HGV driving Health risks

Was thinking the other day, have there been any studies or does anyone know if HGV driving carries any inherent health risks? I dont mean accidents, more like respiratory problems due to exposure to vehicle emmissions etc. Do our modern cabs ‘filter’ any of the crap out of the air in the cab? Is motorway driving not so bad for fumes as they tend to be fast moving and in the countryside? Ive only been driving for 10 years and Im 51, and was wondering if this career will hasten my meeting with the reaper!

If you’re worried about that then dont go outside. Don’t go to the shops, don’t go to the pub, don’t go anywhere that isn’t vacuum sealed or doesn’t have surgical levels of air filtration. Perhaps buy a chemical weapons suit and filtration mask and walk around in that too.

The reality is that the vast amount of HGVs are now Euro 6 and have vastly fewer emissions than any truck previously.

I’d suggest the greater health risk is the sedentary lifestyle this job tends to engender. Its why I never really minded a few minutes walking doing a self tip at an Aldi or Lidl.

Lack of excercise and poor diet are a big health factor along with the long working hours and of course stress. Not a great combination but easily avoided if you cut those factors out. I say easily but the reality is, it is not that easy as it involves a lifestyle change.

If I’m being loaded and its not raining I go for a walk, I don’t just sit in the cab. I do exercise at home (rower, treadmill, weights, cycling) so I’m not worried about the ‘lifestyle’ of HGV driving. I eat healthily, never eat fry-ups etc.

If I’m at the same risk as everyone else regarding the air I’m breathing, then that’s fine, I will pass on the spacesuit thanks.

The air has never been cleaner, truck emissions have never been cleaner.
So don’t believe all the green hype and b/s put about by those with a vested interest.

I remember following convoys of trucks in the 80s , 150 and 180 Gardners and 220 ■■■■■■■ (google em :unamused: ) fully loaded,.struggling uphill, (no jokes about ‘Uphill.Gardeners’ please) with clouds of what looked like thick fog,.with the stink of fuel and strong exhaust fumes getting in your cab all day.

Only potential health issues are in your own hands, lack of excercise, not eating properly and if when you do eat it’s fried greasy crap, bringing on indigestion and worse…ulcers.

Then there’s the piece de resistance…'‘The.Farmer Giles’'with sitting on yer arse all day, and constipation with eating previously mentioned crap.

Love the reference to wearing masks, implying it is ridiculous (which it is btw) …think back 2 years. :bulb: :unamused:

^^^^

WHAt sticks in my mind is not so much the smell of diesel fumes, but the smell of oil burning in the exhaust as the worn out old knackers were on the over run down the long banks on the motorways. Something which is very rare to experience these days.

cav551:
^^^^

WHAt sticks in my mind is not so much the smell of diesel fumes, but the smell of oil burning in the exhaust as the worn out old knackers were on the over run down the long banks on the motorways. Something which is very rare to experience these days.

I followed an old 70s ERF on it’s way to a show in my car,.it was empty so not pulling hard.
The stink off it was terrible, but you never noticed it in those days, it was just normal.

I am convinced that working alternating shift patterns, i.e. days to nights and visa versa, on and off for the past forty years has had detrimental effects on my health. I now work regular hours sleeping better and feeling more refreshed. Choice again I would never have taken such jobs no matter how much extra I was paid.

Cronus:
I am convinced that working alternating shift patterns, i.e. days to nights and visa versa, on and off for the past forty years has had detrimental effects on my health. I now work regular hours sleeping better and feeling more refreshed. Choice again I would never have taken such jobs no matter how much extra I was paid.

One of the many reasons I went for and prefer tramping, and why I do it in the proper way.
Done this job a long time now, but despite that I am still healthy with no stress or any of the usual job related illnesses or conditions,…(maybe if I had still had my own motors things would have been a lot different on that score :unamused: ) and that is because I do not get stressed out about anything, especially the job,.I eat properly, I sleep properly,.I don’t start at ■■■■ stupid times in a morning, and I don.t run around like my arse is on fire to impress anybody.
The job is as good or as crap.as YOU make it for yourself. :bulb:

Knackered shoulders…

From pulling on curtains and poles in the wind. Decidedly dodgy right elbow from palming the wheel over the decades. Painful neck from shunting on nights. Bad back from shoving a pallet to one side in my 20s.

I’m in better shape than many of my esteemed colleagues.

yourhavingalarf:
Knackered shoulders…

From pulling on curtains and poles in the wind. Decidedly dodgy right elbow from palming the wheel over the decades. Painful neck from shunting on nights. Bad back from shoving a pallet to one side in my 20s.

I’m in better shape than many of my esteemed colleagues.

Aye that just reminded me,.I was maybe a bit hasty saying I had no I’ll effects of the job.
I too have dodgy upper arms with pulling (no not that :smiley: ) on curtains that are not maintained properly (apparentlly with my lot simple grease is an expensive commodity :unamused: )
I get the odd bad back now and again, but that may be nothing to do with the job.

robroy:
One of the many reasons I went for and prefer tramping, and why I do it in the proper way.

Done that too… day and night tramping back in the nineties. Missed much of my kids upbringing - but that’s another topic.

Cronus:

robroy:

Done that too… day and night tramping back in the nineties. Missed much of my kids upbringing - but that’s another topic.

Yep…I can relate to that, it’s the price you pay.
Way I saw it being at home unhappy in my job and having to keep turning up day after day being miserable (hate day runs and pressure to get back) would not make me very pleasant to live with from my wife’s pov,.which worse case scenario may have seen us eventually living apart…(maybe over thought, but there ya go :smiley: )
So I thought happy weekends only, at home with wife and kids is better than all week at home being ■■■■■■ off, and maybe becoming a ‘‘Weekend Dad’’ to the kids on cinema and bowling alley trips. :unamused:
Still together btw with 4 grown up (allegedly :unamused: :smiley: ) kids,.so vindicated. :smiley:

Swordsy:
Was thinking the other day, have there been any studies or does anyone know if HGV driving carries any inherent health risks? I dont mean accidents, more like respiratory problems due to exposure to vehicle emmissions etc. Do our modern cabs ‘filter’ any of the crap out of the air in the cab? Is motorway driving not so bad for fumes as they tend to be fast moving and in the countryside? Ive only been driving for 10 years and Im 51, and was wondering if this career will hasten my meeting with the reaper!

I dont know about the pollution but you dont have to worry about meeting the reaper if you trust in Jesus death on the cross as payment for your sins.
Happy Christmas!

Sploom:

Swordsy:

I dont know about the pollution but you dont have to worry about meeting the reaper if you trust in Jesus death on the cross as payment for your sins.
Happy Christmas!

Ah well…
It looks like it’s gonna be a case of…
How ya doing Mr Reaper,.I’m Rob…

Don’t believe in Santa either btw. :wink: :smiley:

Good luck with that one!
All our deeds ,good or bad will be laid bare on that day,but,anyway,I appreciate this is a trucking forum so I wont go on about it.
As for Santa,I always told my kids it was just a bit of fun but some people thought it was a terrible thing to not tell them he was real.Doesnt seem to have done them any harm…

Pretty valid question, especially historically as has been said on here. When you consider other professions have had related health issues. I can think of barstaff and passive smoking, builders with asbestosis, milk maids and cowpox, housemaids knee etc. So spacesuit barbs are quite unnecessary.

Sploom:
Good luck with that one!
All our deeds ,good or bad will be laid bare on that day,but,anyway,
I APPRECIATE THIS IS A TRUCKING FORUM SO I WON’T GO ON ABOUT IT
As for Santa,I always told my kids it was just a bit of fun but some people thought it was a terrible thing to not tell them he was real.Doesnt seem to have done them any harm…

Ok, to.get off topic for a minute…
I have always found it fascinating, not to mention a bit puzzling, that a lot of people in modern society still believe in superstitious beings (no offence intended btw)
I started this thread about it in fact a while back, you obviously missed it. :smiley:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … n#p2824560

So… If you do want to ‘‘go on about it’’ add to the thread and we’ll discuss it,.I’d be happy to in fact.
I’m sat here waiting to take the wife to work, not much else on today until tonight, so who knows…you may even convert me. :open_mouth: :smiley:
(Good luck with that one though. :laughing: )

As for Santa :smiley: , it is a bit of fun, but imo it is important (loosely speaking) for kids to be told it.
In a good way, mostly if only for the enjoyment and happiness it brings to a kids life…I see it as a part of their growing up.
I still have a pic of my now 30+ year old daughter sat with Santa when she was about 4 or 5.
, I will never forget the look on her face that day, it was lovely .
AND,.wait for it.

…It was the REAL Santa, not one of his helpers who dress up.as him. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

robroy:

Sploom:

Swordsy:

Happy Christmas!

Ah well…

And I’ll bet his retort will be “G’day Rob, I’ve been waiting a long time for you.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Star down under.:

robroy:

Sploom:

Swordsy:

Happy Christmas!

Ah well…

And I’ll bet his retort will be “G’day Rob, I’ve been waiting a long time for you.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Knowing my luck, his hooded gown will be red and white stripes …he’ll be a ■■■■ Sunderland fan. :open_mouth: :laughing: