HGV training in Essex advice

Can anyone recommend a good training School in Essex? I’m from Southend and currently looking to do Class 2. I’ve contacted a couple, but so far they’re more concerned about pushing 4 Day Class 1&2 bundle courses on me and not interested in answering my questions or offering a walk around and trial drive to see if I prefer Manual or Auto etc.

Any experience or advice would be great as the odd Google review from 16 months ago isn’t much to go by!

truenihilist:
Can anyone recommend a good training School in Essex? I’m from Southend and currently looking to do Class 2. I’ve contacted a couple, but so far they’re more concerned about pushing 4 Day Class 1&2 bundle courses on me and not interested in answering my questions or offering a walk around and trial drive to see if I prefer Manual or Auto etc.

Any experience or advice would be great as the odd Google review from 16 months ago isn’t much to go by!

Just done my class 2 with RoadTrain, passed 1st time, no pressure on packages, very relaxed, can’t fault them tbh.

Cheers, mate. Do they offer a trial drive and one on one training, or is it going out two at a time?

Have you checked out the link in my signature below :question:

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE VISITED THE SCHOOL - unless its an overwhelming recommendation such as using one of this sites sponsors

ROG:

DO NOT PAY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE VISITED THE SCHOOL - unless its an overwhelming recommendation such as using one of this sites sponsors

Yes, thanks. Very helpful stuff. I’ve got my check list of questions I’ve been asking the companies, but they’re not overly interested in responding to them all. They’re more keen on selling fast track lessons. Would you advise just turning up and asking to discuss the details in person? Then getting it in writing from them as to dates and prices etc?

truenihilist:
Cheers, mate. Do they offer a trial drive and one on one training, or is it going out two at a time?

Yes I had 2 trial drives as i was still a bit unsure, they were very accommodating and helpful with the whole process.

I think you can specify if you want one on one but honestly mate you will get much more out of it if you are buddied up, initially i wanted one on one but so glad i chose to work in pairs, you really do learn from each others mistakes, it’s especially helpful as when your a passenger, you can be slightly more objective about the process and get time away from the wheel to reflect on mistakes etc, you don’t get any less time driving either as when your paired it’s just a longer day.

Have you called FLAIR :question:

ROG:
Have you called FLAIR :question:

First I’ve heard of them. They seem to be clear and direct on what they offer and what the price includes. I will contact them tomorrow, thank you.

Stubz:

truenihilist:

Yes I had 2 trial drives as i was still a bit unsure, they were very accommodating and helpful with the whole process.

I think you can specify if you want one on one but honestly mate you will get much more out of it if you are buddied up, initially i wanted one on one but so glad i chose to work in pairs, you really do learn from each others mistakes, it’s especially helpful as when your a passenger, you can be slightly more objective about the process and get time away from the wheel to reflect on mistakes etc, you don’t get any less time driving either as when your paired it’s just a longer day.

That’s exactly what my concerns were with doing it in pairs. Cheers for the advice!

Or do the same as many forum users and take advantage of our residential courses - at no extra charge. Plus you get 10% discount off all our training.

Not short of recommendations on here and all your questions answered.

Only offer 1:1. Own test centre, new trucks, fully qualified and registered instructors and an approved training centre.

More details if you want them - just ask.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Or do the same as many forum users and take advantage of our residential courses - at no extra charge. Plus you get 10% discount off all our training.

Not short of recommendations on here and all your questions answered.

Only offer 1:1. Own test centre, new trucks, fully qualified and registered instructors and an approved training centre.

More details if you want them - just ask.

Thanks, Peter. Yes, how does it work? Have you got a website? I’m open to all options. I’ve left a decent job to pursue this, so want to spend my money wisely and learn as much as possible!

truenihilist:

ROG:

Yes, thanks. Very helpful stuff. I’ve got my check list of questions I’ve been asking the companies, but they’re not overly interested in responding to them all. They’re more keen on selling fast track lessons. Would you advise just turning up and asking to discuss the details in person? Then getting it in writing from them as to dates and prices etc?

Always go in person. If they don’t want you to ask yourself why?

Thanks, Peter. Yes, how does it work? Have you got a website? I’m open to all options. I’ve left a decent job to pursue this, so want to spend my money wisely and learn as much as possible!

The residential course is very straightforward. We arrange your accommodation in a local hotel for the duration of your practical training and we pay for it as well. The training can either take place Monday - Thursday with your test on the Thursday OR over a weekend with training all day Saturday and Sunday followed by test on Monday. Both routes are very successful and will suit folks differing circumstances.

