Help with job decision

Hi guys.for a while I’ve been watching the threads on here and see most of yous have a lot of exp in haulage.so id like to ask your opinion.I’ve held a class 1 now for just under 2 years so my exp in this has been limited to agency’s.my. problem his I’ve been n offered a job with a big company here on class 1s but I already have a job driving rigids on a 4 on 4 off night shifts. Granted I only work approx half the yearbut I rarey get any time with my partner and son. This new job would be mon to fri with every second sat.works out about the same money.so my question is would yous leave a easy job to break into the hgv scene in a big way.thanks for any input given

No, if money is not a lot of difference then stick to the 4 and 4, I know you work weekends doing that but those 4 days off are heaven, I know cos I done it for 5 yrs.

Ok thanks

Surely 4 on 4 off would give you more leisure time with loved ones than working Mon to Fri ?

No. You’re seeing your family on your 4 days off are you not? It’s a big difference going from 4 on 4 off to 5 days plus every other Sat, I know, I’ve done it.

4 and 4 is great for taking kids to school picking them up, also great during school holidays.

Its night shifts so I find iam coming home there up and ready to go where they need to.4 days off is great but as partner is mon to fri I could be off they days.also as its constent nights I feel like I never see anybody but I do see its a good number in other respects.if I was to go day shift id prob loose a lot prob end up on 17 a year

If you switch to class 1 there’s every chance you will be out the door before they get up and won’t be back in before their bedtime. Depends on the type of work this firm does and are you saying they pay £17,000 p.a.?

No soz the firm iam with the now if I went to days id only be approx 17000 pa and there is no chance of o/t to bolster that up a bit.the new job would ve containers and curtainsiders in the local area.no nights out unless I ask for them.after 8 hours its time and a half.

44 Tonne Ton:
If you switch to class 1 there’s every chance you will be out the door before they get up and won’t be back in before their bedtime. Depends on the type of work this firm does and are you saying they pay £17,000 p.a.?

Agree with this. At least on your weekdays off now, you know you will definitely see them every evening.Also you only need to take 4 days hols to get 12 days off.
No guarantee with new job. You may also find the Saturdays become a more regular occurence too or that you may be tempted to do extra ones thereby putting yourself in a worse position.
Remember, whatever the boss told you about the new job he will be lying or not telling you the whole truth(they just cant help themselves) so make allowances for a worst case scenario.
Personally I would stay where you are.

Cheers guys yous cleared it up for me.take care

glasgowman:
Hi guys.for a while I’ve been watching the threads on here and see most of yous have a lot of exp in haulage.so id like to ask your opinion.I’ve held a class 1 now for just under 2 years so my exp in this has been limited to agency’s.my. problem his I’ve been n offered a job with a big company here on class 1s but I already have a job driving rigids on a 4 on 4 off night shifts. Granted I only work approx half the yearbut I rarey get any time with my partner and son. This new job would be mon to fri with every second sat.works out about the same money.so my question is would yous leave a easy job to break into the hgv scene in a big way.thanks for any input given

take it,unless you want to stay driving puddle jumpers for the rest of your days,take the job,couple of years getting into the grove of driving artics then you can look around for something that suits you better,but you may also like the job you originally thought youd not like.
i know loads who started on w/ends etc but after getting there foot under door now work mon-fri,always folks leaving so oppertunities to change shift patterns comming up

ady1:
take it,unless you want to stay driving puddle jumpers for the rest of your days,take the job,couple of years getting into the grove of driving artics then you can look around for something that suits you better,but you may also like the job you originally thought youd not like.
i know loads who started on w/ends etc but after getting there foot under door now work mon-fri,always folks leaving so oppertunities to change shift patterns comming up

Well, if Ady says “take it”…
STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!! :smiling_imp: Seriously, unless there is an overwhelming benefit to moving, I think I’d stay on 4 nights on, 4 off. All the best.

I see your point ady1.I got my licences because I wanted to drive trucks, the bigger the better.the job iam in is dementing.iam only 27 the thought of doing this till I retire gives me the shivers lol and id be gaing exp but family life is important to me to bit of a catch 22

glasgowman:
No soz the firm iam with the now if I went to days id only be approx 17000 pa and there is no chance of o/t to bolster that up a bit.the new job would ve containers and curtainsiders in the local area.no nights out unless I ask for them.after 8 hours its time and a half.

These two things don’t go together! It’s a fact of life in this game that way too many bosses will tell you any old cobblers to get you on board. Once you’ve jumped ship you get royally humped! What’s driving you mad with the current job?

Its just silly things to be honest that goes with every other job but the main thing is not being on the road as much ie seeing diffrent places.its all based in the local area seeing the same and doing the same things.iam like a lot of people who get the "two year itche"I just miss a bit of variety but as you say the the two wont go hand in hand, probably trying to convince myself other wise lol.

There is no shame driving a small lorry even if you have a licence to drive an Airbus A380, kids family, home life against 15 hour days, half of which you probably don’t get paid for.

Hand balling a full load off a 7.5tonner is far easier than hand balling a full load from a 44tonner.

Some people go to work to get away from the family, some go to work to spend more time with them, it is a balancing act but your kids grow up quick, you will regret missing that.

Just my 2 centsd but here is what i would do,

Take the class 1 job for sure, ive done 4 on 4 off and it always seems like your working the weekends, plus your working nights so im betting your leaving the house at either the kids teatime or bedtime right.

Its practially impossible to find a class 1 job driving Mon-Fri on days, also you mention its local work so im guessing theres not to many 15 hour shifts.

Snap that class 1 job up mate, or tell me where it is :slight_smile:

I did permanent nights similar to you for 10 years +, on a similar shift pattern,

though I did leave and now work days driving locals, point is when i worked nights I loved the time off i got, I got to look after my 2 oldest boys whilst they were little, taking to school ect, got jobs done at home whilst everyone was out the way, found I actually spent more quality time with my family, however i had to leave this job and as said I work days now and though the lads are a lot older I,ve also got a little girl that i find i dont have the time to spend with her like i did with my boys, and tbh i miss this, I do take time off to sometimes do the the school run ect and then go to work, so my employer is good in that way that he will let me start later at times when its quiet…

personally I would go back to night work in similar shift pattern…

prob i found though with working nights is that you do have too much time to think! any little problem seems to be blown out of proportion a bit. as you say you dont get to see folk so these little probs prey on your mind a little, well they did with me anyway…

Given that your family life is clearly important to you, if I were you I’d take the class 1 job, but I’d be clarifying the specifics of the job first just to be sure there’s no misunderstandings about the hours, Sats and night outs. The red flag for me is the ‘container work’ bit. 9 times out of 10 this involves working close to your max hours so if there’s no nights out you may find yourself starting at 6 on a morning and not finishing til 9 at night.

Personally I’d take it to get the class 1 exp if that’s what you need. If the job doesn’t suit you then there is nothing forcing you to stay there and you can always move to something else.