Hi all, and whats your opinion on

…truckers who dont ‘say thankyou’ when you flash them in, either from a slip road or overtaking?

Im new here, am 25 and have been driving class 1 for two years now (wagon and drag), always wanted to join a forum like this for truckers and get a broad opinion on certain things, and this one thing has been boiling my pee for a while now :imp:

Really annoys me when you flash someone in from a slip road or when theyve overtaken you, and they either pull in with no indication, indicate in and dont flip the indicators or hazards to say thanks, or just seem to carry on for another lorry length or two and then pull in :unamused:

Now i accept that car/van drivers and foreign lorries probrably wouldnt understand this british custom, and that 7.5 tonners may not either as most of them are just starting out on the road of trucking, but class 1 and 2 drivers? just downright rude in my opinion, i know its not a written rule but your trying to help a fellow trucker out and you dont get thanks in return, even more annoying when you see them further up the road passing another trucker, and saying thanks to them, WTF?!?!?!? :confused:

Now dont get me wrong im a nice guy, i dont go around with a huge chip on my soldier etc, but would love to hear your opinions on this :smiley:

Anyway hope to see you all on the roads in good terms :grimacing:

Gray

Welcome to Truck net.

Lets see some pictures of your truck!

oh and yes I think those that don’t thank you are ■■■■■■■ ignorant ■■■■■■■

Welcome

:laughing:

Its a courtesy to acknowledge someone elses consideration,I always give thanks when anothe driver helps me.

Hmm Daf cf has whiper wash wipe on the head light flash on it so if i were to clean my windscreen and my lights flashed and you smacke the front of my motor would you thank me :open_mouth: think not
Yes I do flash peopl in only when they are a SAFE distance remember the 2 SECOND RULE :unamused:

Sometimes I think I miss some drivers giving me the lights so sorry about that mate.

Nothing much really bothers me at work regards to driving except impatient ■■■■■■■■■ and nutters but thanking with an indicator is something I do as it can be handy at times but as above I think I have sometimes thanked drivers who don`t and that thought is worse.

Grayham:
Really annoys me when you flash someone in from a slip road or when theyve overtaken you, and they either pull in with no indication, indicate in and dont flip the indicators or hazards to say thanks, or just seem to carry on for another lorry length or two and then pull in :unamused:

First, you don’t have to indicate when pulling back into lane 1
Second, there is no law saying you have to “give thanks” by flashing your indicators, in fact it’s probably against the rules.
Third, I pull in when I’m ready. If I pulled in because I thought you flashed but you didn’t, you wouldn’t be happy.

You flash your lights to let them know they’re clear. That’s all. There are worse things to worry about. I don’t flash 7.5 tonners because they’re usually up the road anyway and don’t need it. Same goes for the Irish boys, by the time you hit the flasher they are 100 yards up the road. Waste of time flashing them.
Some idiots flash bloody cars in, what’s the point in that ? If they can’t tell how long their car is we’re in serious trouble. And they can see out the back window.

Grayham:

and that 7.5 tonners may not either as most of them are just starting out on the road of trucking,

or some of us are winding down after been a big boy like you.
and taking easy for the next 5 years until the cpc comes in for us.
ps i all ways flash but not many will flash me or thank me because i am in a 7.5

Hey thanks for the replies, its good to get a different view on things, hey i’d love to ask the truckers who dont say thanks what the deal is but its abit difficult when your travelling along a motorway and theyre faster than you :laughing:

nick2008:
Hmm Daf cf has whiper wash wipe on the head light flash on it so if i were to clean my windscreen and my lights flashed and you smacke the front of my motor would you thank me :open_mouth: think not
Yes I do flash peopl in only when they are a SAFE distance remember the 2 SECOND RULE :unamused:

Yep know what you mean, i always make sure theres reasonable distance which i comfortable with before i flash my lights, if i was passing someone and they flashed me in i always check my mirrors first to see if i am proper clear before i move in, because i know theres some instances where theyre not actually flashing to let me in but instead adknowledging a fellow trucker comeing in the oppossite direction :slight_smile:

smoker:

Grayham:

Second, there is no law saying you have to “give thanks” by flashing your indicators, in fact it’s probably against the rules.
Third, I pull in when I’m ready. If I pulled in because I thought you flashed but you didn’t, you wouldn’t be happy.

You flash your lights to let them know they’re clear. That’s all. There are worse things to worry about. I don’t flash 7.5 tonners because they’re usually up the road anyway and don’t need it. Same goes for the Irish boys, by the time you hit the flasher they are 100 yards up the road. Waste of time flashing them.
Some idiots flash bloody cars in, what’s the point in that ? If they can’t tell how long their car is we’re in serious trouble. And they can see out the back window.

