Help needed, parked at owners risk?

Can anyone shed some light on what course of action I should take due to my car being damaged in the yard? A old chassis has been left in a corner of the yard for over a year now with no doors etc on it , and I’ve finished work today and the front o/s wing has got a massive dent and scratches in it due to the roof spoiler hitting it (I think it must of been the wind blowing it off) , there is no signs that im aware of saying cars left at owners risk so was wondering what “rights” I have if any? I’ve spoke to our boss and he said get an estimate from garage so fingers crossed he will get it done , but just if he comes back and says basically do1 do I have a leg to stand on ? Cheers

Smoggie89:
…was wondering what “rights” I have if any?

You have the right to remain silent.

A decent boss would sort it no questions asked.

Contraflow:

Smoggie89:
…was wondering what “rights” I have if any?

You have the right to remain silent.

A decent boss would sort it no questions asked.

Hopefully !! I’ll see if I can put up a pic !

Is it just the wing it’s hit?
If it is you’ll get a 2nd hand one for £30,bonnet too would be near £150 for both.
What year is the Passat?looks 2008 ish.

You probably haven’t got any rights as such. I think this is what insurance companies call “an act of god”.

Let’s hope your boss isn’t a prick …and don’t park your car next to the scrapper that’s falling apart next time.

Good luck.

xichrisxi:
If it is you’ll get a 2nd hand one for £30,bonnet too would be near £150 for both.

Yeah just the wing mate , it’s a 59 jetta had it from new. Don’t want to cause any hassle with the boss as it’s not personally his fault but it’s not mine either lol, asling as it looks like it did before I don’t care if it cost him £5

Contraflow:
You probably haven’t got any rights as such. I think this is what insurance companies call “an act of god”.

Let’s hope your boss isn’t a prick …and don’t park your car next to the scrapper that’s falling apart next time.

Good luck.

Fingers crossed lol , bit of a crap situation I know as I said above iknow it’s not anyone’s fault really but would be nice if he even paid half.

Smoggie89:

xichrisxi:

Yeah just the wing mate , it’s a 59 jetta had it from new. Don’t want to cause any hassle with the boss as it’s not personally his fault but it’s not mine either lol, asling as it looks like it did before I don’t care if it cost him £5

Have a word with him,if you go to a body repair shop their labour alone will be a few hundred plus parts,see if you you can source a wing in the same colour in eBay ect and ask your boss to cover the costs make it cheaper for him and saves you becoming unpopular with him by going to him with a £600 quote from the body shop.
The wing won’t be hard to change yourself tbh,normally just bolted on so case of u crewing them and changing it.

Here you go fella £130 delivered,new and painted to match your car…
ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/262227562821

The only thing about going 2nd hand is you may end up with a slightly different shade due to weathering ect,best to go with the above brand new option tbh.

A bit of T-Cut will get that out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers people I’ll have a ring around etc, I’d rather it cost say no more than 200 and there will be more chance of him paying lol , there is scratches on the bonnet aswell didn’t notice earlier was too busy looking at the wing !!

I cant see any damage. Maybe its because the pictures are too small. Can you make them a bit larger please? :laughing:

xichrisxi:

The only thing about going 2nd hand is you may end up with a slightly different shade due to weathering ect,best to go with the above brand new option tbh.

Would be better of with this: ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VOLKSWAG … SwZ1lWcZeq

It will actually fit the car and its a better quality panel. Should be a fine colour match, you will probably have to give the whole car a good polish and it will then be a perfect match.

mrginge:

xichrisxi:

Would be better of with this: ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-VOLKSWAG … SwZ1lWcZeq

It will actually fit the car and its a better quality panel. Should be a fine colour match, you will probably have to give the whole car a good polish and it will then be a perfect match.

I agree, I would always go for a factory painted panel off a similar aged vehicle if there is a choice. Freshly painted single panel has much more chance of standing out like a sore thumb and also there’s no risk the panel is aftermarket either.

You will probably need a load of replacement plastic trim clips for the wheelarch liner and bumper, if it needs to come off.

Contraflow:

Good luck.

what the chimp said

chester1:

Contraflow:

Good luck.

what the chimp said

If that’s the case then if I was ever going to witness an act of god I’d always imagined the parting of the seas or a huge plague locusts. I have to say some minor damage to the O/S/F wing of a VW Jetta has proved to be something of an anti-climax.

xichrisxi:

No idea how he manages to do that with metallic paint and on a car that is 7 years old with 7 years of paint fading. It might be the right paint code but it sure as hell won’t match.

Conor:

xichrisxi:

No idea how he manages to do that with metallic paint and on a car that is 7 years old with 7 years of paint fading. It might be the right paint code but it sure as hell won’t match.

Spoke to VW and its £150 for a new wing but it’s just in a primer, they said although the colour is silver there is about 10 variations lol needs spraying properly :frowning:

Conor:

xichrisxi:

a

Plus the wing will be half the weight of the genuine panel and rust within 3yrs.