Hi all, and whats your opinion on

Personally speaking before I move anything between lanes I indicate before I do so. [ROG mode]

If wanting to move from lane 3 to lane 2 would you indicate?

Have you ever been moving down lane 2, spotted that you are catching the vehicle in front, moved out into lane to overtake only for them to move back into lane 1 without indicating? [/ROG Mode]

:wink:
The only indication I very rarely give is from lane 2 to lane 1 as it usually serves no purpose.
I will not go into lane 1 if safety gap has not been achieved.
The moment you indicate an intent to do so then the vehicle behind accelerates.
Indicating at the same time the move is done serves no purpose.

From lane 3 to lane 2 is an indicator must as someone might be thinking about pulling out of 1 into 2 - tends to cause probs if doing so at the same time !!

tofer:
Personally speaking before I move anything between lanes I indicate before I do so. [ROG mode]

Have you ever been moving down lane 2, spotted that you are catching the vehicle in front, moved out into lane to overtake only for them to move back into lane 1 without indicating? [/ROG Mode]

ROG:
The only indication I very rarely give is from lane 2 to lane 1 as it usually serves no purpose.
I will not go into lane 1 if safety gap has not been achieved.
The moment you indicate an intent to do so then the vehicle behind accelerates.
Indicating at the same time the move is done serves no purpose.

From lane 3 to lane 2 is an indicator must as someone might be thinking about pulling out of 1 into 2 - tends to cause probs if doing so at the same time !!

OMG were you 2 seperated at birth :question: :question: :question: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Most of my posts tend to be in ROG mode for some reason :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tofer:

Not if I had just passed something and there was nothing in lane 1 needing to be alerted. Observation is the key.

tofer:
Have you ever been moving down lane 2, spotted that you are catching the vehicle in front, moved out into lane to overtake only for them to move back into lane 1 without indicating?

Yes, but what’s your point ? I would have had to move back whether or not they indicated.
It is the responsibility of the person doing the overtaking to indicate when they are likely to get in the way of other traffic. If you are overtaking, you are by definition, not getting in the way of anything you are passing. Indicators are meant to be used to inform others of things they can’t work out for themselves. This is why middle lane hoggers bug me so much. If I check my mirror and see a car in the middle lane, my initial reaction is that they are overtaking me. If I recheck my mirror and see that they haven’t gained any ground on me, they are ■■■■■■■ me about. If they were in lane 1 then indicated, my peripheral vision sees the indicator and alerts me to the situation. Just sitting there in lane 2 tells me nothing. I couldn’t give two ■■■■■ once they’ve passed me and want to pull in. I can see them and expect them to pull in, so why should they indicate ? I’m already aware of the situation.
Of course even if there is nobody coming up behind me, I would still indicate to overtake something as my indicator lets the car in front know I’m pulling out.
Another example is when you’re overtaking in a wagon, you keep as far right in your lane as possible. This is because the person being overtaken is not necessarily aware you are there, but the people passing you on the outside can see you are there, so they take responsibility for avoiding you. Once you can see what’s happening, indicators are largely irrelevant unless someone is turning off and slowing down.
Too many new drivers use the indicators automatically without thinking. It shouldn’t be an automatic action, it should be based on intelligent observation. But that’s where it all falls down of course.
If we’re not careful we’ll end up like the states, where you do have to indicate at all times, even if you’re the only one on the road !
If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound if there’s nobody there ?
[edit]■■■■, clicked the wrong button.
You may have seen it if you drive on nights. A completely empty motorway, you’re plodding along in lane 1 and a sports car flies past in lane 3 doing a ton. He’s nearly a quarter of a mile down the road and he puts his indicator on to move left. What’s the point in that ? Technically it’s driving without due care and attention. Ok it doesn’t hurt anybody, but it shows the lack of thinking about their situation and surroundings.

ROG:
Most of my posts tend to be in ROG mode for some reason :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

no way :question: :question: …get out of town :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :wink: it’s not “swine flu” we have to worry about now its “ROG flu” it seems tofer has become the first member to contract it eletronically through the screen on his pc :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The authorities say “ROG flu” has grown resilliant to the tamiflu anti-viral drug :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

smoker:
Too many new drivers use the indicators automatically without thinking. It shouldn’t be an automatic action, it should be based on intelligent observation. But that’s where it all falls down of course.

This is part of the advanced training - only give out information if another road user will benefit from it - it sure makes the driver look around more :wink: :slight_smile:

There are exceptions such as approaching a T-junction with extreme limited vision where another road user could appear suddenly.

Most car learners are told to indicate for open junctions and overtaking etc early as it is one less thing for them to contend with should a real need arise - an experienced driver will just extend a finger and out the indicator on if needed part way through the process when it was not needed at the start.

Thanks Rog, we agree on something at last :laughing:
Funny how I’ve never taken any advanced training but I knew that. Probably got told it when taking my first car training 26 years ago. Car trainers these days just seem to do the minimum to get the student past the test. Gotta rack up those hours !
Of course since I passed my cycling proficiency test at the age of 11 I have been on the road longer than 26 years, and all experience counts and every action depends on observation.

smoker:
Thanks Rog, we agree on something at last

To be honest - the greater majority of LGV drivers do many, many, things the same as advanced drivers which is why it is so easy for me (and them) when I’ve had them for advanced training.
They just need to train for a new system of driving (IPSGA and no brake/gear overlaps) because the observation & planning is there already - I would be a bit disappointed if it was not as that might mean a 44 tonne driver just reacting, dare I say it ?, like many car drivers !!!

