Help on which tacho mode to use?

Hi lads as a tanker driver I spend a bit of time waiting in line to load. Sometimes could be 2 or 3 trucks in front of me each taking 20/30 min to load.

At times I try take my 15/30 mines rest if i require it to stay legal driving time.

Was asking some of the other lads what mode they have the taco if they don’t require 15/45min. Some lads use rest all the time, others period of availability and some use other work.

What mode should it be on when waiting to load?

As you know the timescale I would say POA, but if a break was needed to help myself out I would use break. Other work is acceptable too as you will no doubt be in the traps raring to go.

Sounds like one of those situations its “Our” choice and whichever suits us the best, although ‘break’ is probably the naughtiest of the 3.

That the way I go, rest if I require 15/30 min but other than that I use PAO to keep my wtd hours down

It seems straight forward to me your eating to load you’re in a queue you should be on other work

If you get paid when on break put it on break, if not use POA. But as stated above any can be used and if you can’t decide use a different one each day, or play tacho lotto and hit the button a number of times and see what mode its on !!

I’d leave it on “Other Work”, but you could, if you needed to keep your hours down, book some POA.

Can’t disagree, no option is wrong here use whichever one suits your requirements the best and could be explained if called upon to do so. The tacho is not always the enemy, use it to suit your requirements when the option arises.

Course if your not paid for breaks then no way put it on a break :slight_smile:

If the expected delay is usually 30 mins and that’s how long you expect to wait, then the first 30 mins would be POA, anything after that would be other work.

If you were waiting for two in front of you then the expected delay might be 60 mins as POA, after that it would be other work and so on.

Or just other work all the way through, It’s up to you.

The point being, you must either ‘know’ the length of the delay or as in your example; ‘an expected’ delay of a certain amount of time.

if not driving or working and know the waiting time the driver has the legal choice of break - not rest - or POA
other work could be used but if not actually working then technically its illegal because its a false record - doubt any driver would get done for that though

ROG:
if not driving or working and know the waiting time the driver has the legal choice of break - not rest - or POA
other work could be used but if not actually working then technically its illegal because its a false record - doubt any driver would get done for that though

If on rest will this put up my wtd hours out of interest?

pump:

ROG:

Rog if he’s not driving or working then he would be on rest, he’s asking if he’s in a queue to load what can he use? Effectively, he’s waiting to load so ‘other work’ on the other hand, he knows how long the delay will likely be, so he can use POA for that specific amount of time whether it be 5mins or 5 hours, after that it’s other work.

REST and BREAK are two completely separate things under EU regs

fleettraineruk:

pump:

ROG:

Rog if he’s not driving or working then he would be on rest, he’s asking if he’s in a queue to load what can he use? Effectively, he’s waiting to load so ‘other work’ on the other hand, he knows how long the delay will likely be, so he can use POA for that specific amount of time whether it be 5mins or 5 hours, after that it’s other work.

The regs say that break can be used for recouperation and if waiting which is neither other work or driving then its 100% legal to use break
If you can show me in the regs where that is not legal then I will eat humble pie

pump:
Hi lads as a tanker driver I spend a bit of time waiting in line to load. Sometimes could be 2 or 3 trucks in front of me each taking 20/30 min to load.

At times I try take my 15/30 mines rest if i require it to stay legal driving time.

Was asking some of the other lads what mode they have the taco if they don’t require 15/45min. Some lads use rest all the time, others period of availability and some use other work.

What mode should it be on when waiting to load?

You know roughly how long you will be waiting so you can legally use either POA or break or other work, it’s your choice.

Personally if I wanted to keep the working time down I would use break, the digital tachograph counts POA as break and messes with the driving times on the display.

ROG:

fleettraineruk:

pump:

ROG:

The regs say that break can be used for recouperation and if waiting which is neither other work or driving then its 100% legal to use break
If you can show me in the regs where that is not legal then I will eat humble pie

Rog, with respect the driver must be able to freely dispose of his time. I agree with you in general but we are talking about someone waiting to load a tanker in a queue, in my own experience, when waiting to load a tanker in a queue…your not supposed to leave.

ROG:
REST and BREAK are two completely separate things under EU regs

Yer we know that…break then :unamused:

fleettraineruk:
with respect the driver must be able to freely dispose of his time. I agree with you in general but we are talking about someone waiting to load a tanker in a queue, in my own experience, when waiting to load a tanker in a queue…your not supposed to leave.

No he doesn’t, for daily and weekly rest perhaps but not for a break.

Don’t confuse daily/weekly rest periods and break periods

fleettraineruk:
Rog, with respect the driver must be able to freely dispose of his time. I agree with you in general but we are talking about someone waiting to load a tanker in a queue, in my own experience, when waiting to load a tanker in a queue…your not supposed to leave.

Sorry but that’s not correct, for a rest period you have to be able to freely dispose of the time, for a break you need to be able to use the time exclusively for recuperation.

If you know that the vehicle being loaded is going to take 20/30 minutes to load there’s no reason why you could not use that time for recuperation, and therefore use the time for a break.

There’s no regulation that says you have to be able to leave the area when on break.

chester:

fleettraineruk:
with respect the driver must be able to freely dispose of his time. I agree with you in general but we are talking about someone waiting to load a tanker in a queue, in my own experience, when waiting to load a tanker in a queue…your not supposed to leave.

No he doesn’t, for daily and weekly rest perhaps but not for a break.

Don’t confuse daily/weekly rest periods and break periods

Below was copy and pasted from VOSA site:

The bed symbol…Covers breaks in work and daily or weekly rest periods. Drivers may not carry out any driving or any other work. Break periods are to be used exclusively for recuperation. During a rest period a driver must be able to dispose freely of his time.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: I understand the two and am not confused, lets forget the ‘rest’ aspect. We are talking about a (brake) to be clear. The point I’m trying to get over is whilst waiting in a queue ( and I’m talking about our driver-not a driver sat in a loading bay) our driver would be waiting for the next driver to move forward, and when he does, our driver moves forward too. He is spending his time and attention watching the queue, therefore, in order to satisfy the above statement from VOSA regarding breaks, he is not using his time exclusively for recuperation.

If our driver did use the break mode then in all honesty, nothing would ever happen to him anyway and I don’t really think anyone gives a hoot. The op has lots of opinions to which he can now form his own on, I think were all singing from the same song sheet but just slightly out of tune with each other :laughing:

ROG:

Driving is out of the window as its an automatically selected mode.

Break is an option if the driver is recuperating exclusivley.

POA is an option if the driver knows how long his wait is and is not required to remain at his workstation. I’d guess if he’s in a queue though, that he’ll need to stay there, thus negating the POA requirements.

Other work which you think is ‘technically illegal’ because its a false record is actually described as …

– the times during which he cannot dispose freely of
his time and is required to be at his workstation,
ready to take up normal work, with certain tasks
associated with being on duty, in particular during
periods awaiting loading or unloading where their
foreseeable duration is not known in advance, that is
to say either before departure or just before the
actual start of the period in question, or under the
general conditions negotiated between the social
partners and/or under the terms of the legislation of

But somehow you think otherwork is illegal ? LOL !!
I’m just suprised you havn’t asked him to go back in time to a period when he may of had 90 hours off in one weekend. Oh, hang on, sorry forget that i was thinking of something else. Excuse me.