High electricity & gas prices!

Roymondo:

stu675:

OwenMoney:
A potential 4 Billion bale out of the UK Gazprom subsidiary is on the cards .
Plus the bale out of Bulb is already heading for another £1 Billion over the £ 1,2 Billion budgeted.
All to be paid for by you UK consumers
Don’t you just love free market economics .

I don’t believe it.
The UK government bales out very little. It lets all the energy companies go to the wall. Why would they bale out gazprom or bulb?

Because if Bulb went bust their customer base is so large that it would be beyond the capabilities of any of the other suppliers to take them on without themselves going pop. As none of the others would be prepared to take them on, Bulb customers then would be left with no electricity or gas supply.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The price cap is supposed to be fair to suppliers and customers. It’s the existing cheap fixed rate deals that bulb customers are on that are the problem. These would all fall away once it goes bust. If it’s just impractical for a single supplier to take them all on, just divide it up into 4 new suppliers

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:
But standing charges are a joke all + VAT so might even go all electric off-grid a 10kva generator only uses 1 litre of red per hour at half load.No surprise red diesel is now more expensive than using white from the pump and reclaiming the tax.
It’s all obviously a scam.

Yeah but still vastly cheaper than going to the robbers at the petrol station though by a country mile, We pay a set DD amount every month which will now be not enough with the price rises, With the new charges they will then send me a new monthly DD amount we need to pay, I like paying the same amount monthly over the year then I know where I stand. I’ve taken readings/pictures of the meters & sent them in. Well I tried three times but nowt’s going through because of high traffic on their site.

Do the maths call it £1 per litre = 5 kWh.That alone is worth £1.50 worth of mains electric + the standing charges for both gas and electric + VAT on the standing charges.
Can also use it to provide 3 phase EV charging.
It’s easy to see why the government wants silly red diesel prices and why it’s cheaper to use white and claim back the tax.
It’s clear who the robbers are that’s the mains electric suppliers.
Also don’t see the point in trying to circumvent the gas and electric bill by deferring payments of what you actually owe.
The Meter says how much you’ve used you have to pay for it let alone added to the standing charge.

Can anyone read the Times?
Is it true what the headline claims?

thetimes.co.uk/article/heat … -7zm2xvptt

stu675:
It’s the existing cheap fixed rate deals that bulb customers are on that are the problem. These would all fall away once it goes bust.

Bulb do not offer and never have offered fixed tariffs. They have a Pay Monthly tariff and a PAYG tariff. Both are variable.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

stu675:

The sales pitch defies the laws of physics you can’t get more heat energy out of anything than you put in.The whole climate agenda is a big scam and still the mugs buy it.

Although I’m admittedly not a heavy user of electricity and only have a maximum of 800w available from my inverter anyway, all of my electricity is free for eight months of the year via the solar panel on the boat roof. My main concern is whether coal will dramatically increase in price as so much of what we burn in the UK comes from Russia and I get through about a tonne a year.

I do also burn a lot of scavenged wood, broken pallets from work etc but a fire made with wood won’t stay in all night.

Harry Monk:
Although I’m admittedly not a heavy user of electricity and only have a maximum of 800w available from my inverter anyway, all of my electricity is free for eight months of the year via the solar panel on the boat roof. My main concern is whether coal will dramatically increase in price as so much of what we burn in the UK comes from Russia and I get through about a tonne a year.

I do also burn a lot of scavenged wood, broken pallets from work etc but a fire made with wood won’t stay in all night.

How does the price of Russian imported coal compare with Welsh Anthracite which is still available ? .
Nothing short of a gas fire burns like that stuff does.
While surely a diesel generator and all electric heat cooking and propulsion must be a reasonable call for boats possibly even homes.

stu675:

Not in reality, we had our gas combi boiler installed 2 years ago at a cost of much less than a £5000 bribe and it’s compatible with the existing radiator’s and provides hot water and heat as you need it on demand, and is very efficient. A heat pump is not only hideously more expensive (including the bribe) but our house would need all new radiator’s and a hot water tank taking up what is now scarce wardrobe space with all the major upheaval this would cause. Not only this, but all the anecdotal evidence I’ve read about heat pumps and lack of what they are supposed to produce doesn’t inspire!

bigstraight6:

stu675:

Not in reality, we had our gas combi boiler installed 2 years ago at a cost of much less than a £5000 bribe and it’s compatible with the existing radiator’s and provides hot water and heat as you need it on demand, and is very efficient. A heat pump is not only hideously more expensive (including the bribe) but our house would need all new radiator’s and a hot water tank taking up what is now scarce wardrobe space with all the major upheaval this would cause. Not only this, but all the anecdotal evidence I’ve read about heat pumps and lack of what they are supposed to produce doesn’t inspire!

Fitting larger radiators won’t make any difference to the heat output of the boiler.
It’s as stupid as saying that doubling the amount of rads means that you can fit a gas boiler with half the heat output.
The truth is half the heat output of the gas boiler and double the area of the rads means 4x less heat from the rads than before.

Carryfast:
How does the price of Russian imported coal compare with Welsh Anthracite which is still available ? .

Anthracite is no good as fuel on a boat stove, it needs to burn flat out, like in a steam boiler or locomotive, it won’t slumber, if you try to make an anthracite fire just tick over by closing down the stove vents, the fire just goes out.

