Hi and thanks =)

Hi all,

Bit of a delayed post - I’ve been a long-time lurker on here and thought it’s time to actually write something :wink:

After working in an office for the last 11 years, last year I thought I’d man up and attempt to get my licenses. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do but never really got around to seeing it through. I passed my Class 2 back in August and then my Class 1 in October. I’m still buzzing (the novelty will wear off soon I’m sure) and I am now in the process of getting out of the office and looking to start a new career driving.

Being new to it all, this forum and some of the threads that have been put together for us new guys have been absolutely invaluable and have been a great help. If it’s been a post on working hours, CPC modules or just a general rants and raves about the reality of the job, it’s really given me an insight to the industry… but still hasn’t put me off :wink:

So thanks – It’s much appreciated!

I hope to be a bit more active on this going forward too – I’ve spent enough time reading through the rantings and banter whilst taking a break from excel sheets and dribbling on my desk.

Cheers,
Adam

Hi Adam

I am in a very similar position to you, having been office based for the last ten years so I feel your pain! I was sick and tired of being in a job I hated, staring at a screen for 9 hours a day and more importantly it was affecting my home life. I sat down with my wife and made the decision to quit just before xmas to do my class 1 and 2. You are slightly ahead of me in the process, as I have my theory next week and hopefully will start the practical stuff soon after. My brother in law is a driver so his help has been invaluable.

It’s encouraging to hear there are other guys in a similar position and I hope you get sorted soon. Have you started applying yet and what are your plans?

The ability to dribble is a real asset.

When you eventually get driving and have to deliver to RDC’s, looking stupid and slightly ’ challenged ’ can be used to your advantage.
For instance " Duh…I didn’t know you wanted my keys ". Or " I thought you said bay 9, not 5 ". (Assuming 5 was the tightest blindside in the world, and you couldn’t be arsed).

In fact, appearing to be a picnic short of a sandwich can get you out of all sorts of [zb].

Beaver has dribbling down to a fine art.

In those sort of RDC situations it’s always best to keep a pair of cut offs and flip flops in the cab ready. That way no one will acknowledge you exist, they will all leave you alone in the drivers pen and maybe just maybe they will ignore your reversing skills

DC_82:
Hi Adam

I am in a very similar position to you, having been office based for the last ten years so I feel your pain! I was sick and tired of being in a job I hated, staring at a screen for 9 hours a day and more importantly it was affecting my home life. I sat down with my wife and made the decision to quit just before xmas to do my class 1 and 2. You are slightly ahead of me in the process, as I have my theory next week and hopefully will start the practical stuff soon after. My brother in law is a driver so his help has been invaluable.

It’s encouraging to hear there are other guys in a similar position and I hope you get sorted soon. Have you started applying yet and what are your plans?

Thanks DC. Sounds like we’re in the same place! It’s sad to think that most of the stresses of the work week all come from the back of a computer screen but it has a way of really beating you down - Like you, it’s also affected things at home too. I’m glad I’m not the only one in this situation (If ‘glad’ can be the word)

Unfortunately, I’m tied in to the company until end of April (They must really like my dribbling…) but I’ve taken this time to update my CV and work on a cover letter which I’ll be passing around to a few local companies in the area hoping they may give a new guy who’s willing to learn a chance. I’m also going to register with a few agencies and maybe look at some weekend work in the meantime if it’s possible to do so.

Keep me posted on how the theory and the training goes. It’d be really good to see someone in the same situation make the change too :wink:

eagerbeaver:
In fact, appearing to be a picnic short of a sandwich can get you out of all sorts of [zb].

Appearing…? That’s day to day for me so I’m hoping you’re right. Cheers :wink:

AKC180:

eagerbeaver:

Combine it with a nervous twitch, a touch of tourettes and you’ll be made pal! :smiley:

The limp is key. Once a limp has been mastered your training is complete haha

Haha Great stuff :laughing:
My first post here and I’ve already been advised to limp along looking challenged, dribble more, twitch and shout obscenities. I think I’m going to like it here :sunglasses:

Cut offs ,flip flops,limp,swearing,twitch , HAHAHAHAHAHAHA brilliant

AKC180:

DC_82:
Hi Adam

Thanks DC. Sounds like we’re in the same place! It’s sad to think that most of the stresses of the work week all come from the back of a computer screen but it has a way of really beating you down - Like you, it’s also affected things at home too. I’m glad I’m not the only one in this situation (If ‘glad’ can be the word)

Unfortunately, I’m tied in to the company until end of April (They must really like my dribbling…) but I’ve taken this time to update my CV and work on a cover letter which I’ll be passing around to a few local companies in the area hoping they may give a new guy who’s willing to learn a chance. I’m also going to register with a few agencies and maybe look at some weekend work in the meantime if it’s possible to do so.

Keep me posted on how the theory and the training goes. It’d be really good to see someone in the same situation make the change too :wink:

Hi Adam, thanks for your response.

Defo sounds like there are a lot of similarities! Once it starts affecting stuff at home you know its time for a change. I was on 2 months notice but managed to negotiate a 1 month notice period. I think they realised I really wanted out and it would do them no favours by insisting I stayed on.

Anyway onto pastures new so keep me posted with your progress too! :smiley:

Cheers

Evil8Beezle:

AKC180:

eagerbeaver:

Combine it with a nervous twitch, a touch of tourettes and you’ll be made pal! :smiley:

I use my tic disorder to do mirror checks! :astonished:

I just limp atm :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

How are you progressing Animal? You back driving now?

Would fit right in on agency haha

NickW88:

You’re not to know mate, but animal had an accident.

eagerbeaver:
How are you progressing Animal? You back driving now?

Getting there been out a couple days will be out on days again for a couple days

NickW88:

Have a full time job thanks but as said had accident last aug fell off the back of the lorry fractured ankle ruptured achillies torn ligaments was non weight bearing for 10 weeks so long time recovery

Just need to build up the strength now really still some swelling there but will for a while longer

That’s a ■■■■ long recovery.

I had to have tendon surgery on my hand. Nowhere near as bad but still frustrating none the less. I cut the tendon to my thumb on a break in my wrist. Didn’t feel it happen, no pain etc but after surgery it hurt like hell!

The physio used to hurt a lot so can’t imagine how bad a leg must hurt.

NickW88:
That’s a ■■■■ long recovery.

I had to have tendon surgery on my hand. Nowhere near as bad but still frustrating none the less. I cut the tendon to my thumb on a break in my wrist. Didn’t feel it happen, no pain etc but after surgery it hurt like hell!

The physio used to hurt a lot so can’t imagine how bad a leg must hurt.

■■■■■■■■■■■■ has it’s price…