hi viz vests

There’s always one…and it’s usually Rob… :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
Would it not have made more sense for them to insist he wore a seatbelt to avoid going through the windscreen in the first place? You do see a lot of drivers driving wearing a Hi Viz but no seatbelt. Now I wonder which is safer in the event of an accident?

guilty. i wear one in the truck because its easier than putting it on and taking it off all day. i even wear it to work sometimes.
then again, my vest is a one off special print advertisement for truckersworld :wink:

SMUDGER:
Also…Can i use your toilet please mate?

Sorry driver it’s for warehouse staff only.

Maybe their bits are different to ours then■■?

Can I use your toilet please?

No,you drivers always leave it smelly!

Wot! and you’re telling me yours doesn’t smell?

Don’t you just love it! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

i have a hi viz sits over my passanger seat

sometimes have to wear it but always take it off for drivin

but it is ex large

I wear mine all day.

a) I can SO not be bothered taking it off only to put it back on again 5 minutes later. Thats an option for trunking, not multidrop

b) Noone ever believes I’m the driver so I need all the help I can get cnvincing them

c) They may look dirty, but in actuality its just grease from the crane. You can’t wash the stain out.

d) It does not make me look like a ‘berk’. It complements my svelte and lovely figure :stuck_out_tongue: and helps me look uber-cute. So there. (anyone read the last issue of T&D?)

mr 51 hope youve calmed down after reading the above :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dapper Scavenger:
d) It complements my svelte and lovely figure :stuck_out_tongue: and helps me look uber-cute. So there.

:open_mouth: :smiley: It don’t do that for me, with my trucker physique an all. :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

I have an absolute aversion to the damned things!!!

I arrived at Tescos Hinckley on Thursday (the third time this week :frowning: :frowning: ). I pulled right alongside the window to save me getting out the cab cos I is lazy. The berk on the gate says ‘wheres yer vest, driver’. In my side locker, mate! Well, put it on then driver. ‘I can’t mate. I can’t open my door to get to the locker’ You can’t come in then!!! Listen, mate, the vest is in the side locker which I cannot get to cos I cannot open my door (I have to be honest and admit there was quite a few 4 letter words added as well).
He insists I cannot come in in that case. OK, says I… if I can’t, nor can anyone else!!!
At this point, he gets on the phone which results in manmagement coming down. Oh dear, thought I… I am gonna get banned .AGAIN!! Now, I was feeling really grotty due to having a headcold and by the time management arrived, I was fuming.
Lots of expressions later telling management what a silly person I thought his Security Man was, they opened the barrier and let me in, insisting that I put the vest on before leaving the cab. I explained I would have to get out the cab to get the vest. It was this bit that throwing them. I wasn’t going to tell them that all I had to do was lift the bunk and there it was :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Just a complete waste of time in my eyes. Funny thing is that although I hate them I always wear the vest at Hinckley cos I know what old women they are about them

Coffeeholic:
A while back I did get pulled up on that though:

Office Bod, “You’re not wearing your Hi Viz.”

Me, “How do you know I’m not?”

OB, “I can see you aren’t.”

Me, “So if you can see me anyway the Hi Viz would be surplus to requirements then.”

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Brilliant! I had made a note of that for future use :smiley: .

On a related note my mate Mick got pulled up for wearing sandals in the yard last summer. The guy pointed at his feet and said “Those aren’t safety shoes” and Mick just walked straight past him saying, “They were good enough for Jesus.” The guy just stared after him open mouthed and couldn’t come up with a reply.

Heard that one before, but still superb :exclamation: :smiley:

Rob K:
Heard that one before, but still superb :exclamation: :smiley:

Yeah I posted that one on the old boards I think Rob.

:smiley: When i put mine on i think, “Where have my ■■■■ gone? And why has my arse suddenly increased?”

CM:
I beleive that they are a good idea but I only wear on out of the truck, take it off before getting back in to leave. Find them irritating and restrictive whilst driving.

Me too, only wear mine when I’m out of the cab…

TheBear:
I have an absolute aversion to the damned things!!!

I arrived at Tescos Hinckley on Thursday

I feel exactly the same way and arrived in my French reg Magnum at Tescos one day. In answer to the question I just rolled my eyes, hunched my shoulders palms pointing to the heavens and said ‘pas compris’ . He lent me one for the duration.
I have never been issued with, or carried, one. Many years ago on my first trip to Ireland I phoned ahead to Stranraer to book the ferry and was told one was required for the docks. Raced around but all I could come up with was one of those glowy belts that cyclists wear. Completely forgot about it when I got to the dock and no-one else noticed either.
Found it in a drawer the other day - still in its plastic bag!

Salut, David.

It does not make me look like a ‘berk’. It complements my svelte and lovely figure :stuck_out_tongue: and helps me look uber-cute. So there. (anyone read the last issue of T&D?)

Yep. Had me cringing and shaking my head in disbelief… :unamused: …some girls really don’t know when to a) help themselves, b) help the rest of us, and c) get their heads out of cloud cuckoo-land and onto the job in hand - using the practical equipment provided… :confused:

Wouldn’t be so bad, so but these types are so often the same ones who complain about not being taken seriously and can’t take a bit of good-humoured banter, prefering instead to rattle on and on about how hard it is to be female in this industry. A myth, IMHO…maybe a few years ago, but not any more. And we must never forget to thank the “pioneers” of 20 years experience whom we have to thank for that.

I’m talking about those strongest of women who made their living in the days before mass-palletisation, handballing 20 tonnes of potatoes on unaided with the best of them…tramping when there were no such things as ladies showers…who held their head up high and proved their worth in the days when people said women shouldn’t be driving lorries and meant it, rather than just looking for a bite.

It’s an insult to these incredible ladies for those of us who have come in and taken advantage of their hard-fought for and well-won improvements in attitude to then turn 'round and throw those achievements away by demanding “feminine PPE” and “stylish boots”…if our brave sisters hadn’t done the hard work, few of the rest of us would be here today, talking trucks with the lads and being accepted - 90% of the time at least - as equals. I can only hope that the writer of that letter intended it to be tongue in cheek. :confused:

Sorry, rant over. Pet soapbox. :wink: :blush: :open_mouth: :blush: :grimacing:

But Shobba was funny. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: I’m thinking of going with one of those Hi Viz jackets with the vertical stripes for the slimming effect, need to be plenty of stripes for it to make a difference I fear . :wink:

seeing that the weather is getting warmer, can we expect to see hiviz bikinis around? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

scanny77:
seeing that the weather is getting warmer, can we expect to see hiviz bikinis around? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :wink: would,nt look right thogh with a pair of toe tectors on.

Lucy:

It does not make me look like a ‘berk’. It complements my svelte and lovely figure :stuck_out_tongue: and helps me look uber-cute. So there. (anyone read the last issue of T&D?)

Yep. Had me cringing and shaking my head in disbelief… :unamused: …some girls really don’t know when to a) help themselves, b) help the rest of us, and c) get their heads out of cloud cuckoo-land and onto the job in hand - using the practical equipment provided… :confused:

. I can only hope that the writer of that letter intended it to be tongue in cheek. :confused:

Sorry, rant over. Pet soapbox. :wink: :blush: :open_mouth: :blush: :grimacing:

I was seriously debating replying with a very tongue-in-cheek response about how an experienced driver makes them look good! :slight_smile: Part of me had a very similar reaction to you. I think that one letter just paintbrushed the lot of us as a bunch of ditzy blondes who care more about the way we look than just doing our job.

Looking good is important to me, but honestly, why bother when you know you’re just gonna be sweaty and filthy by 9am anyway?

However, I do find that most gloves are way to big for my hands. lol and trying to find safety boots in smaller sizes can be a chore too.

I wonder if my fiance would kill me if I wore a hi-viz bridal gown? :stuck_out_tongue:

scanny77:

Hmmm… good idea!
■■■■■ - but good idea! :laughing:

Dapper Scavenger:
just gonna be sweaty and filthy

That could be a plus point for some people. :wink:

Dapper Scavenger:
I wonder if my fiance would kill me if I wore a hi-viz bridal gown? :stuck_out_tongue:

It would have its advantages, he would be able to find you easily on the wedding night with the lights off. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses: