hiab help

hi new to hiabing any hints,tip ,advice welcome :unamused: :unamused:

Iā€™ve moved this to the PDF so more people see it :wink:

jambo77:
hi new to hiabing any hints,tip ,advice welcome :unamused: :unamused:

ALWAYS maintain 3 points of contact when climbing the ladder up to the seat, or you will take a tumble one day and break yourself

Having just got my ticket recently, what Inselaffe is good advice.

Add to that:

Never take your eye off your immediate area when operating. (Even if that girl has the shortest skirt on youā€™ve ever seen. :smiley: )
Always watch for people walking nearby, and stop if they get near or ask them to move for their own safety. (This happened to me on Friday at a builders merchants in Leicester. :unamused: )
If the clamp is foot operated, move your foot away from the pedal once clamped.
Always get as near as you can to your discharge area so as not to overstretch the crane.
Check the lift capacity of the crane and never try to exceed it.
Wear warm clothing if itā€™s a sit on crane and itā€™s cold, and waterproof if itā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  down.

Ken.

So much to tell mateā€¦

Main things I would say, Take your timeā€¦donā€™t rush and dont let others rush you.
Always check equipment ie chains slings shackles for damage and test dates.
Make sure you are on the best possible ground and position for lifting, donā€™t wanna be tipping over now.
Keep your eye out for obstructions especially overheads!! And people walking aboutā€¦
What kind of controls you got, remote or truck mounted levers?
If remote always knock off the unit when clambering about or you may do what a few of us have done and knock the levers without knowing it til you get took off your feet or worse by the boom!!

So much and I cant think!! If you need any specific question answering put it up here and the Hiab boys will put you right :wink: :wink: :wink:

Donā€™t be fooled by any of that ā€œWeā€™ve had bigger than that in hereā€ bollox.

They all want their stuff as near to where they will be working with it as possible and donā€™t give a toss if you go in up to your axles whilst tipping.

Check things out before you go in.

Once youā€™re stuck, itā€™s too late

sounds daft but get a brush shaft or something like that to poke the sling through to other end of pallet or whatever your lifting makes life easier.

Always use spreader boards under the staballiser legs . . even if the ground looks firm :sunglasses:

Inselaffe:
Donā€™t be fooled by any of that ā€œWeā€™ve had bigger than that in hereā€ bollox.

They all want their stuff as near to where they will be working with it as possible and donā€™t give a toss if you go in up to your axles whilst tipping.

have a look at your delivery notes, most state ā€˜delivery on hard standing onlyā€™ so just point at that if they give you jip

class2 hiab:
sounds daft but get a brush shaft or something like that to poke the sling through to other end of pallet or whatever your lifting makes life easier.

the little metal stays that builders use to hold up safety netting are perfect for this, the hook on the end is ideal to hook the sling on and push it through

Suedehead:
Always use spreader boards under the staballiser legs . . even if the ground looks firm :sunglasses:

especially on pavements, theyā€™re only strong enough to support people and are as soft as zb

apart from whatā€™s already been said when offloading/loading keep the goods as close to the ground/bed as possible incase the worse happens they donā€™t have far to fall and less chance of damage

if you have cam locks or pins holding in the crane legs while travelling make sure they are fitted and secure before you drive off, VOSA are getting hot on this

Top twoā€¦1 as many stabiliser legs out as far as possible.2.if it doesnā€™t feel right or safe DONā€™t do it, the only arse on the line is yours if it goes wrong.

if youā€™re delivering to sites someone will eventually ask if you ā€œcould just pop that pallet up on the scaffolding for us mateā€ā€¦ the answer is NO !

If youā€™re delivering to sites someone will eventually ask if you ā€œcould just pop that pallet up on the scaffolding for us mateā€ā€¦ the answer is NO !

WHY NOT?

wideload2011:
If youā€™re delivering to sites someone will eventually ask if you ā€œcould just pop that pallet up on the scaffolding for us mateā€ā€¦ the answer is NO !

WHY NOT?

because many site managers are crazy on h&s and if you touch the scaff they stop the job dead get it all inspected and a new scaff tag and send your gaffer the bill

You shouldnt touch the scaff if you are any good!

wideload2011:

a fair cop but in this blame culture day and age why take the risk dont have to be you that causes the problem but sure as hell gonna be you that gets blamed for it

If tipping near listed buildings, JUST WATCH OUT :wink: :wink: :wink:

cerbrious:

wideload2011:

a fair cop but in this blame culture day and age why take the risk dont have to be you that causes the problem but sure as hell gonna be you that gets blamed for it

If somebody pays me Ā£20 ( which has happened on numerous occasions) I am well up for it.

Inselaffe:

Just to prove this point. I was reversing off a site yesterday under the guidance of the site banksman. He pointed out a spot for me to reverse into which was up a muddy slope. I pointed out that my wagon wouldnt get up it to which he muttered the famous lineā€™ Weā€™ve had bigger than yours up there.ā€™ So after a bit of ā€˜discussionā€™ I thought Iā€™d prove my point and, yes, part way up the slope I start to spin. No diff lock on my truck and when i dumped the air I grounded on the rear bumper. Iā€™m stuck and Iā€™ve got a skip in front of me stopping me going forward. The lovely banksman is starting to get proper grumpy now and he has to get the telehandler to pull me out. My point proven!

If you are not happy doing something then just refuse. If you have a switched on gaffer heā€™ll understand and back you.

My advice is DONā€™T RUSH when operating!!! No matter what anyone says, even your own boss. :imp: (In my eyes, it gives you the authority to tell ANYONE to f*** off / go away)

Just had a run in with an actual SAFETY OFFICER :open_mouth: on a site asking me to hurry up, ā€˜Iā€™m needed in a meeting at 2ā€™ (itā€™s currently 1.30)!

He must not of heard me telling him to f*#* off over the engine noise.And with it being a remote, he nearly got the box over his head from 10 yards!!

From wednesday gone, we now have to wear safety glasses when operating. Because of an incident on a site where a hose burst and the operator got sprayed in the eyes/face with hydraulic oil, even though he was a good distance from the unit, (also a remote hi-ab)

id agree with all of the comments especially the Dont Rush comment

and make sure you do a test lift if your not certain about the weight of what your lifting

i had a run in with an elfin safety woman today at kingsnorth power station after going in to lift 2 supposedly empty bulk derv tanks (the size of a 20ā€™ container) lifted the one no problem on to one of our artic,s as it was empty, came to lift the second one and sent the warning system into overdrive, just as i did my test lift turns out they hadnt emptied it, and just as i was lowering it back to the floor the elfin safety woman was on the prowl and had heard the overload alarm , got a severe telling off :blush: as she had seen one of the outriggers come off the floor by an inch while i was doing the test lift