.

We wont be using the gas central heating for the next 4-5 months which will put us even further in credit going into Winter. There are no high drain electrical machines on daily only the weekly wash with only a TV monitor & puter switched on during the day
The MG ZS EV only gets topped up with a charge twice a month costing no more than £10-15/month. WTF!!!

It soon adds up at around 28p per kWh electric + 39p per day standing charge + 5% VAT .
I’ve turned the heating off just use a 1-2 kw fan heater as, where and when required.
Gas for cooking and hot water.
Last bill only covered 24 days got through 266kwh electric and 333kwh gas.
£85 and £30 respectively.
I guess electric will be a bit less if the weather gets warmer.
But I’d doubt if anyone could make only around £100 cover one month including standing charges and VAT at these prices.Let alone including charging an EV.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

It soon adds up at around 28p per kWh electric + 39p per day standing charge + 5% VAT .
I’ve turned the heating off just use a 1-2 kw fan heater as, where and when required.
But I’d doubt if anyone could make only around £100 cover one month including standing charges and VAT at these prices.Let alone including charging an EV.

Prices will be going up again in October I was wondering if this extra £104 /month they want is to cover that or is it just more wholesale price rises!!!

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

Prices will be going up again in October I was wondering if this extra £104 /month they want is to cover that or is it just more wholesale price rises!!!

You’ll need to pin down your actual usage in terms of kWh reading at the meter to make any conclusions.
It takes some serious if not impossible economising to get below 200 kWh for electric and 500 kWh gas per month.Bearing in mind that any transfer of usage from gas to electric will be at the expense of around 4x the unit price.The sums for electric only really add up in the case of ditching gas central heating for single room electric heat of no more than 2kwh preferably 1kwh.
Also there is no way to avoid standing charges and VAT.
200 quid per month is a realistic bet possibly a lot more including EV charging at these prices but all bets are off after October.
Let alone when the now compulsory EV smart charging allows road fuel tax and 20%VAT on EV charging.

@carryfast. You’ll need to pin down your actual usage in terms of kWh reading at the meter to make any conclusions.
It takes some serious if not impossible economising to get below 200 kWh for electric and 500 kWh gas per month.Bearing in mind that any transfer of usage from gas to electric will be at the expense of around 4x the unit price.The sums for electric only really add up in the case of ditching gas central heating for single room electric heat of no more than 2kwh preferably 1kwh.
200 quid per month is a realistic bet possibly a lot more including EV charging at these prices but all bets are off after October.
Let alone when the now compulsory EV smart charging allows road fuel tax and 20%VAT on EV charging.

Yeah I’ll have to look at some numbers but since we got put onto Octopus energy after Avro energy went belly we’ve gone from paying £80/month for duel fuel to £143/month now they’re wanting £247/month WTF! we don’t use a lot of energy here. The MG only gets topped up twice a month costing between £10-15/month, It’s like going back to paying another monthly mortgage payment. :imp:

lancpudn:
@carryfast. You’ll need to pin down your actual usage in terms of kWh reading at the meter to make any conclusions.

Yeah I’ll have to look at some numbers but since we got put onto Octopus energy after Avro energy went belly we’ve gone from paying £80/month for duel fuel to £143/month now they’re wanting £247/month WTF! we don’t use a lot of energy here. The MG only gets topped up twice a month costing between £10-15/month, It’s like going back to paying another monthly mortgage payment. :imp:

You can tell Octopus that youll pay the bill by DD every month but only based on the meter reading.
That’s what I do all done by e mail submission.
They send the meter reading portal then you put in the figures then they make up the bill.
That figure sounds like a set payment based on average use across the year.If so doubt if 247 quid will even cut it unless the house is as cold as outside in the winter.