HGV parking crisis point

ht HGV parking reaching crisis point, government survey finds
October 4, 2022 Carol Millett

The provision of on-site lorry parking across the UK is at crisis point in three key regions and close to critical elsewhere in the country, new government research has revealed.

The DfT National Survey of Lorry Parking (Part One) has found that the most crowded overnight parking sites are in the East of England, which is running at 95% capacity, the South East at 94% and East Midlands at 92%.

All three regions are over the critical level of 85%, and above the national average utilisation level of 83%, the study revealed.

The survey carried out during March 2022, audited overnight lorry parking within five kilometres of England’s strategic road network (SRN) to assess lorry parking facilities and demand.

The study found a total of 21,234 vehicles parked within five kilometres of the SRN in England.

It recorded 328 on-site parking facilities, including independent truckstops, local authority truckstops, motorway service areas (MSAs) and trunk road service areas (TRSAs).

It also found 4,068 off-site parking locations, of which 827 were industrial estates, and 3,241 were laybys.

The study findings show a serious shortage of on-site overnight parking with an over capacity of 4,473 vehicles.

It concluded: “The provision of lorry parking at on-site facilities is nearly at critical level, having reached 83% utilisation level across the network,” noting that the East of England, the South East and East Midlands were well above critical level.

The report said conditions at many overnight lorry parking sites were poor. It stated: “Providing drivers with safe parking facilities with suitable washing and food facilities, to enable them to have a pleasant overnight rest, is important for improving driver welfare, perception, and road safety.

“If safe parking locations with suitable washing and food amenities are the standard industry should aspire to in order to achieve these goals, then most laybys and industrial estates would fall woefully below this standard.”

Of the 16,761 on-site spaces, the greatest number were found at independent truckstops, providing 7,390 spaces, followed closely by MSAs with 6,688 spaces – making up 84% of the total.

Read more
Logistics UK boss urges government to extend visa scheme and deliver on overnight parking pledge
North Yorkshire council threatens fines over unauthorised overnight parking
Overnight HGV parking must be considered for new developments
TRSAs provide 2,074 parking spaces, and local authority truckstops provide 609 spaces, representing 12% and 4% of lorry parking capacity respectively.

The study also found that of the total 4,516 vehicles parked at on-site facilities, 68% were UK registered and 32% non-UK registered.

It found a similar trend at off-site parking locations with the biggest proportion of vehicles registered to the UK (60%).

The research included a survey of 364 HGV drivers which found that 79% agreed good quality lorry parking has decreased in the past five years, whilst 92% believed truck crime has increased in the UK in the last five years.

Well over 90% of drivers surveyed rated poor quality facilities, sub-standard security, and the high cost of parking as of great concern for them.

The study also ran a driver focus group which overwhelmingly believed the government must take responsibility for improving overnight parking sites.

A majority also noted that European facilities they had experienced were of a much higher standard.

Michelle Gardner, Logistics UK head of policy said this week that the survey “confirmed that England’s commercial drivers are woefully under-catered for when it comes to accessing safe and secure overnight parking areas.

“This has been an issue for too long and is preventing the industry from recruiting and retaining the skilled workforce that it needs.

“The government’s stated objective to improve the situation is welcome, but industry now deserves action, so that more parking facilities are developed, at pace, where they are most needed.

“Logistics UK stands ready to work proactively and collaboratively with all stakeholders so that these key workers can access the safe, secure facilities they are entitled to while undertaking their daily tasks.”

Let’s all guess what the government will do about it.
I will start 100% nothing.

Let’s all guess what the government will do about it.
I will start 100% nothing.

Got it in one, totally agree

As every driver is on £50k+, Then they would have no problem parking at an Hotel For the night.I am sure the Hilton would want the extra business. :smiley:

I live a mile or so from the recently opened massive Amazon depot on Follonsby Park Tyne and Wear. Every layby and spare land in the area is filled up with tractor units and artic combinations waiting for their loads. There’s no parking on the road outside of Amazon, so the other businesses on the estate have to put up with the resulting congestion and rubbish generated.
My point is, why can’t Amazon be made to provide a space and toilets for the drivers to have there statutory time off. It’s pretty obvious from the places they are parking that they’re not looking for entertainment and nightlife, so all that’s needed is a pretty basic facility, ( and education for the morons abusing the area to keep it decent). Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
I live a mile or so from the recently opened massive Amazon depot on Follonsby Park Tyne and Wear. Every layby and spare land in the area is filled up with tractor units and artic combinations waiting for their loads. There’s no parking on the road outside of Amazon, so the other businesses on the estate have to put up with the resulting congestion and rubbish generated.
My point is, why can’t Amazon be made to provide a space and toilets for the drivers to have there statutory time off. It’s pretty obvious from the places they are parking that they’re not looking for entertainment and nightlife, so all that’s needed is a pretty basic facility, ( and education for the morons abusing the area to keep it decent). Regards Kev.

Because it’s a classic case of ''Not our problem/CGAF/ so deal with it.

It amazes me that in this country of red hot ‘Health and Safety’ that it only applies to drivers in this industry in a negative sense to them., where 9 times out of 10 ‘H&S’ is going to ■■■■ up your day in assorted ways at some time or another. :unamused:
BUT…when it comes to real issues that NEED addressed,. like proper parking facilities concentrating on driver welfare ,…‘H&S’ FOR us is conveniently ignored.
So.■■■■ annoying. :imp:

kevmac47:

Not just Amazon every large warehouse could easily supply even 10 parking spaces in the corner.
Even if they charged a nominal fee.
There make a few quid on the side.
Or better still all these new build estates should be made to provide hgv parking spaces as part of the planning permission.
Instead of having double yellow lines all over .
And no stopping etc

Only got to look at Lidl Exeter for truck parking.

