HGV LGV TRAINING

I know plenty has been raised on this subject, I would like to add a few tips for people thinking about booking their training. The fact is, lots of people use the internet to look for providers and as such I think these tips using the internet will avoid some pitfalls.

These few steps helped me avoid giving my money away.

1. If your looking at this you know how to use the internet, do a google search of the company your looking at, and look at the results further down the page, there maybe reviews, warnings or even links to this site.
  2. Put their name in HERE or HERE, Most training companies are registered LTD, the info that comes up can give you a basic impression of how they operate, late accounts, freshly incorporated, lots of name changes, maybe a sign that they should be avoided.
  3. Use google again, for the registered office/address, if you see results for virtual office space or mailing addresses then please avoid.
  4. BOOK WITH A CREDIT CARD not a debit card, paypal or money/bank transfer, even if the credit card is not yours, ie a friends/relative, then you should be able to get your money back if it goes wrong. Most genuine training companies will ask for a small deposit to secure the test/booking. IF your booking at this stage then with all due respect your an idiot :open_mouth: .
  5. As other threads suggest go and see the company look at their vehicles, book a free assessment drive.
  6. Repeat 5 as required until you find a company that your happy with.
  7. NOW you can do number 4 and if your comfortable, a debit card/cash should suffice and get a receipt/confirmation.

Ditto. Really good post that might save people loadsamoney. Just a couple of minor points; don’t pay too much attention to the “Company Financials”. They show a tiny part of the story and can be very misleading. In fact, according to the info there, it’s time I closed down!!!

And yes, always visit the trainer and make sure you’re happy before you part with any money. The only exception to this is rock solid recommendation.

Thanks for an excellent post. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Also be aware that most small trainers are not limited companies. Doesn’t make them bad in any way. But their information is not publicly available. ie no way of knowing if they are financially sound. But following the other advice should keep you safe. Beware of the “only take cash mate” trainers.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete for the input and some valid points, I think the important bit though is google like mad, 20 minutes of googling can dissuade you from potentially losing thousands.

Thank you for the useful post, I’m thinking about taking a course in HGV LGV Driving as my Uncle has a fleet and I’d like to go work with him.

I know that it may sound a bit silly but is there anything that I need to know before I decide to take a course?
Thanks,

Andrew

AndrewBlaine:
is there anything that I need to know before I decide to take a course?
Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum.

There is a host of information on these forums, start with the relevant ‘stickies’ at the top of this forum. If you still have questions or need further advice, post again here. Many people on here have said, “the only stupid question is the one not asked”, so don’t worry about asking anything.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and however you do it.

Alan

i passed modualar 4 on monday, and passed practical driving today!!! i read up for modular 4, but found most questions were just common sense, the only thing i would advise would be to get a daily check book, the trainer i used had one in the cab, and when asked about daily checks i just used this book, going through the sheet using verbal and show me answers, and ticking the boxes on the sheet when checks were complete.hope this helps, any further advice, feel free to ask, cheers

Re: point 4 paying by credit card, it should be YOUR card, if someone pays for you and you give them the money then technically it’s not covered by Section 75.

Great post MADBAZ. I would also recommend on googling the names of the training company’s owners. Sometimes you will be really surprised with the results. Too many scammers out there.

All good advice but as Peter says don’t take too much notice of financial reports…all training providers had a hard time during the worst of the recession may lost considerable amounts of money and wre held up by their owners…like Peter we were no exception to that.

if you are worried they might go bust then ask the MD if he is prepaired th personally guarantee your money…I have done this for some poor guys who have been ripped off by nationals going bust with their money.

All the best Rick

Does anyone of you guys know a company called: Abbies Driving School , they a small office in Plaistow , East London, and they do their LGV training Class 2 in Enfield. The guy who does LGV training is Ray.
I’ve done some google searching, but nothing comes out for LGV, there is some info about regular car lessons, and nothing else.
I couldn’t find anything about them on the this website.
I would appreciate if anyone could post some info about them.
Thanks

hkloss1:
Does anyone of you guys know a company called: Abbies Driving School , they a small office in Plaistow , East London, and they do their LGV training Class 2 in Enfield. The guy who does LGV training is Ray.
I’ve done some google searching, but nothing comes out for LGV, there is some info about regular car lessons, and nothing else.
Thanks

abbiesdrivingschool.co.uk/Assets/hgv.html
I called them - they do not have their own LGV but have some sort of business relationship with a LGV trainer who does have their own lorry

Personally I would go to someone who does have their own lorry

There is an other driving school in Hayes, West London, called: GuaranteedPass
guaranteedpass.co.uk/

Has anyone of you heard about them at all?