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

Anthracite is no good as fuel on a boat stove, it needs to burn flat out, like in a steam boiler or locomotive, it won’t slumber, if you try to make an anthracite fire just tick over by closing down the stove vents, the fire just goes out.

We used it in the old Parkray and it would usually stay in all day and night on the low vent flap setting.It wasn’t a large vent from memory it was only around 4 inches in diameter.
Getting it started from cold if it went out was a different matter.Ideally it needed those parraffin soaked wood fire lighters and remove the grate cover from the bottom.
When it got going it got hot enough to regularly break the pyro glass strips in the door we kept a stock of spare ones to replace them as they broke.Also the gas in the coal used to cook off and build up and then suddenly ignite blowing the grate cover off and that was quite heavy.If only I had a chimney here I’d definitely go back to using anthracite in a similar solid fuel stove now.

The fuel boat stopped by this afternoon and filled me up. Red diesel has gone from £1.00 to £1.39 a litre in six weeks, coal is going to be £80 a tonne more than last year. With Russian and Ukrainian coal out of the equation a lot of it now comes from Australia apparently and the two main suppliers, Oxbow and CPL are going to be sourcing it from South America, obviously transport costs are higher.

I was paying under 60p a litre for red diesel last year and three years ago I was paying 52.9ppl.

Harry Monk:
The fuel boat stopped by this afternoon and filled me up. Red diesel has gone from £1.00 to £1.39 a litre in six weeks, coal is going to be £80 a tonne more than last year. With Russian and Ukrainian coal out of the equation a lot of it now comes from Australia apparently and the two main suppliers, Oxbow and CPL are going to be sourcing it from South America, obviously transport costs are higher.

I was paying under 60p a litre for red diesel last year and three years ago I was paying 52.9ppl.

I guess all types will be subject to 10% carbon tax like gas + the VAT on the carbon tax.
But some say it’s cheaper to buy white diesel and claim the tax back which seems about right at 58p per litre road fuel duty taken off £1.80 or possibly less pump price.That would be around £1.20 per litre.Its probably government instigated because the government knows that charging an EV with a generator running on red at £1.00 per litre would be a no brainer v 30p per kWh + for mains electric.Its a big scam.

Was on the news,the other day…about people having to warm up tins of beans with a candle.
A tearful Martin Lewis saying he no longer has the tools to help people.
I’ve got one…stop blowing all your money on sheet.

Just got my new monthly duel fuel DD amount through from Octopus energy that will cover the years usage, £148.34/month. Big change from paying last years DD of £80/month.

lancpudn:
Just got my new monthly duel fuel DD amount through from Octopus energy that will cover the years usage, £148.34/month. Big change from paying last years DD of £80/month.

What type of usage regime could possibly provide that figure at over 8p per kWh for gas and almost 30p per kWh electric and even those figures increase again in October.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

What type of usage regime could possibly provide that figure at over 8p per kWh for gas and almost 30p per kWh electric and even those figures increase again in October.

Thankfully we’re not high usage even though I have an EV. These are my new tariffs as from 1st April.

New Octopus (Flexible tariff) electricity price for my area ( different price per kWh & standing charges in other areas) 28.01p/kWh, Standing charge 41.98/day :open_mouth:

New Octopus (Flexible tariff) Gas price for my area 7.34p/kWh, Standing charge 27.22p/day. :open_mouth:

Octopus put out a PDF the other week which shows the new tariff / standing prices from every energy supplier / Account type & area of the UK, Can I find it again Can I buggery. :angry:

Found it.

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

Thankfully we’re not high usage even though I have an EV. These are my new tariffs as from 1st April.

New Octopus (Flexible tariff) electricity price for my area ( different price per kWh & standing charges in other areas) 28.01p/kWh, Standing charge 41.98/day :open_mouth:

New Octopus (Flexible tariff) Gas price for my area 7.34p/kWh, Standing charge 27.22p/day. :open_mouth:

Octopus put out a PDF the other week which shows the new tariff prices from every energy supplier / Account type & area of the UK, Can I find it again Can I buggery. :angry:

Those figures are more or less what I’ve seen quoted for my next bills.
I’ve counted my boiler meter and it’s only using 2 M3 of gas per hour at full blast which equates to around £1.70 per hour which is exceptionally good.
But I’ve still now decided that it’s cheaper to run a fan heater at 2kwh in whichever room I need it and forget the heating.
My bill is well over £100 pm at the old rates and that was only using the heating to the point where it became effectively useless at 4 hours per day max.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

An OFGEM “low” user of both gas and electricity would pay £130 per month (including VAT) using the tariff quoted by lancpudn

An OFGEM “medium” user of both gas and electricity would pay £176

So someone using a low-medium amount would indeed expect to pay around £148 per month.

ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/a … city-usage

Roymondo:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

An OFGEM “low” user of both gas and electricity would pay £130 per month (including VAT) using the tariff quoted by lancpudn

An OFGEM “medium” user of both gas and electricity would pay £176

So someone using a low-medium amount would indeed expect to pay around £148 per month.

ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/a … city-usage

Define ‘low user’ at around £1.70 per hour + standing charge at best.
As I said 4 hours per day is as low as it gets and totally useless through the winter months.Let alone a proper cold winter.
Call it more than £10 per day x 7 months in the real world.
Might as well turn off the central heating and just carry a 2kwh fan heater around the house as required.Thats less than 60p per hour by comparison and exactly what I’m using now for heating.Living standards are going back to the stone age.