Booking during June gives you FREE MODULE FOUR TRAINING AND TEST. This will take place during your stay with us. We have our own in house examiner for this so no waiting involved.

Whilst the offer is for bookings taken during June, you can complete your training anytime this year.

Cost: £1260. This includes EVERYTHING! The only extra is your travel cost which is down to you.

You truthfully will struggle to match us on price and you’ll find it close to impossible to match the quality and service.

Fire away with any more questions.

Peter Smythe:

The residential course is very straightforward. We arrange your accommodation in a local hotel for the duration of your practical training and we pay for it as well. The training can either take place Monday - Thursday with your test on the Thursday OR over a weekend with training all day Saturday and Sunday followed by test on Monday. Both routes are very successful and will suit folks differing circumstances.

Booking during June gives you FREE MODULE FOUR TRAINING AND TEST. This will take place during your stay with us. We have our own in house examiner for this so no waiting involved.

Whilst the offer is for bookings taken during June, you can complete your training anytime this year.

Cost: £1260. This includes EVERYTHING! The only extra is your travel cost which is down to you.

You truthfully will struggle to match us on price and you’ll find it close to impossible to match the quality and service.

Fire away with any more questions.

Just visited your website, Peter. Absolutely amazing. This is something I will seriously consider. Is that price for Class 2 or 1? I’m very impressed. My only concern is you’re a 3 hour drive up the M1, so I can’t just pop down tomorrow for a chat haha.

Just visited your website, Peter. Absolutely amazing. This is something I will seriously consider. Is that price for Class 2 or 1? I’m very impressed. My only concern is you’re a 3 hour drive up the M1, so I can’t just pop down tomorrow for a chat haha.

Thanks for the kind comments. The quoted price is for CAT C. CAT CE is £1350 with all the same perks (except Mod 4).

Whilst it’s always a great idea to visit the trainer, this is mainly to ensure that they actually exist (there are plenty who make out to be but are actually brokers) and that you’re happy with the facilities and vehicles. Most of this is clear from our videos but feel free to ask for comments on this site. We have literally dozens of very happy customers from Trucknet.

I’m on hand a lot of the time to answer queries either on the thread or pm. The office is fully staffed from 0730 to 1700 Monday to Friday.

As forum sponsor, I simply cant afford to get it wrong!!

www.crowlands.co.uk/
Based in Romford they’ve been going for years. The websites a bit poor though.

Peter Smythe:

Thanks for the kind comments. The quoted price is for CAT C. CAT CE is £1350 with all the same perks (except Mod 4).

Whilst it’s always a great idea to visit the trainer, this is mainly to ensure that they actually exist (there are plenty who make out to be but are actually brokers) and that you’re happy with the facilities and vehicles. Most of this is clear from our videos but feel free to ask for comments on this site. We have literally dozens of very happy customers from Trucknet.

I’m on hand a lot of the time to answer queries either on the thread or pm. The office is fully staffed from 0730 to 1700 Monday to Friday.

As forum sponsor, I simply cant afford to get it wrong!!

I’m going to visit a couple of companies locally before the end of the week to get some quotes, then have a chat with the missus (as she’s the boss) I will seriously consider your offer, and am willing to travel as your services are the best I’ve seen. Much appreciated, Pete.

Not being arrogant, but I’d like to know if you can beat the price and/or the quality.

You are absolutely right to compare; let us know how you get on.

Peter Smythe:
Not being arrogant, but I’d like to know if you can beat the price and/or the quality.

You are absolutely right to compare; let us know how you get on.

I will, thanks. I don’t doubt the quality of equipment and training you are offering. It’s clear to see. Unfortunately after saving for six months to cover me leaving work and budgeting for the costs of obtaining my licenses, price (including re-test options) and availability is going to be a major factor in my decision. I read a post you made in January observing a major factor into test failures being the financial worries causing nerves was 100% bang on. It’s my only concern. I’ve driven 3.5t & 7.5t before and am still worried about the cost of not passing first time, finding work and earning again.

Why leave work? Simply get it done over a weekend and take just the Monday off. Where the worry of retests and their associated cost is a concern, I suggest taking Pass Protection. This covers you for the cost of 3 retests at the cost of just one (£300). It’s a lot of money but it covers you for £900 worth of retests.

Chances are that you’ll pass straight away - especially with Pass Protection behind you.

Most folks have concerns about passing. So make it as easy as you can for yourself. New vehicles, test centre on site and top instructors. It’s a winning formula.

When you’re doing your price comparison, remember to include Mod 4 training, test and vehicle hire. This alone is often charged IRO £300.