HGV medical rip-off!

I had my medical yesterday to renew my HGV entitlement. As I’m now 66 I need to do this on a yearly basis :cry: :cry: :cry: My own doctor, (who gets paid an awful lot for my very infrequent visits over the last 40 years) wanted £140 this time, an increase of £20 on last year. I once again declined to pay this amount for (to quote the doctor I did consult) “ticking a few boxes”. The bill was £55 the same as last year!! Guess where I’ll be going next year if I decide to renew it then■■? Ps. the eye test was a bit different as you now have to read the chart with the light behind it, (it’s called a glare test.) Anyone in the area who wants to use this doctor for their medical send me a pm. Regards Kev, or if the mods are ok I’ll put the details on here.

Hey, I know that here the same some olds who want to work are robbed as far as the can. And other unemployed get if for free after there unwanted training,and never start driving. What a wonderfull Euroregulations for the ones who want to work.

Cheers Eric,

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106565&p=1603902&hilit=medical#p1603902
I wonder if this would work for those over age 65 ?

kevmac47:
I had my medical yesterday to renew my HGV entitlement. As I’m now 66 I need to do this on a yearly basis :cry: :cry: :cry: My own doctor, (who gets paid an awful lot for my very infrequent visits over the last 40 years) wanted £140 this time, an increase of £20 on last year. I once again declined to pay this amount for (to quote the doctor I did consult) “ticking a few boxes”. The bill was £55 the same as last year!! Guess where I’ll be going next year if I decide to renew it then■■? Ps. the eye test was a bit different as you now have to read the chart with the light behind it, (it’s called a glare test.) Anyone in the area who wants to use this doctor for their medical send me a pm. Regards Kev, or if the mods are ok I’ll put the details on here.

Well Kev my last medical was £70.00, At my local doctor where I have gone since the medicals were first introduced, But Im going to retire next year as Im not doing this DCPC, Which IMO Is a money making exercise, Plus Ive heard that the medical fee has increased also, So like ive said Im retiring from wagon driving, Mind you I have enjoyed driving wagons all my life & will miss it, But that’s the way things go isn’t it , It comes to us all, Happy days, Regards Larry.

Its not the cost I am worried about, I went to my GP knowing I was paying a little over the odds but it was easier. It was once I had sent it off to the DVLA that the problem started. Its been 11 weeks now and my application is just waiting in a queue according to the DVLA!!!

You’ve got that right Larry. I’m not going to do the stupid nonsense either - if nearly 50 years of major accident and endorsement free driving does not qualify me as competent then stuff 'em.

It breaks my heart but, as you say, it’s the way things go.

David

used doctors on wheels last time at carlisle truck stop. 55 quid at the weekend. good service. and do locations around the country. need another next year and will probably use them again. Mick 64

Hi, folks , My first one was 4 pounds and was lucky my last employer for 15 years paid for all our medicals ,drivers cards ,and cpc ,s ,Cheers Barry

David Miller:
You’ve got that right Larry. I’m not going to do the stupid nonsense either - if nearly 50 years of major accident and endorsement free driving does not qualify me as competent then stuff 'em.

It breaks my heart but, as you say, it’s the way things go.

David

hi dave . ditto m8 . over fifty years on the track and clean licence more luck than anything . iff that dont warant u keeping your hgv . stuff em .

My Doctor wanted £100 back in March for mine but couldn’t give me an appointment they said they would phone/e-mail me when they could fit me in,I paid £40 at a surgery in Rickleton in the end,it was after hours me and 2 taxi drivers were there we were in and out in about half an hour

Been paying £30 for the last 5 years for mine!

I did not pay for my last one (just turned 45) as my wife works at a surgery (but not where im registered) , I did ask for a receipt as well but he did not give me one (bloody cheek ) :laughing:

If anyone has cheap medical info then post it in this thread and perhaps a mod will add it to this - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19955

b.waddy:
Hi, folks , My first one was 4 pounds and was lucky my last employer for 15 years paid for all our medicals ,drivers cards ,and cpc ,s ,Cheers Barry

Well my first one was free, The local Dr a Mr Jack White said just by me a pint in the pub the next time I see you, He thought it was very unfair for HGV Drivers to have to pay out of their own pocket he said it should be covered by NHS payments out of our wages, Regards Larry.

my first one was free back in 76 my old then doctor said to me “can you read the chart son” yes I said " you`ll do then " my last 5 years ago cost £100 I have just let my hgv and psv or whatever they call them now lapse as I have not drove for years and would not like to start now reading this web site and the way the job is now.
A little tale on this note one of my dads brothers was a black taxi driver in london in the 50s and 60s well he had a dodgy eye and my dad and all his brothers had the same doctor in holloway road called fitzgerald and he always got their names wrong so my uncle always got his younger brother to take his medical for him happy days , it could still work now I think as there are about 8 doctors at mine and I only know 2 of them not that I would of course :unamused: :unamused: happy christmas all fredm

Hiya…Do you know you never really loose your licence, well when your the magic age to have a rest.
if you let your licence go then maybe a couple of years pass and for some reason you need your lgv as
long as you do your medical you can get your ticket back. you might win the lottery and want a huge
motorhome and you need a ticket to drive it…i think you can let them lapse for 10 years and still get
them back.
John

Let mine lapse and would not want it back now

Ive let mine lapse at 62 got made redundant 6 years ago as you age the type of job you can get diminishes so all thats left are the lowest of the low or agency’s

3300John:
Hiya…Do you know you never really loose your licence, well when your the magic age to have a rest.
if you let your licence go then maybe a couple of years pass and for some reason you need your lgv as
long as you do your medical you can get your ticket back. you might win the lottery and want a huge
motorhome and you need a ticket to drive it…i think you can let them lapse for 10 years and still get
them back.
John

No time limit

Well I’ve never paid for mine, until I moved to wiltshire and had my last one at 55 and then it only cost me £45.00. It was one of them traveling docs met him at nunny catch, truck stop… Best £45 quid I’ve spent…that was over two years ago… If you look in truck mags and free papers, you can find them…