Joke report , loads of parking in the e midlands , I travel back every evening & majority of lay -bys are empty, trouble is most drivers are soft as ■■■■ these days & wouldn’t be content if they were offered a 5 star hotel room for the night

83% capacity…

The bums on seats in Westminster will argue there’s 17% available so, why do we need to do anything.

Yes, new build warehouses and transportation hubs should be forced to include facilities for the very people who ensure their operation functions at all.

Of course planners should provide parking.
Of course authorities should insist on it.

But we have had for too long the politicians farming out their responsibilities to private business: “let the market decide”.
The market has decided that parking makes no profit, so we have no parking.
And we dont get "interference" form government because we have been told we "dont like the nanny state" that does stuff for us.

Wake Up !

Franglais:
Of course planners should provide parking.
Of course authorities should insist on it.

But we have had for too long the politicians farming out their responsibilities to private business: “let the market decide”.
The market has decided that parking makes no profit, so we have no parking.
And we dont get "interference" form government because we have been told we "dont like the nanny state" that does stuff for us.

Wake Up !

Fully awake thanks mate, nobody is saying that we realise nobody gives at toss for WHATEVER reason that may be…, it’s on the ‘bleeding obvious’ list.
What we are saying (as you did yourself) is that somebody SHOULD for a plethora of reasons that we can all come up with…so let’s start with the Government.
It’s a legal requirement by the law they set out themselves, that we must park up for adequate rest, so it MUST not be ignored by them if only for that reason alone.

You can’t organise a proper game of football with all the rules, and not provide goalposts…oops there I go again Frangers. :smiley:

The big question is why no private company is filling this void ?

If I had the money it would be a no brainer, you sell something for 24 hours and next day you sell it again. If you get the location right it should be a money maker.

thehairyarsedtrucker:

If I had the money it would be a no brainer, you sell something for 24 hours and next day you sell it again. If you get the location right it should be a money maker.

Can’t get planning permission as we saw on the A10 mnear Cheshunt when the government wanted to build a road to rail hub, the land is worth more as commercial warehousing as we can see by Alconbury and now Lockerbie truckstops being sold so the land can be used to put up warehousing.

I tried to raise the issue at the official hearing into our Borough Council’s Local (housing) Plan Review under the suit-speak heading of “Sustainability” that all the development companies’ wiggies were so keen about. The Inspector from HMG didn’t understand what I was talking about, didn’t want to know, and told me that it was irrelevant and to shut up.

Conor:

thehairyarsedtrucker:

Can’t get planning permission as we saw on the A10 mnear Cheshunt when the government wanted to build a road to rail hub, the land is worth more as commercial warehousing as we can see by Alconbury and now Lockerbie truckstops being sold so the land can be used to put up warehousing.

That is the crux of the problem. Capitalism working great but no bloody use when you do not have places to park. Government should put in legislation that parking needs to be provided for HGV’s once over a certain threshold.

Some do seem to be listening. The old Lidl Belvedere is like Baghdad on a good day. People just dumping their lorries where they can because of no parking. The new one they have built seems to have plenty of parking. Saying that people will use it as an advantage to night out. Then it will most likely end up a mess again.

Yes, new build warehouses and transportation hubs should be forced to include facilities for the very people who ensure their operation functions at all.
[/quote]
Great idea it works on the continent, trouble here is you won’t get any facilities because they always get vandalised and abused,why who knows. Any places that supply them quickly remove for this reason. Too many moronic rain dead steering wheel attendants out there

So often when it comes to infrastructure being built in this country, the barrier is always getting it through planning and the battle against the NIMBYs worried about their house value and local councillors scared of losing votes. It’s why I always laugh off the mob who bang on about “get freight on the railways”… yea, so you won’t mind the new railway line being ran through your local greenbelt and freight terminal built anywhere near your town? No… thought not :unamused:

What I will say about the much lamented lack of driver facilities though, is that I don’t see too many transport companies sticking their hands in their pockets to invest in any of it. I’ve been in transport yards where even the facilities laid on for their own drivers are dog rough with no evidence of any decent investment in years. Lots of firms not even keen on paying for parking but happy for their drivers to nip into new & refurbished truck stops & services and use the showers for nothing. Seems a lot just want double yellow lines on estates taken up so they can park for nowt and facilities dished up on a plate by others.

thehairyarsedtrucker:

Truck stops are not a viable business solely for o/n parking consequently they get used as trailer parks and changeover points.Drivers can`t get to sleep because of the banging about during the night so they go in to shower etc and then find a layby to park.

robroy:
It amazes me that in this country of red hot ‘Health and Safety’ that it only applies to drivers in this industry in a negative sense to them., where 9 times out of 10 ‘H&S’ is going to [zb] up your day in assorted ways at some time or another. :unamused:
BUT…when it comes to real issues that NEED addressed,. like proper parking facilities concentrating on driver welfare ,…‘H&S’ FOR us is conveniently ignored.
So.[zb] annoying. :imp:

Why I got the hell away from driving lorries. H&S only really covers accident/injury claims no consideration for real issues and genuine driver welfare.

all amazon wharehouses built shound have parking as standard for drivers waiting or on time for at least 40 units with toilets and showers supplied.but local councils will not insist on it as some think that most go to the nearby motorway services.a lot are built on new estates which do not have any otehr units being built so it not be that hard to provide whats needed at all.just a shame locals do no object to the new wharehouses unless parking is added for drivers.as all they do is moan when they see trucks parked up close to their homes.so why not complain about it before they start building them