The other question I would have is whether it is better to learn for your C lince to drive a 18 tonnes rigid lorry such as Scania 94D ( there are some schools that use them) or is it better to learn to drive on a smaller lorry, 13 - 16 tonnes, or even 11 tonnes ones ( I think I was told by one of the schools they use them)?

Thanks in advance

ROG:

hkloss1:
Thanks

abbiesdrivingschool.co.uk/Assets/hgv.html
I called them - they do not have their own LGV but have some sort of business relationship with a LGV trainer who does have their own lorry

Personally I would go to someone who does have their own lorry

Thank you ROG for a quick reply.
Do they sound legit to you?

hkloss1:
There is an other driving school in Hayes, West London, called: GuaranteedPass
guaranteedpass.co.uk/

Has anyone of you heard about them at all?

The other question I would have is whether it is better to learn for your C lince to drive a 18 tonnes rigid lorry such as Scania 94D ( there are some schools that use them) or is it better to learn to drive on a smaller lorry, 13 - 16 tonnes, or even 11 tonnes ones ( I think I was told by one of the schools they use them)?

Thanks in advance

I have never seen any posts where those learning in a smaller LGV have had major issues when driving a larger one for the first time

guaranteedpass.co.uk/why-sho … dpass.html
They are saying all the right things

hkloss1:
Do they sound legit to you?

There were honest enough to state they did not have their own lorry and used a business partner which says a lot IMO

OK, after digging a bit deeper and visiting a few of these training companies I have a couple of other questions to you, experienced guys:

1. I’ve visited some training companies and they had 8.5m long lorry with GVW of 13 tonnes.
    Driving this actually felt like driving a large van, as the gear box is an easy one, no switching anything to change from lower four gears to higher four gears, so passing a test in one of these small lorries should be much easier than lets say more realistic, used by transporting industry 18 tonnes lorry with a switch for switching those gears.
    I’m thinking taking a training in a proper lorry, 18 tonnes one, with a switch gear, might be a better idea as whenever you apply for a job and you show you have your C licence, companies don’t just give you a lorry to drive , they actualy send one of their experienced drivers to check whether you actually can drive that large lorry. So, what’s the point in passing your driving test in a small and short lorry, if you won’t be trained to drive a proper , large lorry. Am I thinking right?
  2. Assuming I went for an 18 tonnes lorry, how important it is to learn to drive in a newer lorry? I’m thinking older lorries have their gears messed up and since mastering how to use them is a very important part of the driving test, it might be better to avoid those old overused lorries that after being used for many years in haulage industry, at the end of their lives these lorries are being used to train new drivers.
    What do you think guys?

ALL LGV category C lorries used for the DSA test MUST have at least 8 forward gears ratios

I am guessing that you saw a ‘slap box’ which is 4 lower gears on the left then slap it hard right to use the same slots for the 4 higher gears ?

You could have a straight 6 where each of those gears split in two

You could have a 4 over 4 which used a switch

As for autos - there are loads of different ones

Whatever you learn in you will always come across other types

size of LGV - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92814

As long as the truck is well kept and maintained then it makes no difference between new or old

ROG:
ALL LGV category C lorries used for the DSA test MUST have at least 8 forward gears ratios

I am guessing that you saw a ‘slap box’ which is 4 lower gears on the left then slap it hard right to use the same slots for the 4 higher gears ?

You could have a straight 6 where each of those gears split in two

You could have a 4 over 4 which used a switch

As for autos - there are loads of different ones

Whatever you learn in you will always come across other types

size of LGV - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92814

As long as the truck is well kept and maintained then it makes no difference between new or old

Those smaller lorries I saw today and drove had all 8 gear boxes and yes, they were those “slap boxes” with 4 lower gears on the left then slap it hard right to use the same slot for the 4 higher gears.
I’ve seen that other thread you’ve attached above, and I’m not surprised those guys that run those driving schools aree pushing those smaller vehicles as they are much more attractive for an average learned as every one wants to pass his test spending as little money as possible, they are cheaper to run, use less fuel, and it is easier to convice a potential customer to use his school to learn with the school that uses those smaller vehicles.
But something tells me that the person who passed his test in a larger vehicle might be much more attractive candidate to be employed by an employer and also might more quickly be ready to learn to drive an artic.
I might be wrong as I’m only just looking for a C training and would love be proven wrong by one of the more experienced guys that actualy drive large lorries for a living.

I dont think employers ask what vehicle you passed in - I have never heard a candidate for a job say that they have