Hermes anybody?

I’ve looked through the Hermes thread here, but they’re all older posts.

I recently signed up with an agency for Class 1 trunking from the Rugby depot.

Did the interview and was booked in for an assessment this morning. Turned up and the transport manager knew nothing about it. Fair play, he was apologetic and cursed all things agency recruiters and I’m now booked in to do it early next week.

While I was waiting a night shift driver came in to sign out. This poor soul looked like he’d spent the night homeless, dirty and disheveled. I said, ‘Morning, a hard night then?’ He looked at me, said ‘F**k it’ and walked out! :open_mouth:

Was he a time traveler come to warn me, or just ■■■■■■ off with it all? :laughing:

Anyone work/worked for Hermes as an agency driver recently?

I’ve never worked for or know anyone that works for them, but all I will say is, go in and determine the job for yourself.
The job is only as hard as you make it.
Some people make mountains out of mole hills and if you go to a job thinking the worst, then it’s going to be bad.
Just chill out and do the job to the best of your abilities.

Sent using smoke signals

I worked for the Coventry depot for nearly 4 years as a Class 2 and then Class 1. Was considering going to Rugby but ended up working for somewhere else now. From what I’ve heard from the Rugby drivers, the job is generally easy on nights because you are just going to other Hermes depots but you are not allowed to stop on route. There’s also in cab cameras watching the driver if that bothers you. One agency driver was complaining he was only getting 6 hour shifts.

A shifty…

Move by the agency there. The old ‘we arranged it last week’ trick. Still it’s got you in there.

If you get the job just go in with an open mind. No point in worrying about what may very well not happen.

I’ve worked with drivers who would worry about the traffic around Bordeaux as we were leaving Lisbon. Deal with things as they appear.

yourhavingalarf:
I’ve worked with drivers who would worry about the traffic around Bordeaux as we were leaving Lisbon. Deal with things as they appear.

I like the drivers that worry about ‘rush hour’ when you can’t miss it. You leave the yard at 8am you hit traffic, if you leave at 7am you hit traffic 1hr further down the road and so on. It it will happen, all you can try and plan is timing journeys so you don’t hit bad pinch points maybe but some worry too much the day before leaving.

yourhavingalarf:
If you get the job just go in with an open mind. No point in worrying about what may very well not happen.

Going into an agency job, as you say, just go in and do it.
If you are quitting a reasonable full time job to better yourself, a bit more concern is justified, of course.

MrFaulconbridge:
One agency driver was complaining he was only getting 6 hour shifts

That is a good hint for GrandPa to check on his guarantees from his agency. Good shout.

Isn’t Hermes that one at burtonwood? If it is I was doing from there to Maidstone ( not sure how you’d do that without a break ) and then back to burtonwood & Park up until next day , but never got back , they had to take tris off me

Most Hermes drivers overnight are constantly on the limiter including through the 50mph road works. Get onto a diversion such as up the A34 and you get them and also TNT trying to whizz round you in roundabouts. One ended up halfway up a grass verge and slammed on to a stop once when trying to go round me and realised all of a sudden 2 artics couldn’t pass the roundabout. And before anyone starts blurting on about why didn’t I anticipate that as a professional driver and all that ■■■■ I’d already taken my position BEFORE he moved out and attempted to do that manoeuvre.

I don’t know, all these parcel firms seems to be rush rush rush rush rush and speed limits, driving standards, and road safety come second. I don’t know whether that comes from management or if it’s just the culture to drive like that in the same way a lot of tipper drivers rush about.

Often see parcel company drivers doing other stupid stuff like moving back out into a red X lane to get to the front of the queue to filter in. I’m not saying it’s all of them, and other drivers on other types of work do it but as an observation from working nights for some time I’d say the parcel lads are up these antics a lot more than others.

So if your interested in working for one of these firms then take that as you will.

I’ve unfortunately done a bit for them. An almighty pile of gash.

In-cab camera’s, spotty teenagers in the orifice tracking you, harsh braking lectures/investigations :unamused: etc…

Marginally better than the dole in my view. EDIT; On second thoughts given the crap start times and 10 hour drives, it’s not.

MrFaulconbridge:
I worked for the Coventry depot for nearly 4 years as a Class 2 and then Class 1. Was considering going to Rugby but ended up working for somewhere else now. From what I’ve heard from the Rugby drivers, the job is generally easy on nights because you are just going to other Hermes depots but you are not allowed to stop on route. There’s also in cab cameras watching the driver if that bothers you. One agency driver was complaining he was only getting 6 hour shifts.

The Hermes through an agency is a return to class 1 after years away from it. Previously worked agencies for BT (best job I ever had), Asda, Sainsbury’s and Tesco (forgot to open the window and got myself banned for smoking in the cab! :blush: ).

Yes, a camera in the cab I’d consider an gross invasion of privacy and would make it quite clear to both Hermes and the agency that I wouldn’t be there long. I’m in talks with Culina (Great Bear) at the moment going full time. Maybe it’s a something special about that place, but the process of picky managers you have to go through is mind blowing. They pay well though.

I work out of there as a sub driver.

It’s alrite,Straight forward on nights.
I don’t rush but having spoke to some of the mark Thompson lads it seems that Warrington -Maidstone or Weybridge can get desperate for time if you run in to traffic and road closures.

Try it and see…You might like it
100% not down for the inside camera thou.

buses:
I work out of there as a sub driver.

It’s alrite,Straight forward on nights.
I don’t rush but having spoke to some of the mark Thompson lads it seems that Warrington -Maidstone or Weybridge can get desperate for time if you run in to traffic and road closures.

Try it and see…You might like it
100% not down for the inside camera thou.

I have no objection to a tracking system, or an outward facing front camera. It’s their vehicle and their choice, but I will not work for 10-12 hours with a camera pointing in my face, full stop! It’s not a regulation or law and if it’s their company policy, I refuse. Likewise, if I’m dying for a ■■■■ at 2am in the morning I stop the truck and take two minutes out.

I’ll do the assessment early next week and then make very plain my own feelings and if what is said about not being able to stop for a quick ■■■■ or the cab camera, that’s where we part company.

To those with objections about inward facing cameras, where do you shop ?
And if ‘crap’ start times and 10hr drives are a problem, does £40k+ pa change your mind ?

Dav1d:
And if ‘crap’ start times and 10hr drives are a problem, does £40k+ pa change your mind ?

Who goes shopping 15 hours a day?

Dav1d:

No, a salary wouldn’t personally change my mind. We can spend long hours in a cab and I object to having a camera a foot away from my face staring at me for half my life. No wonder they didn’t say anything about this in the recruitment ad.

Dav1d:

I’m sure you are aware that you can only do 2 x 10 hour drives per week. The other (let’s say 3) shifts mean that you can drive for 9.

Assuming you spend a short time checking your wagon/trailer, you drive for 4 hrs 20 mins and then have 45 mins and then drive for another 4 hrs 20 or so, after break deductions you will get paid for approx 10 hours (maximum).

3 x 10 hrs = 30. Let’s say 2 x 11 hrs pay for the other two extended drive shifts, a total paid hours of around 52. £40k PA works out around £770 per week (gross). £770 divided by 52 works out at £14.80 per hour.

So to summise, UNLESS YOU ARE WORKING NIGHTS AS A LTD DRIVER AND BATTERING THE HOURS,…PLEASE STOP TALKING COMPLETE AND UTTER ■■■■■■■■. I’ve worked for Mark out of there and done a bit direct and you will not earn £40k at Hermes.

Another thing to know about these jokers is your induction is unpaid.During quieter times, you aren’t guaranteed your 8 hours.Horrible place to work and I challenge anyone to sit in that canteen, in Burtonwood listening to that Yank, laying the law down to a load of spotty kids and not wanting to go full on Michael Ryan.

bobbya:

Dav1d:

Who goes shopping 15 hours a day?

my bleeding missus :open_mouth:

Someone I know has been there for about 18 months and loves it. It like any other job it might suit you or you think its a load of crap. Give it a go you nothing to lose, but remember its a blue chip high profile firm so it be full of H & S crap and you wont be allowed to think for yourself.

I had 8 units in Tamworth on traction. If you like being micmicro managed, and treated like dirt, and hounded for delays when out of you control, then go ahaead