Hi im Rick from Manchester

Hi ive been driving rigids 7 1/2 years ive failed my class 1 test on reverse exercise I clipped a cone :frowning: the other month.Ive got my retest this Monday coming.Has anyone got any tips.On test day the only practise im gonna get before going test centre is the reverse exercise and a couple and de-couple :frowning:

How were you doing on the reverse during the training?

ROG:

Fine believe it or not but the area where I was learning was only small.At the test centre it was huge a different ball game altogether

Trucker Rick:

ROG:

Fine believe it or not but the area where I was learning was only small.At the test centre it was huge a different ball game altogether

It should have been set up with the same dimensions - was it?

All I can say is if unsure take a shunt. On my test I took two shunts. I passed. Dont guess be sure.

ROG:

Trucker Rick:

ROG:

It should have been set up with the same dimensions - was it?

so they say but it clearly wasn’t :neutral_face:

Darrenb:
All I can say is if unsure take a shunt. On my test I took two shunts. I passed. Dont guess be sure.

I will take a shunt if im stuck :wink:

Hi Rick, I’m from Stockport. Iv only got class 2 but on doing my reverse I noticed that the set up I trained in was bigger than that at the test centre. I managed it tho, without any problems but I was like oh no. I did mine at Bredbury.

My set up was pretty much the same . The test one was slightly wider than training which made it a lot more easier.

Most common "“cone hit” on class one reverse is clobbering cone B (the one you intended going around). And the most common causes are: not positioning hard to the right at A cones before you start. Bottling the degree of bend required to circumnavigate cone B. Or setting everything up fine, getting the bend and then straightening too soon.

Remember two shunts are allowed. If you have a shunt, make it count. You can go up the area to a point level with A cones (start ones). There is no additional penalty for this. So often, folks have a shunt of a couple of metres then end up shunting again. The space is there - use it!

As for the practice reversing area. This is all too common. I’m not going to bang on about quality of training but it is a certain fact that if you use a trainer with their own test centre, it will be correct. You will be trained on the area on which you’ll be tested. You can also use a DSA Accredited LGV centre which will have a correctly marked area though you will go somewhere else for test unless they happen to have their own test centre as well.

Sadly, these questions are rarely asked as folks believe that the standards of training are consistent. They are not.

Before I’m berated by one or two other trainers, it’s perfectly possible to have a correctly marked area and not fit either of the above criteria. It’s just that the candidate has no way of knowing.

All the best with the next attempt. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I passed today with 6 points.I still had to make two shunts for the reverse :neutral_face: but ive not been in a artic for 6 weeks.The reverse exercise layout at bredbury test centre is definatly bigger than where I was practising.I didn’t even have time to do a couple and de-couple this morning just two goes at reversing :frowning:

Can never be certain what type has been passed in so here are both …

Peter Smythe:
And the most common causes are: not positioning hard to the right at A cones before you start

Think you meant to say hard to the Left Pete !

noney82:
Hi Rick, I’m from Stockport. Iv only got class 2 but on doing my reverse I noticed that the set up I trained in was bigger than that at the test centre. I managed it tho, without any problems but I was like oh no. I did mine at Bredbury.

Im guessing you use Stockport HGV then :wink: The reverse exercise layout at bredbury was definatly bigger than the layout at enterprises in Ancoats.I practised twice in reverse at enterprises and got it in the garage as they say but when I went to the test centre it cost me two shunts :neutral_face: and I did everything the same.If you decide to do your class 1 make sure you go in with your eyes wide open :wink:

ROG:
Can never be certain what type has been passed in so here are both …

lol cheers mate it was C&E though my licence will let me drive wagon and drag wont it? not like I will be ever doing it lol

Trucker Rick:

noney82:

Im guessing you use Stockport HGV then :wink: The reverse exercise layout at bredbury was definatly bigger than the layout at enterprises in Ancoats.I practised twice in reverse at enterprises and got it in the garage as they say but when I went to the test centre it cost me two shunts :neutral_face: and I did everything the same.If you decide to do your class 1 make sure you go in with your eyes wide open :wink:

Well done on the pass mate, yeah I use Stockport hgv heard to many bad things about enterprise or lgv4you as they call themselves in Stockport(marketing ploy). I passed no mither with stockport so all was good.

Enterprise have a high pass rate.Ive been driving rigids for 7 1/2 years and I passed with them.I got sick of multi drops all over the place.I went into work on my week off today so work could take a photocopy of my certificate and next week getting sent out on the rd doing some local jobs to gain some experience.Test centre said my licence could take 20 days lol.My part two paper licence was in tatters lol.

And the most common causes are: not positioning hard to the right at A cones before you start

Think you meant to say hard to the Left Pete !

Well spotted - - you have won this weeks’ prize for observation!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Trucker Rick:
Enterprise have a high pass rate.Ive been driving rigids for 7 1/2 years and I passed with them.I got sick of multi drops all over the place.I went into work on my week off today so work could take a photocopy of my certificate and next week getting sent out on the rd doing some local jobs to gain some experience.Test centre said my licence could take 20 days lol.My part two paper licence was in tatters lol.

20 days can’t see that to have a new entitlement added. With enterprise I didn’t like how I sighed up at Bredbury(lgv4u) and I was then told I’ll be driving out of ancoats. I think not haha

Trucker Rick:
Test centre said my licence could take 20 days lol.My part two paper licence was in tatters lol.

Don’t worry too much, typically the licence takes about 10 days to return.

The process when you hand the licence to the examiner is that both parts get destroyed in a shredder immediately (if the address on it is your current one). Form DL25(A) then gets sent along with all the other test reports for that day to DVSA HQ in Newcastle. Somebody enters the pass results directly onto a computer linked to the DVLA in Swansea where it is printed off within a day or two and sent to your home address.