HGV jobs that don't require strapping

I’m getting a bit browned off going to pick up loads that have been loaded only to find it two pallets high and/or the internal straps buried. I do make the fork truck driver unload what needs unloading, but the whole process ends up taking about an hour and I’m sick of it. The fork truck drivers attitude is I’m the only one that moans and I’m just a pain in the arse.

Am I right in thinking that fridge work doesn’t require you to secure the load? because ideally I’d like to be doing something where I can perform on a level playing field. Currently I’m always going to be the slow driver because i will never be able to match the heros that just close the curtains and drive off.

Tippers mate, tippers.

Chuck 30 tonne of stuff in the back, forget about it. Arrive at your destination, pull a lever.

Repeat.

Bulk tipper scrap metal work, only have to open the back doors a couple of times a day.

Contraflow:
Tippers mate, tippers.

Chuck 30 tonne of stuff in the back, forget about it. Arrive at your destination, pull a lever.

Repeat.

Doesn’t pay enough mate. It’s gotta be class 1.

Fridges and box trailers is all I’ve driven so far and neither has required any strap work.

What sort of stuff do you carry? Internal straps are only good for a pallet upto 400kg anything over then the DVSA will expect you to use rachet straps if they do a check. If however your company have load bearing curtains and the load is right upto the headboard and there are no gaps between pallets then you don’t need to strap the load, maybe just put 2 internals across the back 2 pallets across each other.
You don’t get the forkie to unload a full load of say something of the weight of bog rolls or boxes of crisps do you? If so then it’s being a bit silly really because the full load won’t probably weigh over 2 tonne and 2 internals across the back 2 pallets would suffice.
Why don’t you do box jockey work? Paid to sleep on the bed or watch TV/ read a book.

Contraflow:
Tippers mate, tippers.

Repeat.

And hopefully you get a tipper trailer with an easy sheet and automatic tailgate so two buttons to press too :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Dont know whether the op could handle it though :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Tris:

Contraflow:
Tippers mate, tippers.

Repeat.

Really■■? LOL I’m on bulk tipper class 1 and i’m on good money :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

You can try pulling a fridge without securing the load but make sure you have deep pockets tip a pallet of tomatoes over and you can kiss goodbye to the best part of 2 grand a pallet of prime steak will cost you 3 grand, so yes you do have to secure fridge loads but at least it is just with the aid of 3 or 4 gas bars. There was a photo kicking about a while back of one of Stobarts where all the meat bins had come out the back doors of a fridge he probably thought you didn’t need to secure fridge loads either

Tris:

Contraflow:
Tippers mate, tippers.

Repeat.

30 tonne of stuff.

Not 30 tonne of lorry and stuff.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
You don’t get the forkie to unload a full load of say something of the weight of bog rolls or boxes of crisps do you?

No, but I would if that’s what was stacked two pallets high. I know the law Is stupid and that such a load is never going to get shed, but I can still get done for it.

Load has still got to be secured on fridge work, may not move sideways but it’ll still go forwards or backwards.

Containers. 4 twistlocks job done

Tris:
Am I right in thinking that fridge work doesn’t require you to secure the load?

It’s not just fridge work that doesn’t need straps, pretty much any work that’s done in solid sided vehicles, ie fridge work, most parcel delivery companies, a lot of retail delivery work, all just use bars for security, there may be odd occasions to use straps to secure empty trolleys or whatever but that’s easy enough.

Contraflow:
Tippers mate, tippers.
Repeat.

My kind of work…lol :grimacing:

And fridge or box trailer work of course loads need to be secured, from what I remember they use them tension bars… along with pallets if required…

tango boy:

Contraflow:
Tippers mate, tippers.

Repeat.

And hopefully you get a tipper trailer with an easy sheet and automatic tailgate so two buttons to press too :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Dont know whether the op could handle it though :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I’m not moaning about doing it, just the time it takes compared to the drivers that don’t bother. I want to work on a level playing field and not be the slow coach. So think I need a job that either requires no strapping, or one where sticking to the rules is essential. Fuel/chemical tanker appeals to me in this respect.

lappland life 186.JPGEasiest job iv’e ever had.Load 40t,take it about 5kms then tip it.Start again.Off road in a mine so no police,tachos etc.10hrs a day for 7 Days then 7 Days free. App £15 per hr.
Maybe a bit of a commute for you though. :laughing:

Tris:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
You don’t get the forkie to unload a full load of say something of the weight of bog rolls or boxes of crisps do you?

No, but I would if that’s what was stacked two pallets high. I know the law Is stupid and that such a load is never going to get shed, but I can still get done for it.

Why would bog roll be double stacked?

Tris:

Contraflow:
Tippers mate, tippers.

Repeat.

Class 1 tippers around here pays better than general haulage.

No straps required, not even a part load.