HGV LGV TRAINING

I have another question.
When I chose my driving school, should I be asking for some kind of contract before I start learning to drive, to make sure that I have something official in writing in case I cause an accident while learning to drive.
Do respectfull driving schools issue contracts before you start learning to drive with them?
If so, what should such written contract include?

Thanks

hkloss1:
I have another question.
When I chose my driving school, should I be asking for some kind of contract before I start learning to drive, to make sure that I have something official in writing in case I cause an accident while learning to drive.
Do respectfull driving schools issue contracts before you start learning to drive with them?
If so, what should such written contract include?

Thanks

I have never heard of a written contract being issued to a trainee

if anybody in Ayrshire or south Glasgow are intrested there are 2 great companys.

1 is run by a lady called Pat, cant remember her second name but she runs Highfield Heavies, she runs out of her house near Dalry, and has both class 1 and 2, the ridged sits at her house and most of the time so does her tractor unit, it is only her but has been doing it for around 10 years now and is very good, it is 2 ERFs she runs, the vehicles on her website are her old units that i passed both my tests in, but has got newer units now.

2 is Jim Mair, he does both classes and are both good vehicles, and i think he has 2 of each unit, I have had a couple of friend use him and they say he is very good aswell.

Pat usualy runs around Glasgow and uses the Bishupbriggs(canny spell lol) and Ji, Mair runs out of the test center in Kilmarnock

both are very good and i would recomend either companys to anybody that is thinking of doing training in these areas

I’ve passed my theory and hazard perception test last year, and I passed my class 2 practical test yesterday. Im just a bit confused with the case studies test or cpc. Any help please. Thanks

pwllheliwil:
I’ve passed my theory and hazard perception test last year, and I passed my class 2 practical test yesterday. Im just a bit confused with the case studies test or cpc. Any help please. Thanks

Plenty on those in the newbies forum

the mod 4 is a sticky !!

hello ,
welcome to you on this forum site.
I am transport businessman. I have 4 trucks and these all driven by trucker, i have little bit knowledge of driving but want to learn drive. what will the best training way. suggest me please. thanks

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

martingary1803:
hello ,
welcome to you on this forum site.
I am transport businessman. I have 4 trucks and these all driven by trucker, i have little bit knowledge of driving but want to learn drive. what will the best training way. suggest me please. thanks

As you have 4 LGVs then I suggest this … if they are Rigids …

Get a D4 form medical = about £50 - any more and you have been fleeced !!
On the D2 form tick C & D nothing else as that will always cover medicals for LGVs and PCVS in the future
Scan all sides of card and paper licence then send them as well as D4 and D2 forms in registered letter to DVLA

Once you have the LGV (and PCV) provisionals on the paper licence come back from DVLA you can start the theory processes
If you do not already have a LGV C1 on your licence, perhaps from passing car test before 1997, then you will also need to do the initial LGV driver CPC modules 2 and 4 in order to drive LGVs commercially
If you already have a C1 on licence then you will need to complete 35 hours of periodic dcpc before 09/09/2014 to drive lgvs commercially after that date

Having the provisionals means you can go out with your own drivers in LGV class C rigid trucks if they have held that for at least 3 years BUT I would recommend doing at least one day with a proper LGV school first so you know what you need to do for the DSA test so it sets you off on the right path - L plates, normal car ones, needed for front and rear of truck as well as correct insurance

Instead of booking the usual 5 day course I would book a lesson from the school perhaps one day a week as well as going out for practice in your own trucks - that way you can put in for the test when you and the school think you are ready

Hi all Newbie here, i’m 36 and from Norfolk, just about to do my C licence training.

Did I just read above that all I have to do is scan my photo licence and counterpart and not send the originals to the DVLA ?

kirk’yboy:
Hi all Newbie here, i’m 36 and from Norfolk, just about to do my C licence training.

Did I just read above that all I have to do is scan my photo licence and counterpart and not send the originals to the DVLA ?

Sorry, I should have been clearer - the scanned copies are for you to keep in case DVLA ■■■■■ up with the originals

Ahh I see, good idea, by the way, how much is it gonna cost me for this digital tachograph driver card ?

kirk’yboy:
Ahh I see, good idea, by the way, how much is it gonna cost me for this digital tachograph driver card ?

I think it is £38 off the top of my head and that can be obtained as long as you have a B licence photocard because the DVLA use the photo from your current driving licence

So apart from the provisional licence, training, test, medical, tacho card and cpc course are there any other costs involved ?

When you fail the test you need to pay for another test and the hire of the lorry and instructor to accompany you to the test centre.

Hi first post, completely new to the HGV industry am currently looking for training provider. Anyone have any info in ‘HGV EXPRESS’? the guy I spoke to seems really nice, very helpful, price doesn’t seem unreasonable and apparently they have an 86%-90% pass rate. He claims they have training facilities nationwide, even one local to me run by them plus they offer a work placement programme which apparently many firms don’t offer? The few reviews online are mostly good however I never trust these reviews as someone internal at the company could be writing them you never know. Anyway it seems like he’s telling me everything I want to hear, it all sounds great but theres something I just don’t trust. plus he’s been very pushy about me putting down a deposit even though I told him I don’t have the money currently.

Anyone shed any light on this company before I part with my hard earned cash?

cheers

jakeh1989:
Hi first post, completely new to the HGV industry am currently looking for training provider. Anyone have any info in ‘HGV EXPRESS’? the guy I spoke to seems really nice, very helpful, price doesn’t seem unreasonable and apparently they have an 86%-90% pass rate. He claims they have training facilities nationwide, even one local to me run by them plus they offer a work placement programme which apparently many firms don’t offer? The few reviews online are mostly good however I never trust these reviews as someone internal at the company could be writing them you never know. Anyway it seems like he’s telling me everything I want to hear, it all sounds great but theres something I just don’t trust. plus he’s been very pushy about me putting down a deposit even though I told him I don’t have the money currently.

cheers

hgvexpress.co.uk/about/

We have DSA approved training centres across the whole of the UK,

There is the obvious clue as no LGV training school has a nationwide coverage = IT IS A BROKER with very nice sales people in an office who act as middlemen and want their cut

Do not pay any money for practical training until you go and meet the owner/instructor of a school

Before going any further check out all the stickies at the top of this forum

This is what i thought thanks for the reply ROG

You have found one crowd of lying zb already.I think you should ask possible employers if they think that they might offer you a job after passing your tests.Dont bother asking agencies,refer to my first sentence.

ROG:

jakeh1989:

cheers

hgvexpress.co.uk/about/

We have DSA approved training centres across the whole of the UK,

There is the obvious clue as no LGV training school has a nationwide coverage = IT IS A BROKER with very nice sales people in an office who act as middlemen and want their cut

Do not pay any money for practical training until you go and meet the owner/instructor of a school

Ha ha soon as I got 3 lines into that post where it said 89% pass rate, I said broker. NEVER GO WITH ONE and ask the questions and you will soon trip the barstewards up :smiley: :smiley:

I have had an assessment drive (C+E) with Red Rose (Kearsley, Bolton.) today and was told I need 16 hours. The instructor was a nice bloke and made it an enjoyable process.
Can’t wait to start. I’m currently driving a class 2 for a large multi national, the money is good but the job is :frowning: . I have been wanting to do it for some time but have been putting it off for fear of failing the test - but it’s now time to bite the bullet.