When I took my class 2 (and class 1 actually) the instructor said to both of us (shared training) that at least he didn’t have to teach us how to drive before teaching us how to drive a wagon. Some of the people who came through were worrying to say the least. The problem is they still end up passing, and they really shouldn’t. It’s a pity that someone who has taken 10 attempts to pass the test because of serious errors can fluke it one day and not have eradicated those errors, just not encountered that situation during that particular test.
One guy he mentioned had the tendency to drive ok for a while then just lose it and do something stupid. On his (4th or 5th) test he was on the way back to the test centre, and would have passed, except about a 1/4 mile from the centre he tried to squeeze past an island while a cyclist was there. If that cyclist hadn’t been there, he would have passed and probably gone on to kill some bugger later.

I’ve worked with a person who claim to have had a licence for 20 years but when I was out with him, he carried on chatting and looking at me, while getting faster and faster as we approached a T junction with a red light and a 30 foot high brick wall in front of us. My ring was quivering I can tell you ! I had to tell him 3 times before he realised and hit the brakes. However, this guy also flashed in every single vehicle that passed us. Using a 3 over 3 with a splitter he had a fist of fury and still managed to get the wrong gear 9 out of 10 times.
I eventually quit working with him when we had to tranship some pallets from one trailer to another and swap the units over. As he reversed up to the other trailer, I jumped out and when he stopped, I put the trailer brake on (we’re a team) and climbed in the back. Then next thing you know, as I’m moving a pallet across the gap, he pulls the unit off and takes the trailer with him ! He’s only turned the trailer brake OFF ! But somehow that wasn’t his fault. Just doing something blindly and expecting good results is a dangerous pursuit.

Grayham:
Really annoys me when you flash someone in from a slip road or when theyve overtaken you, and they either pull in with no indication, indicate in and dont flip the indicators or hazards to say thanks, or just seem to carry on for another lorry length or two and then pull in :unamused:

I dont care really, just put it down the the ignorance which abounds in this industry. although even the opportunity to flash is getting rarer as there seems to be plenty who consider a coupel of feet an acceptable gap to leave before pulling in.

i think there’s very few drivers who refuse to flash you in or acknowledge your courtesy but there’s a hell of a lot who pull back in far too early so maybe this is where your problem lays. Also unless you’re watching the mirror more than the road ahead it’s so easy to miss a very quick flash.

I flash drivers when there is a safe gap for them to pull back in but I have noticed that there are alot of muppets who pull in before I flash which means i have to slow down to increase the gap. :imp:

always flash trucks in and always say thanks, i remember how difficult it was when i first started out , those flashes to come in were a godsent when it was dark and hammering it down .as most say it common courtesy.

theres quite alot of tossco’s drivers that tend not to flash you back in,is it because they get sick to death of doing it!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I fully agree that we should be polite and say thank you when someone does us a favour (like flashing us in).

What I find odd is that anyone gets worked up when it doesn’t happen. Surely we do stuff like this because it’s the right thing to do? We are not children or puppies that have to be rewarded with a hug or a pat when we get it right or don’t pee on the carpet.

If I get an acknowledgment for giving way or whatever then that’s nice and it gives me a warm cuddly feeling. If I don’t then that’s OK too because I know that I did the right thing.

Santa:
I fully agree that we should be polite and say thank you when someone does us a favour (like flashing us in).

What I find odd is that anyone gets worked up when it doesn’t happen. Surely we do stuff like this because it’s the right thing to do? We are not children or puppies that have to be rewarded with a hug or a pat when we get it right or don’t pee on the carpet.

If I get an acknowledgment for giving way or whatever then that’s nice and it gives me a warm cuddly feeling. If I don’t then that’s OK too because I know that I did the right thing.

Exactly !
there was a saying which I forget now, along the lines of " if you do an act of charity and expect recompense or fame you immediately undo the act". I never expect fame or fortune from charity, I never tell anybody. Why does this bloke think he’s owed something ?

smoker:
but what’s your point

I’m not sure now. I did have one at one point but I lost it.

There have been some interesting comments on here about the original question. My personal view was that I would always flash them in, if they did not respond with a big “Thanks ,I Lurve you”, so what.? I lost no sleep over that. :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

Just a thought. How come Stobarts haven,t recieved a major malleting on this thread ■■. That does surprise me. :astonished: :astonished:

The top post of this thread however , must go to “pete904ni”, for his “floggin a dead horse” comment. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I almost did pmsl looking at that. :laughing: :cry: :laughing: :cry: It,s the way yer tell ,em Pete. One hour later, I still am :frowning: :frowning:

:laughing:
[/quote]

tofer:

smoker:
but what’s your point

I’m not sure now. I did have one at one point but I lost it.

I’ve been to the pub since then so I can’t remember either :sunglasses: