HGV driver dies in A38 crash involving three Army trucks

My condolences to the family and friends of the lorry driver.

birminghammail.co.uk/news/m … h-21730185

I guess the army lorries were doing their usual trick of trundling along at 30-40MPH but unlike tractors they tend not to have orange beacons flashing to let everyone know about the hazard they cause. They’re a bloody menace. Being within 10 miles of the largest defence school of driving we have to put up with these morons on a daily basis. They can manage to do 56MPH when they’re in civvy lorries learning to drive but once they get in those military ones they seem incapable of going faster than 40 and I know for a fact those lorries do the same as every other one as I’ve driven them.

I’d like to hope that the army drivers got done for driving without due care because of their dawdling down a major dual carriageway at 30-40MPH but I doubt anything will happen other than social media having a go at the driver who died for running into the vehicle one of our “heroes” was driving.

Conor:
I guess the army lorries were doing their usual trick of trundling along at 30-40MPH but unlike tractors they tend not to have orange beacons flashing to let everyone know about the hazard they cause. They’re a bloody menace. Being within 10 miles of the largest defence school of driving we have to put up with these morons on a daily basis. They can manage to do 56MPH when they’re in civvy lorries learning to drive but once they get in those military ones they seem incapable of going faster than 40 and I know for a fact those lorries do the same as every other one as I’ve driven them.

I’d like to hope that the army drivers got done for driving without due care because of their dawdling down a major dual carriageway at 30-40MPH but I doubt anything will happen other than social media having a go at the driver who died for running into the vehicle one of our “heroes” was driving.

I can tell you have never been in the military and no absoulte nothing about it.
Until you do maybe she could keep yer trap shut
It’s nothing todo with the driver of the truck driving at 40mph the truck does 56 it’s what’s on your movement order and your in a convoy.

An awful lot conclusions bring made from a small supply of hard facts it appears.

Themoocher:

Conor:
It’s nothing todo with the driver of the truck driving at 40mph the truck does 56 it’s what’s on your movement order and your in a convoy.

If your movement order said drive down the motorway at 5mph would you do that?

stu675:

Themoocher:

Conor:

If your movement order said drive down the motorway at 5mph would you do that?

But it wouldn’t say that would it, looking at the picture the rear military vehicle has been rear ended for whatever reason by the civilian vehicle, in the majority of cases if you rear end someone then it is your fault, it is of course perfectly feasible that there was a medical or mechanical issue but more than likely driver error.

Themoocher:
I can tell you have never been in the military and no absoulte nothing about it.

I’m ex-REME, a vehicle mechanic. I was posted at ASMT Leconfield after doing my basic at Rowcroft Barracks, Arborfield Garrison outside of Wokingham a couple of years before it was closed and my trade training at Bordon. I did my driver training there at ASMT Leconfield including FAM on everything with wheels the army had at the time. I also did convoy training there too.

ROFLMAO. Not quite sure you’ve been in the forces.

Very sad for all concerned, but, looking at the picture, I think there’s a bit more to it.
For one thing, if the Army convoy was doing 40mph, and the Scania rigid was travelling at 56mph, given that there would be a closing speed of 16mph, it would be awfully bad luck if a fatality was the result.

I agree with Conor. Army or not plodding along the motorway at 40mph without beacons is just stupid. Regardless if they have to maintain a set speed or not.

That being said if the HGV rear ended an Army truck doing 40mph that is some pretty bad driving. That being said it is all conjecture at the moment we dont know the facts.

adam277:
I agree with Conor. Army or not plodding along the motorway at 40mph without beacons is just stupid. Regardless if they have to maintain a set speed or not

Why do they do this? (not trolling) i have seen these convoys there doesn’t seem to be any reason for them going so slow.

Bin Man:

adam277:
I agree with Conor. Army or not plodding along the motorway at 40mph without beacons is just stupid. Regardless if they have to maintain a set speed or not

Why do they do this? (not trolling) i have seen these convoys there doesn’t seem to be any reason for them going so slow.

Maybe they are carrying something explosive. Maybe they have a lot of people in the back lol. They are not known for having great suspension.

adam277:

Bin Man:

adam277:

Maybe they are carrying something explosive. Maybe they have a lot of people in the back lol. They are not known for having great suspension.

The chances are they were on training and if that was the case they are new drivers with very little experience and the Instructors have to limit them to a certain speed (not their choice) and it would certainly not be a dangerous speed for the road.
They travel at a regulated distance from each other (never too close or tailgating) and have a warning convoy sign on the rear vehicle.

Nobody knows yet but the way some others drive with no room for error it’s easy to imagine how this accident could have happened.

A lot of drivers seem to disregard the fact there could be a slower moving vehicle or a vehicle with a fault.

Another sad event that probably should not have happened.

Conor:

Themoocher:

I’m ex-REME, a vehicle mechanic. I was posted at ASMT Leconfield after doing my basic at Rowcroft Barracks, Arborfield Garrison outside of Wokingham a couple of years before it was closed and my trade training at Bordon. I did my driver training there at ASMT Leconfield including FAM on everything with wheels the army had at the time. I also did convoy training there too.

Ah Rowcroft Barracks…you’re taking me back,mate…started my basic training back in January 1980.Because I could read and write,they wouldn’t let be a grease monkey,and made me fix electrickery things instead :laughing: :laughing: …unfortunately,they also taught me to drive a Bedford 4 tonner,which is why I’m on here now :unamused:

Conor:

Themoocher:

so let me guess.
when you were a young nig driving a wagon in a convoy.
you would wack your indicator on slip out convoy and make your own way up the dual carriagway and ■■■■ your troopie and stripey off and do your own thing.
I don’t ■■■■■■■ think so.
you do wat your told.

Bin Man:

adam277:

It’s not as simple as it seems mate.
What happens is a Motor transport warrant officer MTWO writes up a movement order for just say 100 vehicles with 400 troops to move from Salisbury barracks to otterburn training camp in the north east.

some vehicles drops for example are restricted to 40mph and belong to different companies or bty.
only certain people can drive different types of vehicles that you have on your FMT.
So you have to have all vehicles move of in a staggered formation with maybe a 20mims or 30mins between each packet of the convoy. So you end up with 15 separate convoys on the road from one regiment moving from point A to point b at the same time leaving with just say 20 minute intervals and traveling at the same speeds to not block up the roads and have a convoy with 100 vehicles at once.

Conor:
IBeing within 10 miles of the largest defence school of driving we have to put up with these morons on a daily basis.

Leconfield and the whole East Yorkshire area was a regular haunt for me in the past, can’t say I ever found those nervous looking squaddies to be a problem, not like the moronic car drivers going in and out of Driffield Eastgate car park who couldn’t work out how to drive around the stabiliser leg of my hiab :unamused:

Franglais:
An awful lot conclusions bring made from a small supply of hard facts it appears.

Isnt it always on this board tho?

I never thought of why they were moving - I just thought they wer moving equipment. Didnt think “rubber duck looks like we got a convoy”.

Firstly im amazed ( Admin ) has allowed this post and comments to carry on .
Drivers making their own assumptions and accusations ( Slander/defamation ) who are obvously wasted at being HGV drivers and should of been in the police or taken up the rolls .
A fellow driver has died he has family , the military personel involved they have familys and they could well of been ( training ) to do a job one of which could be deployment to a hostile country they serve for Queen and country .
NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED OR THE REASONS WHY !!!

flapper:
Firstly im amazed ( Admin ) has allowed this post and comments to carry on .
Drivers making their own assumptions and accusations ( Slander/defamation ) who are obvously wasted at being HGV drivers and should of been in the police or taken up the rolls .
A fellow driver has died he has family , the military personel involved they have familys and they could well of been ( training ) to do a job one of which could be deployment to a hostile country they serve for Queen and country .
NO ONE KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED OR THE REASONS WHY !!!

Well we do not live in a dictatorship yet.
We are all allowed to speculate. Just like people on Facebook or any other social media site.
The fact that the media released the story means it is public information.

I have not seen any defamation in this thread though or slander. Just speculation.

So the media released it it does’nt give anyone the right to speculate or make any i’ll formed judgments at what could of or not happened and making judgments who is to blame , when a human being fellow driver has died .
I too have read the post’s and if you feel there is nothing out of place carry on .