Yep as you say its not a rule, just nice to get thanks if your trying to help them out, especially when its a dual carriageway and the traffic is getting held up (you know what those business reps are like) Perhaps im just too nice, i would just feel abit guilty if someone was trying to give me help and i just ignored them :confused:

Steve-o i havent got any pictures of my current ride, just this lame one i pinched off the company website :blush: will get some piccies once i have a camera and shes had a wash :grimacing:

Have a pic of my first ride for the company, oldest motor in the fleet, slow on the hills but never let me down :smiley: may not be a monster compared to what some here drive but back then i’d just left my job at Travis Perkins and compared to a DAF LF it was awesome :sunglasses:

welcome to trucknet grayham.
it does annoy me when i do flash them in,and they dont acknowledge,but even more of a common occurence now is pulling out to let TRUCKS out of sliproads,then leaving you sitting in the middle lane.i would think that some truckers should have more sense.when someone lets me out i keep the speed down until they are past and then flash them in.think its known as “courtesy”,something which seems to evade some who should know better.
the most annoying of all is by far,as i have mentioned before,trucks pulling back in too soon,without my flash,nearly taking the extra few feet of car protruding out of the top of my cab clean off.
on the whole though,most people are considerate.

:open_mouth:

Do hope your jokin

Mirror signal manover always indicate to show your intentions :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Well as a Car driver i always give lorries room in corners etc and also watch them when on the dual carriageway because you can see when they want to get out is when they are braking behind another lorry. Which by then i am flashing them out and then have a fit when i go past due to his flash when he is letting me in

buck73:
the most annoying of all is by far,as i have mentioned before,trucks pulling back in too soon,without my flash,nearly taking the extra few feet of car protruding out of the top of my cab clean off.
on the whole though,most people are considerate.

Funny you should say that ive had this happen to me a few times, but only in the midlands? :confused: :laughing: trucks (even 7.5 tonners!) indicating and starting to pull in before theyve even cleared my cab :open_mouth:

pete904ni:
Welcome

Nah, ya couldn’t have done, unless it’s the bloody maggots.

dean0:

Grayham:

and that 7.5 tonners may not either as most of them are just starting out on the road of trucking,

or some of us are winding down after been a big boy like you.
and taking easy for the next 5 years until the cpc comes in for us.
ps i all ways flash but not many will flash me or thank me because i am in a 7.5

Sorry I don’t flash 7.5 tonners because normally they cut in that close in front of me they wouldn’t see me flashing anyway. I generally only bother flashing trucks back in when its dark or chucking it down, if someone flashes me in I’ll flick the indicators to say thanks but if I let someone in who doesn’t thank me then I don’t even raise an eyebrow at it. As for people leaving me out to dry after I’ve let them in I’m limited to 52 and usually cruise along at 50 so I soon drop back and tuck in behind them. :laughing:

I tend not to do the flashy winky thing as I prefer to make my own mind up about pulling in or out, and frankly if I had quid for every time I’d been flashed into the path of a car blasting up the inside or swapping lanes at slip roads etc I’d be retired and in Spain by now. As a general rule “stay as far away from the accident as possible”, which means change lanes when you know it’s safe to do so and not when someone else (who may not be the best decision maker in the world) flashes you. Why put your trust and possibly your life in the hands of a stranger - fellow trucker or not ■■

I don’t intend to be anti-social, but I think the majority of collisions on our roads today are caused by driving too close to each other and on Motorways and Dual Carriageways we are all going in the same direction, so what’s the big rush to pull back in straight away anyway. Take your time.

There times when flashing can be helpful and courteous but I would say that’s the exception rather than the norm.

I never intend to flash until the 2 second gap is reached so I have nvery rarely flashed !!!

If flashed by another I will say thank you with side lights as indicators can confuse.

I will never pull in until the 2 second gap is reached which means there is usually a very long gap between the flash and me pulling in - it is my responsibility to ensure that I give the vehicle I have overtaken at least a minimum safe stopping gap in front of them.

SAFETY before CONVENIENCE every time :slight_smile:

Who cares?

I always flash people in, some respond & some don’t, I don’t get angry if they don’t, because it means… SFA, it’s an old, almost unnessecary, custom nowadays so there is no actual safety aspect to it anymore, yeah it’s cameraderie of sorts, but there are bigger things to worry about.

nick2008:

Do hope your jokin

Mirror signal manover always indicate to show your intentions :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

No I’m not. You are supposed to be in lane 1 anyway. If you are past someone and pull back in, you are only going where you should be anyway. If you are pulling out, you are moving into faster traffic, so you have to indicate, but moving back you are moving to a slower lane and you wouldn’t be pulling in if you weren’t past the other vehicle and so you must be going faster if you passed it.
Maybe I should put a few shock icons on here that you think you do have to.
Notice I didn’t say “I don’t indicate when pulling back in”, just you don’t have to. In a wagon I do, because you can’t always see what’s up your arse, but in a car I don’t.

smoker:

nick2008:

Do hope your jokin

No I’m not. You are supposed to be in lane 1 anyway. If you are past someone and pull back in, you are only going where you should be anyway. If you are pulling out, you are moving into faster traffic, so you have to indicate, but moving back you are moving to a slower lane and you wouldn’t be pulling in if you weren’t past the other vehicle and so you must be going faster if you passed it.
Maybe I should put a few shock icons on here that you think you do have to.
Notice I didn’t say “I don’t indicate when pulling back in”, just you don’t have to. In a wagon I do, because you can’t always see what’s up your arse, but in a car I don’t.

i second that, when i’m in my car i dont indicate to pull back into the slow lane (casts out and waits for a bite) but if i’m in my lorry i will, because IMPO if you then have some sort of accident the first thing the cops will probably ask is were you indicating when you pulled back into lane 1 :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: