Henry long transport

No , not Dingy!
always good for a giggle when wound up!!
Eddie from longs lives up Thornton Rd and is still active, see him regular.

jj72:

jessicas dad:
my dad was quite happy driving for ugi meters in streatham before henry longs came along took all the work and poor old dad was dumped out of a job.

:imp:

odd comment from you alex? :confused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

why’s that its a fact my dad used to have a good job driving for ugi then henry long came took over all the work and all the drivers for ugi got laid off.

thought id give this ago again any pics boys or some of other bradford firms :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jessicas dad:

jj72:

jessicas dad:
my dad was quite happy driving for ugi meters in streatham before henry longs came along took all the work and poor old dad was dumped out of a job.

why’s that its a fact my dad used to have a good job driving for ugi then henry long came took over all the work and all the drivers for ugi got laid off.

I used to deliver to Smiths meters (UGI) in Rowan rd Streatham quite regular, what a dreadful place to reverse into , I had an a frame drawbar outfit, I can only remember their motors being operated by BRS/Exel (MAN wagon n drags Aylesford kent depot) but why would a Yorkshire firm contract a couple of motors to a South London manufacturer ?
I can recall going there in the 80’s when they got a raid from customs who took the entire nightshift workers (About 90 people) away as suspected illegal immigrants :open_mouth: I never understood why a big firm got involved with that type of operation.

Trev_H:

jessicas dad:

jj72:

jessicas dad:

I used to deliver to Smiths meters (UGI) in Rowan rd Streatham quite regular, what a dreadful place to reverse into , I had an a frame drawbar outfit, I can only remember their motors being operated by BRS/Exel (MAN wagon n drags Aylesford kent depot) but why would a Yorkshire firm contract a couple of motors to a South London manufacturer ?
I can recall going there in the 80’s when they got a raid from customs who took the entire nightshift workers (About 90 people) away as suspected illegal immigrants :open_mouth: I never understood why a big firm got involved with that type of operation.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

my dad remembers that night as well. it used to be a well cushy number, you used to get 5 days to go to livingston and back. once a driver got back on a wed night and parked the lorry outside his house for 2 days… a neighbour phone to complain and the transport manager told them to mind thier own business. then exel took over money went and everybody left, apparently its all closed down now. proberly make the meters in poland now.

stravaiger:
Peter Davies

great pic mate see if anyone has anymore to add :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

again mate you done us all proud i hope you can get some more :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

anyone got anymore pictures of Longs AECs■■?

Hi,all the powerliner mercs got re/painted in A ONE red when a one took over

taken one of these mercs for a tacho cheak dropped the limiter plug and was doing over 90 mph on the rollers WOW

wonder if any of their AEC`s survived :question:

anyone got any pictures of Longs older stuff??

dreva:
yeah like i said johns in spain last time i saw paul henry he was working for stobarts he might have retired now his son still works at northside trucks :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ref Paul Henry. He went to a ones reunion on the 13th of november along with Denis Burke, i spoke to both of them and they are both retired.

del949:
Dreva, a couple of names to conjour with, Eddie Robinson,Terry Mortimer, Keith Parkin, and the guy who ran the truck wash but never put any soap in it because he had a sideline…!
used to take unit and trailer for a wash on saturday mornings and all that was in the wash was fesh water.
Longs always had a smart looking fleet, even when they were in Manningham.

I don’t know all the above named drivers but i do know Terry Mortimer,and i was told quite some time ago that Terry had sadly passed away. Also lost to us is Terry Leighton another old longs driver. I attended his funeral. RIP.

Hi All. Here’s two more names that i remember and haven’t heard of for some years. Jeff Townend and Jeff Cowley. I haven’t seen or heard of them for some years now. Anybody know where they are. They where both Henry Longs drivers for many years.

del949:
if you go to the branch meetings, you know me!!

I am only guessing but you could be Lenny Schofield,also at a one’s reunion.

Anyone remember Alan Holdsworth from Pickersgills? Used to drink with Alan in the Lilycroft when he left Picks and took over a paper shop on Lilycroft road. Last I heard of him he had an angling shop at Girlington.

The last time i saw Jeff he was working for an agency but that must be over 3 years ago he did work for Tanks and Drums till they got bought out ,Tony Daynes was there too

Midnight:
Hi All. Here’s two more names that i remember and haven’t heard of for some years. Jeff Townend and Jeff Cowley. I haven’t seen or heard of them for some years now. Anybody know where they are. They where both Henry Longs drivers for many years.

MY LANDLADY IS LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION ON HER DAD ((( DONALD LIGHTFOOT )) HE WORKED FOR LONG IN THE 60s DO YOU KNOW WHAT HE DROVE WHAT HE DID SHE WILL BE HAPPY TO KNOW SHE WHENT WITH HIM WHEN SHE WAS SMALL MAY BE YOU HAVE A PHOTO OF HIM IF YOU HAVE ANY THING EMAIL ME ON stuartb08@hotmail.co.uk many thanks stuart broughton

I asked my dad he was there in the 60s and early 70s but he cant remember he`s loosing his memory now at 78,mind i mention a few Longs registrations on here and he put the right lorry to them

stuart broughton:
MY LANDLADY IS LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION ON HER DAD ((( DONALD LIGHTFOOT )) HE WORKED FOR LONG IN THE 60s DO YOU KNOW WHAT HE DROVE WHAT HE DID SHE WILL BE HAPPY TO KNOW SHE WHENT WITH HIM WHEN SHE WAS SMALL MAY BE YOU HAVE A PHOTO OF HIM IF YOU HAVE ANY THING EMAIL ME ON stuartb08@hotmail.co.uk many thanks stuart broughton