HGV Sat Nav worth it?

Done a quick search and didn’t come up with anything but pretty sure I have seen a post here about it. Anyone recommend a decent HGV sat nav? That doesn’t cost the earth? Don’t want to upset the Mrs shelling out another fortune on something I’m not sure will get extensive use, I know the area I’ll be working for my new firm pretty well but may still be worth having one hanging on the windscreen just incase it’s needed providing it doesn’t cost to much. Thank you

I use one, would recommend the TomTom 5150 but its not cheap.

Get the trucktables one of ebay…Around the £70 mark…And is more than good enough for the job…

daftvader:
Get the trucktables one of ebay…Around the £70 mark…And is more than good enough for the job…

Yep, perfectly acceptable, as is the NozaTech one off ebay for less than £40…
But you do get what you pay for, and while I have a NozaTech, I choose to use my TomTom6000, and have the NozaTech handy as a backup…

Radar19:
I use one, would recommend the TomTom 5150 but its not cheap.

I’ve got the opposite of this, the Garmin dezl 750. Again not cheap but mine was second hand on eBay - 100 quid off the norm price, he’d only used it 3 times. So worth a look on eBay to get a big brand name cheaper, or as mentioned the truck tables one or the cheap Chinese ones.

Tell er’ indoors that it’s a must have purchase, like all the handbags and shoes (possibly), and if you’re lucky you’ll only have to buy one and it’ll last you a few years :smiley:

Or look at a smartphone app they do exactly the same thing as a dedicated truck sat nav. Depending on your phone or tablet at the top end there’s copilot truck about 170 at the budget end there’s aponia both are adequate truck satnav and I’ve used both

UselessForce:
Done a quick search and didn’t come up with anything

Lol. Put sat nav in the search box at top of main forum page = 0 results, put sat navs in = 2399 results! :laughing:

The greener you are, the more necessary I would say it is. I use mine more like an electronic map these days, but I wouldn’t be without it. The gaffer buys ours so I’ve had snoopers, and integrated into the dash. But if it was my money I would go trucktables and bridge height map to be sure.

alix776:
Or look at a smartphone app they do exactly the same thing as a dedicated truck sat nav. Depending on your phone or tablet at the top end there’s copilot truck about 170 at the budget end there’s aponia both are adequate truck satnav and I’ve used both

Is there an app? I looked a few weeks back and couldn’t anything.

They are apps what operating system are you looking at

Evil8Beezle:

daftvader:

But you do get what you pay for, and while I have a NozaTech, I choose to use my TomTom6000, and have the NozaTech handy as a backup…

I too have the Nozatech one…Now a backup satnav too.Been using it for last 3 years…Here and abroad…And never had any issues with it…Only bought the trucktables ones because i could’nt update the maps on the Nozatech…I know you get what you pay for…But as the op is looking for a cheap option.Then the trucktables one is a good one…

alix776:
They are apps what operating system are you looking at

Android

Brilliant thanks for the responses guys I shall be having a look online today and will have a look at all as suggested :slight_smile: definitely don’t want to be out and about without one though as signal on the iPhone can’t always be relied on for checking maps etc.

Dan Bear good point mate her and the kids constantly buying unecessary items and this is work related :stuck_out_tongue:

The ones I’ve said the maps are saved to your phone copilot or aponia will be fine personally id spend a bit more and go for copilot or renault truck nav you could also look at igo

I’m definitely gonna pick up one of the trucktable ones next payday, got myself a Philips trucker atlas as well so should cover all bases along with good old fashion observation.

daftvader:

Evil8Beezle:

daftvader:

I too have the Nozatech one…Now a backup satnav too.Been using it for last 3 years…Here and abroad…And never had any issues with it…Only bought the trucktables ones because i could’nt update the maps on the Nozatech…I know you get what you pay for…But as the op is looking for a cheap option.Then the trucktables one is a good one…

If you want an update for the Nozatech, then speak to Priest, he’s your man! :smiley:

This probably isn’t what you want to hear, but honestly you should view the satnav as a handy pocket sized street map of the country and nothing more.

The drivers bridge height atlas is what a lorry driver uses to plan a route, the sat nav comes in handy in strange territory to guide you in the last few miles and is very very handy to let it run whilst on route in order to keep an eye out for unmarked junctions, the name of the road you are on and the current speed limit and likely hidey holes for the scamera vans…for these purposes the sat nav is a handy tool, but it should never, repeat never, be used by a professional lorry driver to plan a route, thats done by careful study of the road bridge height atlas with a good helping of common sense.

My reason for this view are not just cos i’m an old codger…and in mitigation this old codger was one of the first users of the original trafficmaster system for spotting traffic delays and radar detectors and mobile phones, but these devices had and have their uses for lorry drivers, my issue is that if you just blindly follow the satnav you don’t learn your routes and don’t learn where the bridges and restrictions are as you should over time.

My tuppenceworth is to buy as large screen as possible normal but quality make satnav with ‘‘traffic’’, and a standard Philips bridge height map, plus a copy (even if used) of the last issue of AA Close Up Lorry Drivers Atlas, with the money saved.

UselessForce:
Done a quick search and didn’t come up with anything but pretty sure I have seen a post here about it. Anyone recommend a decent HGV sat nav? That doesn’t cost the earth? Don’t want to upset the Mrs shelling out another fortune on something I’m not sure will get extensive use, I know the area I’ll be working for my new firm pretty well but may still be worth having one hanging on the windscreen just incase it’s needed providing it doesn’t cost to much. Thank you

Mine is a really cheap 1 off amazon think it’s called elaac or something cost me £37 Inc postage honestly wasn’t expecting much let’s you put truck weight and height in tbh brilliant sat nav I use it every day unless I know where I’m going

Juddian:
This probably isn’t what you want to hear, but honestly you should view the satnav as a handy pocket sized street map of the country and nothing more.

The drivers bridge height atlas is what a lorry driver uses to plan a route, the sat nav comes in handy in strange territory to guide you in the last few miles and is very very handy to let it run whilst on route in order to keep an eye out for unmarked junctions, the name of the road you are on and the current speed limit and likely hidey holes for the scamera vans…for these purposes the sat nav is a handy tool, but it should never, repeat never, be used by a professional lorry driver to plan a route, thats done by careful study of the road bridge height atlas with a good helping of common sense.

My reason for this view are not just cos i’m an old codger…and in mitigation this old codger was one of the first users of the original trafficmaster system for spotting traffic delays and radar detectors and mobile phones, but these devices had and have their uses for lorry drivers, my issue is that if you just blindly follow the satnav you don’t learn your routes and don’t learn where the bridges and restrictions are as you should over time.

My tuppenceworth is to buy as large screen as possible normal but quality make satnav with ‘‘traffic’’, and a standard Philips bridge height map, plus a copy (even if used) of the last issue of AA Close Up Lorry Drivers Atlas, with the money saved.

I disagree to a point I was using truck satnav as a tester about 2 years before it was released publicly. A satnav is a map, just in digital form. I have carried even a map book for many years. As for a large screen that’s a myth you see no more detail on what ever size screen you get personally I either use an iPhone 4s running copilot truck or a Nokia 635. As back up running aponia truck nav . I’ve had tomtom and pronav units as well as garmin and a smartphone option is much more flexible for me and less obvious when parked

I too can recommend the truck tables one, I even managed to drop mine out of the cab onto the floor yesterday (doh) and though the case is a bit knocked about it still works properly. The only thing with mine is that it hasn’t been updated with the new speed limits so it annoyingly tells you that you’re speeding when you’re not, there might be a fix for this though, I haven’t looked into it.