Help needed please

Hi, just wondering how you all get paid? My husbands boss has decided to pay him for just the hours he is driving. This will not include loading/unloading which is half of his job. Is this normal? Any advice greatly received. Thanks in advance truckers_wife

Early indication that your boss’s wife wants a new car or he is going skat might be time to move on.Sorry.

No, it’s not normal, hubby’s employer is obviously on the point of going bust, get out now and be prepared to fight for wages owing.

truckers_wife:
Hi, just wondering how you all get paid? My husbands boss has decided to pay him for just the hours he is driving. This will not include loading/unloading which is half of his job. Is this normal? Any advice greatly received. Thanks in advance truckers_wife

Someone’s having a laugh aren’t they ?

Time to move on with possibly a case for a constructive dismissal claim if he’s been there long enough.

tell the boss to supply a co-driver to do the unloading and loading and he doesnt get paid whilst your hubby does the driving and rests when not . bet that wont go down well.

not heard of any firm paying like that.

Some companies tried to bring this silly payment scheme in the 90s. Think most dropped it when they realised the trucks sat in the yard not turning a wheel. As others have said time to wave goodbye to the boss and find a proper job

Definitely get out if it before it gets worse, whats the name of the company?

Get out before it’s to late. Signs of a cash flow problem

Hi Truckers Wife,

As others have said, this practice suggests a cash flow problem - I would ask your husband to seriously consider jumping ship before he finds himself out of work and owed wages.

cieranc:
Hi Truckers Wife,

As others have said, this practice suggests a cash flow problem - I would ask your husband to seriously consider jumping ship before he finds himself out of work and owed wages.

and have problems paying the mortage and rent!

He might be paying £20 per hour for driving time, and he might be doing close to the 9hrs driving per day, so then it’d be ok.
BUT I DOUBT IT :laughing:

Not a bloody chance would I work for nothing, and that’s what that sounds like to me, tbh the driving is the easy part of the job, so if he doesn’t want to pay for the rest of the job, it doesn’t get done, including oil and water checks / top ups, loading or unloading etc.

truckers_wife:

hi there i’m sure the others have said the best advice should this turn out to be the truth !! although i’ve never heard of this before!! what he might of meant, was he was going on trip money and thats just a fixed price for the job done however long it takes
it usually means cost cutting but not as bad as not getting paid for anything but driving because he should have left by now non negotiable !!! hope it all works out take care

Harry Monk:
No, it’s not normal, hubby’s employer is obviously on the point of going bust, get out now and be prepared to fight for wages owing.

+1

Time to look for something else I would say, boss is either really struggling or is just chancing his luck, if that’s the case he doesn’t deserve to have a business. Not disputing the fact it’s tough out there as a haulier but if you can’t earn enough revenue to pay employees properly its destined to failure. Soon. :frowning:

Is it normal for a truckers wife to ask about how her husband gets paid? Yes.

I suppose he wants your husband to make him a cup of coffee too each morning as a thanks boss gesture :laughing:

As stated get another job ASAP if he can

If I was given that sort of contact, I’d be driving 90 hours per fortnight until I found another job, with that I still may not get to every delivery or collection on time. :wink:

When the wheels are turning, lorry is earning!!

truckers_wife:

I think your husbands boss has the right idea, most places tip/load for you while the driver is either sleeping, feeding his fat face, or spinning BS stories to anyone who’ll listen. Fair play to him, and I hope a lot more bosses take a leaf out of his book and follow suit.