Hermes

Not after job info
But has anyone had any experience either good or bad when using Hermes to deliver or revive a parcel
I just hope mines a one off more later if feed back matches my last week

Personally, I’ve had good experiences with Hermes.

But the end of the chain (person who collects/delivers) really is the key to it.

They seem to mostly be women using private cars and only get about 40p a parcel.So you can’t expect miracles: some do a good job, others feel they are being exploited and don’t take much trouble.You can find loads of complaints from Hermes agents and their customers on the web.

The worst parcel co in my experience is DHL. I found they were incapable of finding an address other than by sat/nav postcode, and they then just dump it at the nearest house to wherever the van stops…they don’t check the house number!

They then have the cheek to tell you that the parcel has been delivered…and the matter is over. They can’t even tell you which house they delivered it to, just the name of the person who signed for it.

It’s known as Dropped, Hidden or Lost for good reason, in my opinion.

I’ve sent many parcels through Hermes and received one and have never had a problem with it although I always pay for a signature on arrival.

They also offer drop off’s now at certain retailers which is great for me as I pass two on the way to and from work everyday and less likely to get forgotten about as there are usually about 40 parcels there waiting for the courier.

Top company, well recommended.
Online ordering, pay by PayPal or card, they collect for a small fee, always a happy driver. Deliveries are left in an agreed safe place if Mrs F is not around. You can arrange a collection from someone else and get it delivered home or even another place.
Jobs a good 'un.
Cheers
Paul

I’ve sent a few things with no issue, they take a few days but as long as its not high value its not a problem.

I see them getting a good bit of business now Royal Mails parcel prices are rocketing next month.

Poor,

Dont pay their staff fairly

Rather pay more to keep someone in a job.

Poor,

Dont pay their staff fairly

Rather pay more to keep someone in a job.

That may apply to the self employed couriers but untill I left they were paying decent wages to their own staff.

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho … ?t=3924747

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho … ?t=4430145

Etc etc etc.

Ken.

takemehome:
I’ve sent many parcels through Hermes and received one and have never had a problem with it although I always pay for a signature on arrival.

Same for me.

found them , good , collecting , items , no more standing in ques at the post office for me , only gripe is they do not take items over 15kg , there rates are very good , compared to others

I’ve had 3 parcels delivered by them. First parcel left outside in full view, phoned and complained and instructed them in future to leave with neighbour, and under no circumstances leave the parcel in full view. Second parcel may or may not have arrived, card was left but no sign of parcel, and not left with neighbour. Third parcel was delivered, to the door, and signed for because for once the courier opened his eyes and used the door knocker.
Absolute shower of …
I thought Yodel were bad, but Hermes manage to take ineptness to another level.

It costs me £1700 per year with a £950 excess to insure my wee wheelbarrow for H&R courier insurance and another £160 for GiT + PL. How many of the self employed car drivers delivering parcels for Hermes, Yodel and the like are covered by the CORRECT insurances when out and about undercutting and ruining the job for those that do the job properly with regard to all risks covered ?
I know … self insured etc etc, but how good in the event of a claim against said car driver?

On a slightly different note. Can anyone recommend a parcel service UK > Portugal (Lisbon) with a weight > 10kg

If it’s an urgent one I could do a dedicated vehicle service and the cost would be about … including ferries, tolls, etc £****.** (plus vat) … erm, bit expensive me thinks :wink:

edit … google parcelmonkey

I was thinking more along the lines of sending my camping gear down to my mates place later this year ready for July, riding down on the bike stopping off at hotels, and picking it up at his, before spending the week or so down at the Faro bike show, and camping on the way back up, & stopping of at a few other events in the North near Chaves.
The cost in fuel for me to carry it from the Uk would offset the cost of the parcel to Lisbon, especially as I`m heading to Corsica and the Swiss & Italian alps before making a mad 3 day dash from Grindelwald to Lisbon

GasGas:
It’s known as Dropped, Hidden or Lost for good reason, in my opinion.

DHL = RICHARD HEAD LOGISTICS :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

raymundo:
It costs me £1700 per year with a £950 excess to insure my wee wheelbarrow for H&R courier insurance and another £160 for GiT + PL. How many of the self employed car drivers delivering parcels for Hermes, Yodel and the like are covered by the CORRECT insurances when out and about undercutting and ruining the job for those that do the job properly with regard to all risks covered ?
I know … self insured etc etc, but how good in the event of a claim against said car driver?

I suspect most are not…the various courier forums are full of dodges to explain the packages in your car if you get stopped. I don’t see how the job can pay at 40p a drop. According to the not very generous Inland Revenue, it costs 45p a mile to run a private car on business use. These companies are the reason that the legitimate parcel businesses using liveried vans and with insurance etc struggle.

The liveried so called respectable companies will only pay about 55p per mile for a transit LWB so for that reason I refuse to work with/for them types.

quote … ‘the various courier forums are full of dodges to explain the packages in your car if you get stopped’

That would or should take a lot of explaining, lots of packages in the back all with different addresses ■■. Can’t see how that can be anything apart from invalidating the normal car insurance so IMHO that ought to be 6 points and £200 fine for driving without insurance for everyone doing it UNLESS they hold in their name a H&R policy. Even if one could be found the cost would drive them off the road overnight (good pun eh?) which would be a bloody good idea.
My sons sister in law does it for Yodel and she says she is covered by her normal car insurance and with a bit of help from Yodel, what ever that mean !! but she is a woman so can’t be told :slight_smile:

peirre:
On a slightly different note. Can anyone recommend a parcel service UK > Portugal (Lisbon) with a weight > 10kg

UPS via www.interparcel.com will be around £25