Heres a stupid question for you all

topgear.com/blogs/planettopg … -with-you/

Make him beg for mercy with replies…

quite agree with him.

in fact a very good post by him.

"I just wanted to hear a trucker’s side of the story. Is there some reason why? Is there some benefit I’m yet to fathom? "

Fair question. Sure as hell I don’t know the answer.

Stan

Because we can… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

no but he is right I feel very sorry for him…whats his “reg” number! :laughing:

Bet he drives a BMW or a Mondeo? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Clarky:
Because we can… :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

no but he is right I feel very sorry for him…whats his “reg” number! :laughing:

Bet he drives a BMW or a Mondeo? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:unamused: :unamused:

agree with him why is it done

Maybe its done to stop [zb] reps running up the side and forcing there way in causing the people on the right who have pulled in when the signs tell you to to wait longer !
Altho i did once see a bus driver take it to extreams on the M6 where the 3rd lane was out and a a guy in a range rover was trying to push past him , as a result the bus(with passangers) forced him up on central reservation !

if you have to alter the spelling to get past the auto censor that’s a clue it’s not allowed …Denis F

Truck drivers do this to stop idiots who race through the last minute to filter into lane one. To slow these car drivers down helps prevent this happening and can avoid accidents.

IF everyone understood the concept of zip-merging and applied it correctly there would be no need for wannabe traffic police truckers to do this. As I see it there are faults on both sides. I won’t do it but I can understand the frustration of those that do.

Places with road works for a long period of time where there is a lane drop have somtimes got signs up saying “Use Both Lanes”.

Problem is 3/4 of the cars jump into lane 1 half a mile before the lane drop, at speed and tailgate the car infront leaving no room. So when the other 1/4 of vehicles in the other lane try to get in, the vehicles in lane one have got to slow down or stop.

If more people used all the lanes right up until the lane drop and people left a decent gap things would flow a lot more smoothly and prob a lot less congestion.

Its a joke, even pretty light traffic can suddenly turn into a traffic jam when a single lane is removed.

Sorry Kenny, that is the cause of the problem. When people merge earlier the traffic moves quicker. If Im miss reading you I apologise beforehand but the problem seems to be people (Mr Coathanger Man) who goes screaming up to the lane closure and then trys to muscle in and as a result the traffic stops.
Not much different to bombing down the 3rd lane and then chopping everyone up as he cuts across all the lanes to get off (As if he doesnt know the junction is there)
Just for the sake of forward planning

Trucks block, cars get frustrated. Cars begin to hate truckers. Talks break down, global thermonuclear war.

thats a bit much from a bit of bad driving, makes me think that a quibble over short change would lead to anarchy

Last time I zip merged in what can be called Luton southbound M1 overnight closures very heavy traffic … :laughing:
I ended up right up against the cones with people in cars not letting me in , they had to let me go when they realised I wasn’t knocking cones over or stopping and waiting …
Rather more merging into the turn and seeing how many more cars would liek to argue with the trailer …
:laughing:

Mongs the lot of them , they don’t want you in front and thats it :unamused:

Signs that say ‘Use both Lanes’ means use both lanes all the way
up to the convergence.
It’s the drivers that don’t do this that get frustrated when everybody
else wants to.
Then those frustrated drivers pull out and straddle both lanes attemping to block those that want to obey the signs.

In summary, they bring it upon themselves.

Anybody who intentionally blocks a piece of usable road-space
should get a ticket, and a life.

Ah, the TTF - Trucker Traffic Police, numpties every last one of them. I agree with the bloke on that other site, it makes no sense at all why they do it.

Fallmonk:
Maybe its done to stop [zb] reps running up the side and forcing there way in causing the people on the right who have pulled in when the signs tell you to to wait longer

The signs saying Merge Now are usually at the cones while the others are mearly advising there is a lane closure ■■■ metres ahead. If people choose to move over early and not use all the available road then that is there choice but why should they then try to make everybody merge at the random point they have chosen.

scanialady142:
Truck drivers do this to stop idiots who race through the last minute to filter into lane one.

Why are they idiots? They are doing nothing other than merging at the clearly defined merge point. The roads are congested enough as it is so when there are 1, 2, 3 or more miles removed from the network by a lane closure for roadworks who in their right mind would want to remove even more perfectly usable road from the network by preventing other motorists from using it? The cones mark the merge point, you don’t have to merge several hundred yards before that just because there is an information sign warning of a lane closure ahead - the clue is in the word ahead., If you do chose to merge a long way before the cones that is your choice and you shouldn’t then try to force your randomly chosen merge point on others because of some misguided sense of injustice. People who do this should be nicked for it.

I agree with what Coffeeholic said. They should put “merge in turn” signs at the point where the lane disappears and police it with a camera and fixed penalty notices, and then any percieved “problem” with people queue jumping goes away.

Paul

Kenny1975:
Places with road works for a long period of time where there is a lane drop have somtimes got signs up saying “Use Both Lanes”.

Problem is 3/4 of the cars jump into lane 1 half a mile before the lane drop, at speed and tailgate the car infront leaving no room. So when the other 1/4 of vehicles in the other lane try to get in, the vehicles in lane one have got to slow down or stop.

If more people used all the lanes right up until the lane drop and people left a decent gap things would flow a lot more smoothly and prob a lot less congestion.

Its a joke, even pretty light traffic can suddenly turn into a traffic jam when a single lane is removed.

Sensible post Kenny, and don’t forget, most times we’re allowed in the outside lane aswell. I tend to just go steadily down the outside lane indicate back in at about 200 yards and very rarely have a problem. It’s taken me a long time to work this out mind, just the Brittish queuing mentality I reckon :unamused:

renaultman:
… just the Brittish queuing mentality I reckon :unamused:

That’s the major part of it, people getting irate about drivers jumping a queue when the queue actually only exists in their mind because they chose to merge early.

Coffeeholic:

renaultman:
… just the Brittish queuing mentality I reckon :unamused:

That’s the major part of it, people getting irate about drivers jumping a queue when the queue actually only exists in their mind because they chose to merge early.

I agree, zip-merging is the way to go. More signs telling people to zip-merge would help.

However, I have to agree with others that the Brits like nothing better than queueing. Watching people this morning at the end of the M53 right near the Wallasey tunnel, as soon as the traffic slows they dive for lane 1. Why? The traffics doing about 4mph and there are no other exits after the dock road exit! Where do they think they are going ffs?! :imp: :imp: :unamused:

repton:
I agree with what Coffeeholic said. They should put “merge in turn” signs at the point where the lane disappears and police it with a camera and fixed penalty notices, and then any percieved “problem” with people queue jumping goes away.

Paul

Fine in theory. What makes you think that the most likely people to jump the queue ( kids in hot hatches, reps, high-flying executives who think that only they should be in front) would actually take a blind bit of notice of it?

And did you really mean it when you suggested ANOTHER use for cameras? :confused:

I always use the following analogy when someone raises this point; “If you were in a queue in Tesco’s and someone barged right to the front, you wouldn’t like it would you? What’s the difference?”