hi viz vests

do you wear them whilst driving. :question:
i dont, infact i would never wear one whilst driving, i think it makes you look like a right berk (but thats my opinion). cant you see me in a 44 ton truck :wink:
i have to wear it when im on site like most people, so i cannot wait to get it off.
what about people who pick up or drop trailers frequently, get grease on the vest and then climb in the cab still wearing it :open_mouth: . sorry its not for me. :wink:

I only used to wear one occasionally in our yard but just recently we started delivering our backloads into Christian Salvesen in Dunstable so I have to wear it there also. I also would never wear it while driving, why would anyone want to wear it while behind the wheel?

We are supposed to wear them in our yard all the time but I usually forget. A while back I did get pulled up on that though:

Office Bod, “You’re not wearing your Hi Viz.”

Me, “How do you know I’m not?”

OB, “I can see you aren’t.”

Me, “So if you can see me anyway the Hi Viz would be surplus to requirements then.”

On a related note my mate Mick got pulled up for wearing sandals in the yard last summer. The guy pointed at his feet and said “Those aren’t safety shoes” and Mick just walked straight past him saying, “They were good enough for Jesus.” The guy just stared after him open mouthed and couldn’t come up with a reply.

:imp: Don’t you get sick of all the mamby pamby of it all ? :blush:

Why wear a hi-vis ? do you employ drivers with bad eyesight ?, fair enough on the side of the road when its dark and raining, but otherwise. :imp: :angry:

I beleive that they are a good idea but I only wear on out of the truck, take it off before getting back in to leave. Find them irritating and restrictive whilst driving.

I once met a rather stupid driver who wore one cos our firm said he had to behind the wheel, in case he was thrown through the windscreen so he could be seen on the carriageway, or so that his corpse could be seen I presume. :laughing:

I sometimes forget to take mine off if I come tearing off the dock in a hurry (they won’t lift you without one, like most container terminals)…

…I usually remember as soon as I go around the first bend and wonder what that irritating reflection in the windscreen is, though. :open_mouth: :confused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Andyroo:
I once met a rather stupid driver who wore one cos our firm said he had to behind the wheel, in case he was thrown through the windscreen so he could be seen on the carriageway, or so that his corpse could be see I presume. :laughing:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Would it not have made more sense for them to insist he wore a seatbelt to avoid going through the windscreen in the first place? You do see a lot of drivers driving wearing a Hi Viz but no seatbelt. Now I wonder which is safer in the event of an accident?

It seems a lot of faith is put into the power of the Hi Viz by some companies.

Those aren’t safety shoes" and Mick just walked straight past him saying, “They were good enough for Jesus.” The guy just stared after him open mouthed and couldn’t come up with a reply.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

Andyroo:
I once met a rather stupid driver who wore one cos our firm said he had to behind the wheel, in case he was thrown through the windscreen so he could be seen on the carriageway, or so that his corpse could be see I presume. :laughing:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Would it not have made more sense for them to insist he wore a seatbelt to avoid going through the windscreen in the first place? It seems a lot of faith is put into the power of the Hi Viz by some companies.

This guy was full of ■■■■ most of the time though, a steering wheel attendant if ever there was one.

Seatbelt? They were running as old as B reg 7.5 tonners in 1999, would they have them? I think the newest was a K plate.

Andyroo:
Seatbelt? They were running as old as B reg 7.5 tonners in 1999, would they have them?

Most likely not but if they were so concerned for the drivers safety they could have had them fitted. Unless you think that the Hi Viz while driving option was cheaper for them.

Cynical, me? :wink: :smiley:

Most hi-viz vests that I have seen being worn have been absolutely filthy and I would say that they would be a hazard!!!

I have to confess to having one like that…it’s been with me ever since my first driving job, and I consider it’s “lucky” properties to be of far greater value than it’s visible ones - for example, I forgot to take it with me the week I had my big crash. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

Andyroo:
Seatbelt? They were running as old as B reg 7.5 tonners in 1999, would they have them?

Most likely not but if they were so concerned for the drivers safety they could have had them fitted. Unless you think that the Hi Viz while driving option was cheaper for them.

Cynical, me? :wink: :smiley:

If firms had middle names this one would have been JY**D ‘Cheap’ LTD.

Not a haulier, but they did own, maintain, recover, etc their own ‘fleet’ of sheds.

Coffeeholic:
On a related note my mate Mick got pulled up for wearing sandals in the yard last summer. The guy pointed at his feet and said “Those aren’t safety shoes” and Mick just walked straight past him saying, “They were good enough for Jesus.” The guy just stared after him open mouthed and couldn’t come up with a reply.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Another daft thing is when youre not allowed in the warehouse area because its not safe :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: If it`s not safe for us to walk about, how do the warehouse staff cope working a full shift in there?
Regards
Trev

Trevor Parry:

Coffeeholic:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Another daft thing is when youre not allowed in the warehouse area because its not safe :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: If it`s not safe for us to walk about, how do the warehouse staff cope working a full shift in there?
Regards
Trev

I’ll tell you whats daft… When you see a door with a sign saying STRICTLY PRIVATE or NO ADMITTANCE…and it’s full of people!!! :imp: :imp:

Also…Can i use your toilet please mate?

Sorry driver it’s for warehouse staff only.

Maybe their bits are different to ours then■■?

Well! I am one of the stupid ones then. We do up to 6 loads a day from our yard to customers of Corus, all who have a Hi Viz policy, as do Corus. It would be a bind to take it off after every load and then have to put it back on 30 mins or so later and then take it off again. As for being restrictive I never know its there most of the time, just, as Lucy said, when you get the annoying reflection in the windscreen. If I do any middle distance runs I do take it off though.

Westie

I will wear it all day if I am going to be popping in and out of the cab alot, otherwise It gets put on when I enter a yard, or if I have to stop on the hard shoulder of the motorway.

I personally don’t have a problem wearing one, it does make people easier to spot in a yard not sure why so many drivers have an aversion to them!!! Are you all related to Batfink? “My wings are like a shield of steel”, Cos I’m not, and judging by the standards of some drivers anything I can do to make it easier to spot me then I will do it. :laughing: :laughing:

It is a well known fact that a Hi-viz vest has numerous valuable properties:

It is bullet proof, crash proof, fire proof and provides an invisable yet solid force field all around you so that once wearing it you become invincible and will sufer no harm…

… and therefore your (or any) employer won’t have to pay out any compensation claims etc etc.

Me cynical?? :wink:

Lucy:
…and wonder what that irritating reflection in the windscreen is

I thought we were talking about hi-viz vests :question: :confused: